Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Default Dota2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TsKy...&feature=feedf

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/do...d-of-gamescom/

Here is the link to the trailer and a few screenshots which looks promising (simply praying there are more DotA original heroes since they really need them all implemented).

Saw it linked in the Spam thread but since they are showing it first hand at Gamescom I am sure there will be gameplay fottage coming in the next few days so why not a thread !

It is going to take ALOT for it to compete with LoL outside the DotA fanboys (which i personally think might hate DOTA2 if it adds anything new).

What are you hoping to see out of the gameplay footage?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

I don't know. The trailer looks nice and everything, but I never liked DotA, because it basically shits on Warcraft lore with its "storyline".

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
I don't know. The trailer looks nice and everything, but I never liked DotA, because it basically shits on Warcraft lore with its "storyline".
I wouldn't go that far since the DotA characters only looked like the Warcraft heroes due to the limitations of the engine at the time and with DOTA2 they could make a storyline that works.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:34 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I'm more looking forward to having fantasy models for GMod than the game itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
I wouldn't go that far since the DotA characters only looked like the Warcraft heroes due to the limitations of the engine at the time and with DOTA2 they could make a storyline that works.
Most of the things from Dota2 I've seen indicate they're following the designs from War3 kinda closely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-15-2011, 08:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I'm more looking forward to having fantasy models for GMod than the game itself.

Most of the things from Dota2 I've seen indicate they're following the designs from War3 kinda closely
I noticed that a lot of things from DOTA 2 look pretty War3ish. Kinda like how Heroes of Neworth had so many heroes in it where I was able to go 'That looks very very familiar to a War3 model.' At least League of Legends was a bit more creative. I mean in that CG shit for DOTA2 there's a bestial thing that has a totem for fucks sake and the guy before that with the demon hunter looking glaive. A part of me almost wishes Blizzard could sue for copyright infringement just to due such a lack of creativity.

Last edited by Leviathon; 08-15-2011 at 08:41 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 08:42 PM

Elune

Quote:

I do think Valve getting involved and adding there famous art style to it is what made it look like a Valve's twist to Wc3 heroes but you have to understand how insane DotA fanboys are and how much they HATE change which is there reason for hating on LoL. Making them look at least similar but different will hopefully keep everyone happy but i do agree with HoN... I hate the Forsaken Archer's model so much its stupidly similar http://www.dotallyrad.com/wp-content...akenarcher.png.

LoL becoming massive in the competitive scene has shocked a lot of DotA and HoN fanboys with there only responses being how boring it was watching them fight at Baron....

I think i am one of the few that actually just enjoy MOBA games in general and love all of them .

I am currently playing they take the smart choice and go free to play otherwise they will go into the road block that HoN did.

Last edited by Ku'ja; 08-15-2011 at 08:44 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I've never really thought that Valve has an art style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-15-2011, 08:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've never really thought that Valve has an art style.
You could call it a Team Fortress art style instead of a Valve one but they have been using it quite often with a games like Monday Night Combat and it seems DOTA2. Its probably a art team that are employed by Valve (maybe).
Old 08-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Arch-Druid

I just hope there will be more than just that one map that all these MOBA games have. Atleast LoL is trying out new things with the 3v3 and Dominion maps, I'm just a bit sick of all these games having almost identical maps. Is it really that hard to come up with some that are a bit different while not effecting gamebalance etc.?
I can't wait to see what remains of the HoN community after DOTA2 arrives, LoL has been way more successful due to its accessability and it being less 'hardcore'. With undoubtably many hardcore DOTA players moving over to DOTA2(aspecially after HoN became FTP), it seems HoN has little going for it.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
You could call it a Team Fortress art style instead of a Valve one but they have been using it quite often with a games like Monday Night Combat and it seems DOTA2. Its probably a art team that are employed by Valve (maybe).
Uhm, isn't Valve only one of the publishers on the Monday Night Combat thing? It was developed by Uber Entertainment afaik... So I wouldn't say that Valve was using their artstyle...
Old 08-16-2011, 03:55 AM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
I just hope there will be more than just that one map that all these MOBA games have. Atleast LoL is trying out new things with the 3v3 and Dominion maps, I'm just a bit sick of all these games having almost identical maps. Is it really that hard to come up with some that are a bit different while not effecting gamebalance etc.?
I can't wait to see what remains of the HoN community after DOTA2 arrives, LoL has been way more successful due to its accessability and it being less 'hardcore'. With undoubtably many hardcore DOTA players moving over to DOTA2(aspecially after HoN became FTP), it seems HoN has little going for it.
There have been screenshots confirming 6v6 games which hopefully means 6v6 maps.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:41 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

Am I the only one who feels that it's just wrong Valve are the ones developing this?

I mean, it's like if Blizzard decided to lap up a game based on a Valve mod and sell it as their own.

I know it's irrational and I shouldn't be judging based on which company is developing it but it just feels...so wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Am I the only one who feels that it's just wrong Valve are the ones developing this?

I mean, it's like if Blizzard decided to lap up a game based on a Valve mod and sell it as their own.

I know it's irrational and I shouldn't be judging based on which company is developing it but it just feels...so wrong.
What's wrong is the fact that Icefrog used the name DOTA and basically called it a sequal when he has no rights to the game at all as Guinsoo didn't...

The reason League of Legends was not called DOTA2 was because Guinsoo thought that the title DotA was a community thing and should not of been repeated.

I don't think its actually Defence of the Ancients 2 but simply DOTA2 but it is abit snobby honestly if you ask me since Guinsoo was the one keeping DotA alive from 2003 - 2005 and it was only in 2005 that Icefrog joined in the fray.

Even Blizzard are not calling there game for Sc2 Blizzard DotA... they are calling it Blizzard All-Stars.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 AM

World Builder

Runes

Wasn't Blizz going to make an SC2 mod that was something similar?

With a terran-tech Abomination, and some other stuff?

Or am I crazy?

"Never theorize before you have data. Invariably, you end up twisting facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Wasn't Blizz going to make an SC2 mod that was something similar?

With a terran-tech Abomination, and some other stuff?

Or am I crazy?
Yeah, it is in the works, but appearantly, it proved to need more time than they first thought... Or something like that. But it IS still in development.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by handclaw View Post
Yeah, it is in the works, but appearantly, it proved to need more time than they first thought... Or something like that. But it IS still in development.
Yeah and it looks like its going to have a All-star feel with it being Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft Heroes that are available. That alone will make me enjoy it so much more .
Old 08-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Arch-Druid

Blizzard didn't want to trademark the name DOTA(which was from their game) to give the community the chance to make its mods etc with that in their name. Valve knew this and tried to copyright its name right under Blizzard's nose and there was a whole lawsuit about it. I do think it's pathetic that Valve didn't use another name for it, like LoL/HoN did.
It would be like Blizzard making a Counter-Strike 2.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM

Lord of Time

There is actually some rumors going on right now that Valve is making a new Counter Strike. Gamers have been called in to Valve's headquarters for gametesting of a new game under the project name "Global offensive", and according to leaks this is apparently a new CSS using a brand new Source engine.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Blizzard didn't want to trademark the name DOTA(which was from their game) to give the community the chance to make its mods etc with that in their name. Valve knew this and tried to copyright its name right under Blizzard's nose and there was a whole lawsuit about it. I do think it's pathetic that Valve didn't use another name for it, like LoL/HoN did.
I find it cheap that they took the name when no one actually had rights to it since people dub it the real and only sequel to DotA which causes major amounts of flame in a already messed up community.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Pretty much. It's a little cheap, really. They're taking everything about DOTA - the name, the heroes, the items - and making it their own.

It's funny, Valve has more goodwill with me than Blizzard atm, but I really do think it was a dick move for Valve to lap up DOTA and then chuck the copyright on it. I know someone will argue that it's Blizzard's own fault for not getting to it first, but really, DOTA was designed with a lot of Blizzard's assets; Blizzard's game engine, their map editor, their hero models, their spells and abilities, etc. Really, even if Blizzard didn't want to buy out the map in respect of the community, they are the company who deserve to own the rights to DOTA, not Valve.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Pretty much. It's a little cheap, really. They're taking everything about DOTA - the name, the heroes, the items - and making it their own.

It's funny, Valve has more goodwill with me than Blizzard atm, but I really do think it was a dick move for Valve to lap up DOTA and then chuck the copyright on it. I know someone will argue that it's Blizzard's own fault for not getting to it first, but really, DOTA was designed with a lot of Blizzard's assets; Blizzard's game engine, their map editor, their hero models, their spells and abilities, etc. Really, even if Blizzard didn't want to buy out the map in respect of the community, they are the company who deserve to own the rights to DOTA, not Valve.
If anything it was respect that stopped Blizzard from taking DotA as there own since they knew how popular it was but must of thought it was a community thing as they even employed most of the people working on it.

Other than the name i don't have much of a problem with this game since Icefrog is with Valve so he could have brought most of the champions with him but i know someone who designed one of the heroes in it and its surely not only Icefrog that works on it. People seem to forget that Guinsoo was the guy running it from 2003 - 2005 as well which irritates the shit out of me since they are the "DotA pro's who know it all".
Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm going to refrain from playing it, I'll just wait for Blizzard's free version of it. DOTA but which actual characters from Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo, what is there not to like? I really don't want to play a game like that against/with 'pros' who bitch and whine about everything.

Last edited by Reyson; 08-16-2011 at 07:17 PM..
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

Quote:
I'm going to refrain from playing it, I'll just wait for Blizzard's free version of it. DOTA but which actual characters from Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo, what is there not to like? I really don't want to play a game like that against/with 'pros' who bitch and whine about everything.
Yeah I'm kind of waiting for that one.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm honestly not too hyped for the Blizzard official release.

Unless they have former DOTA devs on it, in which case I may check it out.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Personally I don't really care about DOTA, it killed the custom games in WC3.

Tags
copyright, dota>lol, vidja games