Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Undead Icon (War3) The Walking Dead

Okay, this thread is for the discussion of both the ongoing series and comic book "The Walking Dead."

BlahblahblahSPOILERSblahblahblah

So, a quick breakdown of differences between the two that bother me, but don't diminish my enjoyment of the show is in order.

1: Shane was killed in one of the first arcs of the comic, but he is still alive (and being awesome) in the show. In the comics, Rick comes back and Lori breaks off her romantic liaison with Shane. Shane is the "alpha male" of the group and doesn't like this, so he gets Rick to follow him into the woods, pulls a shotgun on him, and is set to paint the trees with Rick's brains. Before he can squeeze the trigger, however, Rick's son Carl shoots Shane in the neck, and Shane drowns in his own blood. Later, Rick comes back and caps Zombie-Shane.

In the show, the two go into the woods and are accompanied by Dale. Shane sees Rick in the distance and trains his rifle on Rick, but notices Dale has walked up. Shane comments on the need for orange reflective vests and Dale looks at him like he's a monster.

I'm okay with this, because Shane is awesome.

2: Otis did not die. At least, not as early as he did in the show.

3: Carl is something of a badass in the comics.

4: Sophia does not die. She did not get turned. In fact, she's still alive in the comics.

5: Hershell and the guys on the farm weren't crazy religious nuts. They're just a family trying to survive, and they have hope that a cure will be found for their loved ones that have been turned. He does force Rick and his crew to leave the farm, but later makes amends and is actually quite a good character.

6: Andrea is not nearly so annoying in the comics. I hope they kill her off or get her character back on track. It looks like they may do the latter.

Last edited by Exxile87; 11-28-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I don't think Hershel is a religious nut. He's a nut and he's religious but his religion isn't the cause of his nuttiness. He's just too soft to live in a post zombie holocaust and has had the good fortune to be sheltered from the harsh reality for far too long.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Elune

I donít take any issue with the television series deviating from the comic. In fact, I think itís a good thing. They still keep similar themes and occurrences, but itís different enough that readers wonít already know whatís going to happen.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I don't think Hershel is a religious nut. He's a nut and he's religious but his religion isn't the cause of his nuttiness. He's just too soft to live in a post zombie holocaust and has had the good fortune to be sheltered from the harsh reality for far too long.
I liked his comic book counterpart better. Gave you a deeper look at the man himself.

Also, Daryl and Merle aren't canon characters at all. They have elements that were cut from a few characters (Otis, for example was the mildly racist, yet good hearted and loyal redneck), so I have no idea what's in store for them. I'd say Merle is probably dead and Daryl isn't gonna make it out of the next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
I donít take any issue with the television series deviating from the comic. In fact, I think itís a good thing. They still keep similar themes and occurrences, but itís different enough that readers wonít already know whatís going to happen.
I agree. I was just wanting to point out that there are differences. Most of them are really good.

I wonder if they'll have the guts to stick to Lori and the baby's ultimate fate.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Daryl isn't gonna make it out of the next season.
Thatíd be a shame. Not only do I like Norman Reedus, as I was a big fan of Boondock Saints, but I also find the character interesting and worth continuing.

However I must point out that even though I do think it is a fantastic show, and maybe the best on television right now, I find it rather pretentious and self-indulgent that there is a talk show broadcast on the network devoted solely to discussing the Walking DeadÖ especially one hosted by Singled Outís own Chris Hardwick. It strikes me as something fine for the internet, but on television it just irks me.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Thatíd be a shame. Not only do I like Norman Reedus, as I was a big fan of Boondock Saints, but I also find the character interesting and worth continuing.

However I must point out that even though I do think it is a fantastic show, and maybe the best on television right now, I find it rather pretentious and self-indulgent that there is a talk show broadcast on the network devoted solely to discussing the Walking DeadÖ especially one hosted by Singled Outís own Chris Hardwick. It strikes me as something fine for the internet, but on television it just irks me.
Yeah, I felt the same way about "talking dead", but I figured AMC is riding high off their own success and it's not like they have such a good lineup that the midnight spot could be put to better use. I saw the talks how for the first time last night, mostly because they had the short preview of the next half of the season. Otherwise, it's skippable.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Elune

Hopefully AMC continues and adds more great shows to its lineup.

I like the way AMC has been taking familiar movie genres and making original television programs with a cinematic feel to them (ie, the Zombie movie). Hell on Wheels is a decent western in my opinion.

Iíd like to see more TV that feels like a movie from them. My preferences would be some sci-fi or fantasy, maybe something in the comic/superhero genre or perhaps a martial arts based show.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Elune

Quote:
Well, if he's gonna fill Otis' role of the likable redneck, then it would make sense for him to also take Otis' comic death at the prison.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Elune

Hershel is a blind fool. But he's not, as pointed above, blinded by his religion. Seems to be that when he talks about a cure he talks from a straight medical/scientific POV, not as a miracle sent from above. Still, a fool though.

Daryl is badass. Hope they don't kill him off. Well, not until the inevitable confrontation with his racist (turned undead?) dickhead of a brother at least.

Andrea is stupid and annoying so far. You don't shoot someone like that (especially when there are 2-3 armed men already running to check if it's a walker and you're not sure who/what it is yourself) just to practice your sniping skills.

Shane is a jerk. Provided he's the only one who had the balls to do what needed to be done, but you don't just walk up to someone's terminally ill kid/wife/cousin and conduct euthanasia taking the decision from the concerned party's hands in the process. The decision for the "barn holocaust" (although right in this case) was Hershel's to make, not Shane's. Which leads me to -

Rick. For the leader of the group who's supposed to make all the tough calls he's a idiot. Maybe none of this shit would've gone down if he had reacted adequately/sooner.

And this is why I like this show. It explores the inner turmoil and the various emotions the characters are going through and why they act the way they do telling us that there aren't easy decisions/ways out and things are a bit more complex than "he's right" and "he's wrong" and that some sacrifices must be made if they're to move on. It also shows how quickly we're willing to leave our humanity behind when the only thing left in a world gone to Hell is survival.

And well, since Exxile already opened the can of Big Fat Spoilers I have a few questions:

Is Carol even in the comics? Cause so far she's done jack shit in the show. And now that the only thing which kept her "grounded" to the series is gone, will the writers finally give her to the zombies? (Pretty please! With a cherry on top. )

Since Exxile mentioned "Lori and the baby's ultimate fate" and if the writers are gonna have the guts to stick to it - SPOIL IT FOR ME PLEASE! What happens to the baby in the comics?

And finally, as far as I know, the comics are still ongoing, right? For how long is the show going to follow (loosely) what happens in the comics? Do they have a planned end to the series or is it just gonna... keep going?

Now excuse me, gentlemen, but I have a prequel to The Thing to watch.

Last edited by Gortrash; 11-28-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Old 11-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
And well, since Exxile already opened the can of Big Fat Spoilers I have a few questions:

Is Carol even in the comics? Cause so far she's done jack shit in the show. And now that the only thing which kept her "grounded" to the series is gone, will the writers finally give her to the zombies? (Pretty please! With a cherry on top. )

Since Exxile mentioned "Lori and the baby's ultimate fate" and if the writers are gonna have the guts to stick to it - SPOIL IT FOR ME PLEASE! What happens to the baby in the comics?

And finally, as far as I know, the comics are still ongoing, right? For how long is the show going to follow (loosely) what happens in the comics? Do they have a planned end to the series or is it just gonna... keep going?

Now excuse me, gentlemen, but I have a prequel to The Thing to watch.
1: Carol is in the comics. She was pretty useless for the most part and ended up killing herself via zombie bite after Rick and Lori turned down her offer of a threesome. I am not making that up.

2: If you don't want this spoiled, turn back now.

I mean it.

Turn back.

Now.

For real.

Okay, not my fault at this point.

Lori has the baby after the group establishes a base in an old prison. Long story short, some douchebag raiders storm it, the group fights them off for a bit, but they ultimately lose. After an uprising of sorts from Rick's group, the leader of the raiders orders them all slain. Lori and the baby (Judith) are both brutally gunned down.

3: The comic is still going strong. Dunno if they have an end planned, but the writer has said that if he keeps doing horrible shit to Rick, he'll just have to kill him or the book will become too unrealistic (recently, Carl took a shotgun blast to the face that's rendered him disfigured and possibly retarded).
Old 11-28-2011, 01:16 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
ended up killing herself via zombie bite after Rick and Lori turned down her offer of a threesome. I am not making that up.
Oh Kirkman, you so crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-28-2011, 02:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Oh Kirkman, you so crazy
Indeed.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM

Elune

Quote:
I suspect that she'll form some kind of relationship with Daryl.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Lori and the baby (Judith) are both brutally gunned down.
Meh, nothing so special then. I was hoping for a zombie baby or something.

And holy shit. How much time do they spend in the fucking prison? Lori's tummy hasn't even begun to show yet...

Quote:
I suspect that she'll form some kind of relationship with Daryl.
Well, hopefully she becomes a character if they're gonna keep her around.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Elune

Quote:
Meh, nothing so special then. I was hoping for a zombie baby or something.

And holy shit. How much time do they spend in the fucking prison? Lori's tummy hasn't even begun to show yet...
I believe the comic is coming up on 100 issues.

Plus they can always do a "several months later" time skip if they remain safe in the prison.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
I believe the comic is coming up on 100 issues.

Plus they can always do a "several months later" time skip if they remain safe in the prison.
Yeah, they could definitely get away with that. I'm looking forward to Shane and Rick's battle over Judith. The comic never says for certain, but it strongly hints that she's Shane's baby. With how well the two actors play off each other, it's definitely gonna be a high point as far as the human drama goes.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 AM

I know condoms are in short supply post-holocaust, but how could you honestly bring a child into a world like that? Just the act of carrying the child to term reeks of terrible parenting to me.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
I know condoms are in short supply post-holocaust, but how could you honestly bring a child into a world like that? Just the act of carrying the child to term reeks of terrible parenting to me.
It's all about hope for the future or some shit. Honestly, a baby being born post-Apocalypse is a death sentence not only for the infant, but for the entire group.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
It's all about hope for the future or some shit. Honestly, a baby being born post-Apocalypse is a death sentence not only for the infant, but for the entire group.
Yup. A baby in a post-apocalyptic society is only good as bait, really, and you can just use a squirrel carcass for that.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Eternal

The only decent thing in this crappy show is Daryl and the asian guy, everything else is just outright lame.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
The only decent thing in this crappy show is Daryl and the asian guy, everything else is just outright lame.
This is why you don't have any friends.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Lumber (War3)

I think this season's arc has been leading up to a confrontation between Shane and Rick. They held off killing Shane for a lot longer than the comic - I think to build his character a little more. But my prediction is that Shane dies at the end of the season, probably shot by Carl, though Rick or Dale or even Lori might get him in the end. And you can never rule out the walkers. Might be fitting after Otis' fate.

I agree with Zula, Glenn and Daryl are my favorite characters on the show. Most of the others are pretty annoying. Also, Tyreese was one of my favorite character in the comic. Is he supposed to be T-dogg? Because T-dogg sucks compared to Tyreese.
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.

Last edited by Saranus; 11-30-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 PM

So bumping this now that the season's over

What the hell was with that guy who saved Andrea at the end? Some dude in a hood with pet armless zombies with a fucking samurai sword? Am I the only one who thinks something like that is too "cool" for this setting, IE, completely and utterly unrealistic? I really hope Andrea was hallucinating that or something

Also, with all this talk about the prison complex, I'm kind of dreading it. I hated that they stayed on the farm for the entire season and I don't want them to stick around a prison (a far more defensible position) for the next.

I did like how they brought back the helicopter from the very first episode even though it didn't really go anywhere (so the helicopter pilot sits two seasons' worth of the show out and then deliberately leads the zombies to the farm... why?) and what Jenner told them.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
So bumping this now that the season's over

What the hell was with that guy who saved Andrea at the end? Some dude in a hood with pet armless zombies with a fucking samurai sword? Am I the only one who thinks something like that is too "cool" for this setting, IE, completely and utterly unrealistic? I really hope Andrea was hallucinating that or something

Also, with all this talk about the prison complex, I'm kind of dreading it. I hated that they stayed on the farm for the entire season and I don't want them to stick around a prison (a far more defensible position) for the next.

I did like how they brought back the helicopter from the very first episode even though it didn't really go anywhere (so the helicopter pilot sits two seasons' worth of the show out and then deliberately leads the zombies to the farm... why?) and what Jenner told them.
http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Mi...omic_Series%29

She's basically a badass who drags her zombie boyfriend and his best friend on chains to make zombies not bother her.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:46 PM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I think the show consistently disappoints and displays sub-par, slightly sexist and slightly racist writing that is not to the standard I expect from AMC at this point.

I mean, the main characters bore the shit out of me. Lets see, two machismo white cops, a black guy who never gets a line of dialogue, a nice old guy and a bunch of subservient women who continue to abide by outdated social dogmas even after the end of the freaking world. "Oh yeah, don't worry about the zombies and arming yourselves, we should just clean dishes and do laundry". This is the same network that made Breaking Bad and Mad Men? At least the toxic masculinity and sexism in those shows are thematic and written in a clever way, not just a stupid stink that hovers over every episode like it was done on accident.

/minor rant.

That said, both seasons started off pretty good, especially the first 3 episodes of season one. Those were great.

Last edited by Porimlys; 03-18-2012 at 09:52 PM..

Tags
caaaaaarl, entertainment, wolves not far, zombies