Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Faerie Dragon

Default You have one shot at writing for Blizzard

If you had one, single opportunity to write for Blizzard, knowing that your work would be canon and get, at least partially, published (in a Chronicle volume, or as (part of) a novel, or as a short-story, or as an in-game series of questlines, etc.), what would you write about and why?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:51 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
ONE thing? Hrm...

I'd write something for the Modern era about the Horde races getting their shit together politically and culturally so they're not such an embarrassment anymore and actually have characterization following Blizz dropping all of their plotlines after WoD

Orcs finding themselves, trolls putting their people back together, Tauren getting a spine, Blood elves mingling Fel and Light, Forsaken starting to have non-valkyr rez methods that put them in conflict with Sylv, The Huojin finding new ways to be active.
Quoted from the other thread.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM

Arch-Druid

I would dismantle the Horde.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:03 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
I would dismantle the Horde.
You FIE- ah fuck it at this point it'd be like putting down an animal with cancer that might kill it anyway.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMindWontQuiet View Post
If you had one, single opportunity to write for Blizzard, knowing that your work would be canon and get, at least partially, published (in a Chronicle volume, or as (part of) a novel, or as a short-story, or as an in-game series of questlines, etc.), what would you write about and why?
The saga of Mara Fordragon, High Clerist of Stormwind. It would cover her role in the First War, fighting alongside Anduin Lothar and Gavinrad the Dire, her entanglements with Queen Mother Varia and the Cult of the Dark Below (pre-Twilight's Hammer Old God fanatics), and ultimately her holding action at Stormwind that bought time for Lothar and the fleeing refugees to escape. Her grudge match with Azuka Bladefury as Stormwind's cathedral burned was the stuff of legend.

EDIT: As for why, the first war involves very few women characters outside of Garona's prominent role and Draka's passing mention, especially since Chronicles never mentions Blackhand's daughter Griselda. Mara was clearly a character of importance given the statues of her in Stormwind and the paladin class hall, and this story would hopefully build something that would establish why she was important, as well as explaining what happened to Azuka, who had every reason to be involved in the First War.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 03-16-2017 at 09:13 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM

Banished

Tough call.

But I'm going to have to go with a subject near and dear to me, that many of you know I've brought up before: Pre-War of the Three Hammers Dwarven society.

Because we got absolutely fucking nothing with V.1 of Chron.

There is a hell of a lot of room for Fluff there, if not massive plot development (because we know the background/origins of the Dwarves utterly given V.1, and we know, mostly, what happened during the War itself)

I still think there's room for more Development of the War itself but I'd mostly like to see much more detail on the Clans and how they lived leading upto it. Because "DEY WUZ MINERS AND SHIT AND DRUNKS LOL" is boring and bland.

Last edited by Hammerbrew; 03-16-2017 at 09:34 AM..
Old 03-16-2017, 09:33 AM

Arch-Druid

Maybe an expansion of the Uncrowned. I don't really know what, but something to make them fit better. Backstory for Lord Ravenholdt would be fun.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Maybe an expansion of the Uncrowned. I don't really know what, but something to make them fit better. Backstory for Lord Ravenholdt would be fun.
If there were more opportunities to show how the Uncrowned might have impacted political dealings between the kingdoms during the First/Second Wars, that would be pretty cool, but as it stands the only person who does any underhanded stuff in Chronicle is Deathwing as Daval Prestor.

That being said, Fahrad was apparently planted in Ravenholdt's confidence for a long time, so the idea that Deathwing and the Black Flight had a shadow war with Ravenholdt and the Uncrowned might explain why a) Ravenholdt is recruiting new blood leading up to Legion and b) Wrathion doesn't make an appearance with a crew that seems aligned with his style.

Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix

Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Black flight and Ravenholdt trying to out-gambit each other is something I need in my life.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Problemsolver

If given a chance to influence the history and future lore of Warcraft I don't think I'd try to come up with anything especially game-changing or fundamental. I would've probably fleshed out minor races, giving them some additional flavour. Blizzard have given Azeroth (and beyond) plenty of various cultures that, since their initial introduction, have been shown little to no love. Either through a collection of short stories set from the perspective of Warcraft's lesser races, or a compendium by the likes of the Chronicle-series (or an updated, not as RPG-focused Manual of Monsters, if you will), all shedding light on societies and cultures that have fallen out of focus or are treated as mere filler content.

Gnolls, Kobolds, Murlocs, Quillboar, Harpies, Centaurs, Furbolgs, Wolvar, that other Murloc frog race in Sholazar, Pygmies, Sporelings. It would be cool if all of the races with some form of society or culture, even if stone age-esque and tribal, were treated with some updated and expanded lore. It'd even be cool to see the simple, primitive society of raptors in-depth.

It'd also fit perfectly as sort of a lead-in to an Axis of Awful-focused expansion, where the lesser races of Azeroth finally grow tired of the Horde and Alliance's bullshit and decide to put and end to them by striking as a unified force, led by the undead spirit of Hogger residing inside the body of Yowler's grandson Yowler. Trust me, it'll be dope.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
If there were more opportunities to show how the Uncrowned might have impacted political dealings between the kingdoms during the First/Second Wars, that would be pretty cool, but as it stands the only person who does any underhanded stuff in Chronicle is Deathwing as Daval Prestor.

That being said, Fahrad was apparently planted in Ravenholdt's confidence for a long time, so the idea that Deathwing and the Black Flight had a shadow war with Ravenholdt and the Uncrowned might explain why a) Ravenholdt is recruiting new blood leading up to Legion and b) Wrathion doesn't make an appearance with a crew that seems aligned with his style.
That'd be interesting, having it turn out that X group had a hand in big lore events might be nice, though I imagine more of it would be that there were shadowy events we never knew about that maintained or contributed to the status quo.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-16-2017, 10:37 AM

Loremaster

Quote:

I don't think the Uncrowned actually existed at that point; the sense I get in the class hall is that the various composite groups and organizations (Revenholdt, Bloodsail Buccaneers, Defias, etc.) were around for a long time before influencing the world in their respective ways, and the Uncrowned is them unifying for the purpose of fighting the Legion.

The top-level involvement of recently discovered members like the Shado-pan (or at least their Wu Kao branch) and Tess, along with the way the player is sought out to "complete" the council of Shadows (as opposed to replace someone already on it) while Vanessa had been seeking the same role presents it as a recent creation that they're building rather than something that's been around all this time.

Plus it seems to me that the Bloodsails would have wiped out or conquered all the other pirate fleets a long time ago if they'd had the resources of something like the Uncrowned on their side.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I don't think the Uncrowned actually existed at that point; the sense I get in the class hall is that the various composite groups and organizations (Revenholdt, Bloodsail Buccaneers, Defias, etc.) were around for a long time before influencing the world in their respective ways, and the Uncrowned is them unifying for the purpose of fighting the Legion.

The top-level involvement of recently discovered members like the Shado-pan (or at least their Wu Kao branch) and Tess, along with the way the player is sought out to "complete" the council of Shadows (as opposed to replace someone already on it) while Vanessa had been seeking the same role presents it as a recent creation that they're building rather than something that's been around all this time.

Plus it seems to me that the Bloodsails would have wiped out or conquered all the other pirate fleets a long time ago if they'd had the resources of something like the Uncrowned on their side.
Good old ARM. It's probably because my rogue is horrifically neglected that I didn't put this together from the introduction to the Uncrowned narrative; I'd jumped to the conclusion that they'd been around for awhile.

That said, I still like the idea of Ravenholdt getting outmaneuvered by Daval Prestor particularly because he never pieces together that a) Prestor's an ancient black dragon or b) Fahrad is a spy nestled within a network of spies.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:12 AM

Eternal

I would fuse orcacron and red shirt guy together, brain wash the new entity with liberal ideologies and turn him loose on Blizzard.

After several years of lore fuck ups due to his toxic ideology that is destroying the franchise, i will swoop in and save the day with material full of substance that people actually care about. This will solidify my career and open a way to being CEO.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Good old ARM. It's probably because my rogue is horrifically neglected that I didn't put this together from the introduction to the Uncrowned narrative; I'd jumped to the conclusion that they'd been around for awhile.

That said, I still like the idea of Ravenholdt getting outmaneuvered by Daval Prestor particularly because he never pieces together that a) Prestor's an ancient black dragon or b) Fahrad is a spy nestled within a network of spies.
Well, also remember that the Kirin Tor had to rely on magical means to sniff out Prestor's activities, as he kept his traceable "paper trail" to a minimum because he could rely on goblin minions for mundane tasks rather than having to involve outside help.

Speaking of which, it sure would be nice if we someday got an explanation for Deathwing's goblins. Are they part of a cartel? Being goblins, are they even paid? Why do they tend to sound different from other goblins in the books? I used to speculate that they became the Venture Company as a modern-day "front" to Deathwing's operations (since the Venture Co. comes across as too prone to alienating everyone else to the point of violence to even have a stable customer base), but nothing solid has really come of it and he wasn't shown relying on goblins any more once he had the Twilight's Hammer army building his stuff during Cataclysm. With their portrayals mainly limited to books (and an offhand mention in Legion), it ends up coming across like Deathwing having goblins at all is an old leftover of some older novels' "D&D-think" where goblins got cast as default bottom-tier minions for bigger villains.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM

Eternal

We'll probably learn of all of Deathwing's shenanigans in Volume III.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:44 AM

Banished

Either Azshara's youth or Azsune's story.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:56 AM

Eternal

"How come you only tell stories about villains?"

"Because heroes don't exist."
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Warden

Manitd.

Quote:
The mantid are a race of insect-like creatures native to Pandaria, originally created by the Old Gods. The mantid forced the yaungol out of their homeland Townlong Steppes[2] and devour everything in their path in order to build their own crystalline empire of ruthless warriors and scheming feudal lords.
When Blizzard first released this preview of the mantid I was thrilled, it sounded completely awesome. I expected a sophisticated culture of cunning politicians and back-stabbing vassals, everyone seeking the favor of the Empress, or hoping to depose her. Instead of being the standard fantasy "hive-queen" because "insects, lol" the Empress should have been an actual leader, not a broodmother. In fact, she should have been chaste, incorporating a psuedo-spiritual dogma into her leadership by declaring all mantid as her children, regardless of birth, emphasizing her authority while preserving her purity.

They had so much going for them with the Kypari trees, Kunchong, millennial swarming, and Y'shaarj. These unique factors could have enriched their culture so much. Kypari trees provide the very blood of mantid society: amber. Growing in various areas of the Dread Wastes and Townlong Steppes, a number of political figures and their families could have warred for control over the source of amber, whether it be through political maneuvering or unscrupulous assassination. The sap must flow.

Kunchong could have been revered as the embodiment of powerful spirits, forces of nature that carved a path wherever they crawled. Mantid could have incorporated Kunchong traits into their culture, emulating the tenacity or strength. Hell, the information given by Blizzard could have pointed to them being a remnant of ancient mantid society of simple nomads following the wake of these massive beasts and deriving their livelihood from them. Instead, they more or less amounted to living battering rams.

The swarming was handled fairly well, I can give Blizzard that, but it would have been nice to interweave it more intricately with mantid culture. Why not also have it being a method of efficient population control? The mantid were enclosed behind the Serpent's Spine after all. With land and its associated resources being a premium, controlling the growth of mantid numbers becomes paramount, which also adds the interesting contrast of pandaren fighting for their lives to prevent the downfall of Pandaria while the mantid are really just trying to keep a lid on their numbers. This also provides the frightening realization that the mantid could overwhelm the wall and invade greater Pandaria, which they did, mind you, if they actually cared.

I wanted to see mantid go the way of the nerubians by rejecting the Old Gods. Keep worship of Y'shaarj not as a deity, but a set of principles. Have the Seven Heads of Y'shaarj, the Sha, as tests of mantid morals, the final gift of a forgotten god. How fascinating would that have been? A sort of twisted, mantid version of the Seven Burdens of Shaohao. But no, we received standard, chaotic evil monster men who worship an oil spill.

I wanted a society that culled its population by throwing it at the Serpent's Spine, leaving only the most cunning and fierce behind to continue their fight in actual mantid society, an empire of the elite. I wanted to see a people not just at war with Pandaria, but with themselves behind closed doors and disarming smiles, cruel, back-stabbing, clever, bastards that established their dominance on a hill of defeated rivals. I wanted to explore a city of meticulous stonework and magnificent architecture leading up to a resplendent palace, the very Heart of the Swarm, where a shrewd, and unbelievably ruthless, empress sat on the ancient throne of her equally vicious ancestors.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:23 PM

World Builder

That would've been glorious Apep, makes me change my answer, I'd write Nerubians into the horde as longterm but nonplayable allies, basically heading up magical and alchemic research of the old gods

Working magic with orcs and belfs, alchemy with gobs and forsaken and both with trolls, a dead empire resurrecting itself by working with the horde, and what I'd really like is a leadership thats loyalty is initially nebulous at best, planning to ditch the horde or betray it, only to eventually realize that a longterm partnership will actually work better and that they're getting more from the surface races than they'd expected, their empire doesn't just revive, it thrives

nerubian silk in silvermoon, venom selling in undercity, orcs and trolls butchering faceless in exchange for ore they're clearing out of collapsed chambers, etc...

My Worldbuilding:
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 PM

Eternal

I think I'd really love to see more work done to show the origins of the Aqir-descendant races. Especially since there's got to be some kind of common ancestry between the kunchong and the qiraji colossi.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:13 PM

Banished

I would pair Anduin with Wrathion. We need more LGBTQ characters.

/dips out of thread permanently
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Is it cheating if my work was already incorporated into the Chronicle?

What I'd really like is there to be or have been some kind of powerful, functional representative democracy on either Azeroth or some other locale with a reputation for being civilized and admired by others (IE, not Draenor). There're emperors, kings, chiefs, high priestesses, prophets, but not a single president in the multiverse, it seems.

I'd probably have an Elven Republic before Azshara pulled a Caesar and made herself queen. Or maybe make the Draenei Triumvirate of Velen, Archimonde and Kil'Jaden an elected body as part of a larger senate or something, and when we go back to Argus we have all these remnants of a once pluralistic government.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Faerie Dragon

I don't think it'd fit the ancient Elves, they do tend to have supreme rulers, which is probably part of their Troll heritage. I could totally see this for the Eredar society however.

Edit : it would give Sargeras even more reason to recruit them.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Is it cheating if my work was already incorporated into the Chronicle?

What I'd really like is there to be or have been some kind of powerful, functional representative democracy on either Azeroth or some other locale with a reputation for being civilized and admired by others (IE, not Draenor). There're emperors, kings, chiefs, high priestesses, prophets, but not a single president in the multiverse, it seems.

I'd probably have an Elven Republic before Azshara pulled a Caesar and made herself queen. Or maybe make the Draenei Triumvirate of Velen, Archimonde and Kil'Jaden an elected body as part of a larger senate or something, and when we go back to Argus we have all these remnants of a once pluralistic government.
Isn't that Gelbin in all but name though, wasn't he basically voted into power and King is just the title they use?

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
fanwank, warcraft