Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Just started reading the book. Pretty nice stuff, though I may have spoiled myself on a little tidbit. I think I'll check more of this writer's stuff after I'm done/get the time, Cthulhu rest his soul.
Lord of Light is also lots of fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:07 PM

World Builder

I haven't read Miss Peregrine's book or seen the movie but this is a bit disappointing if true, can anyone comment on whether they actually removed all the jewish references about the main character and his grandfather from the movie?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 AM

World Builder

Well shit.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I just got finished re reading all of the Honorverse books, and read Unremembered Empire for 30k.

Guilliman's mom makes the Night Haunter so salty.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 PM

World Builder

Tangential to what's going on in the US atm.
Quote:
The novel tackles the ideas of identity, whether the ends justify the means and the extremely grey line between good and evil. If you’re pretending to be a Nazi during the war to help the allies, are your actions excusable or are you just a Nazi?
http://cracked.tumblr.com/post/15353...-so-we-must-be

My Worldbuilding:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Elune

I've been trying to get into sci-fi for a long while and I just can't seem to succeed. I read Old Man's War and I was disappointed as it contained just about everything I don't like about the genre. Meaningless technological babble that drags on, very black and white conflict, and alien races that feel very random and lack any substance. The ''characters'' had the same voice, with some introduced for two pages only to have it mentioned they were killed in some random battle in the next page. Juvenile writing with characters having sex every dozen pages, and unnecessary large usage of ''fuck, shit, asshole''. First half felt like reading about a geriatric clinic and the second was a cliche war setting that has no meaning because I didn't care about anyone or what was happening, nor was I given any reason to do, it just happened.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:23 AM

Owl Scout

How about "Atlas Shrugged"?
Yesterday I've just started
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I've been trying to get into sci-fi for a long while and I just can't seem to succeed. I read Old Man's War and I was disappointed as it contained just about everything I don't like about the genre. Meaningless technological babble that drags on, very black and white conflict, and alien races that feel very random and lack any substance. The ''characters'' had the same voice, with some introduced for two pages only to have it mentioned they were killed in some random battle in the next page. Juvenile writing with characters having sex every dozen pages, and unnecessary large usage of ''fuck, shit, asshole''. First half felt like reading about a geriatric clinic and the second was a cliche war setting that has no meaning because I didn't care about anyone or what was happening, nor was I given any reason to do, it just happened.
Joe Haldeman's The Forever War is a much better book than Old Man's War (and I think Scalzi would agree with me). It does go a lot into the tech, but it helps that Haldeman has a BA in physics. He's also an actual combat veteran.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

C. S. Lewis' Narnia too Christian for you? Looking for something a bit more modern, perhaps, a bit more realistic? More mature?

Try Lev Grossman's Magicians Trilogy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Finished Dune Messiah and C.G. Jung's The Undiscovered Self. Now moving onto the last series of the Witcher books, The Once and Future King, an anthology of Hellboy stories and a few other fantasy/sci-fi novels.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Elune

I recently read Conversations with Stalin, by Milovan Djilas. Djilas was a Yugoslavian communist partisan during WW2, and later became the vice president of Yugoslavia. The book details how Yugoslavia attempted to get help from the Soviets after WW2, only to be used to Stalin's own ends.

Djilas eventually fell on the wrong side of Tito, and wrote this book (and many others) in prison. It was a good read, and quite short; I finished it in three days.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 09-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Elune

I'm about halfway through Surrender or Starve, by Robert D Kaplan. He wrote this in 1988, and used it as a platform to criticize the careless media coverage and aid dispensation during the Ethiopian famine. Essentially, he argues that the famine was not the result of a drought (indeed, the famine predated the drought), but instead used as a deliberate weapon of war by then-communist Ethiopian government (the Derg). Aid send to Ethiopia was diverted or misused so as to starve the rebellious southern and northern provinces into submission. The drought was real, but used as an excuse by the Derg to cover their deliberate starvation of the opposition.

It was a weird situation, since the Ethiopian Empire had been an American ally. When Mengistu took over, the ruling Derg switched to the Soviet Union, despite there already being some nominally Marxist non-Derg groups. The civil war there was actually quite big: as in, tanks and jet fighters big. Ethiopia already had thousands of years of administration and governance, so they had a lot of experience in organizing large numbers of people, more than most of their neighbors.

At times, Kaplan's description of the anti-Derg EPLF (Eritrean People's Liberation Front) feels a little too glowing to be entirely believable. It does seem like the EPLF held themselves to pretty high standards so far as guerrilla groups go, but I'm still a bit wary. Still, they apparently did maintain an operational underground hospital despite being in some of the most difficult situations imaginable, so that is impressive.

Historically, the policies of Mengistu were similar to those of Emperor Haile Selaisse (whom Mengistu deposed, arrested, and possibly killed). The Amharic leadership of Addis Ababa did what they could to oppress and control Oromos, Tigreans, and other groups. Some of the Tigreans willingly helped the Italian fascist troops since they were so angry about how the Ethiopian Empire had treated them. As usual, history matters more than current leadership.

It's interesting that Eritrea has become such an isolated country. Kaplan actually points this out, by saying the Tigreans and Tigrinya of Eritrea had typically seen themselves as isolated both from their neighbors and from the outside world. Now that the two are separate countries, Ethiopia is actually doing somewhat better (some pundits have called Eritrea the North Korea of Africa, though I don't think that's quite fair to Eritrea—then again, Afwerki's regime is known to have Eritrean agents keeping an eye on Eritrean expatriate communities in the US and elsewhere).

I'm also reading The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, which is a good culmination for the Mistborn Trilogy. So far, it's a bit more propulsive than the earlier books.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 AM

Arch-Druid

Loved the original Mistborn Trilogy. The sequel series in the quasi-Western setting was pretty good too, but it lacked the power of the original.

In my opinion however, Sanderson's true masterpiece is the Stormlight Archive series. I do not know why, but the moment I laid eyes on the book I knew it was going to be epic. And it was. It was (and is) a master work of world building with fantastic characters and a great setting. The planet Roshar reminded me of Morrowind in fact. The only criticism I have is that Sanderson sucks at writing "witty banter" and he puts a lot of it in the second book. But that's minor.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:35 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Been meaning to get back into this series. I think I got like half way through the first book before I got distracted by other stuff.

Flintlock fantasy with some French revolution influence. A musket wielding field marshal of a caste of magic marksmen that snort gunpowder like coke for superpowers and control where bullets go stages a coup against the king and his more traditional court mages. Shenanigans ensue, the old gods return and go apeshit, etc.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 11-15-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Old 11-15-2017, 07:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I got my copy of The Night Watch today from thriftbooks. Hopefully it's good, I got it for my entertainment and for my online book club.

Tags
literature, realspace