Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-13-2014, 05:08 PM

Eternal

Default The SHIELDAct

The prosperity and security of the US depends on its electrical grid. This is ensures that our machines continue running, that hospitals are able to treat people, that food is able to be shipped, and so forth.

Unfortunately, this is also something of an achilles' heel. The grid could be badly disrupted by an EMP (electro-magnetic pulse, though I'm assuming you all know what that is). Certain types of solar activity may also cause problems.

Now, a shutdown is much worse than just an inconvenience. If electric systems are inoperable, so too will many of our vehicles. This means that food can't be shipped. Since it may take years for the grid to be fully repaired, this will result in massive starvation in many parts of the country. There will also be a breakdown of order, rampant disease, and potentially nuclear meltdowns (as the nuclear plants can no longer run as intended).

This is why I urge those of you who are US citizens to advocate for the SHIELDAct. This act works to: "cooperation between industry and government in the development, promulgation, and implementation of standards and processes that are necessary to address the current shortcomings and vulnerabilities of the electric grid from a major EMP event".

You can learn more about it here: http://www.shieldact.com/about-the-shield-act/

And support it here: http://www.shieldact.com/status-widget/

Generally, online support doesn't mean very much. I am going to send a physical letter to my representative in addition to sending the online form. This will cost money, but it's for a worthwhile cause.

Also, posters from other countries who are aware of similar movements in their homelands should post links to them here. I know we have a lot of Canadians, Brits, and Germans among others. This is something everyone should be prepared for.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Elune

I learned about all this kind of stuff. A high altitude nuclear explosion above Kansas would wipe out the entire US power grid.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
I learned about all this kind of stuff. A high altitude nuclear explosion above Kansas would wipe out the entire US power grid.
Which is why this is important.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-13-2014, 05:14 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
The prosperity and security of the US depends on its electrical grid. This is ensures that our machines continue running, that hospitals are able to treat people, that food is able to be shipped, and so forth.

Unfortunately, this is also something of an achilles' heel. The grid could be badly disrupted by an EMP (electro-magnetic pulse, though I'm assuming you all know what that is). Certain types of solar activity may also cause problems.

Now, a shutdown is much worse than just an inconvenience. If electric systems are inoperable, so too will many of our vehicles. This means that food can't be shipped. Since it may take years for the grid to be fully repaired, this will result in massive starvation in many parts of the country. There will also be a breakdown of order, rampant disease, and potentially nuclear meltdowns (as the nuclear plants can no longer run as intended).

This is why I urge those of you who are US citizens to advocate for the SHIELDAct. This act works to: "cooperation between industry and government in the development, promulgation, and implementation of standards and processes that are necessary to address the current shortcomings and vulnerabilities of the electric grid from a major EMP event".

You can learn more about it here: http://www.shieldact.com/about-the-shield-act/

And support it here: http://www.shieldact.com/status-widget/

Generally, online support doesn't mean very much. I am going to send a physical letter to my representative in addition to sending the online form. This will cost money, but it's for a worthwhile cause.

Also, posters from other countries who are aware of similar movements in their homelands should post links to them here. I know we have a lot of Canadians, Brits, and Germans among others. This is something everyone should be prepared for.

Why wasn't this shit done decades ago during the fucking Cold War? Hell, if I was going to destroy the world, I'd build a satellite that could blanket the world in a massive EMP pulse that would fry every electronic thing almost instantly.

“Weakness and ambivalence lead to war.” - George H.W. Bush
Old 04-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post

Why wasn't this shit done decades ago during the fucking Cold War? Hell, if I was going to destroy the world, I'd build a satellite that could blanket the world in a massive EMP pulse that would fry every electronic thing almost instantly.
Most military stuff is already EMP proof.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post

For once, Ganishka has a point. This seems like a much better usage of tax dollars then Star Wars was.

I'm posting some of my poetry now! Yay!
Old 04-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Eternal

As PajamaSalad said, military stuff is generally EMP proof. However, this is also important for the civilian power grid.

I don't know if there are any movements like this in Canada or Mexico (I know the systems in both countries are different, but there might be groups agitating for such measures). Those who are aware should post links to them. Anything like this that hits the US will hit Canada and Mexico as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:19 PM

Elune

So, congress has moved into the lucrative realm of movie tie-ins?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM

Elune

That's actually pretty scary. Surprised no terrorist group tried to achieve this.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
That's actually pretty scary. Surprised no terrorist group tried to achieve this.
They don't have a bomb yet. I am sure they want to.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Who's to say they never tried? They were never sucessful to get the tech to get there.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
They don't have a bomb yet. I am sure they want to.
I don't imagine the bomb is as much of a problem as a delivery system. To get a large-scale EMP you need to detonate in the high atmosphere. The necessary altitude combined with the distance involved means you need to have either an ICBM launcher or space flight capability. Compared to setting the infrastructure up to support that, building a nuke is child's play.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I don't imagine the bomb is as much of a problem as a delivery system. To get a large-scale EMP you need to detonate in the high atmosphere. The necessary altitude combined with the distance involved means you need to have either an ICBM launcher or space flight capability. Compared to setting the infrastructure up to support that, building a nuke is child's play.
I just meant they don't have the capability but I am sure they have the desire.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Eternal

No terrorist groups currently have the capability (that we know of). I'll go so far as to say that, given the difficulty of obtaining a working delivery system, it's not the most likely. However, terrorists do have the desire, and 9/11 wasn't very likely either; it still happened.

There's the possibility of attacks on individual power stations. This actually has happened in San Jose, CA, about a year ago. The perpetrators were never found.

Also, certain kinds of solar activity can cause widespread electrical damage. I think the SHIELDAct is estimated to cost a billion dollars, which is not really that much by US standards (admittedly, this is a government cost estimate, so more like at least three times that much, but even so that's not too bad).

Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
I just meant they don't have the capability but I am sure they have the desire.
I'm sure there's lots of things they have the desire to do that involve orbital launch capability, all of which are about as likely. Solar activity, though, is something that could cause legitimate problems with the power grid.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Most military stuff is already EMP proof.
Yes, but through which method? Material shielding?, Magnetic shielding? etc. The method is important for it to be efficiently usable in civilian services.
Things I could like again with Warcraft if done right: High elves, Draenei, Wildhammers, Stromgarde and the Alliance.
Things I like the least with Warcraft: Blood elves, Forsaken, Orcs and the Horde.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Eternal

I sent a letter to my representative via snail mail. They're more likely to read that than an email, supposedly. Anyone else?

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

Elune

I'm surprised the 2004 (think it was 2004) blackout didn't push people to want our grid infrastructure to be brought up to date. Just 1 little problem here in Ohio brought down the power of most the eastern US.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Rufin#1220

I thought this was going to be about Marvel's Civil War.

This shit is boring.

Fuck y'all.
Old Today, 12:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Honestly, striking at Walk Street would probably achieve even greater damages to the whole world, if they managed to take control, if only for a while, of the financial system.