Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11276  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I know. Never mind that Puerto Rico is absolutely wrecked from a hurricane and there aren't enough food and first aid supplies to go around, no, let's talk about who is or isn't respecting the flag.

Fucking horseshit.
What do you want there to be said about it that hasn't already been settled?

Puerto Rico is fucked over by a law from the 1920s and the fact that it's been used as a tax haven for years and it's all come crashing down, and no one's going to lift a finger to help it because it's not a state and a million other reasons that have been run into the ground. It's not as if any of us here can actually do anything about it regardless.

I am so sick and tired of people acting like because people can care about things others feel are trivial and things they personally feel are important that it's somehow impossible to care about both.


Because personally, as stupid as the flag thing is, I feel it's important because it's symptomatic of Trump's abuse of his position and the curtailing of freedom to protest, which is pretty important in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I and others give a shit about the flag thing. So sue me Shek.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11277  
Old 09-28-2017, 09:48 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 14,864

Default

Trump doesn't have any authority over the owners and coaches. He just talks and bellows and tweets, as always. So he's not really curtailing free speech.
Reply With Quote
  #11278  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Trump doesn't have any authority over the owners and coaches. He just talks and bellows and tweets, as always. So he's not really curtailing free speech.
No, but he sets a standard.

or rather, he lowers the bar for acceptable behavior.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11279  
Old 09-29-2017, 06:49 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,259

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What do you want there to be said about it that hasn't already been settled?

Puerto Rico is fucked over by a law from the 1920s and the fact that it's been used as a tax haven for years and it's all come crashing down, and no one's going to lift a finger to help it because it's not a state and a million other reasons that have been run into the ground. It's not as if any of us here can actually do anything about it regardless.

I am so sick and tired of people acting like because people can care about things others feel are trivial and things they personally feel are important that it's somehow impossible to care about both.


Because personally, as stupid as the flag thing is, I feel it's important because it's symptomatic of Trump's abuse of his position and the curtailing of freedom to protest, which is pretty important in the grand scheme of things.

So yeah, I and others give a shit about the flag thing. So sue me Shek.
It's one thing to care about it on a personal level. That's fine. But it's entirely different for mainstream media to focus on it rather than the natural disasters that have affected a U.S. territory.

Probably should have clarified that in my post. Ah, well.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #11280  
Old 09-29-2017, 07:45 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
It's one thing to care about it on a personal level. That's fine. But it's entirely different for mainstream media to focus on it rather than the natural disasters that have affected a U.S. territory.

Probably should have clarified that in my post. Ah, well.
Oh no, I completely agree, media focusing on attention-grabby events rather than trying to work to keep people informed is a huge problem of modern society.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11281  
Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 AM
Yakitori Yakitori is offline

Arch-Druid
Yakitori's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 2,067

Default

Uh... I'm sorry, what?

http://archive.fo/NFLjQ

I, uh...

Your colleges are weird, America.

EDIT: Here, their list of demands. https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-con...of-Demands.pdf
__________________
Disgruntled Forsaken Stable Master
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... That is coffee."

Last edited by Yakitori; 09-30-2017 at 05:35 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11282  
Old 09-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

More nativism, bah humbug
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11283  
Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,172
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
More nativism, bah humbug
Interesting how that hasn't really dissipated over the past 170 years. One of the reasons why Liberia failed was that African Americans were godawful to the native West Africans.
Reply With Quote
  #11284  
Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 20,811

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
No, but he sets a standard.

or rather, he lowers the bar for acceptable behavior.
No, the people using their job as a platform while at work lowered the standard, and they expected to get paid by the fans for it.

Fuck um. Thiis is the other boot falling. Left and right wing both now willing to boycot for the actions of speech. A hyper-sanitation, similar to whats going on in many tech places, is going to follow, and the end result is everyones a little less free.

But the Government wont be the one doing it.
__________________
All hail the Queen.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-30-2017 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11285  
Old 09-30-2017, 02:06 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,074
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quiet and respectful protest should always be allowed. Unquiet and disrespectful protests should be the grey line. Violent protest (e.g. rioting) should be considered just plain wrong (though it also doesn't invalidate the original reason for rioting either).

Kaepernick's variant of protest is a reasonable thing. He didn't stop the game from being played, nor slow it in any way, he made a protest in a short time span where it would be visible, but not detract from the function of anything else.

Going backwards a bit, Shek's not wrong. The media circus will always pick up on the newest, freshest item unless it think it has a better one elsewhere to draw ratings. While it's good for Kaepernick's protest to talk about race relations in the US, it's bad for the people of Puerto Rico (which is just too ugly/unsexy to be a consistent story). Seeing too much death and destruction desensitizes us to it, and eventually we turn away. Private media, knowing this, latches on to other topics because they're looking for profit (via ad buys) over actual reporting.

That said, there's also an ongoing issue with how long it takes for real news to be collected, attributed, checked, etc. So time is a factor, and that means CNN and its cohorts to the right and left shouldn't be doing a 24/7 "rumor has it" to fill air. If there's nothing new to report on the island because they don't have real information, then that time needs to be devoted to other topics.

So, it's ultimately an issue of the format itself, not just whether the Media is on the right track. In a hyper-reactionary world, that makes things harder to stay focused or return to important topics. Kaepernick's story shouldn't replace new News on Puerto Rico, but neither should it be ignored if there's airtime available. Really, the only thing that should be ignored is Trump's endless stream of tweets that serve to rile people up and create drama where it shouldn't exist.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #11286  
Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 20,811

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Quiet and respectful protest should always be allowed. Unquiet and disrespectful protests should be the grey line. Violent protest (e.g. rioting) should be considered just plain wrong (though it also doesn't invalidate the original reason for rioting either).

Kaepernick's variant of protest is a reasonable thing. He didn't stop the game from being played, nor slow it in any way, he made a protest in a short time span where it would be visible, but not detract from the function of anything else.

Going backwards a bit, Shek's not wrong. The media circus will always pick up on the newest, freshest item unless it think it has a better one elsewhere to draw ratings. While it's good for Kaepernick's protest to talk about race relations in the US, it's bad for the people of Puerto Rico (which is just too ugly/unsexy to be a consistent story). Seeing too much death and destruction desensitizes us to it, and eventually we turn away. Private media, knowing this, latches on to other topics because they're looking for profit (via ad buys) over actual reporting.

That said, there's also an ongoing issue with how long it takes for real news to be collected, attributed, checked, etc. So time is a factor, and that means CNN and its cohorts to the right and left shouldn't be doing a 24/7 "rumor has it" to fill air. If there's nothing new to report on the island because they don't have real information, then that time needs to be devoted to other topics.

So, it's ultimately an issue of the format itself, not just whether the Media is on the right track. In a hyper-reactionary world, that makes things harder to stay focused or return to important topics. Kaepernick's story shouldn't replace new News on Puerto Rico, but neither should it be ignored if there's airtime available. Really, the only thing that should be ignored is Trump's endless stream of tweets that serve to rile people up and create drama where it shouldn't exist.
/shrug. What should be isn't what is.

What is, is people pay for the NFL. They give the players money to watch them play ball. Not to preach about them what their politics are on field where they have to watch it if they want to watch the game/follow the game.

And you may say all you want that it's what makes it work as protest.

But it leaves out that it's a product, and people just won't pay. Which, surprise, is what's happening.

Instead of talking of their cause off the field, instead of doing it on their own time, they took up the time of the people who pay for entertainment and escape, not to be drowned in more political brouhaha.

And, the worst part is, the entire conversation isn't even about what was initially being protested. On either side. It's turned into, as usual, two sides arguing over different things because dumbshit couldn't keep it in his pants and do that shit off field.

As for Puerto Rico, the simple truth is Trump's right on what he's saying, even if he's (as usual) saying it like shit.

There will be no long term aide for them without the MASSIVE amounts of debt going away. Their infrastructure very well may be too old to repair, and that won't happen through any amount of aide. That has to come from them, and it has to be done in a way that doesn't require long term efforts to support them.

This is not a matter of "but it's a humanitarian crisis, we have to help them!". It's a matter of financial rock bottom that Puerto Rico has been in for decades, and instead of focusing on it like they should have (and make no mistake, just so we are clear, a lot of the current infrastructure in the United States is just as bad.), it keeps getting pushed back and pushed back and pushed back.

The simple truth is, no matter what Trump does, Puerto Rico is fucked. And they are not fucked because of lack of aide from the president and executive branch.

They are fucked because they've been financially crippled for decades, because their infrastructure was already aging and failing, and because you can't fix that shit after a certain point.

And now that certain point here, and evacuating a territory that's got a larger population than most states isn't really an option either.
__________________
All hail the Queen.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 09-30-2017 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11287  
Old 10-01-2017, 07:34 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 14,864

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
More nativism, bah humbug
Right? Take away race, and it's just American students complaining that their university is admitting too many international students.

Obama will always be our first African American president. But, some day, we will have our first president who is African American, non-mixed race, and descended from American blacks. You can bet (s)he'll also get special mention each February, and we'll know exactly who his/her ancestors were in the 1860s, 1770s, and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #11288  
Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11289  
Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 7,682

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

The American mainstream right-wing has lost its goddamn mind.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50717d31b5f0
An R rep from AZ believes that the Charlottesville terrorist attack was a left-wing plot, the nazi rally was "created by the left" and lead by an "Obama sympathizer." He also said that George Soros (a Jew who lived through the nazi occupation of his country) collaborated with nazi Germany.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11290  
Old 10-06-2017, 10:01 AM
Taintedmage Taintedmage is offline

Eternal
Taintedmage's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,761

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The American mainstream right-wing has lost its goddamn mind.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.50717d31b5f0
An R rep from AZ believes that the Charlottesville terrorist attack was a left-wing plot, the nazi rally was "created by the left" and lead by an "Obama sympathizer." He also said that George Soros (a Jew who lived through the nazi occupation of his country) collaborated with nazi Germany.
Part of the reason for that largely has to do with Jason Kessler's past.
As much as I do not trust the SPLC, they're correct on that matter.

Quote:
Rumors abound on white nationalist forums that Kessler’s ideological pedigree before 2016 was less than pure and seem to point to involvement in the Occupy movement and past support for President Obama.

At one recent speech in favor of Charlottesville’s status as a sanctuary city, Kessler live-streamed himself as an attendee questioned him and apologized for an undisclosed spat during Kessler’s apparent involvement with Occupy. Kessler appeared visibly perturbed by the woman’s presence and reminders of their past association.

Kessler himself has placed his “red-pilling” around December of 2013 when a PR executive was publicly excoriated for a tasteless Twitter joke about AIDS in Africa.

Regarding the incident, Kessler stated “… so it was just a little race joke, nothing that big of a deal, she didn’t have that many followers, she probably didn’t think anybody was gonna see it,”

Regardless of Kessler’s past politics, the rightward shift in his views was first put on display in November, 2016 when his tirade against Wes Bellamy began.
As a result, Kessler gets the reputation of being "a plant."
Reply With Quote
  #11291  
Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 7,682

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
As a result, Kessler gets the reputation of being "a plant."
Makes sense. Conservative values rely on holding the same opinions your entire life in the face of insurmountable evidence. Having a change of opinion is unthinkable to them.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11292  
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 14,864

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Makes sense. Conservative values rely on holding the same opinions your entire life in the face of insurmountable evidence. Having a change of opinion is unthinkable to them.
That is... a VERY interesting insight.

The idea that conversion to one's political alignment is so rare that it's unbelievable, and anyone who appears to have changed his mind to support you is probably faking it.
Reply With Quote
  #11293  
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 PM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,259

Mana

I know that "Belle Visits Her Gay Friends" is supposed to be a cute and funny idea, but making every drag queen a mindless slut-shaming fashionista who does a lot of tongue play and says "YA" a lot really needs to stop.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #11294  
Old 10-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 7,682

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Spencer and his nazis made another trip to Charlottesville, tiki torches, Russian influence, and all.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/richar...not-replace-us
Recap of what happened last time in addition to the car attack:
"Christopher Cantwell was charged with a felony for spraying a protester. Alex Ramos and Daniel Borden were arrested for beating a black man, allegedly breaking his wrist and lacerating his head. Richard Preston, a member of the Ku Klux Klan, was arrested for illegally discharging a firearm."
__________________

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-09-2017 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11295  
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 31,840

Default

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0fdad73b2cded


Are you FUCKING SHITTING ME!?

How the hell does a man like that not get kicked out IMMEDIATELY!?











I just, how can people pretend we don't have widespread corruption in our justice system when someone can go ON TV and say this!?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11296  
Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Taintedmage Taintedmage is offline

Eternal
Taintedmage's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,761

Default

Yes, prison labour is a thing, this is not surprising.
Reply With Quote
  #11297  
Old 10-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 7,682

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taintedmage View Post
Yes, prison labour is a thing, this is not surprising.
You can call it what it is if you want: Legal slavery as afforded by the 13th Amendment.
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."
Makes you wonder if the writers of that ever envisaged the robust prison industrial complex and lobbying system we have today.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11298  
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 14,864

Default

It almost reads like a comedic satire movie. In the sheriff's ideal world, the good prisoners would be kept for their labor while the worst ones could maybe get parole so he doesn't have to deal with them. (That's the implied meaning behind the verbiage of "they're going to let THEM out".)

I kind of want to watch Shawshank Redemption again.
Reply With Quote
  #11299  
Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 7,682

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Arpaio was denied having his record wiped clean yesterday. I would have preferred seeing him spend the rest of his hopefully-short life in prison, but at least there's that.
Here's another story about his department:
"We were like screaming for Dre (Our dog), and [a deputy] turned around and said, 'Why don't you shut the fuck up?!'"
"As they're hog-tying me, they have the nerve and the audacity to laugh at me and say, `Did you hear that dog screaming upstairs?'"
"They shot the dog in the face with a fire extinguisher when he tried to come out of the fire," (He was not on fire mind you) "He turned and ran back into the master bedroom and burned [to death]."
Delfino (The dog's owner) says he asked one of the SWAT officers what happened to Dre (His dog) and was told that the dog had been "neutralized" with the fire extinguisher. He asked the officer if the dog had attacked anybody, and the cop said no.
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/...ernoon-6438729
No officers were punished. Apaio's cowardly pigs burned down someone's house and killed their dog for a misdemeanor warrant. They also left the dog's body and wouldn't let the owners reclaim it for 5 days.

[edit] That nazi rally in Gainesville happened. 3 of Spencer's supporters are now in jail and being charged with attempted homicide.
http://www.gainesville.com/news/2017...r-spencer-talk
__________________

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-21-2017 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
realspace, serious business

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.