Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Angry The American Politics Thread

This is a thread to talk about anything political, the title is a joke

I'll start with the Nato Summit in my country
Quote:
NATO seeks missile defence agreement with Russia

Earlier, during the NATO summit, Obama said the most important thing he could do for the European economy was to promote growth and jobs in the United States, saying that the quicker the US economy recovered, the better it was for all.

NATO leaders agreed on Friday to develop a missile system to protect the territory of all NATO member states in Europe and North America. It will be capable of intercepting long-range missiles fired from the Middle East.

Russia will be invited to be involved in the system when President Dmitry Medvedev meets US President Barack Obama and other NATO leaders at the summit in Portugal, but it remains unclear what role Moscow might play.

The system would be designed to defend against intercontinental ballistic missiles fired from Iran or North Korea, but Russia is reluctant to join a programme that defines Iran as a potential missile threat.

NATO member Turkey also is opposed to identifying Iran, a neighbour and ally, as a possible aggressor. NATO sources said leaders had agreed not to name Iran in a statement that will refer to the missile shield, securing Turkey's support.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen will hope language can be found to satisfy Russia and make the missile defence cooperation possible.
What do you think of this improvement of cooperation between russia and NATO

Also

ttp://www.nemesisnwo.blogspot.com/

I like this guy even trough he's a bit i think dramatic, he addresses serious points quite effectively

There's also this forum to talk about EU politics i would be thankful if anybody would go in there
http://forum.yoursay.eu/
__________________

Last edited by Garotar; 09-18-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
jjstraka jjstraka is offline

Arch-Druid
jjstraka's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,158

Default

Good idea, it will cut down on the amount of threads we need to start, and also free up the Hulk smash thread from the political and religious talk that alot of posters are either sick of or uncomfortable with. I think we should sticky this on a temporary basis and see how it works.
__________________
I used to say "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Ireland is bankrupt and asking for a bailout.

They say Portugal is next.

Who is doing the bailing out? Are any of the EU nations really solvent enough to absorb this?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Ireland is bankrupt and asking for a bailout.

They say Portugal is next.

Who is doing the bailing out? Are any of the EU nations really solvent enough to absorb this?
... your knowledge of the European countries is very very low, Ireland is not bankrupt in fact it has much money, the problem is that they have to sell t banks that failed and that incurs debt, and when paying their old debts the markets are asking for irrational interest rates, if it weren't for those stupidly high interest rates based on irrational fears Ireland would not need any type of bailout.

Portugal is next because the markets are irrationally afraid and the rating agencies want to get richer

In fact we have a 750 billion euros (1 trillion dollars) ready to pay any eurozone country that needs a bailout, with a extra 110 billion euros for greece

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...055571/1/.html
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
... your knowledge of the European countries is very very low, Ireland is not bankrupt in fact it has much money, the problem is that they have to sell t banks that failed and that incurs debt, and when paying their old debts the markets are asking for irrational interest rates, if it weren't for those stupidly high interest rates based on irrational fears Ireland would not need any type of bailout.

Portugal is next because the markets are irrationally afraid and the rating agencies want to get richer

In fact we have a 750 billion euros (1 trillion dollars) ready to pay any eurozone country that needs a bailout, with a extra 110 billion euros for greece

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...055571/1/.html
That's sort of why I was asking... I'm well aware that I don't have intimate knowledge of EU politics, and I figured this community would have educated viewpoints on the matter.

How is it interest rates are so bad there? Interest rates here in the US are absurdly low - in fact, I think the Fed is actually trying to get them to move up a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Rashid Rashid is offline

Arch-Druid
Rashid's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,448

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
How is it interest rates are so bad there? Interest rates here in the US are absurdly low - in fact, I think the Fed is actually trying to get them to move up a bit.
I think that's because we actually have the federal reserve to tell us that they're low. I'm not sure what the equivalent body would be in the EU markets or if their function would even cover the same responsibility.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
That's sort of why I was asking... I'm well aware that I don't have intimate knowledge of EU politics, and I figured this community would have educated viewpoints on the matter.

How is it interest rates are so bad there? Interest rates here in the US are absurdly low - in fact, I think the Fed is actually trying to get them to move up a bit.
Some of our interest rates have risen to 10%, it's ridiculous high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid View Post
I think that's because we actually have the federal reserve to tell us that they're low. I'm not sure what the equivalent body would be in the EU markets or if their function would even cover the same responsibility.
We have the ECB (European Central Bank) which is responsible for the Euro and stopping inflation
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 32,894
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

To answer your original question, Bolvar, it seems like Germany and France are basically propping up the Euro and being used by other (mostly eastern and southern European) states to absorb the fallout of the global recession and prop up the Euro.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
To answer your original question, Bolvar, it seems like Germany and France are basically propping up the Euro and being used by other (mostly eastern and southern European) states to absorb the fallout of the global recession and prop up the Euro.
It's not just germany and france everyone is paying for the Euro, even Portugal is going to give 2 billion to ireland and is supposedly next in line for a bailout
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Yuber8900 Yuber8900 is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Yuber8900's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,644

Default

Probably the double posting.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Important

Quote:
Tony Blair and Christopher Hitchens to debate religion
Graphic showing religion poll results

Former UK prime minister Tony Blair is to take on columnist Christopher Hitchens in a televised public debate for and against religion.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM
jjstraka jjstraka is offline

Arch-Druid
jjstraka's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,158

Default

It is amazing Hitchens is even doing this considering he is in the final stages of a almost certainly terminal cancer. I would love to watch clips of this after it goes down.
__________________
I used to say "sex, drugs, and rock and roll." As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without rock and roll.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
It is amazing Hitchens is even doing this considering he is in the final stages of a almost certainly terminal cancer. I would love to watch clips of this after it goes down.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11843586

He's even denying religion on it's deathbed

EDIT: wikileaks is going to release a huge amount of leaks on US diplomacy x7 times more data than the war diaries, the US is already apologising in advance
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Timolas Timolas is offline


Timolas's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Malta
Posts: 12,472
Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
the US is already apologising in advance
Delicious!

I'm enjoying all this news down in the general forum.

Anyone here read the Economist?
__________________
There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Delicious!

I'm enjoying all this news down in the general forum.

Anyone here read the Economist?
No what does it say?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Timolas Timolas is offline


Timolas's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Malta
Posts: 12,472
Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
No what does it say?
The Economist is just a news magazine about the economy and politics. It is very well written.


-

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1p81s1...NewsLinks.html

Why Europeans Think We're Insane
"It wasn't until I left America that I started to realize how badly the American plutocrat owned media lies to the American people through its disinformation campaign."
__________________
There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Timolas Timolas is offline


Timolas's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Malta
Posts: 12,472
Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Default

Who cares about private banks?
You should have mentioned Ireland getting a bail-out or something.
__________________
There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Who cares about private banks?
You should have mentioned Ireland getting a bail-out or something.
Honestly, are private banks so disconnected from world governments?

I'm really not making a commentary with that link, just sharing something interesting I found.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 9,300
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Honestly, are private banks so disconnected from world governments?

I'm really not making a commentary with that link, just sharing something interesting I found.
Actually, they are, but only in the sense that most international corporations (banks and etc.) are probably more powerful than any single government with the sole exception of China where they take over any corporations that have the potential to destroy them.

Also, in regards to Hitchens, I actually had the chance to see him speak at my University several months ago. Fucking fantastic, and he tore any and all individuals up who were stupid enough to try and pull old propagandist arguments up. Giant asshole, but damn does that man know how to speak/reason.
__________________
Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

The Mad Admin
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Actually, they are, but only in the sense that most international corporations (banks and etc.) are probably more powerful than any single government with the sole exception of China where they take over any corporations that have the potential to destroy them.

Also, in regards to Hitchens, I actually had the chance to see him speak at my University several months ago. Fucking fantastic, and he tore any and all individuals up who were stupid enough to try and pull old propagandist arguments up. Giant asshole, but damn does that man know how to speak/reason.
I think the benefits that the banking industry has enjoyed from all these billions of dollars in taxpayer "bailouts" (that have provided no relief to the actual taxpayers) are a clear indication that the banking industry is quite inseparable from the government at this point.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I think the benefits that the banking industry has enjoyed from all these billions of dollars in taxpayer "bailouts" (that have provided no relief to the actual taxpayers) are a clear indication that the banking industry is quite inseparable from the government at this point.
We in the EU payed a total of 4.5 trillion to save the banks
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,564

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
We in the EU payed a total of 4.5 trillion to save the banks
Well, I suppose there's some comfort in the knowledge that this isn't an exclusively American problem.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Well, I suppose there's some comfort in the knowledge that this isn't an exclusively American problem.
Well america infected us with it's problems, no wonder it's not a exclusively american problem
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Hidden Hidden is offline

Warden
Hidden's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gnomeregan
Posts: 768

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Well america infected us with it's problems, no wonder it's not a exclusively american problem
http://images2.memegenerator.net/oka...mThumbnail.jpg
__________________

Last edited by Warlock; 05-21-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ammosexuals on the loose, austria-hungary = usa, errthang be whiteys fault, guns from canada are ok, hyperbole, hypobole, jealous euros', murrica fuck yeah, railguns, serious business, trump with nukes, we wuz kangz n shiet

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.