Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Elune

Default Heart of the Swarm Preview Next Month

We get our first look in under a month:

http://kotaku.com/#!5794590/our-firs...ens-next-month
Old 04-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Awesome, I can't wait! I'm really curious as to how they're going to keep the singleplayer entertaining with only one character among the zerg that can talk and not having a central hub/ship like the Terran do.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

At this point I dunno if I'm even gonna bother getting it.

Blizzards gonna have to work pretty friggin hard to earn back my respect for StarCraft's storyline and gameplay.

I know that sounds kinda primadonna-ish... but... uh... yeah. I mean I pretty much said the same thing after Wrath of the Lich King, and I love Cataclysm so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

One thing I really liked about SCII WoL was the conversations you could have in the singleplayer mode, much like a RPG or adventure game. Blizz has never done a story-based RPG, the closest they've ever come was Diablo which was basically a graphical roguelike. I'd really love to see if Blizz could try and pull of a CRPG flavor with HotS to the tune of, say, Bioware or Bethesda.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
One thing I really liked about SCII WoL was the conversations you could have in the singleplayer mode, much like a RPG or adventure game. Blizz has never done a story-based RPG, the closest they've ever come was Diablo which was basically a graphical roguelike. I'd really love to see if Blizz could try and pull of a CRPG flavor with HotS to the tune of, say, Bioware or Bethesda.
somehow I doubt they could pull it off, aspecially in HotS. The zerg aren't known for their emotions. Even if Raynor helps Kerrigan, there won't ever be as many real characters in this campaign as there were in WoL.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:40 PM

Seeing as she's apparently in a ghost uniform again, and she helps Jim take down Mengsk in that leaked, unfinished cinematic, something tells me she may be working with more humans than Zerg. It's entirely possible she may also end up on the Hyperion.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Seeing as she's apparently in a ghost uniform again, and she helps Jim take down Mengsk in that leaked, unfinished cinematic, something tells me she may be working with more humans than Zerg. It's entirely possible she may also end up on the Hyperion.
It could yes, but you're going to control the Zerg for most of the campaign and I really don't see Raynor's crew wanting to have the zerg near/on their ship. At the end of the day, they're still primal beasts and with Kerrigan being more human, who knows how much control she still has over them.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
It could yes, but you're going to control the Zerg for most of the campaign and I really don't see Raynor's crew wanting to have the zerg near/on their ship. At the end of the day, they're still primal beasts and with Kerrigan being more human, who knows how much control she still has over them.
I'm sure there'll be something controlling the zerg Sarah isn't. They gotta have an excuse for players to fight zerg in the campaign, just as Raynor fought the Terran Dominion.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:38 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
I'm sure there'll be something controlling the zerg Sarah isn't. They gotta have an excuse for players to fight zerg in the campaign, just as Raynor fought the Terran Dominion.
The Dark Voice or his forces (Duran, the Tal'darim, etc.) will likely try to fill the zerg's power vacuum. Also, I hope that Daggoth survived to be a foil for Kerrigan. Chris Metzen outright said that he died off-screen, but there are literally no other individual zerg characters left.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:45 PM

Demon Hunter

as long as mengsk goes down hard and suffers a rather explosive breakdown i'll be cool (he's always been a power hungry mad man first and foremost so once he realizzes he's truly screwed he's going to loose it). I also think we will finally see more of the DV than subtle hints every now and than, and that we will spend a lot of time on kerrigan coming to term with her crimes and making ammends. It's important to realize that this is the first time she's truly been free. First she was a slave to the confederacy, than to mengsk, than to the overmind and finally to her own darkness. She's going to have to adapt to this change and it can't be easy. The zerg don't have to be flowers and sunshine (in fact I hope they aren't) just that they are predators rather than malignant animals that seek to assimilate all life. Blizzard also said they would reveal the circumstances of the xel'naga's destruction, and the overmind's corruption, which could very well shut up a lot of butthurt whiners if done properly (again, to all those complaining wait and see. just because it might seem silly doesn't mean there aren't good explanations later down the road. I was sceptical of the Old Republic MMO until revan was destuified by being made into the sith emporer's acolyte who got greedy for power, and I loved gran torino despite initial scepticism.)

but how is gameplay bad (I mean yes I know they got rid of the old battlenet but the mission variety is far better than the original build up forces kill enemenis lather rinse repeat and the unit control is far more streamlined.) If anything the gampelay is superior to the original starcraft; even the most die hard haters of the storyline usually praise the gameplay or express respect for it.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Sarah Kerrigan will get reinfested, so don't expect her to stay with the terrans for a long time.

Also, there's lot of infested characters now. Expect Kerrigan to work with them.

As for who may be controlling the zerg now, well, the scenario is the same of BW, with each swarm being independent from each other. We may see some swarms trying to take control over others.

I expect Tychus to return in some way. He was given too much attention to be done for WoL. Also, Ariel Hanson is more than hinted to be infested since the beginning, so she may return as some sort of half-queen half-terran character.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
As for who may be controlling the zerg now, well, the scenario is the same of BW, with each swarm being independent from each other. We may see some swarms trying to take control over others.
There were only ever two swarms, with the UED using one of them. If you mean Broods, that never happened.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

The gameplay is great but the story could get some work but i surely dont expect her to get infested again as shes still the key i think to defeating the Dark Voice.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:41 PM

My guess is that Kerrigan will re-infest herself over the course of the game. It's said to be more RPG like, and I'd imagine that means that Kerrigan will "level up". Her being in a ghost suit and mostly human again means she's starting off at level 1, and as you go through the game she's going to level up and pick more zerg mutations for herself.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
My guess is that Kerrigan will re-infest herself over the course of the game. It's said to be more RPG like, and I'd imagine that means that Kerrigan will "level up". Her being in a ghost suit and mostly human again means she's starting off at level 1, and as you go through the game she's going to level up and pick more zerg mutations for herself.
I dont think that she will level herself similar to Warcraft 3 but Blizzard made it look like we could buy/unlock choices of Zerg upgrades on her just like when we got more units and upgrades in the Original Sc2.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:30 AM

Eternal

maybe the hyperion will get infested
Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 AM

Demon Hunter

i think the dark voice might capture jim to use him as bait for kerrigan; and he tortures the living shit out of him while monologuing about how his people were weak and needed to be destroyed to be remade. And we see a flashback of the Xel'Naga's destruction if we visit the overmind's corpse.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:06 PM

So any news on this preview?
Old 05-17-2011, 12:11 AM

Arch-Druid

The Blizzcon's post. The Thrall on the left looks so badass, and the woman to the right should be no other than Sarah Kerrigan. Looks doesn't like a ghost that much.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

GameTrailers is going to have a teaser trailer up, I assume soon. It got leaked onto YouTube but its removal notice says that it was GameTrailers contested it, so that's what I'm thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Warden

Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post

An "am not sure if want" image would be more appropriate but I am too lazy to make or find one.

Inclusion of Nova makes me happy, but Blizzard has really made me lose my faith in the Starcraft franchise with Wings of Liberty's ending, which is a shame since I liked the rest of the game and loved the Dark Templar Saga. De-infesting and redeeming Kerrigan is, without a doubt in my mind, the worst development Blizzard has made in any of their games in the past decade. I'm tempted to say its the worst in their history.

But Blizzard games are always solid gameplay-wise and maybe, maybe they'll be able to find a way to make the de-infestation suck less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed

Last edited by HalfElfDragon; 05-28-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 AM

Elune

Diablo looks like the Alien from Independence Day.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
Pretty cool, although I'm sure it wasn't supposed to pop up until the 31, when the NDA expires.

However, there's something "weird" there... spectres. It isn't the full cinematic, so we can't be sure if they're with Nova, Raynor or someone else, but it's weird, unless they somehow revived their program.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-28-2011, 09:24 AM

I don't think Kerrigan is totally de-infested. It's an excuse to start her off at level one so that she can get more powerful from doing quests.