Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 06:44 PM

Eternal

Default The Digimon Nostaligia thread

Hey, if Pokefans get their own thread here! Why not Digimon fans!

Ok since Digimon is a thing of the past but I've been watching Digimon episodes posted on Youtube recently from Seasons 1 and 2--sad the eps will be taken down soon. That or Game of Thrones So yeah. Also since the PSP adaptation of the game came out only in Japan recently in 2013, I've felt compelled to revisit this era of nostalgia. And I remember..almost everything.

The first three series, INCLUDING the controversial 02 influenced my childhood to a large extent. I liked it more than Pokemon!

Anyways here's how I would have done everything through for the controversial 02 series. Tamers dosen't need much edits through, I actually felt it is good without any fan edit from me! Plus D-Reaper was a pretty scary SOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xie323 rewrite
First, we have 01, Not much change from 01 so it's gonna be focused more on 02. For 01, I would have all the children's Digimon go into Mega form for the final battle with Apoclymon and it's established that the reason they can't access ultimate and mega digivolve anymore is because they help the Digidestined in containing Apoclymon's explosion channel large amounts of energy into containing the explosion, essentially nerfing them and sacrificing their mega powers. While I do love the way of having to find the crests to reach Ultimate Level, I always thought that only having 2 Mega Level Digimon was a little un balanced for the final battle! And hey' it's the final battle so the good guys should hit em with everything they have!!!

Now onto 02, Emperor arc is mostly the same, however most of the filler are cut, meaning the only episodes that remain are when they get new Digimon forms, the episode where we find out Ken is the Emperor, the Agumon turns evil subplot, and the Dark Ocean, which is now two parts before the final showdown with the Digimon Emperor.

Episodes 22, 24, 25 and 33 are cut. Black Wargreymon storyline is pretty much the same sans episode 33. The controversial episode 38 never happens, World Tour arc never happens, so instead we get Dragomon and the Dark Ocean invading the real world in a 3-part arc replacing the World Tour arc, and the old Digimon and first generation getting their powers back in response to help the new Digidestined. Daemon Corps arc and Oikawa Arc are merged, with Oikawa appearing at first as a human ally of Daemon with special powers as they try to collect Ken and the Children but then turning against him and revealing himself as Malomyotismon before banishing him to the Dark Ocean. Final battle is same for the most part, however there is no everyone talks the villain to death with hope and kindness, instead, the Digimon gets powered up by the light emitted with the Digivices around the world and BLAST MYOTISMON TO BITS!! There is no crappy epilogue.

So we get 38-45 episodes instead of 50, but quality>>quantity!

However we get a cliffhanger leading to Digimon 03(season 3) where the villains are the Seven Demon Lords, who pretty much are Dark Masters on roids and and the final boss is ZeedMillemummon and Season 4 is Tamers Universe, which isn't changed as it's pretty good. They could introduce Ryo Akiyama here and have him cast out from the Adventure universe and end up in Tamers.
So, discuss Digimon here fellow Digidestined....uh I mean lorians!!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 06-11-2013 at 06:52 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Beside the game, I think the problem of the Digimon cartoon is

Too many characters with their mon.

Too many evolutions.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I like Digimon a lot but I don't think it's fair to call it a Pokemon rip-off because of how the show began evolving after the first season. It became more analogous to anime superhero shows or mech shows over time.

That all said, my most favorite Digimon were obviously the ones from the first season and from Tamers.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:00 PM

Elune

Did anyone else get one of these?

It was like a tamagotchi that could fight each other. I pretty sure it existed before the show.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

I had the black digivice (shut up)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I wear bright colors so you are all just a bunch of darkies.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Yeah, I had two. (It was Gabumon and Agumon.)
Old 06-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Eternal

Just to let you know that THE ONLY reason I made this thread is to shamlessly promote my revision of Season 2.

TROLLED YOU ALL!!!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 06-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Elune

Pointed here from your other thread.

While I think that your version is admittedly an improvement, I think it's missing the main problems (at least, what were the main problems for me as a kid, and what I remember from the complaints from my digimon-watching friends at the time), namely mediocre characterization, very sloppy writing, an odd handling of the premise and rather underwhelming action in the first two arcs. Nearly everyone I knew stopped watching the series before the third arc even began. Those problems aren't exactly easy to fix in a summary though

Also, I'd argue that all the secondary egg evolutions, including the entire dark agumon arc, were filler too. None of the plot points bar the evolutions ever come up again. Even with the ton of cuts and removal of the most controversial episodes, you still end with a poorly told mess, with a ton of non-sensical developments.

I'm still keeping up with the digimon franchise to this very day, so not sure a "nostalgia" thread is for me.

Here's hoping that Young Hunters didn't end the series forever.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Eternal

There is actually a better way for the BlackAgumon arc to work. Have the Agumon actually be a random Digimon that acts like Impmon in tamers, impulsive, aggressive, mischievous and warlike. He gets corrupted into Black Agumon and digivolves into BlackMetalGreymon by the Emperor via a command in the black rings and the Digidestined free him with some help from Tai's Agumon. However, he actually enjoyed being a slave because he had all that power and he was a douche in the first place. So he wanders around the Digital World searching for how to get back his power and is offered the chance by Mummymon and Arukenimon, creations of Daemon with the help of Myotismon posessing Okiawa, along with a vision of Daemon promise of power and becomes the centerpiece for a ritual involving 100 Control Spirals. However, he becomes a pawn to the villains in trying to open a gate to the other six of the Seven Demon Lords. He eventually questions his purpose and ends up like what we see at the end. The Destiny Stones? Through there was no purpose to them in the series, had I been in charge and prevented the disputes between the writers, I would have had them be a barrier preventing the Seven Demon Lords and the Dark Ocean from crossing over to the Digital or real world, the destruction ultimately causes Dagomon to surface in the real world to claim Kairi in my version and opens a tear for Daemon Corps to try to appar in both worlds. The reason that only the Dark Ocean broke out is because the final Stone wasn't destroyed, but the fabric was broken enough for Daemon to operate in the real world and Dagomon to emerge. BWG sacrifices himself to seal the gate to the Seven Demon Lords at the end when he finds out just how much a pawn he really was to Daemon.

And yes, you need a fanfic to fully flesh out what went wrong, and there are a lot of good ones on FF.net! Some goodies include this and

And yeah, turns out some of the Digieggs WERE filler after all, my bad. It's been quite some time since I watched this...

Last edited by xie323; 06-14-2013 at 08:04 PM..
Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 AM

Elune

Bringing this thread to the front page baby!

Anyway, first new digimon of 2014, yet another aegiochusmon variant:

Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 AM

Elune

That thing looks so bastardly evil.

I'm still a Digimon-fan, not of its anime, not of its games (some are fun though), but I'm more fan of the digimon-designs and the concept of digital/intelligent partners for humans.

EDIT:

Wowie, there's new art for Ofanimon Falldown Mode:

Last edited by Jungleluke; 01-22-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 06:06 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

What's the best place to follow Digimon news? Once in a while I get some info on it due to new game releases and such, but I haven't been into the franchise since Dawn and Dusk for the DS.

Tried to play ReDigitize, but the japanese just bothers me too much at this point. I heard there's a sequel coming for the 3DS (japanese exclusive, of course ).

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falarson View Post
What's the best place to follow Digimon news? Once in a while I get some info on it due to new game releases and such, but I haven't been into the franchise since Dawn and Dusk for the DS.

Tried to play ReDigitize, but the japanese just bothers me too much at this point. I heard there's a sequel coming for the 3DS (japanese exclusive, of course ).
http://withthewill.net/forum.php

And wikimon (a 'pedia for Digimon stuff)

EDIT: Dawn and Dusk were soooo good, soooo good.

Last edited by Jungleluke; 01-22-2014 at 06:13 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Christ this makes me feel old.
"I always thought people were essentially bright. Distracted, sure, and weak, and beaten, but never stupid. And then you show them, here's the two people who want to be president. One is evil, but you can deal with him, because he actually harbors beliefs. The other one will tell any lie, wear any mask, to become president, and not only that, he fucking hates you, and he's doing this just so he can make your lives hell. And who do you think they vote for? Stupid."
Old 01-22-2014, 07:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Myotismon. <3
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Myotismon. <3
Who fits you PERFECTLY.

Though I wonder if you like Lucemon too:

They both are 'handsome' and have that mysterious (and evil) vibe.

Last edited by Jungleluke; 01-22-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Old 01-22-2014, 07:55 AM

Elune

I have the red tamers one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:39 AM

World Builder

Runes

Lived in Japan for two years when I was little, was really cool getting cards from the little coin machines whenever we went off base even if we couldn't read em.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 01-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

I do find Lucemon to be rather interesting, yes. Wish to know more about how (and why) he banished the four celestials.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I do find Lucemon to be rather interesting, yes. Wish to know more about how (and why) he banished the four celestials.
Hmmmm?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Arch-Druid

I used to think Digimon was so awesome, I liked the monsters so much more than Pokemon. Then I watched an episode a few months ago and realized how juvenile it was, it was even more juvenile than pokemon, it almost ruined my nostalgia of it.

Don't watch it, just cling to your memories of it.

That aside, art!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eterna View Post
I used to think Digimon was so awesome, I liked the monsters so much more than Pokemon. Then I watched an episode a few months ago and realized how juvenile it was, it was even more juvenile than pokemon, it almost ruined my nostalgia of it.

Don't watch it, just cling to your memories of it.
What series did you see an episode of?

I rewatched all the seasons when I got older, and most of them do hold up surprisingly well. First and fifth series are about as good as I remembered and third and fourth I actually appreciate more then I did as a kid. Only the second series was really worse than I remembered (and considering that I already disliked it as a kid, that says a bit)

Though, to be fair, I did decide to go sub instead of dub after five minutes of terrible jokes, so I do kinda see where you're coming from.

That art is bleedin' fantastic though.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
What series did you see an episode of?

I rewatched all the seasons when I got older, and most of them do hold up surprisingly well. First and fifth series are about as good as I remembered and third and fourth I actually appreciate more then I did as a kid. Only the second series was really worse than I remembered (and considering that I already disliked it as a kid, that says a bit)

Though, to be fair, I did decide to go sub instead of dub after five minutes of terrible jokes, so I do kinda see where you're coming from.

That art is bleedin' fantastic though.
Data Squad and Tamers have a special place in my heart.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM

Eternal

Nobody will ever be able to wipe off my deep love for Tamers

Each character was well developed and the fact that the real world was at stake was such a good touch, the villians arent evil per se but they simply are and I fucking love the protagonists.

Takato is so... flawed in several aspects, he first is enthralled with the idea of digimons being real but then oooo boy reality ensures and it turns into a slight shitfest with the power gamer rika out for blood and the Men in black going at the mons.

Man I really, really like this one, the other protagonists in the series are shonen archetypes (and so is takato in a way) but Takato has to earn his reigns before he can go full "FRIENDSHIP CONQUERS ALL" mode
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.

Tags
geek stuff, perverts, pokemon, rip off, shit nobody cares about, ugly