Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2018, 04:53 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default TotalBiscuit is dead.

John Bain died today.

I don't know the details. I don't really care. I presume it was related to the cancer he's been fighting off and on for a few years.

Cancer is like that. You think you've won, and it's really just biding its time, flanking you, waiting to strike again in a more insidious manner.

The man was ten years my junior, and that makes him too young to die, but, again, cancer gives no fucks.

I'm not going to eulogize him. Frankly, I didn't really like him all that much. His spat with Omacron was actually the reason I ended up here in the first place (He cast out the only intelligent piece of the lore podcast he produced, and I followed it to this shithole... so, if you've ever cursed Bolvar, you can thank John Bain for bringing him to you).

I also didn't like the way he decried the gameplay of WotLK, and screeched endlessly for a more difficult, "vanilla-style" hardcore game in the next expansion.

He was at the peak of his influence with Blizzard at the time, and I hold him at least partly responsible for the shitfest that was Cataclysm. I *liked* WotLK. A *LOT.* Casual easy-mode was just fine for me. Oh well. You got what you wanted, Bain, and Cataclysm largely ruined WoW.

All that said, cancer is a bitch, and the man had a family. I was a dick in my late 20's, so I don't really fault him that, either.

Sorry it went that way for you, John. I mean that, and I hope you're in a better place now.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

I found TotalBiscuit to be a bit of a pretentious windbag, if I'm honest. How he acted like he knew video games better then developers or people who designed them. I still remember his epic meltdown that WoW was too easy because he was able to level to 85 without dying in Cataclysm.

Not to mention all the times he told people to "get cancer and die". He never really came off as a likable fellow.

THAT BEING SAID I am not a complete asshole, so I send my sympathies to his family. No one deserves to die as such a young age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I didn't care much for TB either. I found him rather boisterous, obnoxious, and generally very elitist. Most of his videos I ended up rolling my eyes at and clicking away.

However, my condolences go out to his family for their loss. I imagine they're taking it hard and I wish them all the best.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:54 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

He was kind of a dick and I didn't agree with his politics, but his reviews were good and he had good opinions on the industry. Dude put up a hell of a fight for years with fairly late stage cancer, too.
Member #14
Old 05-25-2018, 01:41 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Wasnt a fan, felt he was to full of himself and didnt care how he spoke to people. Again doesnt change the fact Cancer sucks and you dont like seeing this happen to anyone. I have a good friend currently battling stage 4 skin cancer and like Bolvar said its a dance of bobbing and weaving and waiting for the next strike. Condolences to his friends and family, Cancer sucks and its a damn shame to go so young
Old 05-25-2018, 03:50 AM

Elune

I liked his early stuff (500k revenge crit anyone? ) didn't much follow him after his WoW ragequit. But he did have a rough go at it, sad to see him go and especially in this way and this soon.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Eternal

I didn't always agree with his criticisms but he had his point of view and preferences and he always explained those well enough so that I could at least see where he was coming from.
Early TB always felt a bit abrasive but once his friendship with Jesse Cox had developed, he seemed more chill and relaxed. Maybe his wife had something to do with that as well.
He definitely left his mark on the gaming industry, especially the Indie scene due to his WTF is... series.
Without him, Warframe would be long dead instead of still being in the top ten of the Steam Charts.
And without his constant and vigilant pro-consumer stance, things like the boykott of EA for Star Wars Battlefront 2 might never have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I'm not going to eulogize him. Frankly, I didn't really like him all that much. His spat with Omacron was actually the reason I ended up here in the first place (He cast out the only intelligent piece of the lore podcast he produced, and I followed it to this shithole... so, if you've ever cursed Bolvar, you can thank John Bain for bringing him to you).
See? He even left a mark on SoL.

I'll miss his E3-Snarkathons because that was the only thing that made the shitshow that E3 usually is bearable. I'll also miss him on the Cooptional Podcast which I listen to each week (usually while playing WoW).

Godspeed, TB. Wherever you may go now, I fully expect to find 60 fps and a FoV Slider up to 360° once i get there.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Imo, his Starcraft II Stuff was better than what he did with WoW, besides his Cata Videos been the stuff, that made me watch his channel.

This is one of my favorite SC videos up to now.

But yeah, he will be missed.

Cancer is a bitch and he basically made a goodbye post already a month ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cynicalbrit...scuits_future/

And he kinda has been immoralized with his SCII Speech Pack.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I am very saddened by the news. (My condolences to his wife and son.)

I haven't really consumed much of his content in years, given that I was mostly attracted to his channel by his Terraria series with Jesse Cox and his coverage of the Cataclysm beta. Nevertheless, he will be missed, and I wish people wouldn't have to die at such a young age, in such a miserable way.

I also wish people would have enough human decency to not rejoice at the death of another person.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post

And he kinda has been immoralized with his SCII Speech Pack.
There's also the LUL emote on Twitch chat.

His wife also shared this on Twitter:

Hi literally died doing what he loved....
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017

Last edited by spidey1980; 05-25-2018 at 02:01 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 02:30 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
His wife also shared this on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999890634532995072

Hi literally died doing what he loved....
This pleases me.

Better not to dwell on the fact that you're dying.

We're all dying.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Huh. Never knew that. Interesting.

Anyway, I used to like him, but as time went on he grated on me. I eventually unsubbed, but I still respected him to some degree. The guy did go to the mat for indie developers and the like. That Warframe game apparently wouldn't even be around without his help (the devs were mid livestream when news broke, and they all broke down crying, I hear). He was instrumental in a lot of things like that.

And if nothing else, he eventually led me to my absolute favorite guys on Youtube (the Super Best Friends). So I'm happy for that.

I saw some comparison stuff and god, that cancer just ate the man away. And I thought he was far older than me to begin with, like maybe reaching his early 40s. Not 34. Jesus, that's 3 years older than me. Makes me think to get screened for some things that run in the family.

I feel the worst for his son. He was the kid's stepfather and from what little I heard (since I wasn't too interested in his private life), he loved him like his own flesh and blood, and likewise. And that...having lost my father, and having had my own stepfather come into my life, I can respect. And for his son...losing a father is not easy, especially when you're younger. I was in my mid-20s, and that was a blow I'm only now recovering from. His son is I think in his mid-teens and that...my heart goes out to them.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

It's been three days, I'm out on a trip right now, and I still can't get this off my mind. It's strange, because I've never been that big of a fan of him or followed his channel much. I was never subscribed to his channel and my familiarity with him is mostly from when I followed his playthrough of the Cataclysm beta and his defense of Angry Video Game Nerd when the media attacked him. (Which I respected him for.)

But I'm still genuinely saddened and heartbroken by this news, I think it calls back to some loss that I've been experiencing recently as well, a very devastating loss one of my own family members suffered from a few months back that I sometimes question if she'll ever recover from. It's a dark reminder for me that death doesn't care about age and that we live a very fragile existence in our time here. We should make the best of it while we can.

I can only hope with time his family will get better and will know happiness again. I truly wish that for them and I know he would as well.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 AM

Problemsolver

Can't say I'm particularly affected by this. Apart from his alpha/beta-coverages and his Terraria-playthroughs with Cox I haven't really paid attention to his stuff.

But it's always a bummer when someone dies from cancer, and especially so when they haven't even reached middle age yet. Condolences to any family he might've left behind, this must've been a tough couple of years.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:00 AM

Eternal

Used to watch his stuff, stopped when it started going downhill near the later years after the cancer.
What I find truly annoying is all the media vultures circling the man's corpse.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Tags
2018, obituary thread