Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Orb of Lightning CDev Q&A

Part one of this lamentably sparse and boring question and answer session has been released. Find out how the Terran castaways were able to colonize a sector and why Kerrigan doesn't really like Mengsk all that much.

Blegh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

WTF is this?

Unless there's 10 parts or something, this doesn't look any good.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,969
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

Coming soon more important questions like "How can Protoss talk without mouths" or "Is Creep Alive or something" or even "Do marines shoot guns"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,372
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

How about Protoss poon tang?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,969
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
How about Protoss poon tang?
Mental Masturbation taken to a whole new level.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM
spidey1980 spidey1980 is offline

Eternal
spidey1980's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,253

Default

See, this is what happens when you don't have interns doing this shit.
__________________
Quote:
Teenagers (or older) at a Left wing indoctrination camp*
Nothing of value was lost.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

I think the reason for this is that the scope of starcraft is much smaller than warcraft. While warcraft has a bigger scope with various races, classes and factions, Starcraft instead is limited in this units and factions are by a lot the extension the entirety of the race. There's little way to present them differently, so it has a smaller scope and as a consequence a smaller amount of questions and answers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I think the reason for this is that the scope of starcraft is much smaller than warcraft. While warcraft has a bigger scope with various races, classes and factions, Starcraft instead is limited in this units and factions are by a lot the extension the entirety of the race. There's little way to present them differently, so it has a smaller scope and as a consequence a smaller amount of questions and answers.
Nonsense.

Protoss. The Khala are at odds with the Dark Templar. Factions within the Aiur Protoss are fragmenting still further as they try to cope with the loss of their homeworld and the sudden proximity to their ancient enemies. Relics of the old judicator bureaucracy resent their dependence on Shakuras hospitality. Artanis is trying to get everyone to honor Tassadar's sacrifice and work together, but nobody gives a shit about what he thinks. Tassadar himself seems to be pulling a Jesus. Protoss factions that think of themselves as high and mighty lords of creation clash with those who would rather be down to earth stewards of sapient life. The philosophical, cultural and ideological divides are intricate and beautiful.

Terran. The Confederacy is no more, but it would be foolish to think its ideals eradicated by Mengsk's coup. The Dominion is in a delicate balance with Mengsk juggling all sorts of diplomatic and military issues, internal and external. You've got mining syndicates and protectorates and the lovely inevitable mess of interstellar human politics to develop and flesh out. The UED was smashed in the Brood Wars, but what happened to the pieces? What happens when the next fleet arrives to pacify this wayward sector of human space?

Zerg is the only race that can even remotely be considered homogenous, and even then, now that Kerrigan's been removed from command, you've got pseudo-sentient organisms trying to rally the fragmented and confused Swarm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Lon-ami Lon-ami is offline

Elune
Lon-ami's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spain
Posts: 12,518
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default

There's only 3 major races, yes, but there's dozens and dozens of factions, all with just minor mentions as lore.

Also, there's other documented races that were mentioned once, and then forgotten.

So lack of lore isn't an excuse, just a lie.
__________________


Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Nonsense.

Protoss. The Khala are at odds with the Dark Templar. Factions within the Aiur Protoss are fragmenting still further as they try to cope with the loss of their homeworld and the sudden proximity to their ancient enemies. Relics of the old judicator bureaucracy resent their dependence on Shakuras hospitality. Artanis is trying to get everyone to honor Tassadar's sacrifice and work together, but nobody gives a shit about what he thinks. Tassadar himself seems to be pulling a Jesus. Protoss factions that think of themselves as high and mighty lords of creation clash with those who would rather be down to earth stewards of sapient life. The philosophical, cultural and ideological divides are intricate and beautiful.

Terran. The Confederacy is no more, but it would be foolish to think its ideals eradicated by Mengsk's coup. The Dominion is in a delicate balance with Mengsk juggling all sorts of diplomatic and military issues, internal and external. You've got mining syndicates and protectorates and the lovely inevitable mess of interstellar human politics to develop and flesh out. The UED was smashed in the Brood Wars, but what happened to the pieces? What happens when the next fleet arrives to pacify this wayward sector of human space?

Zerg is the only race that can even remotely be considered homogenous, and even then, now that Kerrigan's been removed from command, you've got pseudo-sentient organisms trying to rally the fragmented and confused Swarm.
See that's exactly what i meant, you pointed to me the 3 main topics of starcraft besides those there isn't much else. There's a bit about the dark voice and the Xel'naga but nothing else. In warcraft you have two playable factions but each of them contains at least 6 topics if you don't bother to divide it further, you got class factions, enemy factions and each of these topics are bigger than those that are happening in Starcraft.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
See that's exactly what i meant, you pointed to me the 3 main topics of starcraft besides those there isn't much else. There's a bit about the dark voice and the Xel'naga but nothing else. In warcraft you have two playable factions but each of them contains at least 6 topics if you don't bother to divide it further, you got class factions, enemy factions and each of these topics are bigger than those that are happening in Starcraft.
I was speaking about the three races because you said that each one was more or less homogeneous. This is decidedly not the case. There are factions within each race, Xel'Naga backstory, void shenanigans and multifaceted, oppositional characters on all sides.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
I was speaking about the three races because you said that each one was more or less homogeneous. This is decidedly not the case. There are factions within each race, Xel'Naga backstory, void shenanigans and multifaceted, oppositional characters on all sides.
The factions are minimal and diverge little.
And i already pointed that out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
The factions are minimal and diverge little.
And i already pointed that out.
Where did you point it out? I saw you say "Starcraft has less interesting factions," but that doesn't really say anything beyond "I have an opinion."

The factions canonically diverge extensively, and have a rich system of interactions. Did you read the original Starcraft manual?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Where did you point it out? I saw you say "Starcraft has less interesting factions," but that doesn't really say anything beyond "I have an opinion."

The factions canonically diverge extensively, and have a rich system of interactions. Did you read the original Starcraft manual?
I didn't say less interesting... they are in fact interesting what i said is that Starcraft as a whole has a much smaller scope than warcraft and that leads to significantly smaller amount of question.

No i didn't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I didn't say less interesting... they are in fact interesting what i said is that Starcraft as a whole has a much smaller scope than warcraft and that leads to significantly smaller amount of question.

No i didn't.
The scale as depicted in SCII, I'll certainly grant you that. But the original Starcraft manual described in commendable detail the history and various factions of the Terran humans, the Xel'naga world-view, the different Protoss institutions and the species that different Zerg strains were mutated from.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
The scale as depicted in SCII, I'll certainly grant you that. But the original Starcraft manual described in commendable detail the history and various factions of the Terran humans, the Xel'naga world-view, the different Protoss institutions and the species that different Zerg strains were mutated from.
Factions of humans which got destroyed.
Protoss homeworld is gone destroying much of that.
Which were destroyed by the zerg.

But yeah that's my point for a series that has much more ground to cover than warcraft, it has a surprisingly reduced scope.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Factions of humans which got destroyed.
Protoss homeworld is gone destroying much of that.
Which were destroyed by the zerg.
No, many of them are still in play.
Throwing the interfactional relationships into a turmoil, not eliminating them.
But which bespeaks a complicated world brimming with strange and interesting life.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,372
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Another thing to consider that SCII is a trilogy of three games: of which you have only played one. Each WoW expansion is a relatively self contained story where more stuff could be legitimately said to be "forgotten" after an expansion. With SCII, you are deliberately kept in the dark for the sake of the story.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Another thing to consider that SCII is a trilogy of three games: of which you have only played one. Each WoW expansion is a relatively self contained story where more stuff could be legitimately said to be "forgotten" after an expansion. With SCII, you are deliberately kept in the dark for the sake of the story.
That doesn't change the fact that Mengsk is now incompetent, Raynor is now a cliche action hero and Tychus' arc made no damn sense.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I felt like Mengsk and Raynor were handled very well in Wings of Liberty.

Honestly, the story had only three real issues for me - the ending, Kerrigan's characterization and the reveal about the Overmind.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I felt like Mengsk and Raynor were handled very well in Wings of Liberty.

Honestly, the story had only three real issues for me - the ending, Kerrigan's characterization and the reveal about the Overmind.
All three valid issues in their own right.

Honestly, I could live with Raynor's characterization. But Mengsk was never shown to be so incredibly incompetent. He was a monster, of course, but he played people like an expert. He only failed because he hadn't anticipated the Zerg being commanded by an Overmind capable of predicting his own moves. In WoL, he fails to get through a fucking press conference because an obvious terrorist group broadcast a scratchy recording of his voice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Triceron Triceron is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Triceron's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 577

Default

Zeratul's missions made me die a little inside. I played through the campaign without playing the latter 3 Zeratul crystal missions, I didn't know there were more beyond the first two. The story was pretty straight forward after that.

Then I went back to play those missions, and the story took a huuuuge nosedive for me. Bringing back Tassadar, re-writing the Overmind... It did so much to undo the things that made Starcraft 1 so epic.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,275

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
Then I went back to play those missions, and the story took a huuuuge nosedive for me. Bringing back Tassadar, re-writing the Overmind... It did so much to undo the things that made Starcraft 1 so epic.
I feel you.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I feel you.
Same.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,275

Default

And they brought Tassadar back just because they needed a narrator.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lore, starcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.