Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 PM

Elune

Default [Theorycrafting] SC FPS

The thread about the future of Blizzard made me think of an idea for a SC FPS game and I really like it. So much so I've made this thread to post my ideas and hear yours.

Anyway, this is meant to be a discussion on the topic so feel free post your designs for it. I'll proceed with my own:

So as I've said in the other thread, I think the game should be quite like AvP. With the three races even roughly corresponding zerg (xenomorphs), protos (predators) and humans are humans

Now AvP had great campaigns but it was perhaps best in multiplayer. Those distinct racial playstyles interacting was awesome and ofc it got even crazier when you throw in the different xenomorph forms and various human and predator classes.
And this would fit a SC FPS perfectly. Not only could you have a general paradigm of zerg (strong melee, fast, hardy), protoss (hard to kill, versatile), terran (high firepower, moderate otherwise). Instead you could also have varied units representing them. What I mean is, the basic might be zergling, zealot (actually probably dragoon/stalker) and marine but you can also pick different types of smaller zerg, high templar, dark templar, marauder, firebat, ghost, maybe some light vehicles for protos and terran... there is just a lot to choose from to make for very fun multiplayer.
And this doesn't even get me to various modes of multiplayer. Besides the standard stuff like deathmatch/team deathmatch/location taking you could have maps where you play as a team to survive waves of zerg AI (same could be done with other races too probs), maps where you play as a team to achieve an objective (possibly take down some huge zerg beasty boss)... there is just so many options, multiplayer for this game is very promising.

Now in terms of singleplayer, again like AvP I would most love to see each race get a campaign. But honestly except that, I am not sure about anything else. This is not to say I don't have ideas, it is the exact opposite. There are so many ways to go about it I am not sure which is best.
Ideally though it would be a game with multiple protagonists, and obviously not only because there are three racial campaigns. Instead the human campaign, for example, could have a ghost as one of the characters (Nova? ) but also a marine and a firebat, maybe one of the vehicle units (though vehicles could also be a thing everyone uses, both in single and multiplayer). Same for zerg and protoss campaign with their respective units.
I'd also likely incorporate some RPG elements, upgrading your weapons and armor as human/protoss and mutating adaptations as zerg. These options can carry morsels of lore just how RPG elements in SC2 do.

Speaking of lore, a cool idea would be to produce this game at the same time as an RTS SC game and have the stories intertwined. Not so much that you need the other game to understand the story of the one you are playing. But they cover the same war and complement each other. Since the games are of different genres they don't directly compete but in fact their shared story might inspire many players to buy the other game. And it provides a richer, more immersive experience for those who do end up buying both games.
Another thing that could be cool would be documents and audio logs strewn around the game map that add tidbits of lore and plot, these are like bonuses and not crucial to understanding the main plot.

My last idea is perhaps the most out there, squad based gameplay. So yeah squads, they can be fun and they hearken to the RTS roots of the game and even allow for coop campaigns. I mostly mean AI controlled squads here, you have AI controlled friendlies and you fight together, you don't have to direct them, but as for the idea of you controlling them... that is also a possible direction, but it would be either one or the other (having the option to both control and not control your squad and optimizing the game for both approaches is probably too complicated).
OR you can mix and match. For example the ghost portion of the terran campaign is done solo but the marine/firebat/marauder/whatever part is done with AI buddies.

Anyhow that is the rough idea for the game, tell me what you think. If anyone got this far
Old 06-27-2016, 04:43 PM

World Builder

Would be glorious but Ghost doesn't leave me hopeful

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-29-2016, 04:20 PM

Elune

Welp, seems few people share my opinion that a SC FPS would be a great thing
Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

It would probably be better than a Warcraft RPG, but I'm not sure what there is to say on the matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Elune

its kinda reductive with overwatch
Old 07-14-2016, 05:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Let's be fair, StarCraft lore kinda sucks, specially because lack of variety. They could have expanded alien races a lot during SC2, but they didn't introduce any new civilization. It's still Protoss, Terran, and Zerg, with no other neutral races to add variety with.

The 3 races are very different too. I think the furthest we'll go is Overwatch skins, and even that is kinda unlikely.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Tags
avp nostalgia, fanwank, fps, nova's revenge, starcraft