Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 PM

World Builder

One thing that bugged me about the campaign, I don't think they did enough to make Artanis and the other protoss expressive enough most of the time, not enough gestures.

I know their face doesnt' have a mouth or most human features so that's a challenge, but between psionic energy, the eyes, and gesturing they could've made them seem a little more animated, especially with the loss of the khala.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
One thing that bugged me about the campaign, I don't think they did enough to make Artanis and the other protoss expressive enough most of the time, not enough gestures.

I know their face doesnt' have a mouth or most human features so that's a challenge, but between psionic energy, the eyes, and gesturing they could've made them seem a little more animated, especially with the loss of the khala.
With the loss of the khala, they do not know what other protoss are feeling either. You feel their loss.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Loremaster

Well, even without the Khala they never communicated visually or aurally. They're still literally throwing thoughts at each other as "words" and, presumably, interpreting even terran speech by way of the projected thoughts behind it rather than learning the literal noises being made. Lacking the Khala just means they aren't perpetually immersed in the "pool" of their whole race's psionic presence; their mechanics of person-to-person speech remain the same.

Which really makes StarCraft somewhat better about everyone's shared comprehension than a lot of sci-fi universes that either handwave it with Universal Translators or jump straight to everybody already being fluent in English. It makes sense for the zerg and protoss to understand each other and the terrans because both alien species technically interpret via telepathy rather than spoken language.

Which means even overheard terran speech could potentially filter up from less intelligent zerg forms to more advanced strains that can properly understand it. Just because zerglings seem like dumb animals doesn't mean there isn't a smart queen farther up the"chain" sifting through and making use of everything you say in front of them.

Which is probably advantageous for the protoss, whose non-verbal speech is probably targeted such that only the intended listener can "hear" it.

Tags
heresy, starcraft