Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning CDev Q&A

Part one of this lamentably sparse and boring question and answer session has been released. Find out how the Terran castaways were able to colonize a sector and why Kerrigan doesn't really like Mengsk all that much.

Blegh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

WTF is this?

Unless there's 10 parts or something, this doesn't look any good.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-09-2012, 07:18 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Coming soon more important questions like "How can Protoss talk without mouths" or "Is Creep Alive or something" or even "Do marines shoot guns"
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

How about Protoss poon tang?
Old 10-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
How about Protoss poon tang?
Mental Masturbation taken to a whole new level.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Eternal

See, this is what happens when you don't have interns doing this shit.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 10-09-2012, 11:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I think the reason for this is that the scope of starcraft is much smaller than warcraft. While warcraft has a bigger scope with various races, classes and factions, Starcraft instead is limited in this units and factions are by a lot the extension the entirety of the race. There's little way to present them differently, so it has a smaller scope and as a consequence a smaller amount of questions and answers.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I think the reason for this is that the scope of starcraft is much smaller than warcraft. While warcraft has a bigger scope with various races, classes and factions, Starcraft instead is limited in this units and factions are by a lot the extension the entirety of the race. There's little way to present them differently, so it has a smaller scope and as a consequence a smaller amount of questions and answers.
Nonsense.

Protoss. The Khala are at odds with the Dark Templar. Factions within the Aiur Protoss are fragmenting still further as they try to cope with the loss of their homeworld and the sudden proximity to their ancient enemies. Relics of the old judicator bureaucracy resent their dependence on Shakuras hospitality. Artanis is trying to get everyone to honor Tassadar's sacrifice and work together, but nobody gives a shit about what he thinks. Tassadar himself seems to be pulling a Jesus. Protoss factions that think of themselves as high and mighty lords of creation clash with those who would rather be down to earth stewards of sapient life. The philosophical, cultural and ideological divides are intricate and beautiful.

Terran. The Confederacy is no more, but it would be foolish to think its ideals eradicated by Mengsk's coup. The Dominion is in a delicate balance with Mengsk juggling all sorts of diplomatic and military issues, internal and external. You've got mining syndicates and protectorates and the lovely inevitable mess of interstellar human politics to develop and flesh out. The UED was smashed in the Brood Wars, but what happened to the pieces? What happens when the next fleet arrives to pacify this wayward sector of human space?

Zerg is the only race that can even remotely be considered homogenous, and even then, now that Kerrigan's been removed from command, you've got pseudo-sentient organisms trying to rally the fragmented and confused Swarm.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

There's only 3 major races, yes, but there's dozens and dozens of factions, all with just minor mentions as lore.

Also, there's other documented races that were mentioned once, and then forgotten.

So lack of lore isn't an excuse, just a lie.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Nonsense.

Protoss. The Khala are at odds with the Dark Templar. Factions within the Aiur Protoss are fragmenting still further as they try to cope with the loss of their homeworld and the sudden proximity to their ancient enemies. Relics of the old judicator bureaucracy resent their dependence on Shakuras hospitality. Artanis is trying to get everyone to honor Tassadar's sacrifice and work together, but nobody gives a shit about what he thinks. Tassadar himself seems to be pulling a Jesus. Protoss factions that think of themselves as high and mighty lords of creation clash with those who would rather be down to earth stewards of sapient life. The philosophical, cultural and ideological divides are intricate and beautiful.

Terran. The Confederacy is no more, but it would be foolish to think its ideals eradicated by Mengsk's coup. The Dominion is in a delicate balance with Mengsk juggling all sorts of diplomatic and military issues, internal and external. You've got mining syndicates and protectorates and the lovely inevitable mess of interstellar human politics to develop and flesh out. The UED was smashed in the Brood Wars, but what happened to the pieces? What happens when the next fleet arrives to pacify this wayward sector of human space?

Zerg is the only race that can even remotely be considered homogenous, and even then, now that Kerrigan's been removed from command, you've got pseudo-sentient organisms trying to rally the fragmented and confused Swarm.
See that's exactly what i meant, you pointed to me the 3 main topics of starcraft besides those there isn't much else. There's a bit about the dark voice and the Xel'naga but nothing else. In warcraft you have two playable factions but each of them contains at least 6 topics if you don't bother to divide it further, you got class factions, enemy factions and each of these topics are bigger than those that are happening in Starcraft.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
See that's exactly what i meant, you pointed to me the 3 main topics of starcraft besides those there isn't much else. There's a bit about the dark voice and the Xel'naga but nothing else. In warcraft you have two playable factions but each of them contains at least 6 topics if you don't bother to divide it further, you got class factions, enemy factions and each of these topics are bigger than those that are happening in Starcraft.
I was speaking about the three races because you said that each one was more or less homogeneous. This is decidedly not the case. There are factions within each race, Xel'Naga backstory, void shenanigans and multifaceted, oppositional characters on all sides.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
I was speaking about the three races because you said that each one was more or less homogeneous. This is decidedly not the case. There are factions within each race, Xel'Naga backstory, void shenanigans and multifaceted, oppositional characters on all sides.
The factions are minimal and diverge little.
And i already pointed that out.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
The factions are minimal and diverge little.
And i already pointed that out.
Where did you point it out? I saw you say "Starcraft has less interesting factions," but that doesn't really say anything beyond "I have an opinion."

The factions canonically diverge extensively, and have a rich system of interactions. Did you read the original Starcraft manual?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Where did you point it out? I saw you say "Starcraft has less interesting factions," but that doesn't really say anything beyond "I have an opinion."

The factions canonically diverge extensively, and have a rich system of interactions. Did you read the original Starcraft manual?
I didn't say less interesting... they are in fact interesting what i said is that Starcraft as a whole has a much smaller scope than warcraft and that leads to significantly smaller amount of question.

No i didn't.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
I didn't say less interesting... they are in fact interesting what i said is that Starcraft as a whole has a much smaller scope than warcraft and that leads to significantly smaller amount of question.

No i didn't.
The scale as depicted in SCII, I'll certainly grant you that. But the original Starcraft manual described in commendable detail the history and various factions of the Terran humans, the Xel'naga world-view, the different Protoss institutions and the species that different Zerg strains were mutated from.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
The scale as depicted in SCII, I'll certainly grant you that. But the original Starcraft manual described in commendable detail the history and various factions of the Terran humans, the Xel'naga world-view, the different Protoss institutions and the species that different Zerg strains were mutated from.
Factions of humans which got destroyed.
Protoss homeworld is gone destroying much of that.
Which were destroyed by the zerg.

But yeah that's my point for a series that has much more ground to cover than warcraft, it has a surprisingly reduced scope.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Factions of humans which got destroyed.
Protoss homeworld is gone destroying much of that.
Which were destroyed by the zerg.
No, many of them are still in play.
Throwing the interfactional relationships into a turmoil, not eliminating them.
But which bespeaks a complicated world brimming with strange and interesting life.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 03:33 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Another thing to consider that SCII is a trilogy of three games: of which you have only played one. Each WoW expansion is a relatively self contained story where more stuff could be legitimately said to be "forgotten" after an expansion. With SCII, you are deliberately kept in the dark for the sake of the story.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Another thing to consider that SCII is a trilogy of three games: of which you have only played one. Each WoW expansion is a relatively self contained story where more stuff could be legitimately said to be "forgotten" after an expansion. With SCII, you are deliberately kept in the dark for the sake of the story.
That doesn't change the fact that Mengsk is now incompetent, Raynor is now a cliche action hero and Tychus' arc made no damn sense.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 07:25 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I felt like Mengsk and Raynor were handled very well in Wings of Liberty.

Honestly, the story had only three real issues for me - the ending, Kerrigan's characterization and the reveal about the Overmind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I felt like Mengsk and Raynor were handled very well in Wings of Liberty.

Honestly, the story had only three real issues for me - the ending, Kerrigan's characterization and the reveal about the Overmind.
All three valid issues in their own right.

Honestly, I could live with Raynor's characterization. But Mengsk was never shown to be so incredibly incompetent. He was a monster, of course, but he played people like an expert. He only failed because he hadn't anticipated the Zerg being commanded by an Overmind capable of predicting his own moves. In WoL, he fails to get through a fucking press conference because an obvious terrorist group broadcast a scratchy recording of his voice.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Zeratul's missions made me die a little inside. I played through the campaign without playing the latter 3 Zeratul crystal missions, I didn't know there were more beyond the first two. The story was pretty straight forward after that.

Then I went back to play those missions, and the story took a huuuuge nosedive for me. Bringing back Tassadar, re-writing the Overmind... It did so much to undo the things that made Starcraft 1 so epic.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
Then I went back to play those missions, and the story took a huuuuge nosedive for me. Bringing back Tassadar, re-writing the Overmind... It did so much to undo the things that made Starcraft 1 so epic.
I feel you.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I feel you.
Same.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM

Revenant - Moderator

And they brought Tassadar back just because they needed a narrator.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Tags
lore, starcraft