Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Warcraft Movie: Medivh had a Night Elf mate?

I just watched the Warcraft movie for the fourth time, and this scene had intrigued me for some reason before, but couldn't put my finger on what it was. I think I figured out.

Quote:
Garona: Lothar's son is dead. I argued for the meeting. Lothar will hate me.

Medivh: This upsets you?

Garona: He is a great warrior. He defends his people well.

Medivh: A good mate for an orc.

Garona: I am no orc. I am no human, either.

Medivh: When I was younger, I used to feel apart from my kin. I traveled... far and wide, looking for... wisdom. Feel a connection with all the souls I was charged with protecting. In my travels, I met a strong and noble people. Among them, a female who accepted me for who I was. Who loved me. It was not a life I was fated to have... (chuckles softly)... but it thought me something... if love is what you need... you must be willing to travel to the ends of the world to find it.

Garona: You left your mate?

Medivh: Go find Lothar.

(Medivh opens a portal to Stormwind, and creates a flower out of magic and hands it to Garona)

Medivh: Step into the circle. This... is my gift to you... Garona.

In the quote above, Medivh notices Garona is upset that Lothar might hate her for leading them to an ambush that resulted in the death of Lothar's son. And Medivh makes it clear that Lothar's bravery as a warrior is the equivalent of a good mate for an orc.

It is obvious here that Medivh is implying Garona (an orc) is in love of Lothar (a human).

So his tale about his own love affair is a parallel of this interracial love affair.

Medivh said he has traveled far and wide, and met a strong and noble people.

Considering that Medivh asked Thrall to travel west to Kalimdor, that means he is been there before and that the mate Medivh is referring to was ... a night elf female.

B.O.M.B.S.H.E.L.L.

Think about that for a second. Medivh's garment, shapeshifting into a raven... druid of the talon knowledge. If I recall well, there is a mission in the Orc campaign (Warcraft III: Frozen Throne) where Medivh has some sort of subterranean base in Kalimdor.

In the movie, Medivh said he left the female. The question is... did she give birth after his departure without his knowledge?

Last edited by Medievaldragon; 06-20-2017 at 07:13 AM..
Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 AM

Eternal

Didn't the novelization feature a deleted scene which put Medivh as Garona's father? I am fairly sure it did.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Didn't the novelization feature a deleted scene which put Medivh as Garona's father? I am fairly sure it did.
That has nothing to do with what I posted, but [WHOA?] I procrastinated reading it, though I have the novelization in digital format. Now I [MUST] read.

That is kinda sick though. In the comics, Medivh impregnated Garona and she gave birth to Med'an. If what you said is true, ewww.... comics is definitely decanonized, and must be burned in a bonfire.

Hmm, doesn't that mean Medivh traveled to Draenor and mated a Draenei female?
Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievaldragon View Post
That has nothing to do with what I posted, but [WHOA?] I procrastinated reading it, though I have the novelization in digital format. Now I [MUST] read.

That is kinda sick though. In the comics, Medivh impregnated Garona and she gave birth to Med'an. If what you said is true, ewww.... comics is definitely decanonized, and must be burned in a bonfire.

If in the WMU (Warcraft Movie Universe) they have Garona being Medivh's daughter, I'd say he mated with an Orc.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:

It does, because the novelization makes it rather clear he is talking of Garona's mother during that scene you are talking about.

It does not fit the Main Universe though, Chronicle directly mentioned that Garona was a daughter of a Bladewind male warrior and a draenei prisoner. But the movie and the Main Universe are separate.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:04 AM

Eternal

Nonetheless, in the canon universe, Medivh did travels to Draenor before opening the Dark Portal, which was awesome.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Eternal

The entire premise of this requires the film to be operating on or otherwise presenting the continuity of the game, which has long been established to not be the case.

So just at the top level, the reason this doesn't work is because we know the film continuity was always intended to be separate from the game's. We don't even have a clear indication that night elves even exist in the damn cinematic universe because they never showed up.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoya View Post
If in the WMU (Warcraft Movie Universe) they have Garona being Medivh's daughter, I'd say he mated with an Orc.
I think that was one of the theories regarding Garona's parentage back around Warcraft 3? Before the draenei were changed into what they are now, and back when it took a few decades for the orcs to leave draenor and conquer Stormwind? If I'm not remembering it wrong it's interesting that they sort of went back to that. At least in the movie universe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 06-22-2017, 05:25 PM

Banished

Garona having Draenei blood was a retcon brought about from how both the time the Orcs had access to Azeroth and how long the First War lasted were shortened.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Maybe a dragon.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:30 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
I think that was one of the theories regarding Garona's parentage back around Warcraft 3? Before the draenei were changed into what they are now, and back when it took a few decades for the orcs to leave draenor and conquer Stormwind? If I'm not remembering it wrong it's interesting that they sort of went back to that. At least in the movie universe.
That was Warcraft I.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:49 PM

World Builder

I honestly wouldn't mind this being retconned in, it'd mesh well with the Ravenform.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
That was Warcraft I.
Ah, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 06-24-2017, 05:15 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
It has everything to do with what you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind this being retconned in, it'd mesh well with the Ravenform.
Still, Medivh is talking about Garona's mother in that scene.

Maybe he had a night elf mate in some continuity too.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:01 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
It has everything to do with what you posted.

Still, Medivh is talking about Garona's mother in that scene.

Maybe he had a night elf mate in some continuity too.
Maybe a dragon.

Tags
entertainment, knife-ears