Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
How about City on the Edge of Forever, widely considered one of the best Star Trek episodes ever?
Ah, I didn't know he'd written that one (I knew he was responsible for the one with the floating city). The Star Trek writers apparently changed a great deal of the script.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
That was the impression of Galeano that I got. I try to sometimes read accounts from people with viewpoints contrary to my own (but I'll admit I only occasionally have the patience for this).

EDIT: Contrary in that Galeano's part of the far left, while I'm centrist (left in some areas, right in others). I agree with him that Latin America has frequently been exploited (which is historical fact), though as you say the truth is more nuanced.
Yeah. No one can deny Latin America has been exploited.

I've finally ended Shadows of the Horde (best Warcraft novel since The Last Guardian; PERFECT and so different to Golden and Knaak style, you almost feel its freshness).

Now, I started reading At a Crab's Pace by Umberto Eco. Truly interesting Love his writing style. It's a compilation of articles by the author that deal with Western humanity "devolving" in certain areas: minorities, religion, technology, etc. Really interesting.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Yeah. No one can deny Latin America has been exploited.

I've finally ended Shadows of the Horde (best Warcraft novel since The Last Guardian; PERFECT and so different to Golden and Knaak style, you almost feel its freshness).

Now, I started reading At a Crab's Pace by Umberto Eco. Truly interesting Love his writing style. It's a compilation of articles by the author that deal with Western humanity "devolving" in certain areas: minorities, religion, technology, etc. Really interesting.
I feel so guilty that I've never read Eco's The Name of the Rose, even though I love the movie.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 01-02-2014, 04:42 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
I feel so guilty that I've never read Eco's The Name of the Rose, even though I love the movie.
It's an amazing, really amazing book. I encourage you to read it

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know he'd written that one (I knew he was responsible for the one with the floating city). The Star Trek writers apparently changed a great deal of the script.
He didn't write Cloud Minders(I think that's the one with the floating city). Margaret Armen and David Gerrold were responsible for that.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDimus the Staunch View Post
He didn't write Cloud Minders(I think that's the one with the floating city). Margaret Armen and David Gerrold were responsible for that.
Oh, okay. I must have gotten them mixed up.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Been reading Perdido Street Station lately and reinvigorating my love for China Mieville.

Last edited by Porimlys; 02-06-2014 at 02:18 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DrRobert#1475

I'm reading The Road by McCarthy. Damn this shit is bleak. Beautiful, but bleak.

Quote:
He knew only that the child was his warrant. He said: If he is not the word of God God never spoke
Now imagine a music, dear readers, heavy with cellos at a rapid staccato. Cellos held between thighs in a dark room. The little room of Harry's chest as he walks with his teammates to the opening gate of his first Test of Cribbage. They are a rag-tag group of champions, this bunch, and with Harry, the near-perfect new god, they know they will dominate the day. Harry is a world laced with rivers of wizardly blood. He is ready.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
Been reading Perdido Street Station lately and reinvigorating my love for China Mieville.
I really need to check out some of his work.

I just started Henry James' Washington Square.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:30 PM

Eternal

You know i realized i've never read any star trek novels. Any idea on which is the best one?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Eternal

I'm gonna sound like a prick, but I've been reading a collection of plays by David Ives. Actually directing one of his works, called Philip Glass buys a loaf of bread.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
I'm gonna sound like a prick, but I've been reading a collection of plays by David Ives. Actually directing one of his works, called Philip Glass buys a loaf of bread.
Like a school production? That's really cool!

Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Like a school production? That's really cool!
Thanks! After that, the plan's to write and direct an original for a local one act festival.

Working title? Assholes!: The play.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Thanks! After that, the plan's to write and direct an original for a local one act festival.

Working title? Assholes!: The play.
Ah, so you're bringing Scrolls of Lore to the stage? Bravo!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:22 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Ah, so you're bringing Scrolls of Lore to the stage? Bravo!
Actually, that could work pretty well. Get like, 4-5 people on the edge of the stage typing away in the shadows, with their avatars interacting in the middle of the stage. Then, the lights would shift to one of the types, and we'd gain insight into them as a person, and not just as an online persona. Maybe have it explore who we are vs. how we present ourself, how the internet changes relationships, and how stupid it was for Zul'jin to die the way he did.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

I am currently reading A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce. Cool concept but awful execution. I hate his writing style. The Irish politics is fascinating, however, and I wish the story focused on that, rather than being semi-biographical.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I've been reading Chekhov's short stories for a class. Liking them pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 PM

Eternal

Wuthering Heights

Because School.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 02-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Actually, that could work pretty well. Get like, 4-5 people on the edge of the stage typing away in the shadows, with their avatars interacting in the middle of the stage. Then, the lights would shift to one of the types, and we'd gain insight into them as a person, and not just as an online persona. Maybe have it explore who we are vs. how we present ourself, how the internet changes relationships, and how stupid it was for Zul'jin to die the way he did.
I'm actually intrigued now.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
You know i realized i've never read any star trek novels. Any idea on which is the best one?
Star Trek novels aren't canon.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

Quote:
—That was a good answer our friend made to the canon. What? said Mr Dedalus.
—I didn't think he had that much in him, said Mr Casey.
—I'LL PAY YOUR DUES, FATHER, WHEN YOU CEASE TURNING THE HOUSE OF GOD INTO A POLLING-BOOTH.
—A nice answer, said Dante, for any man calling himself a catholic to give to his priest.
—They have only themselves to blame, said Mr Dedalus suavely. If they took a fool's advice they would confine their attention to religion.
—It is religion, Dante said. They are doing their duty in warning the people.
—We go to the house of God, Mr Casey said, in all humility to pray to our Maker and not to hear election addresses.
—It is religion, Dante said again. They are right. They must direct their flocks.
—And preach politics from the altar, is it? asked Mr Dedalus.
—Certainly, said Dante. It is a question of public morality. A priest would not be a priest if he did not tell his flock what is right and what is wrong.
Quote:
Dante turned on her and said:
—And am I to sit here and listen to the pastors of my church being flouted?
—Nobody is saying a word against them, said Mr Dedalus, so long as they don't meddle in politics.
—The bishops and priests of Ireland have spoken, said Dante, and they must be obeyed.
—Let them leave politics alone, said Mr Casey, or the people may leave their church alone.
—You hear? said Dante, turning to Mrs Dedalus.
—Mr Casey! Simon! said Mrs Dedalus, let it end now.
—Too bad! Too bad! said uncle Charles.
—What? cried Mr Dedalus. Were we to desert him at the bidding of the English people?
—He was no longer worthy to lead, said Dante. He was a public sinner.
—We are all sinners and black sinners, said Mr Casey coldly.
—WOE BE TO THE MAN BY WHOM THE SCANDAL COMETH! said Mrs Riordan. IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR HIM THAT A MILLSTONE WERE TIED ABOUT HIS NECK AND THAT HE WERE CAST INTO THE DEPTHS OF THE SEA RATHER THAN THAT HE SHOULD SCANDALIZE ONE OF THESE, MY LEAST LITTLE ONES. That is the language of the Holy Ghost.
—And very bad language if you ask me, said Mr Dedalus coolly.
Quote:
—There could be neither luck nor grace, Dante said, in a house where there is no respect for the pastors of the church.
Mr Dedalus threw his knife and fork noisily on his plate.
—Respect! he said. Is it for Billy with the lip or for the tub of guts up in Armagh? Respect!
—Princes of the church, said Mr Casey with slow scorn.
—Lord Leitrim's coachman, yes, said Mr Dedalus.
—They are the Lord's anointed, Dante said. They are an honour to their country.
—Tub of guts, said Mr Dedalus coarsely. He has a handsome face, mind you, in repose. You should see that fellow lapping up his bacon and cabbage of a cold winter's day. O Johnny!
He twisted his features into a grimace of heavy bestiality and made a lapping noise with his lips.
—Really, Simon, you should not speak that way before Stephen. It's not right.
—O, he'll remember all this when he grows up, said Dante hotly—the language he heard against God and religion and priests in his own home.
—Let him remember too, cried Mr Casey to her from across the table, the language with which the priests and the priests' pawns broke Parnell's heart and hounded him into his grave. Let him remember that too when he grows up.
—Sons of bitches! cried Mr Dedalus. When he was down they turned on him to betray him and rend him like rats in a sewer. Low-lived dogs! And they look it! By Christ, they look it!
—They behaved rightly, cried Dante. They obeyed their bishops and their priests. Honour to them!
—Well, it is perfectly dreadful to say that not even for one day in the year, said Mrs Dedalus, can we be free from these dreadful disputes!
Uncle Charles raised his hands mildly and said:
—Come now, come now, come now! Can we not have our opinions whatever they are without this bad temper and this bad language? It is too bad surely.
Mrs Dedalus spoke to Dante in a low voice but Dante said loudly:
—I will not say nothing. I will defend my church and my religion when it is insulted and spit on by renegade catholics.
Mr Casey pushed his plate rudely into the middle of the table and, resting his elbows before him, said in a hoarse voice to his host:
—Tell me, did I tell you that story about a very famous spit?
—You did not, John, said Mr Dedalus.
—Why then, said Mr Casey, it is a most instructive story. It happened not long ago in the county Wicklow where we are now.
He broke off and, turning towards Dante, said with quiet indignation:
—And I may tell you, ma'am, that I, if you mean me, am no renegade catholic. I am a catholic as my father was and his father before him and his father before him again, when we gave up our lives rather than sell our faith.
—The more shame to you now, Dante said, to speak as you do.
—The story, John, said Mr Dedalus smiling. Let us have the story anyhow.
—Catholic indeed! repeated Dante ironically. The blackest protestant in the land would not speak the language I have heard this evening.
Mr Dedalus began to sway his head to and fro, crooning like a country singer.
—I am no protestant, I tell you again, said Mr Casey, flushing.
Quote:
Mr Dedalus gave a snort of contempt.
—Ah, John, he said. It is true for them. We are an unfortunate priest-ridden race and always were and always will be till the end of the chapter.
Uncle Charles shook his head, saying:
—A bad business! A bad business!
Mr Dedalus repeated:
—A priest-ridden Godforsaken race!
He pointed to the portrait of his grandfather on the wall to his right.
—Do you see that old chap up there, John? he said. He was a good Irishman when there was no money in the job. He was condemned to death as a whiteboy. But he had a saying about our clerical friends, that he would never let one of them put his two feet under his mahogany.
Dante broke in angrily:
—If we are a priest-ridden race we ought to be proud of it! They are the apple of God's eye. TOUCH THEM NOT, says Christ, FOR THEY ARE THE APPLE OF MY EYE.
—And can we not love our country then? asked Mr Casey. Are we not to follow the man that was born to lead us?
—A traitor to his country! replied Dante. A traitor, an adulterer! The priests were right to abandon him. The priests were always the true friends of Ireland.
—Were they, faith? said Mr Casey.
He threw his fist on the table and, frowning angrily, protruded one finger after another.
—Didn't the bishops of Ireland betray us in the time of the union when Bishop Lanigan presented an address of loyalty to the Marquess Cornwallis? Didn't the bishops and priests sell the aspirations of their country in 1829 in return for catholic emancipation? Didn't they denounce the fenian movement from the pulpit and in the confession box? And didn't they dishonour the ashes of Terence Bellew MacManus?
His face was glowing with anger and Stephen felt the glow rise to his own cheek as the spoken words thrilled him. Mr Dedalus uttered a guffaw of coarse scorn.
—O, by God, he cried, I forgot little old Paul Cullen! Another apple of God's eye!
Dante bent across the table and cried to Mr Casey:
—Right! Right! They were always right! God and morality and religion come first.
Mrs Dedalus, seeing her excitement, said to her:
—Mrs Riordan, don't excite yourself answering them.
—God and religion before everything! Dante cried. God and religion before the world.
Mr Casey raised his clenched fist and brought it down on the table with a crash.
—Very well then, he shouted hoarsely, if it comes to that, no God for Ireland!
—John! John! cried Mr Dedalus, seizing his guest by the coat sleeve.
Dante stared across the table, her cheeks shaking. Mr Casey struggled up from his chair and bent across the table towards her, scraping the air from before his eyes with one hand as though he were tearing aside a cobweb.
—No God for Ireland! he cried. We have had too much God In Ireland. Away with God!
—Blasphemer! Devil! screamed Dante, starting to her feet and almost spitting in his face.
Uncle Charles and Mr Dedalus pulled Mr Casey back into his chair again, talking to him from both sides reasonably. He stared before him out of his dark flaming eyes, repeating:
—Away with God, I say!
Dante shoved her chair violently aside and left the table, upsetting her napkin-ring which rolled slowly along the carpet and came to rest against the foot of an easy-chair. Mrs Dedalus rose quickly and followed her towards the door. At the door Dante turned round violently and shouted down the room, her cheeks flushed and quivering with rage:
—Devil out of hell! We won! We crushed him to death! Fiend!
The door slammed behind her.
Mr Casey, freeing his arms from his holders, suddenly bowed his head on his hands with a sob of pain.
—Poor Parnell! he cried loudly. My dead king!
He sobbed loudly and bitterly.
Stephen, raising his terror-stricken face, saw that his father's eyes were full of tears.
See, this here is all really bloody interesting. Forget following Stephen's journey through adolescence and becoming an artist, I want to read more about the Irish politics of the time and opinions on the Catholic Church, the Protestants, the IRB and Fenans, and the Parnell scandal. Would be a far more interesting book if it covered that topic.
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Shut up your nipples are useless.
I'm a bit slow, but it's awesome.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
and how stupid it was for Zul'jin to die the way he did.
Have you read The Watchmen graphic novels?

Zul'jin dies like Nite Owl I. Too old for the modern world, and swarmed by a group of empty-headed punks because they were stupid and didn't really know who he was and probably wouldn't have cared if they did.

That's why I'm okay with it.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 02-07-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Currently reading Storm of Light which is may i say amazing.. It actually makes Jacob legit and gives us the story that apparently he was meant to have but they could not make since the Diablo comic became a short graphic novel. Plus it has Zayn in it and JesseCox was quite correct with it feeling very much like Diablo Avengers lead by Tyrael.

A book i have come across that i need to buy is The Child Prince.

Bellomi Dragonmanovich, Prince of Windamere, is a twenty-one year old cursed into the body of a perpetual eight year old.In order to regain his lost throne, prince and Artifactor know that breaking the curse won't be enough. It will take a coup and more than just a little magic.

Seems like a fun read .

Run
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Have you read The Watchmen graphic novels?

Zul'jin dies like Nite Owl I. Too old for the modern world, and swarmed by a group of empty-headed punks because they were stupid and didn't really know who he was and probably wouldn't have cared if they did.

That's why I'm okay with it.
Ok, so if they play it like that, cool. But as it stands he's presented as a credible force to be reckoned with that gets smacked down by a treasure hunter. It's like if Booster Gold or the Teen Titans took out Batman.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:25 AM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
I really need to check out some of his work.
[/I].
You really do!

Perdido Street Station would be a great place to start. I finished it the other night and loved it! Then read Railsea!

Tags
literature, realspace