Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2014, 02:48 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,969
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball Andy's Official UFO and Extraterresticals Thread of Awesomesaucers

Thanks for clickling my elmo!

Alien-related everything is a passion of mine. I'm here to share my knowledge, debunk popular UFO misconceptions, and hear your theories and tell you why you are wrong.

Quickly, now:

*UFO's are not an American fad, they are reported regularly worldwide.
*UFO's do occasionally get detected by radar.
*UFO's are not a modern phenomenon, they have been recorded since ancient times, though they have rarely been connected with alien visitation until modern times.
*UFO's have indeed been seen in space.
*UFO's have many credible witnesses like astronauts, experienced pilots, soldiers, police officers, scientists, and government officials.
*Not all UFO's are the classic "saucer" shape. Some are "V" shaped, "cigar" shaped, or are just balls of light(s).
*The idea of "Men in Black" did not originate with the movies.
*Serious groups of UFO research exists like MUFON with legitimate physicists, engineers, and they debunk a large number of cases they investigate.
*There are many different theories and ideas about UFOs, Aliens, and conspiracies, but they are independent from each other (e.g. People who believe UFO's are alien spacecraft don't also necessarily believe there is a secret illuminati composed of reptilian humanoids that can shapeshift into Humans).
*The existence of Area 51 as a secret aeronautics testing facility was revealed by the United States government around 1997. If you attempt to cross into the boundary, you will be shot on site.
*The recovery of crashed spacecraft in Roswell, NM in 1947 was announced officially by the military, but later was reported as a high-altitude weather balloon.
*Reported UFO crashes existed before the famous Roswell case in 1947.
*Jets have attempted to intercept UFO's on many occasions, typically related to the violation of restricted "no-fly" zones.
*Mainstream scientists like Michio Kaku believe UFO's are worthy of scientific investigation.

I will also dive into the ancient astronaut theory, the ancient aliens show, alien abductions, theories, and the most famous cases in this thread at a later time.

UFOs, Aliens, and Psychology
"Aliens Did It" - The Ancient Astronaut Theory (soon)
The Roswell Incident: Theories and Facts (later)
__________________

Last edited by AndyJP; 08-30-2014 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: I don't need a reason, I'm AndyJP motherfucker
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Eternal
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,866

Default

I used to watch Ancient Aliens all the time, if only because of how hilariously dumb that show gets.

Think my personal favorite was that the Large Hadron Collider is a portal to another world because it is circular, mimicking the Aztec calender.

That or how the walls of Jericho were brought down with an alien sonic weapon. Both were quite amusing.

Anyways~

Question. Have you (or anyone else) ever see something otherworldly?

A few months back I saw something, but was unable to get a picture or video, sadly.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Pajamasalad Pajamasalad is offline

Elune
Pajamasalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,919,140

Default

You are meddling in things you shouldn't be meddling in!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,003

Default



Pseudoscience.
__________________
"And isn't sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick! Rational Thinking. Oh but when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!" - The Tick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:16 PM
handclaw handclaw is offline


handclaw's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,551

Default

__________________


I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The FUTURE
Posts: 9,236

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are meddling in things you shouldn't be meddling in!
PJS works for people who will hunt you down and disappear you for this kind of talk.

Lock the thread!
__________________
Warning: May contain seeds of own destruction.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is online now

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 14,239
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Honestly, I'm kinda freaked out by things like these.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,003

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Honestly, I'm kinda freaked out by things like these.
It's just people mistaking weird environmental or coincidental stuff for aliens :|
__________________
"And isn't sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick! Rational Thinking. Oh but when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!" - The Tick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Eternal
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
It's just people mistaking weird environmental or coincidental stuff for aliens :|
Generally, yeah.

There's the people who see Venus, or even more amusingly the Moon, and think its a UFO.

But there are still some oddities out there. Who knows, its a big ass world out there, and an even bigger universe.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is online now

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 14,239
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Generally, yeah.

There's the people who see Venus, or even more amusingly the Moon, and think its a UFO.

But there are still some oddities out there. Who knows, its a big ass world out there, and an even bigger universe.
Like that chip that replaced a bone thing...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Arakiba Arakiba is offline

Eternal
Arakiba's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,866

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Like that chip that replaced a bone thing...
The what now?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The FUTURE
Posts: 9,236

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Who knows, its a big ass world out there, and an even bigger universe.
Right. That's kind of what makes it unlikely.
__________________
Warning: May contain seeds of own destruction.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,003

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Generally, yeah.

There's the people who see Venus, or even more amusingly the Moon, and think its a UFO.

But there are still some oddities out there. Who knows, its a big ass world out there, and an even bigger universe.
Given the infinite size of the universe there's definitely other life out there.


Thinking any of it has popped down here to bother us, or that we'd be able to tell if it did, is... harder to swallow.

I'd need some very serious evidence, not the usual shaky flimsy nonsense stuff.
__________________
"And isn't sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick! Rational Thinking. Oh but when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!" - The Tick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-23-2014, 04:47 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Apocrypha
Posts: 21,118

Default

I want us to discover intelligent life out there. Then I remember what happened when Europeans came to America... What would the US, Russia, China etc. do in case we discovered a planet like ours with similar species like us stuck in the middle ages and such? I honestly don't wanna find out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Omacron Omacron is online now


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 29,381
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

I had a really interesting conversation with one of my old professors who said that a lot of American alien abduction myths are re-dressed versions of Celtic Faerie stories.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is online now

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 14,239
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
The what now?
A women that was "alien napped" in her bedroom and was later found to have a bone in her feets fingers replaced with a chip. I don't know the veracity of it. It was just creepy as heck x-ray.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22,881

Default

Let's just hope we have the bigger guns and the sense not to use them.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-24-2014, 02:00 AM
RikuEru RikuEru is offline

Ranger
RikuEru's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bonn, Germany
Posts: 360

Default

I believe there's life out there, probably, statistically.
Something between a bakteria like lifeform or a higher-evolved being than we are. We don't know. We'll VERY likely never know.
Because of the distance, because of the time and tech it would need, because humans would propably eradicate each other before we get that far.

And in the case, that there would be higher beings, able to travel space at long distances with ease: Why would they bother with us?
Probably... not. Maybe even declare Sol-system as a closed of interstellar resort or something, like in the Perry Rhodan Universe (at the start).
Before you bring up the argument "Why wouldn't they like to see other lifeforms, like we do?" They probably have. In case they could visit us, they could visit many other planets aswell. By the time they get here, they're probably bored to death by lowly lifeforms.
They're probably not like Cpt. Kirk who wanted to f*** every beautiful humanoid female and not like Cpt. Picard who wanted to bring peace, tea and democracy to every humanoid lifeform and not like Cpt. Janeway who wanted to... well... resolve conflicts for other humanoid lifeforms! (We don't talk about Archer)

I think the US are doing some other shit in Area 51. Weird shit in general, not only alien stuff, more like Warehouse 13.

But that's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 AM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Arch-Druid
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,387
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

One of the funniest things I ever saw on the internet was the hype about the "Black Knight" satellite and how every greedy profiteer in the media that makes his money with UFO mumbojumbo jumped on the bandwagon.

Turns out it was just a towel from ISS. I laughed so hard.

There are only two documented cases of UFO encounters that legitimately intrigue me so far, and they involve multiple eye witnesses from the military:

- the case from the UK during a military exercise

- the case in Iran with pilots as well as people on the ground reporting the encounter

Look 'em up, those are actually pretty spooky.
__________________
Check this stuff out if you're interested:

http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/uplo...ned_6_by_9.pdf

http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Pajamasalad Pajamasalad is offline

Elune
Pajamasalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 9,919,140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
PJS works for people who will hunt you down and disappear you for this kind of talk.

Lock the thread!
You can't handle the truth...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Royalpimp Royalpimp is offline

Eternal
Royalpimp's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,679

Default

AndyJP is best JP. I find the subject interesting myself, but it's not that easy to find credible sources, at least for me.
Looking forward to being aducated!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-24-2014, 01:36 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,969
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I want us to discover intelligent life out there. Then I remember what happened when Europeans came to America... What would the US, Russia, China etc. do in case we discovered a planet like ours with similar species like us stuck in the middle ages and such? I honestly don't wanna find out.
We're terrified of "contaminating" a dead planet like Mars so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 8,678
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
We're terrified of "contaminating" a dead planet like Mars so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
I'm the opposite of that. If we can spread terran life of any perceivable kind to Mars then we should do so! Spreading terran life in the universe should be our main goal.
__________________

"We drank, we fought - he made his ancestors proud!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The FUTURE
Posts: 9,236

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaskaleh View Post
I'm the opposite of that. If we can spread terran life of any perceivable kind to Mars then we should do so! Spreading terran life in the universe should be our main goal.
Why don't more people understand this?
__________________
Warning: May contain seeds of own destruction.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-30-2014, 05:15 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,969
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Default

Sorry for the delay, I had been delayed.

UFO, Aliens, and Psychology

The human brain is ripe with distorted thinking. Sometimes we attempt to predict the reasons of why somebody might not have replied to our text, and we can even convince ourselves of these reasons if we never get the truth. Of the many different types of distorted thoughts, confirmation bias is abundant in society and it is important to mention in the discussion of UFO's, the supernatural, conspiracies, and anything unexplained. The confirmation bias refers to the tendency to selectively search for and consider information that confirms one's beliefs. A reporter looking to write an article may only gather information that are consistent with his or hers values or beliefs, while ignoring or minimizing all other information. This could be applied to many UFO believers. To truly study the phenomenon requires skepticism, but an open-minded skepticism. An inflexible skeptic is antithetical to scientific advancement.

UFO is the acronym for Unidentified Flying Object. A UFO could inevitably be identified by researchers as military aircraft, weather phenomena, astronomical phenomena, or maybe one day, an extraterrestrial spacecraft. There is certainly not an umbrella identification for all UFOs. About 95% of UFO cases become identified by independent research organizations like MUFON, which employs professionals in all fields to investigate reported cases. The remaining 5% is hardly trivial, however, because these are primarily the cases with the most evidence that leave scientists baffled.

In many UFO cases, the object may be revealed to be an existing military (or non-military) aircraft that was simply misidentified. There are claims that those 5% of the remaining unexplained could be the result of experimental or top secret aircraft. However the most common characteristics of these unexplained cases involve objects that make no sound, can hover, and take off at great speeds without making noise. Many of these also appear to violate known established scientific laws, which would mean a dramatic leap in science and technology by the military, leaving civilians and scientific institutions in the dark. What seems more improbable is that these aircraft - be they military - are not used to promptly end wars. Were UFOs proven to be top secret military craft and not used in war, it would cause great uproar from veterans and the families of soldiers who died in combat, as deploying these craft in wars would have likely greatly reduced casualties.

Know that the most credible UFO cases that are not readily dismissed are aggressively scrutinized by astronomers, meteorologists, engineers, and other scientists in attempts to identify the object. Researchers can determine the weather, astronomical alignments, and satellite positions at the time of the UFO claim. Attempts are made to correlate sightings with radar reports or air base schedules, but this information is sometimes denied. In the United States, citizens can submit a request for government documents with the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). The government is not required to release top secret information and can release documents with blacked out information that they wish to remain confidential. In many cases, only top secret projects are the remaining possibility that can't be accounted for. It's not a conspiracy that a government will lie to prevent information from becoming public, it is an obvious undeniable fact. Whether or not the governments of the world are withholding information about extraterrestrial visitation remains speculative. Many governments are starting to become more cooperative with UFO investigators, and more witnesses are beginning to come forward.

More About Cognitive Distortions

Back to top
__________________

Last edited by AndyJP; 08-30-2014 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Because I'm the goddamn Batman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aliens, srs bsns?, tin foil hat, ufo, underpants gnomes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.