Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Tassadar Ex Machina will be back for a final showdown.
Oh, damn, there is that. Only thing I hate more than Ex Machinas are "ascendents". I happen to like my body very much thank you. I think Force Ghosts need to get a life.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCR View Post
Going by Blizzard's recent writing shenanigans, I think it's highly likely that the Protoss will retake Aiur during LoTV.
Called it:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/star...panel-overview

LotV's story is already setting itself up for as much redundancies as WoL. So the Protoss retake Aiur but then they lose it again to Amon? Blizzard...

At least the gameplay and art look as awesome as usual.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:59 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

I'm anxious to see the Shadowcorps and the Purifiers.

I'm expecting the Shadowcorps to be some elite conspiring secret society made up of the leftovers of Arcturus' regime, mixed with a hybrid cult (Arcturus was in on the Hybrids). That and I'm anxious to see how Valerian ends up.

While I'd love for the Purifiers to resemble more of their own race, with all their units being more or less unique, I'm expecting them to be variants of both existing and new Protoss Mech, which doesn't leave me disappointed, seeing as how they'll probably be variants we have access to.

Oh....... and Psi Axes.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

After watching all of the Starcraft panels i have to say they are a bit thin there is the Lore dude that is usually with Metzen if he is on there. Makes me wonder if they are already working on Starcraft after LOTV.

Run
Old 11-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Revenant - Moderator

The trailer seemed to conflict with my guess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
My guess for a plot twist is that Zeratul will be forced to choose between letting the zerg devour the entirety of Aiur and/or letting Kerrigan's swarm be too weak to kill Amon. Even the most liberal of both types of Templar would be against that.
Not complaining.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 11-08-2014 at 03:45 PM..
Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 PM

Eternal

I do have to say, they really got the protoss aesthetic down. Absolutely amazing.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 PM

World Builder

Think we'll see any SC1 Reavers?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-08-2014, 11:26 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
One can only hope.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:28 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I'm anxious to see the Shadowcorps and the Purifiers.

I'm expecting the Shadowcorps to be some elite conspiring secret society made up of the leftovers of Arcturus' regime, mixed with a hybrid cult (Arcturus was in on the Hybrids). That and I'm anxious to see how Valerian ends up.
The Shadow Corps are remnants of Project Moebius being controlled by the Xel'naga, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
After watching all of the Starcraft panels i have to say they are a bit thin there is the Lore dude that is usually with Metzen if he is on there. Makes me wonder if they are already working on Starcraft after LOTV.
Don't you bad talk James. Fight me IRL bro.

Quote:
Someone asked that question on the panel and I think the answer was yes.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:08 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The Shadow Corps are remnants of Project Moebius being controlled by the Xel'naga, I believe.
Considering how many humans are involved in facilitating the creation of the Hybrid, coupled with Duran/Narud just happening to be right there when the UED showed up in Brood War, I'm getting this sneaking suspicion Amon might have screwed around with humanity's evolution independently from the other Xel'naga experiments to provide a third-party "foreign" element that could create his Hybrids by engineering a workaround to the protoss immunity to zerg assimilation.

Amon and Narud already had access to the Tal'darim and their protoss technology, yet instead they've been compelled to have terrans use their genetic research and technology to meld zerg and protoss DNA instead. It's just too damned convenient how it just so happened that the terrans showed up in the Koprulu Sector in ships deliberately filled with genetic stock possessing just the right psionic potential to prove compatible with both of the races engineered by the Xel'naga.

It's almost like the old UPL on Earth was somehow compelled to deliberately ship the exact sort of terrans Amon would need to fulfill his plans, to the exact corner of the galaxy where he would need them to be to contribute to the birth of the Hybrid. Which, considering if the Swarm had succeeded in exterminating the protoss he'd have no Hybrids, would mean that by creating the Queen of Blades the Overmind might have actually been doing exactly what Amon wanted - creating a viable human/zerg hybrid as the first step in the process of establishing human psionic potential as the medium toward merging zerg and protoss DNA.

Which, considering she was originally "tainted" by Amon's corruption (presumably inherited from the Overmind), could mean that the original Queen of Blade's repeated attempts to create more viable infested humans might have been less her own idea than even she thought - she could have unwittingly, even "reflexively" been honing the zerg end of the Hybrid development while Narud's Moebius Foundation and their Tal'darim allies worked from the other end by experimenting on protoss.

The "we'll see" sort of answer to the UED question at the SC panel just has me thinking that they might not only be back in LotV, but that they might come back on Amon's side. That there might be multiple entities like Narud out there who've been manipulating things from behind the scenes, perhaps even engineering the events on Earth that led to the colonization of the Koprulu Sector and, as it turned out, provided Amon's plans with a concentrated source of human psionic potential.

Last edited by ARM3481; 11-09-2014 at 02:12 AM..
Old 11-09-2014, 02:32 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Biggest thing for me was how the trailer was a huge indicator for Zeratul dying. Even in the interviews, they pretty much all but say it.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 AM

Elune

So Amon is just a Cthulhu looking guy?
Old 11-09-2014, 09:13 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
That there might be multiple entities like Narud out there who've been manipulating things from behind the scenes, perhaps even engineering the events on Earth that led to the colonization of the Koprulu Sector and, as it turned out, provided Amon's plans with a concentrated source of human psionic potential.
What was the name of that scientist who originally sent everyone into space...

Oh yeah...

"Doran" Routhe

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-10-2014, 02:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

Oh yeah...

"Doran" Routhe
"I had many names throughout the millennia: Narud, Duran, Urnad, Rudan, Doran, Dorin, Darin... When it comes to naming my new alter ego, my fantasy KNOWS NO BOUNDS!!!"
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

Oh yeah...

"Doran" Routhe
Old 11-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
I've suddenly remembered something!
The story behind the Voice in the Darkness from the Frontline manga was described as "StarCraft meets Cthulhu" by its author. What if?..
It was an awesome short story, and I won't be against seeing that entity again. I doubt that it's necessarily that thing from the manga, but maybe Amon recruited him into his fold, since he is the fallen Xel'naga, and is presumably very different from the ones, who banished the KL-2 entity. And guess, who've found him first? Moebius Foundation.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:45 AM

The Zerg will be the true heroes of the Protoss's story.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiraser View Post
I've suddenly remembered something!
The story behind the Voice in the Darkness from the Frontline manga was described as "StarCraft meets Cthulhu" by its author. What if?..
It was an awesome short story, and I won't be against seeing that entity again. I doubt that it's necessarily that thing from the manga, but maybe Amon recruited him into his fold, since he is the fallen Xel'naga, and is presumably very different from the ones, who banished the KL-2 entity. And guess, who've found him first? Moebius Foundation.
IIRC, they've outright said they aren't the same thing, and there is at least on e distinct difference between them: Backstory. One is Evil because that's how the universe made it, and was discovered and defeated by the Xel'naga, whilst the other is in fact a fallen Xel'naga. That said, this somewhat bothers me, as beyond their background, I see far more similarities than differences. Both have a negative influence on the minds of mortals, the aforementioned Moebious connection, Void connection, Nihilistic God Complex, etc. Which leads me to believe there's not really room for both of them.

There are some possibilities:
1. As you mentioned, recruitment. KL-2 may have been recruited by Amon, or vice verse. The only problem I have with this is that both of them seem to be very self involved. One is looking to darken all things and have only himself and the hybrids he created in his image remain. The other has the mantra of "all voices shall speak as one or be silenced" thing going on, which is about the same thing. Both of these guys think they should be the be-all end-all of the Universe, which leads me to believe they wouldn't have much use for eachother.

2. Independant: They could have independantly come to their positions (one falling, the other just being born that way, but the other having fallen, and then come to pretty much the exact same position. Possible yes. Is it good for the Narrative? No.

3. Out of Lore: Theory of mine: they guy who wrote it came up with the idea, wrote it, but the story was initially rejected. Perhaps Metzen and company decided they really liked some aspects of the idea after all and incorporated that into Amon. In the mean time, so as not to just blatantly rip off the "Voice in the Darkness" writer, they published his story so that he could have his stuff out there first. They may never do anything with KL-2 because everything they wanted to do with that creature they're doing with Amon.

I'm open to alternative suggestion.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:24 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
IIRC, they've outright said they aren't the same thing, and there is at least on e distinct difference between them: Backstory. One is Evil because that's how the universe made it, and was discovered and defeated by the Xel'naga, whilst the other is in fact a fallen Xel'naga. That said, this somewhat bothers me, as beyond their background, I see far more similarities than differences. Both have a negative influence on the minds of mortals, the aforementioned Moebious connection, Void connection, Nihilistic God Complex, etc. Which leads me to believe there's not really room for both of them.

There are some possibilities:
1. As you mentioned, recruitment. KL-2 may have been recruited by Amon, or vice verse. The only problem I have with this is that both of them seem to be very self involved. One is looking to darken all things and have only himself and the hybrids he created in his image remain. The other has the mantra of "all voices shall speak as one or be silenced" thing going on, which is about the same thing. Both of these guys think they should be the be-all end-all of the Universe, which leads me to believe they wouldn't have much use for eachother.

2. Independant: They could have independantly come to their positions (one falling, the other just being born that way, but the other having fallen, and then come to pretty much the exact same position. Possible yes. Is it good for the Narrative? No.

3. Out of Lore: Theory of mine: they guy who wrote it came up with the idea, wrote it, but the story was initially rejected. Perhaps Metzen and company decided they really liked some aspects of the idea after all and incorporated that into Amon. In the mean time, so as not to just blatantly rip off the "Voice in the Darkness" writer, they published his story so that he could have his stuff out there first. They may never do anything with KL-2 because everything they wanted to do with that creature they're doing with Amon.

I'm open to alternative suggestion.
Do we know when Amon fell? Or even why? The fact he's "fallen" implies he once shared the same goals and ideals as the rest, before turning to the path he's on now. Perhaps he was still with the other Xel'naga when they imprisoned the KL-2 entity and was inspired by its power and its goals to betray the rest of his kind.

Just his tampering in the creation of the Overmind while it was being made by the Xel'naga raises the possibility that he was still with them (in some form - whether before he fell or somehow concealed among them) when they engineered the protoss and zerg, and therefore he could have potentially been present when they built all their other facilities in the sector, including the one where the imprisoned entity resided.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
IIRC, they've outright said they aren't the same thing.
Oh, I remember about that comment from the devs. I've just wanted to say that the thing from the artwork could've been the KL-2 entity. As you said, it sadly very much possible for them to just plainly ignore the KL-2 entity in their future stories, if LotV won't turn out as the last game in SC franchise.

I don't have much of a theory myself, since there's pretty much no real info about Amon's biography. But his connections with Ulrezaj and the Voice in the Darkness have always bugged me. Yes, Ulrezaj could've been an indirect pawn of Narud or Duran.(geez we still don't know, whether they are different characters, or not) But some sort of planet consuming evil god-like entity seems out of proportions for him to be an experiment of Amon or just another pawn. But... if his plan was at work for millions of years, who the hell knows. Maybe he was even behind the UED fleet or the Doran's project.
And the saddest thing here is that Amon's character isn't explored at all. They writers of 'Voice in the Darkness' managed to tell an awesome story and created their own scary version of Cthulhu. So I really hope that Amon's backstory and motives will be fully explored in LotV.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:29 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Do we know when Amon fell? Or even why? The fact he's "fallen" implies he once shared the same goals and ideals as the rest, before turning to the path he's on now. Perhaps he was still with the other Xel'naga when they imprisoned the KL-2 entity and was inspired by its power and its goals to betray the rest of his kind.

Just his tampering in the creation of the Overmind while it was being made by the Xel'naga raises the possibility that he was still with them (in some form - whether before he fell or somehow concealed among them) when they engineered the protoss and zerg, and therefore he could have potentially been present when they built all their other facilities in the sector, including the one where the imprisoned entity resided.
Exactly. This is the only difference between KL-2 and Amon. Amon is Xel'Naga and fell. KL-2 was just born bad. I do like your idea that he got the idea from KL-2 (better than him having been corrupted by KL-2) but I sill feel the Universe isn't big enough for the both of them, let alone the poor little Korprulu sector.

Quote:
And the saddest thing here is that Amon's character isn't explored at all. They writers of 'Voice in the Darkness' managed to tell an awesome story and created their own scary version of Cthulhu. So I really hope that Amon's backstory and motives will be fully explored in LotV.
Unfortunately, I don't really see how we could get that in LotV. It's hard enough to get the motives of such powerful Alien beings at all, let alone in the course of a Strategy game Campaign.

On the other hand, it would be a great place to take a tie-in novel, probably featuring Jake Ramsey, his new Protoss friend from Project Blackstone, and company. What is Ms. Golden up to these days? I haven't heard about anything Blizzard has been doing novel wise since War Crimes, and even further back in regards to Starcraft (what, the HotS tie-in, Flashpoint?).
Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Exactly. This is the only difference between KL-2 and Amon. Amon is Xel'Naga and fell. KL-2 was just born bad. I do like your idea that he got the idea from KL-2 (better than him having been corrupted by KL-2) but I sill feel the Universe isn't big enough for the both of them, let alone the poor little Korprulu sector.

Unfortunately, I don't really see how we could get that in LotV. It's hard enough to get the motives of such powerful Alien beings at all, let alone in the course of a Strategy game Campaign.

On the other hand, it would be a great place to take a tie-in novel, probably featuring Jake Ramsey, his new Protoss friend from Project Blackstone, and company. What is Ms. Golden up to these days? I haven't heard about anything Blizzard has been doing novel wise since War Crimes, and even further back in regards to Starcraft (what, the HotS tie-in, Flashpoint?).

according to sclegacy some deleted content had some rather....intriguing revelations about Amon.

- Stukov says "What does he want?" Presumably Amon. Kerrigan says "Redemption. And to get it, he will destroy all of us. I don't know why."

I had a theory that Amon's start of darkness was the aeon of strife; he wanted to create the xel'naga in a better way, and embraced the void to do so. As part of his plan he slipped the idea of the hive mind to his brethren, got himself on the project than he secretly implanted his directive as part of the process so that the Overmind would destroy the Xel'naga, and thus allow him to "perfect" them. Unfortuantely things went tits up; his brethren executed him for his crimes (and since they are peace lovers this means a lot) and the overmind created kerrigan to get around him.

If Legacy is the length of wings of liberty in campaign length than I think Amon could be fleshed out and an actual threat.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 PM

Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
True enough, I suppose. Still, I miss Aldaris.
YES! I loved Aldaris as a kid, I think the Protoss have slowly become more generic, they've lost that Blizzard spin on the general sci-fi trope, I'd like it if they regained their caste/tribal/bureaucratic governmental structure that was the original and Brood War

Tags
speculation, starcraft