Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Arch-Druid

Default The Europa Universalis III-IV and other Paradox Games Thread

To not risk necromancy with the previous Paradox Interactive Games thread, I've decided to create a new one. So, fellow Paradox geeks, the hour is approaches for the 4th installment of the classic Grand Strategy Game. What changes and improvements over EU-III would you like to see?

I really like the new trade route system that will be available. It will give players an incentive to control strategically-located provinces rather than randomly annexing the shit out of everyone. It really gives meaning to trade in the game and makes it more realistic, rather than EU-III's arbitrary mechanic of sending invisible merchants to centres of trade.

One thing that irks me about non-modded EU-III is how dealt with the available nations in the Indonesian islands. Majapahit is supposed to be bigger than it is and it is supposed to control many small vassals. West Java is not supposed to be uninhabited: the Kingdom of Sunda somehow doesn't exist. Worst of all, they've got the cultures completely wrong. The people of Majapahit aren't Sulawesi people, they're Javanese! Fortunately, I've seen that the Death and Taxes mod fixed this by adding extra kingdoms to make it more historically accurate, so let's see if Paradox takes notice of this.

So, what are your opinions and wishes for the upcoming game?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

You absolute jerk, I just revived an older inappropriate thread to talk about Victoria and here you are making the perfect thread that I was looking for!

Last edited by Shaman; 04-26-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
You absolute jerk, I just revived an older inappropriate thread to talk about Victoria and here you are making the perfect the thread that I was looking for!

Sarahmoo gains the Diplomatic Insult Cassus Belli against Chef.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post

Sarahmoo gains the Diplomatic Insult Cassus Belli against Chef.
I hope you enjoy Aztecs, because they're going to be EVERYWHERE for this.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Anybody else excited for East vs West?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Hearts of Iron is the biggest of the Paradox games that I haven't played yet. I started off on EU, then I worked my way over to Crusader Kings on the Steam sales and I'm just now starting explore the Victoria series. I'm a bit put off by the modern industrial setting of HOI and EvW, but I'll definitely try them out eventually.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:09 PM

Arch-Druid

I wouldn't see why the industrial setting would turn you off. The point of the game is to experience and shape history itself, whether or not you prefer one time period over another depends on the person, but the game and core mechanics remain fundamentally the same.

I'm just eager to whether they've got the balls to do a game set in our contemporary, post-Cold War, 21st Century era sometime in the future. What will the game be about? The United States being the dominant superpower at the beginning and slowly being taken over by other big developing nations would be an interesting scenario.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't see why the industrial setting would turn you off. The point of the game is to experience and shape history itself, whether or not you prefer one time period over another depends on the person, but the game and core mechanics remain fundamentally the same.

I'm just eager to whether they've got the balls to do a game set in our contemporary, post-Cold War, 21st Century era sometime in the future. What will the game be about? The United States being the dominant superpower at the beginning and slowly being taken over by other big developing nations would be an interesting scenario.
How do they factor nukes into East v. West?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Nukes will be a weapon of last resort, as in, when everything else fails, when your economy is in ruins and your people rebel, if you're a nuke country you'll have the option of ending it all. At a grave cost of course. I think by now they've already figured a way to discourage players from using nukes as much as possible, like what happened in the real world.

That aside, forgive me from being an ad-whore, but, I'm a sucker for free stuff: sign up to the link below, click on the link in the e-mail sent to you, and help Chef get free DLC plus some extra bonuses for EU-IV! It would be nice if we could get the trip to Sweden, though, I highly doubt it.

http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/6997df307ce
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Elune

It's true you'll be able to import your save from CK2 to EU4, right?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:22 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
It's true you'll be able to import your save from CK2 to EU4, right?
There's usually mods that let you do that anyway. You can technically play the same game all the way from CK2 to EU3 to V2.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 AM

Arch-Druid

I despise rebels. Whenever I crush an uprising another one rises up across the ocean, and when I'm done with that another one spawns. God...
Old 04-27-2013, 08:30 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949
Send a message via MSN to Xarthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
There's usually mods that let you do that anyway. You can technically play the same game all the way from CK2 to EU3 to V2.
With that Cold War game coming up, you should technically be able to go all the way from 1066 (or did they move CK2's date back already?) to 1989.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
With that Cold War game coming up, you should technically be able to go all the way from 1066 (or did they move CK2's date back already?) to 1989.
There's an expansion called The Old Gods that allows you to play from the 9th century as pagan European kingdoms. Imagine importing a pagan Empire to Hearts of Iron.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Elder Kings the Crusader Kings 2 Alpha mod.. no more needs to be said !! Cannot wait for the upcoming Europa game though..
Old 04-27-2013, 09:19 AM

Eternal

I'm so FUCKING HYPED.

Also, they have been talking about and wanting to do a importer from CKII to EUIV. (The actual develop team)

So they may be able to actually do it.

The only problem I really have with Paradox is HoI III, without the expansions.

It's just so URG.

Also the fuck does Romania and Poland have the 'Deh' in the Russian/Cyrilic alphabet? Is that suppose to be cute?

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Eliphas View Post
The only problem I really have with Paradox is HoI III, without the expansions
That means that we'll eventually get a Hearts of Iron IV, right? Right..?

On another note, they've stated that East vs West will be a separate game from Hearts of Iron, rather than an expansion. Which is weird, since its full title is East vs West: A Hearts of Iron game.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
That means that we'll eventually get a Hearts of Iron IV, right? Right..?

On another note, they've stated that East vs West will be a separate game from Hearts of Iron, rather than an expansion. Which is weird, since its full title is East vs West: A Hearts of Iron game.
Its a spin-off from the main series in the same way that Europa Universalis: Rome was.

Last edited by Shaman; 04-27-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949
Send a message via MSN to Xarthat

Quote:
There's an expansion called The Old Gods that allows you to play from the 9th century as pagan European kingdoms. Imagine importing a pagan Empire to Hearts of Iron.
I don't know if there would be any parts of the world left outside your country if you played straight from 9th century.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Does anyone here (besides Sarah, who has already shown us the glory that is the British Empire in continental Europe) wish to show screenshots of their EU games?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:18 PM

Eternal

I will.

When I put in my EUIII again.

Also, what is HOI III good with the expansions?

It just seems needlessly complex.

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 AM

The Sun King

I like that they are at least trying to expand a little more on the Eastern Europe.

What I really hope for:

-Change the borders in Transylvania/Moldova/Banat. As it is currently, I can't make cute Romanian borders without going too much into Hungary (The Szolnok's part of Crisana) and Serbia (a lot of Banat); and the Principality of Moldova (with Iasi and all) is inexplicably contained in Northern Bessarabia and nothing more, while the actual Moldova is in Transylvania province.

-Check the cultures. No, Zaporozhian Cossacks were not tatars. And Crimean Tatars are a different ethnic group from Kazan ones. And we don't need the Poles in Volhynia, or Baltic Lithuanians in Grodno.

-Province borders: I'm glad that Ukraine is getting an overhaul, but there is also a mess in Russian principalities. Muscovy is an obvious leader (while Tver, the underdog, was actually its rival for some time)

-Muscovy was still Muscovy during Ivan IV's reign. Peter I should be the one to tagchange it into the Russian Empire.

-I'd appreciate if the Cossack Hetmanate was included, as it was quite big and important in several big wars of 17-18th centuries. I've never understood why does the game have an UKR tag but no actual Ukraine to fill it with.

-Perhaps make more changes in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania? The dominant culture there was, one way or another, Slavic, not Baltic. Perhaps they could simply delete the Byelorussian culture like the Ukrainian one, as the two weren't called as such in Late Medieval. Instead, leave Ruthenian culture in Ukraine, while Belarus may be the core land of Litvin culture, the dominant one in GDL. In the meantime, create Samogitia for the Baltic Lithuanian culture to emerge as. Then, after the Commonwealth is divided, leave the Litvin culture Polotsk-only, while Lithuania has its primary culture changed into Lithuanian, - showing the changes that happened to the toponyms during their stay in the Russian Empire.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:47 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM

The Sun King

Down with the Blue Blob! VICTORY FOR BURGUNDY!
Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM

Arch-Druid

I've actually gotten into this weird situation where I, as the Netherlands, am both allied to Great Britain AND France. It's inevitable that both of them will fight each other in the future and I'll have to pick sides...

Tags
best game ever, politics, vidja games