Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 PM

Elune

Default What did Mannoroth's blood do?

What is the significance of drinking Mannoroth's blood for the orcs and than consequently having Grom sacrifice himself to kill him?

There was a point where I believed it was full blown mind control. That the orcs were no longer in control of their actions. Therefore the orcs would of been completely absolved of guilt. Grom reveals that the chieftains willingly partake in the blood of Mannoroth so that makes them guilty.

Over time it became perceived more as a powerful drug. Saurfang talks about how much he regrets what he had done. If he was just a youngster making mistakes it still makes sense. It still makes him culpable though.

There was a point where Nerzhul warned Durotan and Orgrim Doomhammer to not drink the blood. If the blood didn't affect there state of mind what was the reason for them not drinking it? Doomhammer was still bigger and stronger than any orc.

What there any significance to that element in the story?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I was going to do a thread like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Elune

The effects are explicitly shown in Rise of the Horde, in the blood-drinking scene. Admittedly, I forget what they precisely are, but they're there.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:37 PM

World Builder

Runes

Basically it's been reduced to being alcohol.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
The effects are explicitly shown in Rise of the Horde, in the blood-drinking scene. Admittedly, I forget what they precisely are, but they're there.
Eyes becoming Burning Red dots was the main (only?) physical thing. It seemed mainly to be a mental thing. Making them go from the angry, murdering barbarians they'd let themselves become to......er, the same thing but "RAWR DEMON BLOOD MADE US DO IT?"

Their skin was already going from Brown to Green based on the use of Fel/Warlock magic.

Blizzard seem not to know themselves at this point.

I mean we have WC3 with Grom drinking it again and becoming a Red/Chaos Orc. But that can be purged with help from Mages apparantly, but only the Red bit, not the general bloodlust he still clearly felt. Er, what?

I've given up on the Orcs development in Warcraft to be honest, Blizzard clearly don't know WHAT they want them to be.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Not to mention the new concept art shows the iron horde members with glowing red eyes.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:26 AM

Eternal

IIRC it's supposed to increase size/strength ontop of the whole bloodlust/mental thing.

There is and at the same time there is not a "mind control" aspect to it.
It seems to appear for Chaos Orcs that there is a degree of mind control.
When Grom encountered Mannoroth again after he became a Chaos Orc he ended up joining him even when he did not want to. He specifically said, "We are free" to which Mannoroth laughed.

This is also why I reason that none of the Warlocks inside Magtheridon's lair (just the mini raid part) are Fel Orcs.

Personally, I'm not entirely sure if the mind control aspect of it is based on when the blood pact was placed or if it's based on the degree of corruption.

If it's based on the degree of corruption then really only Chaos Orcs are almost fully under control of the Burning Legion.

If it's based on the when the pact took place then it would stand to reason that there is some degree of mind control it just dissipates over time.

Another aspect to consider is that the bloodlust made them war with each other.

Even after all the Draenei were defeated I specifically remember that the clans ended up fighting amongst themselves now that they had no enemy (or was that after the Second War or both?) hence part of the set up to First War.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:34 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
Another aspect to consider is that the bloodlust made them war with each other.

Even after all the Draenei were defeated I specifically remember that the clans ended up fighting amongst themselves now that they had no enemy (or was that after the Second War or both?) hence part of the set up to First War.
Was Rise of the Horde - not so much Second War seeing as they got beaten/internment camped after that.

Blackhand started running Gladiator tournaments so they could take their aggression out on each other in a "safe" way, and prizes for the winners included food/resources which were starting to run low at this point due to Draenor dying, thanks to the Warlocks. The Draenei had been virtually wiped out by this point.

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 12-10-2013 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: typo that was bugging me!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:47 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Not to mention the new concept art shows the iron horde members with glowing red eyes.
Really? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
As Hammerbrew says, there were gladiator fights and warring in the RoTH era because of bloodlust and because resources were running out.

There was more infighting on Draenor after the Second War, a miniwar to unite the Horde under Ner'zhul (and acquire the Skull of Gul'dan for him).
Old 12-10-2013, 12:50 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Really? Wow.

As Hammerbrew says, there were gladiator fights and warring in the RoTH era because of bloodlust and because resources were running out.

There was more infighting on Draenor after the Second War, a miniwar to unite the Horde under Ner'zhul (and acquire the Skull of Gul'dan for him).
Just look at your avatars sockets
Old 12-10-2013, 02:45 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Just look at your avatars sockets
Pff, that's orange. Glowing orange is good, noble, and citrusy.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:03 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Amplifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-10-2013, 03:13 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
I think that might be a biological thing with orcs since Saurfang the Younger's eyes flickered red from time to time.

I think the demonblood just made it a 24/7 thing.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Elune

RotH describes Grom as suddenly growing bigger and more muscular once he drank the blood. It was a pretty much instant change.

And then there was the desire/need to fight. Once the draenei were done the orcs started turning on each other before Gul'dan was visited by Medivh in his dreams.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
RotH describes Grom as suddenly growing bigger and more muscular once he drank the blood. It was a pretty much instant change.

And then there was the desire/need to fight. Once the draenei were done the orcs started turning on each other before Gul'dan was visited by Medivh in his dreams.
Thing is - attributing the infighting to the blood doesn't make sense anymore. Chaos orcs are more or less indistinguishable from clean orcs now.

Tags
alcoholism, felbloods, orks, speculation