Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 AM
Crazyterran Crazyterran is offline

Eternal
Crazyterran's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,842
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Default

Canadian here, just to remind everyone that Canada > everyone else during WW1.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-14-2016, 06:42 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,630
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
Canadian here, just to remind everyone that Canada > everyone else.
There is never a time where this is true.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
I looked into Blizzard's heart and saw only retcons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:17 AM
Insipid_Lobster Insipid_Lobster is offline

Eternal
Insipid_Lobster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yolkshur
Posts: 3,738
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Default

I don't know how true it is but apparently Tolkien got the idea of the dead marshes from ww1 battles.
__________________
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Gone...
Posts: 4,736

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
The first world war has a lot of iconic imagery, but not really a lot of iconic moments. The one big exception is the Christmas truce (or rather, a very particular christmas truce), which is why that gets an inordinate amount of focus.
I'd say that World War I had a plenty of iconic moments, from the second Ypres or Tannenberg to Gallipoli or Jutland.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 AM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,777

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I'd say that World War I had a plenty of iconic moments, from the second Ypres or Tannenberg to Gallipoli or Jutland.
Those are moments that are iconic to people who know WWI history, not the general US populace, which is what hollywood movies tend to use as their metric of accessibility.

Popular perception of WWI:
Franz Ferdinand (not the band) gets shot -> all quiet on the western front -> christmas truce -> apparently it ended at some point?

Popular perception of WWII:
Hitler gets voted into power -> Kristalnacht -> that scene with hitler standing on a podium while angrily yelling to the nazi masses assembled before him -> attack on france -> the blitz -> never get involved in a land war in Asia -> holocaust -> anne frank -> all those movies about french resistance fighters -> pearl harbor -> north africa -> operation overlord ->bombing of all those german cities -> hitler commits suicide -> atomic bomb.
__________________
This is not a signature.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Gone...
Posts: 4,736

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Those are moments that are iconic to people who know WWI history, not the general US populace, which is what hollywood movies tend to use as their metric of accessibility.

Popular perception of WWI:
Franz Ferdinand (not the band) gets shot -> all quiet on the western front -> christmas truce -> apparently it ended at some point?

Popular perception of WWII:
Hitler gets voted into power -> Kristalnacht -> that scene with hitler standing on a podium while angrily yelling to the nazi masses assembled before him -> attack on france -> the blitz -> never get involved in a land war in Asia -> holocaust -> anne frank -> all those movies about french resistance fighters -> pearl harbor -> north africa -> operation overlord ->bombing of all those german cities -> hitler commits suicide -> atomic bomb.
So, it is a problem with the US populace as I formerly alluded to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
There's also a YouTube channel where a guy details World War 1 week by week. I haven't gotten through the entire thing myself, but it seems pretty well researched, and he has some standalone videos as well.
Hmm, seen this one.

Looks pretty solid, I like how he delves into many misconceptions pertaining to the beginning of the war.
__________________
Project on hiatus...

Last edited by Marthen; 12-14-2016 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Gromak Gromak is offline

Eternal
Gromak's Avatar
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Germany
Posts: 4,989

Default


Tom Hardy plays a pilot.

Last edited by Gromak; 12-14-2016 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:29 AM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Tom Hardy plays a pilot.
Let the baneposting begin.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Insipid_Lobster Insipid_Lobster is offline

Eternal
Insipid_Lobster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yolkshur
Posts: 3,738
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Default

A fair few of the boats from Dunkirk used by civilians to help ferry troops home are still around and seaworthy!
__________________
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,978

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
So, it is a problem with the US populace as I formerly alluded to?
Not a ''US is dumb in education'' but the war doesn't have as much impact if you lack knowledge of the European political climate and how it came to be. And for that you'd have to go way back to Napoleon, maybe even the French Revolution. Let's not forget about minor countries like Serbia which I doubt Billy from Kansas heard or cares about. And it's obvious why Europeans would make a bigger deal out of it. Myself I admit I don't know much about the American Revolution or the civil war. Even though they're very important for Americans.

Last edited by SmokeBlader; 12-14-2016 at 12:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:04 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Jeez this is going to be a sad movie. War movies usually get me.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Not a ''US is dumb in education'' but the war doesn't have as much impact if you lack knowledge of the European political climate and how it came to be. And for that you'd have to go way back to Napoleon, maybe even the French Revolution. Let's not forget about minor countries like Serbia which I doubt Billy from Kansas heard or cares about. And it's obvious why Europeans would make a bigger deal out of it. Myself I admit I don't know much about the American Revolution or the civil war. Even though they're very important for Americans.
I'll help ya out. It's generally more appropriate and accurate to call the American Civil War, the "War of Northern Aggression". Hope I could help!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
I'll help ya out. It's generally more appropriate and accurate to call the American Civil War, the "War of Northern Aggression". Hope I could help!
I think in the Northeastern States all the way down to Maryland/Delaware they leave the Midwest out of the Civil War because they don't count as the north.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,630
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
I'll help ya out. It's generally more appropriate and accurate to call the American Civil War, the "War of Northern Aggression". Hope I could help!
Yeah those damn Northerns. Ruining things for the South, like freeing the slaves. Fuck those guys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
I looked into Blizzard's heart and saw only retcons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:15 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Yeah those damn Northerns. Ruining things for the South, like freeing the slaves. Fuck those guys.
Your welcome.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:17 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Yeah those damn Northerns. Ruining things for the South, like freeing the slaves. Fuck those guys.
0% unemployment. Thanks Lincoln.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,630
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Your welcome.
You didn't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
0% unemployment. Thanks Lincoln.
Also high death rates.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
I looked into Blizzard's heart and saw only retcons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Torch Torch is offline

Eternal
Torch's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,278
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Something that would be an issue is that, well, no world war I movie can have a happy ending. War might be innately terrible, but at least WWII was a war that ends in a great big triumph. The good guys win, the soldiers go home to have kids, Germany reforms into a diplomatic peaceful power, Japan goes on to make cartoons and electronics, and everyone goes to enjoy the swinging sixties. Sure, there was that whole 'cold war' mess, but that never really got hot.
By contrast, everyone who survives World War I gets to go back home to the Prohibition Era, followed by the great depression, followed by the nazi rise to power, followed by World War II.
That, and with WWII you can actually hand on heart say that the baddest guys got beaten.

WWI? Just a good old European political nationalist imperialist clusterfuck, and moral ambiguity ain't all that popular.
__________________
"Terrorism, a job for lazy people and wankers"

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 12-14-2016 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Also high death rates.
Not like thats changed
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-14-2016, 04:55 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
You didn't do anything.
I liberated you from slavery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
That, and with WWII you can actually hand on heart say that the baddest guys got beaten.

WWI? Just a good old European political nationalist imperialist clusterfuck.
But America participated in that war on the winning side so you can say the bad guys got beaten.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Drusus Drusus is offline

Elune
Drusus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Greymane's Offensive
Posts: 8,699

Default

The comments section of the trailer only furthers my inevitable descent into madness. Harry Styles? Really? Bravo Nolan.

Otherwise it looks pretty solid.

Kino.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
you're the edgemaster 9000 with the leet memes who's close second to Gurzog in shitposting.

Last edited by Drusus; 12-14-2016 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 PM
Tilgath Tilgath is offline

Eternal
Tilgath's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,613

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Bravo Nolan.

Semi-relevant.

That scene is pretty much all I know about Dunkirk. I've read a bit about it on my own since then, but I can't remember ever hearing about it in school.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:22 AM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,422

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
92% now, but hey, that's still a pretty good score.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,012

Orb of Lightning

The story of Dunkirk is one of the greatest to come out of that awful war, but I'm not sure how well it will translate to cinema. It does strike me as the sort of thing people might subconsciously feel obliged to rate highly, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entertainment, history

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.