Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Haste Let's talk about Science!

Science! Let's talk about it. Biology, physics, chemistry, astrophysics ... whatever! Do you have a favourite branch of science? Any favourite scientists? Maybe just random part of science that you find neat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."

I'm most interested in astrophysics, it's why I study it. I think that Isaac Newton is probably the "greatest" physicist due to the scope of his achievements, but I also have a fond spot for scientists who are still able to successfully articulate science in a way that is comprehensive and yet comprehensible (e.g. Neil deGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan). I just find the scale and depth of the Universe to be so jaw-droppingly terrifying and unequivocally beautiful and when you get to that realization, it compels you to find out more.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Bolvar's FanFiction Index
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

She blinded me with science!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM

Lord of Time

I'm sorry, but this had to be posted at some point.

Einstein vs Stephen Hawking

{ Bronze Dragons fly at 88 mph }
Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 AM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

See, now I feel bad, because I think Sarah wanted to have an actual intelligent conversation, and I immediately dragged it down to "stupid" and it's stuck there now.

I'll throw this little tidbit out there:

I don't think Carl Sagan was an actual scientist. I think he was a very good student and teacher of science, but what he was really good at was presentation.

Bolvar's FanFiction Index
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I'm most interested in astrophysics, it's why I study it.
I'm actually a physics student too, planning to go into theoretical physics in my master's. My love for astrophysics was pretty much what brought me into this, and I'll see if next year I can score myself an internship at my uni's astrophysics lab.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM

Arch-Druid

I had wanted to study physics when I was in middle school, but ended up being more interested in the more practical CS in high school, and finally settling on a more versatile engineering degree in undergraduate university.

Still, I've always thought that astrophysics was incredibly interesting, especially when I saw how elegantly it all works. I always had a thing for math, and seeing physics work so cleanly on a scale that my mind can't full comprehend was a cool feeling. I think for that reason one of my favorite scientists was Maxwell for the incredible amount of vision that he had, and since it was his work that allowed Einstein and others to make the discoveries that they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Molecular biology student right here. But I do have some passing interest in astrophysics. However I like that in studing it you find out that life is stranger than fiction. The visble universe is less than10% of the universe, 25% is dark matter (I love how astro physics give these things names, it seems less pompus than the biology names but if you know a little Latin and Greek it's the same shit) and 75% is dark energy. So named I guess because we know shit about them. Like in the dark ages people knew jack shit.

Just like you astro physic guys like looking on the universe biologists do that too in that biology is a complex system within living things and how they use the laws of physics to arrange things to their needs. Like for example how do we use food to get energy, we use enzymes to break the covalent bonds which have that good source of energy, we also can cut some bonds to make ions which drive bio-electricity where our nerves fire from.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I like science. I always liked genetics but I dislike biology so, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-29-2011, 06:51 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

I was never much interested in science, but I got decent grades in it (A- or better). I do like biology, though.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: A big point of nothing in space and time (i.e. Brisbane, Australia)

I'm terrible at science. The only science I know anything about is sound acoustics, and even then that's only for music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchrono View Post
Shut up and get in the bag, new guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithon1 View Post
At least people notice me now. ;-;
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Arch-Druid

astrophysics ftw.

i rocked science in elementary & high school, but still chose economics as my college (you can't do anything meaningful with any science college here)
loved chemistry aswell, organic chem was a bit of pain in the ass though. as for biology, genetics & selective breeding as direct proof that evolution can and does happen were two of my most favorite parts of it.

i dislike newton, for his view of gravity was too simplistic. he did make a huge step forward at his time, but compared to what we know now, he was simply wrong in a few things.
favourite scientist? probably hawking, perhaps even michio kaku.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Elune

"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Wasn't Thoradin a dwarf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via AIM to Kakwakas Send a message via MSN to Kakwakas

Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08/cosmos-to-get-a-sequel-hosted-by-neil-degrasse-tyson/

Cosmos Will Get a Sequel Hosted by Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I'm trying to build a Zeppelin in my backyard. Then I'm going to make it legal.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert...rt/experiment/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Chris Metzen: Isn't Theramore a Stormwind military outpost? ...from, uh, Cataclysm? ...No?

Fojar: No, Theramore was a city-state packed with civilians, and, in fact, it was the leader of the Alliance in vanilla WoW and almost through Wrath of the Lich King.

Chris Metzen: Right, of course. Uh. Yeah, Fargo, what's up with that?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

I literally grew up on physics (low and high energy, astro, and quantum were my favorites) and bio (epidemiology especially). The only reason I didn't go into physics was my epic failure at math, and bio is really just applied chemistry at the levels where you're apt to make money.

I still get random urges to surf wikipedia for physics, bio, and other science facts though. Well that and I have pocket notebooks filled with random invention/engineering ideas alongside psych theories (another field that's just applied biochemistry at the level of real research).

The Mad Admin
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Elune

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 PM

Elune

Has anyone ever read about afterlife research? I'm not sure if the existence of an afterlife is to be readily believed just yet, but so much evidence that points to the possible existence of an afterlife is really amazing.

http://www.nderf.org/
Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Has anyone ever read about afterlife research? I'm not sure if the existence of an afterlife is to be readily believed just yet, but so much evidence that points to the possible existence of an afterlife is really amazing.

http://www.nderf.org/
My main concern regarding an afterlife is that it's possible that it's shit, like if you go to hell.

I'd rather cease to exist than face the possibility of being in pain or torment for eternity, especially when you consider that Hell is probably a word that refers to the awareness of nonexistance.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Wasn't Thoradin a dwarf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Most near-death experiences can be easily explained, chemicals getting sent to your brains to stop you from the pain or your body 'shortcircuiting'. The reason why many people see it as the same things is probably because it's an image that was put into your mind of how it should look like. Similarly, if you let someone imagine an alien, you'll probably get something along the lines of little green men or atleast something that still looks pretty human.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyson View Post
Most near-death experiences can be easily explained, chemicals getting sent to your brains to stop you from the pain or your body 'shortcircuiting'. The reason why many people see it as the same things is probably because it's an image that was put into your mind of how it should look like. Similarly, if you let someone imagine an alien, you'll probably get something along the lines of little green men or atleast something that still looks pretty human.
I recall seeing something about that on National Geographic. Basically it comes down to a dying brain and is actually very similar to REM sleep. So you more or less are dreaming that near death experience and if it wasn't just near death and you died it would just end. Of course a lot of people who have NED then attribute it to something more.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:46 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
Do you have a favourite branch of science?
Evolutionary biology, zoology, and paleontology. I'm particularly interested in phylogenetics and systematics. But I am strictly a layman with a lifelong interest in these fields.
Discussing the lore is enough for him. A master of facts and reason. Words are his weapons of choice. He deftly posts snide comments with deep-biting cynicism. His ego is healthy enough that he does not need to take online tests and post the results in his signature to gain a sense of identity or self-worth. He also probably did not take this test over again until he got the results he wanted. The Guy Who Didn't Take the 'RPG Personality Test' strives for logic, truth, and sanity above all else.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I recall seeing something about that on National Geographic. Basically it comes down to a dying brain and is actually very similar to REM sleep. So you more or less are dreaming that near death experience and if it wasn't just near death and you died it would just end. Of course a lot of people who have NED then attribute it to something more.
Actually if you read enough research into near-death experiences, that's not exactly the case. Certain near-death experiences occur even while the person is literally dead for a while before coming back to life, especially when the brain dies for a short time. In fact, here's an article about it:

http://near-death.com/experiences/evidence01.html

Right now the battle between believers and skeptics of the afterlife has been at a stalemate. Not many know for sure quite yet if an afterlife really exists but the evidence that points to the possibility of one shouldn't be entirely dismissed outright.

I suppose that's why you said most as well Reyson. I would say yes most NDE's can be easily explained, but there are others that doctors have yet to truly understand. I think the chemical you're talking about is DMT, a drug which induces hallucinogens in the brain when dying or near-death. I do believe there's a good documentary about that I'll fetch it.

http://thespiritmolecule.com/

Last edited by Lord Grimtale; 08-09-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Tags
nazja's teleportation tag, realspace, science, yeah mr white, yeah science