Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliya View Post
The closest Trader Joe's to me is in Las Vegas.... which is about a 6 hour drive south. And those spices sound good, too. Think if I asked nice, they'd mail it to me?
It's worth the drive. But I'm betting that you could contact them and sell it like you don't want to drive that far and add to the polluted atmosphere and they'd hook you up.


Also, Tai Chicken Pizza:


Quote:
1 cup chicken, cubed
1 jar peanut satay sauce
1 package pizza dough
1/2 cup shredded carrots
2 tbsp unsalted peanuts, copped
4 green onions cut length wise
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Preheat your oven to 425°. Combine chicken and a 1/2 jar of the satay sauce and place in fridge. While the chicken chills, take out pizza dough and allow it to rise for 45 minutes to an hour. Begin to shape the dough by lightly dusting a flat surface with flour, form the dough into a ball, and begin to push from the center out. When the dough is in a rough circular shape, spread the remaining satay sauce on top of the dough. Sprinkle the mozzarella over the sauce and layer the marinated chicken on top of that. Complete by sprinkling with the shredded carrots, green onions and peanuts. Place carefully into the oven (if you have a pizza stone, all the better, otherwise a baking sheet will do just fine). Bake for 10 - 15 min until the cheese bubbles and the crust turns golden brown. Enjoy!

Serves: 2 - 4
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 Minutes
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,086
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm going to share with you my shrimp etouffe recipe. It's sublime and every time I've made it I've gotten laid. I'm not going to provide precise measurements mostly because I've been making this for years to the point where I can eyeball it, so fuck you.


First, prepare a spice mixture of roughly equal portions of thyme, garlic, sage, basil, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. You're going to be using this a lot, and it's also a great idea to keep some around in case you like making cajun or creole food.


Next, shell some shrimp. Take the shells and put them in a pot of boiling water along with a slice or two of lemon, some sprigs of rosemary, liberal helpings of the spice mixture and tabasco sauce to taste. Let it boil for two to three hours to make a big ol' pot of delicious cajun shrimp broth.

Next, you're going to want to make a puree of a few celery stalks, one or two bell peppers, a whole onion, parsley, three garlic cloves and either a can of tomato paste or three or four tomatos along with some worcestershire sauce while adding plenty of that delicious cajun spice mixture. You should have a nice, even, runny greenish-brownish mixture.

Pour that stuff into a cast iron skillet on a low simmer and start whisking in some flour to make a nice roux that should have the consistency of a good beef gravy. Add the raw shrimp and pour in a few cups of the shrimp broth and let it simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or so, adding hot sauce and/or spice mixture at your discretion.

Next, take some long grain rice and steam that shit with some cups of shrimp broth. When it's nice, puffy and shrimpy, ladle that shrimp-and-roux mixture over a plate of rice and serve with french bread.
Have you ever tried cooking the rice with butter (and salt if necessary) alongside the broth?
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
handclaw handclaw is offline


handclaw's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,338

Default

A little ice cream suggestion, which is more than simple, but something you guys really must try out:

Vanilla Ice Cream with Pumpkin Seed Oil

Seriously.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:05 AM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm going to share with you my shrimp etouffe recipe. It's sublime and every time I've made it I've gotten laid. I'm not going to provide precise measurements mostly because I've been making this for years to the point where I can eyeball it, so fuck you.


First, prepare a spice mixture of roughly equal portions of thyme, garlic, sage, basil, paprika, cayenne and black pepper. You're going to be using this a lot, and it's also a great idea to keep some around in case you like making cajun or creole food.


Next, shell some shrimp. Take the shells and put them in a pot of boiling water along with a slice or two of lemon, some sprigs of rosemary, liberal helpings of the spice mixture and tabasco sauce to taste. Let it boil for two to three hours to make a big ol' pot of delicious cajun shrimp broth.

Next, you're going to want to make a puree of a few celery stalks, one or two bell peppers, a whole onion, parsley, three garlic cloves and either a can of tomato paste or three or four tomatos along with some worcestershire sauce while adding plenty of that delicious cajun spice mixture. You should have a nice, even, runny greenish-brownish mixture.

Pour that stuff into a cast iron skillet on a low simmer and start whisking in some flour to make a nice roux that should have the consistency of a good beef gravy. Add the raw shrimp and pour in a few cups of the shrimp broth and let it simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or so, adding hot sauce and/or spice mixture at your discretion.

Next, take some long grain rice and steam that shit with some cups of shrimp broth. When it's nice, puffy and shrimpy, ladle that shrimp-and-roux mixture over a plate of rice and serve with french bread.
That sounds incredible. I'mma have to try my hand at making it sometime.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,376
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Have you ever tried cooking the rice with butter (and salt if necessary) alongside the broth?
The rice itself is mostly there to hold the roux. You dont want to overflavor it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Vil'rexin Vil'rexin is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,491

Default

Anyone else eat Grits? If you do and even know what I'm talking about, I'd recommend mixing it with some butter and tabasco sauce.
__________________
“Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette - the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace.” - John Tyler
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Saranus Saranus is offline

Elune
Saranus's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 5,577
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

Default

Grits are da bomb. Southern men, represent! sometimes I crack an egg into them, sometimes Gouda, Gruyere or marscapone cheese, sometimes honey or maple syrup, sometimes all of the above. I'll have to try some hot sauce, though I'm partial to Chalua and this Jamaican stuff called Scotch Bonnet.
__________________
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I know of grits but have never actually eaten them.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,376
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I always just thought that grits were a less pretentious version of farina, is there truth to that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Iliya Iliya is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Iliya's Avatar
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 668
BattleTag: IliyaM#1840

Default

The only Grits I am aware of is the movie True Grit with Jeff Bridges. Other than that, nothing. Care to elaborate?
__________________
"Come on up on Santa's lap, here's a wet one. And what's your name little boy? And what do you want for Christmas, Billy? A toy truck? Get him off my lap and get my a towel."

I am Dallanna Stoneweaver, Destroyer of Threads, Logic, and Lawns.

Tip for writers: The "Rule of Cool" does not a good story make!

Dorf R 4 Fite!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
Vil'rexin Vil'rexin is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,491

Default

Grits is ground corn essentially and usually you mix it butter, salt or both MOST of the time. I prefer pepper and tabasco in mine, sometimes with a little egg yolk in it maybe.
__________________
“Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette - the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace.” - John Tyler
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-11-2011, 04:15 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
Anyone else eat Grits? If you do and even know what I'm talking about, I'd recommend mixing it with some butter and tabasco sauce.
There's another way to eat them?

The only thing I really have to offer from a "recipe" is creamed chipped beef.

6oz chipped beef, cut up into small postage stamp or smaller chunks.
4 tbsp butter (unsalted)
1 qt milk (I use 2%)
5 tbsp flour
fresh ground pepper

Brown the beef in a pan with the butter, add flour, add milk slowly along with pepper for seasoning. Stir until thickened, add more milk to thin it or more flour to thicken as necessary. Serve over toast.

Any of you southern boys have a really good home made BBQ recipe? MY new obsession is making BBQ sauce.
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:35 AM
Ded Chikn Ded Chikn is offline

Elune
Ded Chikn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Baltimore, Marylan- *gunshot*
Posts: 6,315
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default

Going to bump this and ask if anyone knows how to prepare a Spaghetti Squash? Well, I know how to prepare one, but does anyone have any interesting suggestions for flavoring and seasoning it?

I'm buying one new vegetable a week and learning to cook it.
__________________
"Make work your favorite. That's your new favorite."
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,898

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
Going to bump this and ask if anyone knows how to prepare a Spaghetti Squash? Well, I know how to prepare one, but does anyone have any interesting suggestions for flavoring and seasoning it?

I'm buying one new vegetable a week and learning to cook it.
Step 1: Marry a woman that knows how to cook.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,446

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Step 1: Marry a woman that knows how to cook.
Learning how to cook works out better.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,376
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Step 1: Marry a woman that knows how to cook.
A man who marries a woman who knows how to cook dinner.

A man who knows how to cook who marries a woman who doesn't gets blowjobs on demand.

You tell me which is better.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,898

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
A man who marries a woman who knows how to cook dinner.

A man who knows how to cook who marries a woman who doesn't gets blowjobs on demand.

You tell me which is better.
Option C.

Sadly enough for the rest of you, Bolvar already married the woman that does both.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Stackattack Stackattack is offline

Arch-Druid
Stackattack's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,826

Default

cooking is awesome. i cook all sorta interesting stuff. chicken, potatoes, rice, veal, beef... i'm pretty awesome at that (modesty aside). chicks dig that stuff honestly, atleast 20ish - 30ish year olds. AND, i really enjoy it, almost as much as eating it.
__________________
"Today Hellscream shall learn the lesson that Thrall failed to teach him...
Stormwind will never fall!"
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Vil'rexin Vil'rexin is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,491

Default

Being able to cook for yourself makes me you more independent and not having to rely on fast food or microwave dinners does wonders for your health in the long term. Not to mention the bonus points you get for cooking a romantic meal.
__________________
“Popularity, I have always thought, may aptly be compared to a coquette - the more you woo her, the more apt is she to elude your embrace.” - John Tyler
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,086
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Cooking is art and science rolled into one, how can people not enjoy it?

Plus, for all those people who wanted to be mad scientists as kids, you can do wacky experiments that usually turn out pretty damn good. *Looks at personal recipes, cackles crazily*
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,376
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Cooking is art and science rolled into one, how can people not enjoy it?

Plus, for all those people who wanted to be mad scientists as kids, you can do wacky experiments that usually turn out pretty damn good. *Looks at personal recipes, cackles crazily*
Eh. I know a guy who blew his thumbs off doing molecular gastronomy in his 5th story studio walkup, and he was then arrested for potential terrorist activities.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Wabbajack Wabbajack is offline

Arch-Druid
Wabbajack's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,273

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Cooking is just a means to an end.
I can cook, but I won't do it unless I have to or crave some specific food really bad. Or sometimes to help out my mother.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Reyson Reyson is offline

Arch-Druid
Reyson's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,174

Default

Cooking annoys me. You have to start it before you get hungry because it takes so long to do. By the time I finish cooking I've either eaten something else in the meanwhile or rushed it and gotten sick after(burned/ not cooked enough). It feels like such a waste of time to cook for an hour and eat it in like 15minutes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 08-16-2011, 06:11 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I love cooking. Its great fun. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that there are maybe five things on this planet that I think don't taste worse refrigerated than freshly made I'd just cook for fun and wind up not eating a lot of the stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I just got from a cooking class, and I had the best damn sandwich I've had in my life. Sadly, it was completely unrelated to the class its (it was a canning class, so the Chef decided to just make us some sandwiches because we were all hungry)
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
'muricans hate mayo, food, food porn, realspace, wololo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.