Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 04:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Default Amazon to create multi-season Lord of the Rings series.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-t...nt-1202207065/

The Tolkien Estate being involved gives me more hope for this.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:01 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

$5 says they go for the edgy emulation of GoT.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:02 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm skeptical of how much involvement the Tolkien Estate will actually have, especially considering they will allegedly be working 'in cooperation with' the people responsible for the 'hugely successful LOTR movie franchise.'

Then again, if I'm reading that article correctly, it seems the Tolkien Estate was the one to start talks.

Best case scenario, Chris and the lads have finally decided to take the reigns and ensure the stories are done properly - rather than let the world plunge deeper into the rabbit hole down which such travesties as the hobbit trilogy and that recent orc simulator could be found.

Worst case, we're going to get more of the same absurdist fanfiction, and the estate just finally decided it wasn't worth holding out against the pressure of so many dollars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:04 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

This is going to be either amazing or total dogshit. My gut says the latter but I hope I'll be proven wrong.

Makes me wonder about Christopher's involvement though. He's really up there in age and he has fought his whole life to prevent his dad's work from being butchered. I can't help but feel he's either really impressed by what's going to happen or someone else in the estate is running the show.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:50 PM

Elune

I am rather ambivalent about this, big part of that is that I am tired of the constant retreading of well known stories by the media of today.

But I'll give it a shot, though maybe not right away.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I have yet to watch a single Amazon series, but this might be a first. Honestly, the only series I'm looking forward to watching right now is Better Call Saul (2018 can't come soon enough!) and I don't want to spend a bunch of money on stuff that isn't on Google Play or what I can switch on when the kids are in bed.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 PM

Priestess of the Moon

It'll be a low budget prequel. Fortunately we have no shortage of those.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 11-13-2017, 10:11 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Animated series would be the best. I don't think TV budget could be enough to make those BIG events.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:31 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
It'll be a low budget prequel. Fortunately we have no shortage of those.
They spent 250 million for the rights alone, it will have a massive budget.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Amazon has the resources to do this right, and they've done good work on other original series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I am more surprised at the Tolkien estate agreeing to it, especially after the mess that Jackson made of The Hobbit, but something tells me Christopher is either no longer calling the shots, or is trying to secure the long-term financial stability of the family before he kicks the bucket.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:45 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Amazon has the resources to do this right, and they've done good work on other original series, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I am more surprised at the Tolkien estate agreeing to it, especially after the mess that Jackson made of The Hobbit, but something tells me Christopher is either no longer calling the shots, or is trying to secure the long-term financial stability of the family before he kicks the bucket.

Either way, I'm looking forward to it.
Christopher hates all adaptations and changes, it's not good to put him on charge.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Christopher hates all adaptations and changes, it's not good to put him on charge.
He's 92, I doubt he will be involved much.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:29 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
He's 92, I doubt he will be involved much.
Exactly. He's either signed off completely, because he's five minutes from his dirt nap, or someone else is already calling the shots at the estate.

Fact is, you have to give up a little creative license to make this shit work. Books cannot possibly translate directly to movies or television without it.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:29 PM

Elune

I'm a bit more interested once I heard its a prequel/before the movies thing. I figured it was just going to be a rehash and lost all interest at that.

Still, don't think it'll turn out that good. They're clearly chasing the Game of Thrones money and lord only knows what they'll turn out, though with the Tolkein estate involved...

...then again, Shadow of War got that dumb sexy human Shelob thing going so who the fuck knows?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:39 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

With Chris out of the picture, who even knows what the Tolkien Estate looks like?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-14-2017, 06:21 PM

Elune

I like the idea that Christopher and the Tolkien estate want to be a part of this so that they can control the public perception of Lord of the Rings rather than Warner Bros.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I'm ok as long as nobody else plays A r w e n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
With Chris out of the picture, who even knows what the Tolkien Estate looks like?
Actually his dad was more open on movies and adaptation then him.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:16 AM

Eternal

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

There's only 3 LotR movies, and no more. Not perfect, but somewhat good. Those 3, and no more. I don't care what anyone else says. I DON'T CARE.

The Lord of the Rings is much like Star Wars, there's nothing once you move away from the main stories. The setting loses its purpose once the story is over, if it ever had any purpose to begin with.

What remains is cheap fanfiction with cheap references to the good stuff. That's it. The only way they can do it properly is to make their own separate stuff, much like the Star Wars prequels. Hate on them all you want, but they grew on their own direction, and gave us a setting that worked well once expanded, which the originals (and Disney's spinoffs) are unable to.

The point is though, LotR doesn't have any major elements to bridge that potential spinoff. The rings, the five wizards, and... that's pretty much it. So, the Second Age, leading to Sauron's defeat? Maybe Angmar and the Witch King? What else remains out there?

There aren't any other decent stories in Middle Earth anyway. The Hobbit could have been something good, but it was butchered with a retarded Marvel-esque approach. The Silmarillion wouldn't work, it's mythos, designed as "lore tidbits" for the main story.

Modern TV is garbage, and I don't trust them to do anything decent without an original material they can follow properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
$5 says they go for the edgy emulation of GoT.
This is why.

The Tolkien state probably saw the money and want a bit for themselves, this time with a better deal for their pockets.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

The point is though, LotR doesn't have any major elements to bridge that potential spinoff. The rings, the five wizards, and... that's pretty much it. So, the Second Age, leading to Sauron's defeat? Maybe Angmar and the Witch King? What else remains out there?
The fall of Numenor.
Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin.
The tale of the children of Hurin.
Beren and Luthien.
The many tragedies stemming from the Oath of Feanor.
The saga of Eorl the Young.

These are off the top of my head. Yeah, the Silmarillion told all of these stories in broader, more encyclopaedic style, but Christopher Tolkien has published closer retellings of "The Children of Hurin" and "Beren and Luthien" on their own that could be the basis for an adaptation. Many of the stories in the Silmarillion don't stand well enough on their own, and some lost their individuality when made into mere vignettes in the War for the Jewels, but it's not hard to find the kernel of a solid story from anything I listed above and turn it into a complete narrative unto itself.

You're shortchanging the world the professor created if you think the Lord of the Rings was the only story of value to be found.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
The fall of Numenor.
Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin.
The tale of the children of Hurin.
Beren and Luthien.
The many tragedies stemming from the Oath of Feanor.
The saga of Eorl the Young.

These are off the top of my head. Yeah, the Silmarillion told all of these stories in broader, more encyclopaedic style, but Christopher Tolkien has published closer retellings of "The Children of Hurin" and "Beren and Luthien" on their own that could be the basis for an adaptation. Many of the stories in the Silmarillion don't stand well enough on their own, and some lost their individuality when made into mere vignettes in the War for the Jewels, but it's not hard to find the kernel of a solid story from anything I listed above and turn it into a complete narrative unto itself.

You're shortchanging the world the professor created if you think the Lord of the Rings was the only story of value to be found.
But those are boring as hell. If you're making a LotR spinoff without any elements from LotR, it will flop incredibly hard. Those stories are not as engaging, they were written as mythos to be referenced, not to actually develop on their own.

The "normies" have to like the series, so it won't be any bullshit about elven gods doing retarded stuff, that's for sure.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
But those are boring as hell.
Excuse me, what?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Excuse me, what?
Yeah, I don't think I've got a good response to that. If you think there's not a good story to extract from the Children of Hurin, then a) there's nothing I can say to convince you otherwise and b) wow you're awful at appreciating stories.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:10 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I want to see Glaurung's manipulation against Turin and his sister. He was the only "smart" villain beside Sauron.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Problemsolver

This could be dope.

Tags
entertainment, tolkien