Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Default LotV Press Releases

Some interesting new stuff at Blizzard's Press Center added a month ago.

Quote:
Legacy of the Void Faction Descriptions

Templar (or Aiur Protoss)

With their highly advanced technology and potent psionic abilities, the Aiur protoss have long considered themselves the most powerful species in the known galaxy. Although they are not a prolific people, they have learned to bolster the ranks of their military with robotic war machines and to combine their intrinsic psionic ability with technology, thus producing some of the most effective warriors ever known?the Templar.

If the Aiur protoss have a weakness, though, it is their difficulty accepting change. They are bound by the Khala, a psionic bond that allows them to share both thought and emotion. The tenets of the Khala form a rigid path, and the Aiur protoss are loath to deviate from it in fear of losing all they have built. Now that the Conclave has been disbanded in favor of the new hierarchy, some Aiur protoss have accepted the Nerazim as their kin, but the old hatreds still remain beneath the surface.

Tal'darim

The Tal'darim are an ancient faction of fanatical protoss completely loyal to Amon. They have spent countless ages in unquestioning service, enacting the will of their god, and believing themselves to be the Chosen of the xel?naga. Hostile toward outsiders, the Tal'darim have little interaction with other protoss, and do not seem concerned with evangelizing their mission beyond their ranks.

They are currently led by Ma'lash, a brutal and unyielding ruler who is rumored to have been favored by Amon himself.

Nerazim

The Dark Templar were originally the rogue tribes and individuals who did not join the Aiur protoss? Khala after a civil war known as the Aeon of Strife. The ruling Conclave kept the existence of the rebels a secret, but also wanted them eliminated. The rogue tribes were not hostile, but felt surrendering to the Khala would destroy their individuality.
Eventually the Templar, led by Adun, were ordered to hunt the rogues down in secret. But Adun could not kill his own kind. Instead he faked the executions and led the rogues away. Adun taught the rogues to use their latent psionic powers to hide from the other protoss, but the Dark Templar powers spun out of control, causing massive psionic storms across Aiur. The Conclave had little trouble tracing the storms back to their source.

Adun and his warriors refused to kill the rogues and threatened to reveal that the Conclave had kept their existence a secret if they tried to kill them. The Conclave agreed to exile them instead, loading them onto an abandoned xel'naga craft. Their exile from Aiur would later be known as the Discord. Henceforth, the rogues' became known as the Dark Templar, for they had forsaken the Khala's light.

The dark templar are more individualistic and work in smaller groups compared to the Aiur protoss who are more culturally monolithic. Each Dark Templar is encouraged to forge his or her own destiny and path, and they believe that fostering this attitude leads to their great successes.

Purifiers

The Purifiers were built under direct order of the Conclave to be an ultimate fighting force at a time when the scientists were making technological advancements in intelligent robotics and A.I. The program was originally kept in shadow and unified by the belief that consciousness could be turned into data, thereby used to preserve the thought-process and decision-making ability of a formerly living being. Studies proved that the replications were often 99.3 percent accurate to the protoss subject the replication was patterned after. The Conclave moved to use this technology to build a force replicated from the greatest warriors in history.

They did not, however, treat the Purifiers with the same respect afforded to regular Templar. Instead, the Purifiers were little more than slaves in the Conclave's eyes. Eventually, the Purifiers chose to rebel, killing their masters. In return, the Conclave determined that the Purifiers were too dangerous and banned them. They were powered down and launched away in a command vessel, Cybros, to be reactivated only in the direst of circumstances.
The insignias match up to the Akilae tribe symbol, the Sargas tribe symbol, and the Judicator caste decal (in Overwatch colors). The Tal'darim symbol does not match either of their decals at all.
Attached Images

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-12-2015 at 10:28 PM..
Old 10-13-2015, 08:34 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

i h8 Kerrigan
Old 10-13-2015, 08:26 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Kewl......

I like them associating the Nerazim with the Sargas Tribe. They were always my favorite.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:55 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

"It has been noted that more Dark Templar stem from the Sargas Tribe
than from any other."

At least they remembered that much from the original manual, even though the Sargas were never really a 'rogue tribe.'

I guess I can see Ara and Shelak being destroyed during the fall of Aiur, but it's irritating that the Furinax and Auriga were subsumed by the Akilae (presumably because the Akilae have a cooler insignia). It would have made sense, given the whole golden armada shtick Blizzard's trying to hammer home these days, to at least give the Auriga a speaking role.

The whole AI thing is bullshit, of course. As far as I'm concerned it contradicts fundamental aspects of the Protoss ethos, serves no purpose when the Khala already unites all orthodox Protoss with the thoughts/perspectives of all others, and is basically a more evul version of the dragoon program. Not to mention the whole 'omg robots are sapient now but people aren't treating them like people, wow, such deep, many profound' trope is pretty fucking cliche by this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:10 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
than from any other."

At least they remembered that much from the original manual, even though the Sargas were never really a 'rogue tribe.'

I guess I can see Ara and Shelak being destroyed during the fall of Aiur, but it's irritating that the Furinax and Auriga were subsumed by the Akilae (presumably because the Akilae have a cooler insignia). It would have made sense, given the whole golden armada shtick Blizzard's trying to hammer home these days, to at least give the Auriga a speaking role.

The whole AI thing is bullshit, of course. As far as I'm concerned it contradicts fundamental aspects of the Protoss ethos, serves no purpose when the Khala already unites all orthodox Protoss with the thoughts/perspectives of all others, and is basically a more evul version of the dragoon program. Not to mention the whole 'omg robots are sapient now but people aren't treating them like people, wow, such deep, many profound' trope is pretty fucking cliche by this point.
Yeah I've got to say the revelation that the Purifiers minds are taken from other protoss really sucks.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

My initial thought with the purifiers was "Oh. they must be a prototype and less ethical version of later, perfected dragoon tech". I know dragoons are more cyborgs than robots, but logically it does make sense to try whole brain emulation before using extensive physical systems to keep a dying body alive. This explains, effectively, why they have to use a less efficient tech. I see no issue with this.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:36 AM

World Builder

If they can't connect to purifiers via the Khala then I might be able to buy that.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 10-14-2015, 07:38 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
than from any other."

Ara and Shelak are both parts of Artanis's Daelaam Hierarchy as of the Dark Templar Trilogy, but their role has been subdued. The Protoss are at war, their supreme leader is a Templar Executor. Historians and bureaucrats are less relevant. You're right about Auriga and Furinax.

Is there any way to get a purifier Fenix?

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 10-14-2015 at 09:03 AM..
Old 10-14-2015, 07:41 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
Is there any way to get a purifier Fenix?
...Now that you mention it, that is the logical extension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:42 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Based on the latest short story, "Aiur protoss" seems to be a proper name.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/lor...hildren-void/1

Edit: It seems that the "Why We Fight" manga has been retconned. It is no longer the Khalai of the Protoss Protectorate, but the Aiur protoss of the Daelaam. I wonder if this was an in- or out-of-universe change. I assume Khalai was dropped because the Khala will be gone for 9/10ths of LotV.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 10-14-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Tags
starcraft 2