Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Pick a game that's similar to the kind of single-player RPG you envision.
Mass Effect (real-time, over-the-shoulder, high degree of companion significance) 4 25.00%
Dragon Age (real-time, highly variable origin stories, personal customization, silent protagonist) 2 12.50%
Final Fantasy (turn-based, job system, linear, world-threatening narrative) 2 12.50%
SSI Gold Box D&D (turn-based, top-down grid, silent protagonists) 0 0%
Baldur's Gate (turn-based, party management) 2 12.50%
Something else (and be specific) 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2016, 07:13 PM

Eternal

Default What does a single-player Warcraft RPG look like?

Seeing the thread about the good parts of the Warcraft RPG books made me wonder about what an actual single-player RPG would be like. I think there's value in having a game that just gives you a world to run around in and doesn't really care about the specifics of your character, but it feels like the games making the biggest splash these days are the ones that give you a character that's got a few dials you can tweak (Hawke, Shepard, Geralt) but generally has a personality of his/her own and you just drive certain interactions in order to add flavor to the story.

Elsewhere in the spectrum you've got games that don't really give you choices about how the character interacts with the story, but gives you greater variability in the gameplay. Final Fantasy is notorious for this.

And even more, you've got a lot of the D&D adaptations that have come up, where the character is really mostly inconsequential but has a very wide spread of character options for not only your own character but your party members as well.

It's hard to pick just one version of a single-player RPG to build for this, but a lot of these things are mutually exclusive.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 06-26-2016 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 PM

World Builder

This is tough because while I would -personally- prefer a Turn Based RPG like FF, I think Dragon Age is closer to the 'spirit' of Blizz.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This is tough because while I would -personally- prefer a Turn Based RPG like FF, I think Dragon Age is closer to the 'spirit' of Blizz.
Even with going the Dragon Age route from a mechanical standpoint, there's the question of how you do the story. Part of my issue in Dragon Age: Origins was that after you got past the various origin stories, the Grey Warden's personality wasn't really involved in the rest of the narrative. Whereas DA2 swung entirely into the Mass Effect realm of giving you a much more fixed character in the form of Hawke at the expense of character customization. The story popped better because Hawke was more of a person than a cipher for the player, but players lamented that Hawke was a fixed race from a fixed background with really only class selection and the dialogue wheel to differentiate him/her.

I haven't played enough of Inquisition yet to get a sense for how well the Inquisitor holds up in comparison to Hawke and the Grey Warden but it's definitely a hard needle to thread.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

It will probably look like a more action oriented version of LotC, with some sort of tacked on multiplayer because that's how Blizzard rolls.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:20 AM

Echo of the Past

At a critical point in the game, the player discovers that he is Sargeras.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:29 AM

Chimaera

I think that a game supporting both classic overhead camera and a third/first-person perspective with high levels of detalization could be interesting. Have a smaller, yet engaging (by any means: a magic-filled detective set in Dalaran to check if people can read at this point? breath-taking post-Third War Kalimdor exploration by the Horde? Troll Wars era Arathor?) story with memorable, properly voiced characters -- and I am in. I don't care if it has to be a 40+ GB blu-ray monster to achieve that or relatively simple in terms of modern graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
At a critical point in the game, the player discovers that he is Sargeras.
Totally, if it has to be a game about Medivh's travels "to the ends of the world; beyound, even". I endorse it.

Last edited by Thornedale; 06-28-2016 at 06:32 AM..
Old 06-28-2016, 06:53 AM

Problemsolver

The Elder Scrolls: Warcraft, anyone?

A first/third person real-time action adventure, with lots of exploration and crafting, and a bunchload of side-quests and what have yous. I'd be all over that shit.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

A first/third person real-time action adventure, with lots of exploration and crafting, and a bunchload of side-quests and what have yous. I'd be all over that shit.
Pretty much. My personal preference is for it to take place mostly in a city, although I have nothing against Kalimdor exploration or Medivh's journeys through lands and plane(t)s.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:14 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:

I don't know if Blizzard has what it takes to develop an immersive gamespace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:

Rather a Gothic: Warcraft game. Very similar, but without a custom character (though I could see picking one of the possible several characters at the start) and with a larger narrative focus.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM

Eternal

I've never been a fan of western RPGs, their style just doesn't click with me. I can't get into games like Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect. That said, a turn-based one doesn't exactly work for Warcraft. I'd say a linear action RPG, something more like modern Final Fantasy games or Kingdom Hearts, would work best. Warcraft is an over-the-top series with exaggerated characters and plots, you want over-the-top gameplay to match.

And while not an RPG, I just realized I'd love a Dynasty Warriors Warcraft.

Last edited by Ratatosk; 06-28-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Among the problems I envision with an open world action RPG is that I can't imagine it looking much different from WoW. Shitty gamescale, theme park areas and grindy mobs.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Shadow of Mordor.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Among the problems I envision with an open world action RPG is that I can't imagine it looking much different from WoW. Shitty gamescale, theme park areas and grindy mobs.
Change perspective, mechanics and change the relative scale by taking a "smaller" lore location (only Barrens/part of Barrens, only kingdom of Azeroth, only Dalaran/Stormwind and their outskirts -- you name it) and having the game set entirely in it. New feel, no theme park.
No idea what kind of engine that is supposed to be, though.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:27 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
Change perspective, mechanics and change the relative scale by taking a "smaller" lore location (only Barrens/part of Barrens, only kingdom of Azeroth, only Dalaran/Stormwind and their outskirts -- you name it) and having the game set entirely in it. New feel, no theme park.
Ideally, yeah, but I don't see it happening. I'm not entirely sure why, but my instincts tell me Blizzard couldn't make a game like that.

On reflection, I suppose it's because they want WoW to be the definitive expression of the world of Warcraft, and if they make an open world RPG with more sophisticated environments and better scaling, that won't be the case anymore.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2016, 11:28 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Ideally, yeah, but I don't see it happening. I'm not entirely sure why, but my instincts tell me Blizzard couldn't make a game like that.

On reflection, I suppose it's because they want WoW to be the definitive expression of the world of Warcraft, and if they make an open world RPG with more sophisticated environments and better scaling, that won't be the case anymore.
Sure. "It's only a model", and a mental one at that. Which doesn't mean I wouldn't like to spend next 5-10 years playing the hell out of a game like this, kind of what I was doing back then with Morrowind and Knights of the Old Republic.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:38 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Open world RPG with heavy BioWare companion elements. I spent all of Draenor waiting for a dialogue wheel with Tormokk...
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post

And while not an RPG, I just realized I'd love a Dynasty Warriors Warcraft.
I actually started writing something up about a "Azeroth Warriors" concept awhile back. I ought to dig that out.

You're right that it's totally not an RPG, but it's certainly a game style Blizzard hasn't tried yet and Warcraft is the franchise it's most suited to.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM

Elune

Dark Souls.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:21 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Dark Souls.
Could you be more specific?

Having avoided Dark Souls (because I don't really need a game to punch me in the dick) I don't really know what it brings to the table (aside from dick-punching).

Old 06-29-2016, 04:24 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post

Having avoided Dark Souls (because I don't really need a game to punch me in the dick) I don't really know what it brings to the table (aside from dick-punching).
The lore is basically hidden from the player. You have to do a lot of digging to really get into the meat of the thing. Sure, there's enough sprinkled throughout to keep you interested, and that's exactly why some players deal with the dick punching.

Take, for instance, the item descriptions. Half of them only discuss the lore behind them, and don't tell you exactly what they do. You, as a beginner, just go using them willy-nilly and, oh look, now there's a hostile player trying to kill you.

Overall, the Dark Souls games are great about keeping you immersed. Players become like archaeologists, having to sort through this and that, uncovering what tidbits they can and collaborating among their peers about their findings.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:16 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Something like Kingdom Hearts or Dragon Age/Mass Effect with a protagonist and allies has been what I've imagined the most.

Other than that I want a fighting game that's similar to either Injustice, BlazBlue, or Killer Instinct. Blizzard does more competitive games nowadays anyway.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post

Hagrid covered it pretty well.

Basically, the game doesn't vomit its lore or even its main story in your face. The difference is that this is done intentionally. The lore, world building, backstory and descriptions of everything are in the game, they are carefully thought out, but they present them in such a way that the player must dig deep and piece them together themselves. It's not an oversight as it is deliberate design. The lore is very carefully woven into the world itself. Every item has at least of paragraph of lore on it (at least in Bloodborne). They don't even do this in a cheap 'collectable item' way either. Everything about the world you can see for yourself, or read about on a useful, practical item (think if the Artifact lore blerbs were on every single piece of gear or spell in the game) or that you can piece things together from dialogue or from looking at the world itself and interpreting it. It's a lot deeper and more thought out than "here's a audio log or piece of paper explaining everything" like The Elder Scrolls does.

For a company like Blizzard whom are excellent world builders but absolutely fucking awful at storytelling I feel it would be an approach that they'd really do well at.

Last edited by Drusus; 06-29-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Old 06-29-2016, 07:22 AM

Glaive Thrower

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Elder Scrolls would had been my suggestion, but a TES inspired game would look like a glorified WoW.

Baldur's Gate or Planetscape:Torment are better models, giving a cross between Warcraft 3 and WoW. Controlling up to 5 characters and pure neutral races for choice (Brown orcs, naga, furbolgs, not-Darkspear-trolls, goblins, murlocs) and lot of classes straight from the RPGs books obviously (Warden, Naga Mutant, Ursa Totemic, Potion Doc, etc).

The setting could be the Isles (Goblins' ones, Zandalar, Plunder Isle, Kul'Tiras, -insert Blizzard filler here-) or other shit that Blizzard seems to avoid using in the main game. It's better to use spinoff games to explore things that the main narrative, for some reason, don't want to exploit.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:07 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
It's a lot deeper and more thought out than "here's a audio log or piece of paper explaining everything" like The Elder Scrolls does.
TES3: Morrowind on steroids, basically.

Tags
fanwank, warcraft