Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 09-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I'm pretty sure this is a gaming website.
Hard to tell, sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Elune

Old 09-08-2014, 03:46 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Laws like that and the way they phrase it makes me think these people have never had sex. While I can't even recall a single time a girl was direct in vocally giving consent, if a girl is willing to go that far during your interaction it's usually a lot more obvious than a nod.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
Laws like that and the way they phrase it makes me think these people have never had sex. While I can't even recall a single time a girl was direct in vocally giving consent, if a girl is willing to go that far during your interaction it's usually a lot more obvious than a nod.
Did you not like the Army's definition of rape and sexual assault?
Old 09-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
I've been drinking beer since I've been 16. That's 14 (oh God) years now.
There's been some miscommunication here. When I refer to blackout drunk I mean when you lose most of your memory of the night including during the night itself (which might be more along the lines of the memory never being stored? I don't know how it works).
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC

Last edited by SomeRandomEvilGuy; 09-08-2014 at 04:23 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

The Things We Suffer

A horrible story.

Also a good reason to ignore the Fifth Commandment (if Protestant or Jewish) or the Fourth (if Catholic).

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Elune

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle20335529/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/op...rham.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerscr...l-correctness/

How institutionalized is this Rotherham incident in the UK? Is this just a big case that gets attention where the government turned a blind eye to child rape because they didn't want to appear bigoted to foreigners? Do the authorities have a policy of letting immigrants do what ever they want and they won't protect even vulnerable children for free of being called racist or pissing off a minority voting block? I know a lot of people get off calling others racist and some people invest a lot of self-worth into the idea that they are the tolerant ones that need to shun the intolerant ones. This just seems like institutionalized insanity though. Someone please tell me it isn't that bad.

Ragnahar never be deterred from stopping evil because some losers will call you racist!
Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle20335529/

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/op...rham.html?_r=0

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerscr...l-correctness/

How institutionalized is this Rotherham incident in the UK? Is this just a big case that gets attention where the government turned a blind eye to child rape because they didn't want to appear bigoted to foreigners? Do the authorities have a policy of letting immigrants do what ever they want and they won't protect even vulnerable children for free of being called racist or pissing off a minority voting block? I know a lot of people get off calling others racist and some people invest a lot of self-worth into the idea that they are the tolerant ones that need to shun the intolerant ones. This just seems like institutionalized insanity though. Someone please tell me it isn't that bad.

Ragnahar never be deterred from stopping evil because some losers will call you racist!
This was not the only case in the UK. Just the latest in a string of sex crimes hidden by bureaucracy that have been revealed recently.

But yes this particular case is a flaw multiculturalism has if taken to the extremes. The idea that other cultures should be immune to criticism as to not offend them.

EDIT:I hope these cases follows the trend that the Catholic Church rapes took. Like its mentioned in the first article you posted.

EDIT:"The Conservative MP Nicola Blackwood said the committee had heard evidence in private from the Home Office researcher that her 2002 report had been greeted with hostility by South Yorkshire police. She said they had heard evidence that the researcher had been contacted by two officers who threatened to pass her name to the groomers in Rotherham and she had been left in fear of her life."

Ok, not this is sounding more like a conspiracy. That the cops were actively suppressing this rather than just passively ignoring it.

EDIT:"Data to back up the report's findings also went missing from the Risky Business office the weekend after she submitted her report, the researcher told the programme.
The council said last week that it could find no evidence of the alleged raid by council staff on one of their own offices to remove evidence of the extent of the town's sex abuse crisis."

Last edited by Ashendant; 09-09-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM

Elune

Multiculturalism is a misnomer. Culture is more nuanced and fluid. Even in the US culture changes depending on where you are geographically. The US is a nation of immigrants who have been here for less than 300 years. We are different than the nations we immigrated from. There has been strife over these cultural differences in the past. I don't see how giving preferential treatment to a culture someone perceives as unconventional is open minded or is any more multicultural than simply letting culture do its own thing. There is no more diversity between California and Mexico than there is between California and Texas.

That isn't what this is though. This is snobbery about people wanting to look down on others for not appreciating a specific culture that is not their own. They hated this boogeyman they believe in so bad that they didn't want to give them any ammunition by prosecuting criminals because of their race and how the boogeyman would perceive it. I just wonder how many law enforcement institutions are like this. Would they not protect me because I am white if an Asian man was beating me up to avoid any potential accusations of racism?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Elune

The more I think about things, the more I've come to realize that we're rehashing the 1980s.

And to be fair, the Brits have been covering up sex abuse for their rich, white ruling class since the 1980s.

Down with the 1%!

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I don't see how giving preferential treatment to a culture someone

There is no more diversity between California and Mexico than there is between California and Texas.

This is snobbery about people wanting to look down on others for not appreciating a specific culture that is not their own.

Would they not protect me because I am white if an Asian man was beating me up to avoid any potential accusations of racism?
What do you see as preferential treatment?

This is untrue.

Where are you getting this from?

What would even make you think this is a concern?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post

This is untrue.

Me thinks she is referring to a story where rape and other like things were ignored because it was being committed by Pakistanis against white women, or something. Pretty sure that is the really simplified version of it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 AM

Elune

Quote:

This is untrue.

Look at my three links from the previous post.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:53 AM

Eternal

Is this supposed to be a feminism thread? Or just another span thread.

If so why do people consider the HIMYM author Carter Bays being a secret sexist manchild with a low opinion of women. Is there a sexist discourse here? I probably think so, especially with Tracy being minimized for Robin in the original ending(AKA hot women having more importance than inner beauty) but the thing is A LOT of media is sexist or has this same discourse, what makes him unspeakably evil in response? Especially compared to Stephanie Meyer. I am not forgiving him anytime soon but this is absurd and frankly the alternate ending actually fixed some of this sexist undertones with the authors poking fun at their own bad writing. And please stop trying to rationalize or minimize Craig Thomas role in the ending when it is more clear they both planned this from day 1.

The original finale is horrible imo, but if there was a plan to denigrate woman than it could have happened MUCH earlier. It was unintentional imo and the authors simply did not know what they are getting into.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 09-10-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Me thinks she is referring to a story where rape and other like things were ignored because it was being committed by Pakistanis against white women, or something. Pretty sure that is the really simplified version of it.
Wow that's really awful.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Elune

Quote:
Wow that's really awful.
Sorry I seem so angry and upset about it. I just feel like equality means treating everyone the same. The authorities in this situation seemed to turned a blind eye to child rape because they didn't want to be accused of racism or offend a minority voting block. People being afraid to confront evil because it was done by a cultural or race that was different than their own. Apparently a lot of them were also blaming the victim....

I am just curious if this was isolated to this one instance. How many justice systems are afraid of penalizing people simply because they come from a different culture? There are a lot of cultures in the Middle East and Africa that treat women like cattle. That shouldn't mean if someone immigrants from those places that we offer them more lenience or the benefit of the doubt than the average citizen.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 09-10-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Sorry I seem so angry and upset about it. I just feel like equality means treating everyone the same. The authorities in this situation seemed to turned a blind eye to child rape because they didn't want to be accused of racism or offend a minority voting block. People being afraid to confront evil because it was done by a cultural or race that was different than their own. Apparently a lot of them were also blaming the victim....

I am just curious if this was isolated to this one instance. How many justice systems are afraid of penalizing people simply because they come from a different culture? There are a lot of cultures in the Middle East and Africa that treat women like cattle. That shouldn't mean if someone immigrants from those places that we offer them more lenience or the benefit of the doubt than the average citizen.
One of the biggest enemies to equality is white guilt.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Grovel to me!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/postev...ed/?tid=pm_pop

ISIS tried to offer a 14 year old as a sex slave to some overweight 50 year old. He would beat her and try to rape her.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:

Yeah, both culture and sanity should not be the reason of violent crimes.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Yeah, both culture and sanity should not be the reason of violent crimes.
Slowpoke is an immigrant(I think?) and he doesn't expect to get away with breaking the law!
Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Slowpoke is an immigrant(I think?) and he doesn't expect to get away with breaking the law!
No, he doesn't expect it.. He is smart about it. He studies serial killers, so when he decides to go dark for 4 or 5 years, reform his life, and then the actresses start showing up in the middle of busy streets, skinned and hanging upside down from street lights like some sort of roasted duck, he can get away with it.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
What law?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Funnily enough, the biggest problem in the world caused by white guilt is Israel.

1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.

Quote:
Old 09-10-2014, 07:05 PM

Poor Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Funnily enough, the biggest problem in the world caused by white guilt is Israel.
Damn whites, they're terrible people Milly.

Tags
feminism, poisoned well, serious business