Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Well, it's just been freezing up, somtimes able minimize programs, but nothing more.

It also does really get far too hot for merely world of warcraft- About as hot as when I played Portal 2 on my 4/5 year old laptop. Had problems with it to start off with (had to replace the graphics card, CD drive sounded funny), and then had to do a factory reset after only a couple of months. It's not a clogged fan either, and it's barely 8 months old.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Well, it's just been freezing up, somtimes able minimize programs, but nothing more.

It also does really get far too hot for merely world of warcraft- About as hot as when I played Portal 2 on my 4/5 year old laptop. Had problems with it to start off with (had to replace the graphics card, CD drive sounded funny), and then had to do a factory reset after only a couple of months. It's not a clogged fan either, and it's barely 8 months old.
You should take that in to someone.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Oh I'm in a great apartment, it's just old. It's converted from what I think were the servants quarters of an old Haussmanian townhouse into the studio of a woodworker who's out of town so he's renting it out. Beautiful place, but I'm not sure when it was wired for electricity.
See, this is the fucking problem with Paris.

Because the damned French rolled over in WW2 without a fight, the city was never properly bombed. Every other major city in Europe had to re-build post-war, but not Paris.

Thus, you have shitty pre-war plumbing and wiring all over the place, which is why French people smell, and why Omacron's poor mother can't use her laptop.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Eternal

I am going to buy the nvidia gt 630 2 gb ddr3. I know that it's a pretty average card for these days, but it will work fine for the next 3-4 years. My parents wouldn't allow me to buy a really expensive card, so will have to buy this one.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
See, this is the fucking problem with Paris.

Because the damned French rolled over in WW2 without a fight, the city was never properly bombed. Every other major city in Europe had to re-build post-war, but not Paris.

Thus, you have shitty pre-war plumbing and wiring all over the place, which is why French people smell, and why Omacron's poor mother can't use her laptop.
Well, you know the old joke, right? Why did the French plant trees along the Champs-Elysees?

So parkour kids had something to jump on
Old 08-23-2013, 03:17 AM

Eternal

Guess what? I got my card upgraded, and the game still has the same freezing problem. Yeah. Not lying. Still complete freeze.

Is there anyone here with some sort of expertise in computers? Mind you, I joined Tom's Hardware forum for getting help today.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:28 AM

The Digger

This isn't so much a computer problem as a general advice question: any recommendations headset-wise? Something under a hundred dollars, preferably.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
Guess what? I got my card upgraded, and the game still has the same freezing problem. Yeah. Not lying. Still complete freeze.

Is there anyone here with some sort of expertise in computers? Mind you, I joined Tom's Hardware forum for getting help today.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...71&postcount=2

Try that.

May or may not work, but I just resubbed about a day ago and the launcher was freezing my system and refusing to launch the game. Eventually, it blue screened me. When I DO manage to get it launched I get a patch error message.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...71&postcount=2

Try that.

May or may not work, but I just resubbed about a day ago and the launcher was freezing my system and refusing to launch the game. Eventually, it blue screened me. When I DO manage to get it launched I get a patch error message.
Did it work for you?
Old 08-24-2013, 03:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call of duty 1 View Post
Did it work for you?
Yes. Restart after install.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
This isn't so much a computer problem as a general advice question: any recommendations headset-wise? Something under a hundred dollars, preferably.
I got a very good headset for about $20-30. It was a Microsoft LifeChat or something along those lines. Apparently it was a match to my keyboard, but I highly recommend it.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:51 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Get rid of Norton and AVG, and just run Windows Defender.

No, I'm not kidding.
Don't listen to this idiot. This is my realm.

Windows Defender. Do you even know what it is? First of all, if you even listened to what his problem was, it stemmed from a fake Microsoft malware removal tool. The thing about switching antivirus tools WHEN you have a virus is that the virus could potentially interrupt you from ever putting another antivirus tool on your system. Telling him to "just use the real one" is probably very bad advice considering now the user has to figure out which one is which.

Hopefully you're referring to Windows Security Essentials, as that is a completely separate tool that has the potential to safeguard a system. Dispute this, since most Vista and Windows 7 users have this service running is that it is THE service that viruses want to disable. The thing about having a different antivirus tool is that there is no longer a "standardized keyhole" and it's harder for viruses to dismantle them.

Bolvar and Nazja, please tell me as best as you can why you believe Norton is bad.

Nonetheless, if you need me to help fix your issue I'll gladly do it either over Skype or RDC.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM

Elune

It's Windows Defender on W8. Further, Norton is A) a resource hog, and B) every bit as common as Essentials. More so in a business environment.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:16 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

A lot of the problem with ganging virus scanners is that they change every year as to which one is supposed to be the best.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's Windows Defender on W8. Further, Norton is A) a resource hog, and B) every bit as common as Essentials. More so in a business environment.
I've never had problems with it being a resource hog; however, I've seen countless people claim it is. I can't find a definite answer, but do you mind elaborating? Is it resource intensive while scanning? It shouldn't be scanning too frequently as it has built-in automatic file protection which will prevent the majority of viruses from even being openable before they're purged. Norton on my PC uses <1% CPU.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbmitch View Post
I've never had problems with it being a resource hog; however, I've seen countless people claim it is. I can't find a definite answer, but do you mind elaborating? Is it resource intensive while scanning? It shouldn't be scanning too frequently as it has built-in automatic file protection which will prevent the majority of viruses from even being openable before they're purged. Norton on my PC uses <1% CPU.
Norton has so many different processes that it runs at once, and so many different that it's dependent on, that it's just not a very good program. It has a lower detection rate, a high false positive rate, and its just not at all my favorite software.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Demon Hunter

There's also a difference between Norton Internet Security and the basic Norton antivirus. Full blown NIS with everything turned on is worse than most low level malware.

On headphones, the pair of headphones I've used the longest were a $30 koss set that fit my head perfectly, most headsets make my ear cartilage sore after an hour. Comfort > audio quality.

Last edited by Shamu; 08-24-2013 at 06:30 PM..
Old 08-24-2013, 06:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Senheiser is my recommendation. I don't know how it's spelled, though.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
Full blown NIS with everything turned on is worse than most low level malware.
Okay, here's where the idiocy starts popping out! No way in the whole fucking world is that ever the fucking case. Come on now. No need for explanation on this one.

Quote:
Norton has so many different processes that it runs at once, and so many different that it's dependent on, that it's just not a very good program. It has a lower detection rate, a high false positive rate, and its just not at all my favorite software.
Norton never runs more than one process. I think you're referring to different options you can have turned on, like SONAR protection and whatnot, but you would normally turn off the stuff you don't want.

Have you personally had a problem with any sort of malware getting through? I've had to fix people's computers with that problem and as soon as I look into it I find that their virus definitions are out of fucking date. You need to be sure to always have it on automatic update.

The thing about all this "x is better than y" is that they all use the same virus definitions for the most part. Not one antivirus is better than the other. I can say for sure that if you have an antivirus that is more frequently updated, you're safer. The great thing about Norton, like I said, is that it automatically detects if you've downloaded a malicious file. I've had false positives come up but only for malicious tools themselves (hacking tools for games and such).

Technically, the way the definitions are set up, there is no "false positive". They are looking for a signature that a virus has been found to have. If it is found, it suspects that the program can potentially do harm, but any action from there (automatic removal) is done with user intervention, whether that be manually or through options set.

Have you used it since 2009? They really cleaned their shit up and Norton is much better since then. You don't even notice it running and it really saves your ass.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Okay, here's where the idiocy starts popping out! No way in the whole fucking world is that ever the fucking case. Come on now. No need for explanation on this one.
In terms of system performance? It definitely can be, though of course it depends on the system and it depends on the malware. Admittedly I haven't seen it on the computers I repair since 2011 or so, it seems to have gone out with the last vestiges of XP at my university. People would protect a $300 laptop from walmart with a $60 annual subscription to eat up a quarter of their RAM and still get compromised because you can't patch stupid.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamu View Post
In terms of system performance? It definitely can be, though of course it depends on the system and it depends on the malware. Admittedly I haven't seen it on the computers I repair since 2011 or so, it seems to have gone out with the last vestiges of XP at my university. People would protect a $300 laptop from walmart with a $60 annual subscription to eat up a quarter of their RAM and still get compromised because you can't patch stupid.
When you mean you can't patch stupid, hopefully you mean they can't patch it because they're stupid... right? Patching is like the bane of the antivirus.

And I feel you on the subscription for budget systems. It's weird to tell a guy he shouldn't purchase a subscription for the hunk he is using. Oh gosh, this reminds me of the time when someone asked me how much performance they would get from upgrading their RAM from some like 2 gigs or something to 16 on this tiny little Toshiba. He said it was for "e-mail and intensive video watching" and went on about how his loading times are too slow, etc.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 AM

Eternal

Ferlion's fix didn't work for me. Still the same freezing problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:05 AM

Sha of Disappointment

just a hunch but try checking the size of your hard drive and how much is full. we're still talking laptop, right? (a 3DS is a horrible browser ^^)

edit: squeaking of this! I am looking for a decently sized but cheap WiFi tablet to be a bit more mobile within the house. It really doesn't need to do anything but display a decent-to-fast web browser. Suggestions?

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 08-25-2013 at 04:16 AM..
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 AM

Eternal

Nah, it's a desktop. And I have more than 10 gb free space on c drive. I installed it on D drive, which has more than 25 gb left after installing.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Damn.

Wait, how big are those? Is your PC crammed or are is the hard drive tiny?

Tags
computers, did you restart?, google, realspace, tighten up the graphics