Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I know. Never mind that Puerto Rico is absolutely wrecked from a hurricane and there aren't enough food and first aid supplies to go around, no, let's talk about who is or isn't respecting the flag.

Fucking horseshit.
What do you want there to be said about it that hasn't already been settled?

Puerto Rico is fucked over by a law from the 1920s and the fact that it's been used as a tax haven for years and it's all come crashing down, and no one's going to lift a finger to help it because it's not a state and a million other reasons that have been run into the ground. It's not as if any of us here can actually do anything about it regardless.

I am so sick and tired of people acting like because people can care about things others feel are trivial and things they personally feel are important that it's somehow impossible to care about both.

Because personally, as stupid as the flag thing is, I feel it's important because it's symptomatic of Trump's abuse of his position and the curtailing of freedom to protest, which is pretty important in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I and others give a shit about the flag thing. So sue me Shek.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 PM

Echo of the Past

Trump doesn't have any authority over the owners and coaches. He just talks and bellows and tweets, as always. So he's not really curtailing free speech.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Trump doesn't have any authority over the owners and coaches. He just talks and bellows and tweets, as always. So he's not really curtailing free speech.
No, but he sets a standard.

or rather, he lowers the bar for acceptable behavior.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What do you want there to be said about it that hasn't already been settled?

Puerto Rico is fucked over by a law from the 1920s and the fact that it's been used as a tax haven for years and it's all come crashing down, and no one's going to lift a finger to help it because it's not a state and a million other reasons that have been run into the ground. It's not as if any of us here can actually do anything about it regardless.

I am so sick and tired of people acting like because people can care about things others feel are trivial and things they personally feel are important that it's somehow impossible to care about both.

Because personally, as stupid as the flag thing is, I feel it's important because it's symptomatic of Trump's abuse of his position and the curtailing of freedom to protest, which is pretty important in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I and others give a shit about the flag thing. So sue me Shek.
It's one thing to care about it on a personal level. That's fine. But it's entirely different for mainstream media to focus on it rather than the natural disasters that have affected a U.S. territory.

Probably should have clarified that in my post. Ah, well.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
It's one thing to care about it on a personal level. That's fine. But it's entirely different for mainstream media to focus on it rather than the natural disasters that have affected a U.S. territory.

Probably should have clarified that in my post. Ah, well.
Oh no, I completely agree, media focusing on attention-grabby events rather than trying to work to keep people informed is a huge problem of modern society.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 AM

Arch-Druid

Uh... I'm sorry, what?

http://archive.fo/NFLjQ

I, uh...

Your colleges are weird, America.

EDIT: Here, their list of demands. https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-con...of-Demands.pdf

Last edited by Yakitori; 09-30-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Old 09-30-2017, 08:32 AM

World Builder

More nativism, bah humbug

My Worldbuilding:
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Interesting how that hasn't really dissipated over the past 170 years. One of the reasons why Liberia failed was that African Americans were godawful to the native West Africans.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
No, but he sets a standard.

or rather, he lowers the bar for acceptable behavior.
No, the people using their job as a platform while at work lowered the standard, and they expected to get paid by the fans for it.

Fuck um. Thiis is the other boot falling. Left and right wing both now willing to boycot for the actions of speech. A hyper-sanitation, similar to whats going on in many tech places, is going to follow, and the end result is everyones a little less free.

But the Government wont be the one doing it.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-30-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quiet and respectful protest should always be allowed. Unquiet and disrespectful protests should be the grey line. Violent protest (e.g. rioting) should be considered just plain wrong (though it also doesn't invalidate the original reason for rioting either).

Kaepernick's variant of protest is a reasonable thing. He didn't stop the game from being played, nor slow it in any way, he made a protest in a short time span where it would be visible, but not detract from the function of anything else.

Going backwards a bit, Shek's not wrong. The media circus will always pick up on the newest, freshest item unless it think it has a better one elsewhere to draw ratings. While it's good for Kaepernick's protest to talk about race relations in the US, it's bad for the people of Puerto Rico (which is just too ugly/unsexy to be a consistent story). Seeing too much death and destruction desensitizes us to it, and eventually we turn away. Private media, knowing this, latches on to other topics because they're looking for profit (via ad buys) over actual reporting.

That said, there's also an ongoing issue with how long it takes for real news to be collected, attributed, checked, etc. So time is a factor, and that means CNN and its cohorts to the right and left shouldn't be doing a 24/7 "rumor has it" to fill air. If there's nothing new to report on the island because they don't have real information, then that time needs to be devoted to other topics.

So, it's ultimately an issue of the format itself, not just whether the Media is on the right track. In a hyper-reactionary world, that makes things harder to stay focused or return to important topics. Kaepernick's story shouldn't replace new News on Puerto Rico, but neither should it be ignored if there's airtime available. Really, the only thing that should be ignored is Trump's endless stream of tweets that serve to rile people up and create drama where it shouldn't exist.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Quiet and respectful protest should always be allowed. Unquiet and disrespectful protests should be the grey line. Violent protest (e.g. rioting) should be considered just plain wrong (though it also doesn't invalidate the original reason for rioting either).

Kaepernick's variant of protest is a reasonable thing. He didn't stop the game from being played, nor slow it in any way, he made a protest in a short time span where it would be visible, but not detract from the function of anything else.

Going backwards a bit, Shek's not wrong. The media circus will always pick up on the newest, freshest item unless it think it has a better one elsewhere to draw ratings. While it's good for Kaepernick's protest to talk about race relations in the US, it's bad for the people of Puerto Rico (which is just too ugly/unsexy to be a consistent story). Seeing too much death and destruction desensitizes us to it, and eventually we turn away. Private media, knowing this, latches on to other topics because they're looking for profit (via ad buys) over actual reporting.

That said, there's also an ongoing issue with how long it takes for real news to be collected, attributed, checked, etc. So time is a factor, and that means CNN and its cohorts to the right and left shouldn't be doing a 24/7 "rumor has it" to fill air. If there's nothing new to report on the island because they don't have real information, then that time needs to be devoted to other topics.

So, it's ultimately an issue of the format itself, not just whether the Media is on the right track. In a hyper-reactionary world, that makes things harder to stay focused or return to important topics. Kaepernick's story shouldn't replace new News on Puerto Rico, but neither should it be ignored if there's airtime available. Really, the only thing that should be ignored is Trump's endless stream of tweets that serve to rile people up and create drama where it shouldn't exist.
/shrug. What should be isn't what is.

What is, is people pay for the NFL. They give the players money to watch them play ball. Not to preach about them what their politics are on field where they have to watch it if they want to watch the game/follow the game.

And you may say all you want that it's what makes it work as protest.

But it leaves out that it's a product, and people just won't pay. Which, surprise, is what's happening.

Instead of talking of their cause off the field, instead of doing it on their own time, they took up the time of the people who pay for entertainment and escape, not to be drowned in more political brouhaha.

And, the worst part is, the entire conversation isn't even about what was initially being protested. On either side. It's turned into, as usual, two sides arguing over different things because dumbshit couldn't keep it in his pants and do that shit off field.

As for Puerto Rico, the simple truth is Trump's right on what he's saying, even if he's (as usual) saying it like shit.

There will be no long term aide for them without the MASSIVE amounts of debt going away. Their infrastructure very well may be too old to repair, and that won't happen through any amount of aide. That has to come from them, and it has to be done in a way that doesn't require long term efforts to support them.

This is not a matter of "but it's a humanitarian crisis, we have to help them!". It's a matter of financial rock bottom that Puerto Rico has been in for decades, and instead of focusing on it like they should have (and make no mistake, just so we are clear, a lot of the current infrastructure in the United States is just as bad.), it keeps getting pushed back and pushed back and pushed back.

The simple truth is, no matter what Trump does, Puerto Rico is fucked. And they are not fucked because of lack of aide from the president and executive branch.

They are fucked because they've been financially crippled for decades, because their infrastructure was already aging and failing, and because you can't fix that shit after a certain point.

And now that certain point here, and evacuating a territory that's got a larger population than most states isn't really an option either.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-30-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Right? Take away race, and it's just American students complaining that their university is admitting too many international students.

Obama will always be our first African American president. But, some day, we will have our first president who is African American, non-mixed race, and descended from American blacks. You can bet (s)he'll also get special mention each February, and we'll know exactly who his/her ancestors were in the 1860s, 1770s, and so on.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 AM

World Builder

My Worldbuilding:
Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The American mainstream right-wing has lost its goddamn mind.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50717d31b5f0
An R rep from AZ believes that the Charlottesville terrorist attack was a left-wing plot, the nazi rally was "created by the left" and lead by an "Obama sympathizer." He also said that George Soros (a Jew who lived through the nazi occupation of his country) collaborated with nazi Germany.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The American mainstream right-wing has lost its goddamn mind.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50717d31b5f0
An R rep from AZ believes that the Charlottesville terrorist attack was a left-wing plot, the nazi rally was "created by the left" and lead by an "Obama sympathizer." He also said that George Soros (a Jew who lived through the nazi occupation of his country) collaborated with nazi Germany.
Part of the reason for that largely has to do with Jason Kessler's past.
As much as I do not trust the SPLC, they're correct on that matter.

Quote:
Rumors abound on white nationalist forums that Kessler’s ideological pedigree before 2016 was less than pure and seem to point to involvement in the Occupy movement and past support for President Obama.

At one recent speech in favor of Charlottesville’s status as a sanctuary city, Kessler live-streamed himself as an attendee questioned him and apologized for an undisclosed spat during Kessler’s apparent involvement with Occupy. Kessler appeared visibly perturbed by the woman’s presence and reminders of their past association.

Kessler himself has placed his “red-pilling” around December of 2013 when a PR executive was publicly excoriated for a tasteless Twitter joke about AIDS in Africa.

Regarding the incident, Kessler stated “… so it was just a little race joke, nothing that big of a deal, she didn’t have that many followers, she probably didn’t think anybody was gonna see it,”

Regardless of Kessler’s past politics, the rightward shift in his views was first put on display in November, 2016 when his tirade against Wes Bellamy began.
As a result, Kessler gets the reputation of being "a plant."
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
As a result, Kessler gets the reputation of being "a plant."
Makes sense. Conservative values rely on holding the same opinions your entire life in the face of insurmountable evidence. Having a change of opinion is unthinkable to them.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Makes sense. Conservative values rely on holding the same opinions your entire life in the face of insurmountable evidence. Having a change of opinion is unthinkable to them.
That is... a VERY interesting insight.

The idea that conversion to one's political alignment is so rare that it's unbelievable, and anyone who appears to have changed his mind to support you is probably faking it.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I know that "Belle Visits Her Gay Friends" is supposed to be a cute and funny idea, but making every drag queen a mindless slut-shaming fashionista who does a lot of tongue play and says "YA" a lot really needs to stop.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM

Elune

Spencer and his nazis made another trip to Charlottesville, tiki torches, Russian influence, and all.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/richar...not-replace-us
Recap of what happened last time in addition to the car attack:
"Christopher Cantwell was charged with a felony for spraying a protester. Alex Ramos and Daniel Borden were arrested for beating a black man, allegedly breaking his wrist and lacerating his head. Richard Preston, a member of the Ku Klux Klan, was arrested for illegally discharging a firearm."

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-09-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM

World Builder

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0fdad73b2cded

Are you FUCKING SHITTING ME!?

How the hell does a man like that not get kicked out IMMEDIATELY!?

I just, how can people pretend we don't have widespread corruption in our justice system when someone can go ON TV and say this!?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Eternal

Yes, prison labour is a thing, this is not surprising.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
Yes, prison labour is a thing, this is not surprising.
You can call it what it is if you want: Legal slavery as afforded by the 13th Amendment.
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
Makes you wonder if the writers of that ever envisaged the robust prison industrial complex and lobbying system we have today.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Echo of the Past

It almost reads like a comedic satire movie. In the sheriff's ideal world, the good prisoners would be kept for their labor while the worst ones could maybe get parole so he doesn't have to deal with them. (That's the implied meaning behind the verbiage of "they're going to let THEM out".)

I kind of want to watch Shawshank Redemption again.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 AM

Elune

Arpaio was denied having his record wiped clean yesterday. I would have preferred seeing him spend the rest of his hopefully-short life in prison, but at least there's that.
Here's another story about his department:
"We were like screaming for Dre (Our dog), and [a deputy] turned around and said, 'Why don't you shut the fuck up?!'"
"As they're hog-tying me, they have the nerve and the audacity to laugh at me and say, `Did you hear that dog screaming upstairs?'"
"They shot the dog in the face with a fire extinguisher when he tried to come out of the fire," (He was not on fire mind you) "He turned and ran back into the master bedroom and burned [to death]."
Delfino (The dog's owner) says he asked one of the SWAT officers what happened to Dre (His dog) and was told that the dog had been "neutralized" with the fire extinguisher. He asked the officer if the dog had attacked anybody, and the cop said no.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ernoon-6438729
No officers were punished. Apaio's cowardly pigs burned down someone's house and killed their dog for a misdemeanor warrant. They also left the dog's body and wouldn't let the owners reclaim it for 5 days.

[edit] That nazi rally in Gainesville happened. 3 of Spencer's supporters are now in jail and being charged with attempted homicide.
http://www.gainesville.com/news/2017...r-spencer-talk

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-21-2017 at 12:35 PM..

Tags
realspace, serious business