Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Angry The American Politics Thread

This is a thread to talk about anything political, the title is a joke

I'll start with the Nato Summit in my country
Quote:
NATO seeks missile defence agreement with Russia

Earlier, during the NATO summit, Obama said the most important thing he could do for the European economy was to promote growth and jobs in the United States, saying that the quicker the US economy recovered, the better it was for all.

NATO leaders agreed on Friday to develop a missile system to protect the territory of all NATO member states in Europe and North America. It will be capable of intercepting long-range missiles fired from the Middle East.

Russia will be invited to be involved in the system when President Dmitry Medvedev meets US President Barack Obama and other NATO leaders at the summit in Portugal, but it remains unclear what role Moscow might play.

The system would be designed to defend against intercontinental ballistic missiles fired from Iran or North Korea, but Russia is reluctant to join a programme that defines Iran as a potential missile threat.

NATO member Turkey also is opposed to identifying Iran, a neighbour and ally, as a possible aggressor. NATO sources said leaders had agreed not to name Iran in a statement that will refer to the missile shield, securing Turkey's support.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen will hope language can be found to satisfy Russia and make the missile defence cooperation possible.
What do you think of this improvement of cooperation between russia and NATO

Also

ttp://www.nemesisnwo.blogspot.com/

I like this guy even trough he's a bit i think dramatic, he addresses serious points quite effectively

There's also this forum to talk about EU politics i would be thankful if anybody would go in there
http://forum.yoursay.eu/

Last edited by Garotar; 09-18-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Good idea, it will cut down on the amount of threads we need to start, and also free up the Hulk smash thread from the political and religious talk that alot of posters are either sick of or uncomfortable with. I think we should sticky this on a temporary basis and see how it works.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Ireland is bankrupt and asking for a bailout.

They say Portugal is next.

Who is doing the bailing out? Are any of the EU nations really solvent enough to absorb this?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Ireland is bankrupt and asking for a bailout.

They say Portugal is next.

Who is doing the bailing out? Are any of the EU nations really solvent enough to absorb this?
... your knowledge of the European countries is very very low, Ireland is not bankrupt in fact it has much money, the problem is that they have to sell t banks that failed and that incurs debt, and when paying their old debts the markets are asking for irrational interest rates, if it weren't for those stupidly high interest rates based on irrational fears Ireland would not need any type of bailout.

Portugal is next because the markets are irrationally afraid and the rating agencies want to get richer

In fact we have a 750 billion euros (1 trillion dollars) ready to pay any eurozone country that needs a bailout, with a extra 110 billion euros for greece

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...055571/1/.html
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
... your knowledge of the European countries is very very low, Ireland is not bankrupt in fact it has much money, the problem is that they have to sell t banks that failed and that incurs debt, and when paying their old debts the markets are asking for irrational interest rates, if it weren't for those stupidly high interest rates based on irrational fears Ireland would not need any type of bailout.

Portugal is next because the markets are irrationally afraid and the rating agencies want to get richer

In fact we have a 750 billion euros (1 trillion dollars) ready to pay any eurozone country that needs a bailout, with a extra 110 billion euros for greece

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...055571/1/.html
That's sort of why I was asking... I'm well aware that I don't have intimate knowledge of EU politics, and I figured this community would have educated viewpoints on the matter.

How is it interest rates are so bad there? Interest rates here in the US are absurdly low - in fact, I think the Fed is actually trying to get them to move up a bit.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
How is it interest rates are so bad there? Interest rates here in the US are absurdly low - in fact, I think the Fed is actually trying to get them to move up a bit.
I think that's because we actually have the federal reserve to tell us that they're low. I'm not sure what the equivalent body would be in the EU markets or if their function would even cover the same responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's sort of why I was asking... I'm well aware that I don't have intimate knowledge of EU politics, and I figured this community would have educated viewpoints on the matter.

Some of our interest rates have risen to 10%, it's ridiculous high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
I think that's because we actually have the federal reserve to tell us that they're low. I'm not sure what the equivalent body would be in the EU markets or if their function would even cover the same responsibility.
We have the ECB (European Central Bank) which is responsible for the Euro and stopping inflation
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

To answer your original question, Bolvar, it seems like Germany and France are basically propping up the Euro and being used by other (mostly eastern and southern European) states to absorb the fallout of the global recession and prop up the Euro.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
To answer your original question, Bolvar, it seems like Germany and France are basically propping up the Euro and being used by other (mostly eastern and southern European) states to absorb the fallout of the global recession and prop up the Euro.
It's not just germany and france everyone is paying for the Euro, even Portugal is going to give 2 billion to ireland and is supposedly next in line for a bailout
Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Probably the double posting.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM

Elune

Important

Quote:
Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens to debate religion
Graphic showing religion poll results

Former UK prime minister Tony Blair is to take on columnist Christopher Hitchens in a televised public debate for and against religion.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM

Arch-Druid

It is amazing Hitchens is even doing this considering he is in the final stages of a almost certainly terminal cancer. I would love to watch clips of this after it goes down.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
It is amazing Hitchens is even doing this considering he is in the final stages of a almost certainly terminal cancer. I would love to watch clips of this after it goes down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11843586

He's even denying religion on it's deathbed

EDIT: wikileaks is going to release a huge amount of leaks on US diplomacy x7 times more data than the war diaries, the US is already apologising in advance
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
the US is already apologising in advance
Delicious!

I'm enjoying all this news down in the general forum.

Anyone here read the Economist?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Delicious!

I'm enjoying all this news down in the general forum.

Anyone here read the Economist?
No what does it say?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
No what does it say?
The Economist is just a news magazine about the economy and politics. It is very well written.

-

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1p81s1...NewsLinks.html

Why Europeans Think We're Insane
"It wasn't until I left America that I started to realize how badly the American plutocrat owned media lies to the American people through its disinformation campaign."
Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM

Who cares about private banks?
You should have mentioned Ireland getting a bail-out or something.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Who cares about private banks?
You should have mentioned Ireland getting a bail-out or something.
Honestly, are private banks so disconnected from world governments?

I'm really not making a commentary with that link, just sharing something interesting I found.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Honestly, are private banks so disconnected from world governments?

I'm really not making a commentary with that link, just sharing something interesting I found.
Actually, they are, but only in the sense that most international corporations (banks and etc.) are probably more powerful than any single government with the sole exception of China where they take over any corporations that have the potential to destroy them.

Also, in regards to Hitchens, I actually had the chance to see him speak at my University several months ago. Fucking fantastic, and he tore any and all individuals up who were stupid enough to try and pull old propagandist arguments up. Giant asshole, but damn does that man know how to speak/reason.

The Mad Admin
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Actually, they are, but only in the sense that most international corporations (banks and etc.) are probably more powerful than any single government with the sole exception of China where they take over any corporations that have the potential to destroy them.

Also, in regards to Hitchens, I actually had the chance to see him speak at my University several months ago. Fucking fantastic, and he tore any and all individuals up who were stupid enough to try and pull old propagandist arguments up. Giant asshole, but damn does that man know how to speak/reason.
I think the benefits that the banking industry has enjoyed from all these billions of dollars in taxpayer "bailouts" (that have provided no relief to the actual taxpayers) are a clear indication that the banking industry is quite inseparable from the government at this point.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think the benefits that the banking industry has enjoyed from all these billions of dollars in taxpayer "bailouts" (that have provided no relief to the actual taxpayers) are a clear indication that the banking industry is quite inseparable from the government at this point.
We in the EU payed a total of 4.5 trillion to save the banks
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
We in the EU payed a total of 4.5 trillion to save the banks
Well, I suppose there's some comfort in the knowledge that this isn't an exclusively American problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, I suppose there's some comfort in the knowledge that this isn't an exclusively American problem.
Well america infected us with it's problems, no wonder it's not a exclusively american problem
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Warden

Quote:
Well america infected us with it's problems, no wonder it's not a exclusively american problem
http://images2.memegenerator.net/oka...mThumbnail.jpg

Last edited by Warlock; 05-21-2014 at 06:10 AM..

Tags
ammosexuals on the loose, austria-hungary = usa, errthang be whiteys fault, guns from canada are ok, hyperbole, hypobole, jealous euros', murrica fuck yeah, railguns, serious business, trump with nukes, we wuz kangz n shiet