Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

So Aldrius are you ever going to do Alliance and Horde like you did Forsaken and Night Elves?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:00 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
So Aldrius are you ever going to do Alliance and Horde like you did Forsaken and Night Elves?
Yeah, been thinking a little bit about it.

I'm actually stumped as to what I'd CHANGE mostly.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:30 PM

Elune

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Yeah, been thinking a little bit about it.

I'm actually stumped as to what I'd CHANGE mostly.
Well with the humans you could take away all of the elven units and just replace them with dwarf, human, or gnome units.

You could sex up some of the Alliance units like the Knight by giving him a charge like ability.

Maybe make the dwarven tank like the Terran siege tank having a stationary anti unit aoe canon mode and then an anti building ramming mode, that would make it also take the role of the Mortar team.

Maybe a dwarven melee unit other than the Mountain King(which should stay a hero IMO).

Maybe have a Barracks that wil create human units, so maybe footmen knights and priests.

Then a dwarven structure that trains dwarven units, Mountaineers, dwarven melee unit, and gryphons.

And then a Tech Lab or something that creates gnomish and tech units, so maybe a Mage, a tank, and a robot or something.

Just some ideas.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:

You could sex up some of the Alliance units
All Alliance units are now female. With gigantic boobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well the changes I made weren't focused so much on races, but on gameplay with flavour changes where appropriate.

One thought I had was to add a Varian-type hero (probably be a dwarf in multiplayer). The berzerker.

Abilities:

Heroic Throw

The Berzerker throws his weapon at a target enemy, striking all enemies behind him in a line. (So like Shockwave I guess)

Heroic Charge

Berzerker pounces at a single target enemy unit. (Basically like Blink, but must be targeted to an enemy unit) Stunning all nearby enemies in the process for 3/5/8 seconds.

Heroic Aura

The Berzerker inspires all nearby friendly units. Increasing their... I'm not sure. The human's main theme is solid units with slow movement speed and lots of defensive-focus. I guess this could improve their damage and gives their attacks a slow-aspect. (That might be too strong, though.)

Ultimate is Avatar

The Berzerker channels the spirits of his ancestors, transforming him into a giant stone version of himself.

Paladin and Archmage would be relatively unchanged, except Devotion Aura would gain a movement speed boost, and the Paladin would ride a horse, while the Archmage would lose his horse.

Units at the Barracks would be the same. I think I'd probably give the Rifleman something. As it is, he's pretty much identical to the Archer/Blood Archer/Headhunter. So it'd probably be some sort of ability... but again, defensive focus. So... I dunno. Maybe 'bunker down' increases their attack damage but greatly reduces their movement speed. I think that could work. Knights having the charge ability could work really well. I can't think of who else would get that power.

Casters would be very similar, the human casters are pretty iconic. You'd have... lesse... draenei priest, I suppose. And a gnome mage. Or a draenei mage too, I dunno.

Abilities would be pretty close to the original. Heal, dispel magic, inner fire for the priest. Slow, Invisibility, Poly for the mage. I'd want to change it up a bit, but again, human casters are very iconic and I can't think of anything better.

Workshop... I'd probably get rid of Mortor Teams, make Siege Engines the primary siege unit for the humans. (In order to provide more racial diversity.) 'Siege Mode' would be a possibility, I suppose. Probably make it so that they had a mode for attacking buildings and a mode for attacking units, but both were mobile. Gyrocopter seems okay, not sure what I'd make the third unit, though. Probably some sort of support walker.

I'd also make the workshop INCREDIBLY gnomish and quirky in design I think. Then you have gryphons at the aviary, and I'm not sure what I'd change about them, so there you have it.

Sorry I didn't go through it unit by unit, I just couldn't really be bothered, I'll do Orcs sometime soon. I have a few more ideas for them I think. Humans are just really cohesive and sensible already I found.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
First, I think it would be about time that the Burning Legion become a playable race for WC4. World of Warcraft showed us that not all demons were invincible and that some of them could be defeated by average men. If Kael'thas Blood elves, are, indeed, aligned with the Burning Legion, they could become their peons and builders. They would be, howver, highly mutated a look more like demons than the Blood Elves from Quel'Thalas.

I would like to see it like that:

The Burning Legion faction

Main Building (can't find a name yet), they only town center that could be able to build military units, after building a barrack of course

Trains:

Blood Elves builders (build buildings, thats's about it)
Blood Elves archers, weak archer, anti-air
Blood Elve Warlock, weak spellcaster with minor magics (able to summon imps at tier 1-2, Void walkers at tier 3)
I stopped reading here. Any Blood Elves who remained in the Burning Legion became Fel Bloods, who were incredibly powerful and skilled demonic entities, not unlike Eredar. Quit confusing them with imps, jeez... Any Fel Bloods in the Burning Legion would be elite, not weaklings.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:11 PM

Elune

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Well the changes I made weren't focused so much on races, but on gameplay with flavour changes where appropriate.

One thought I had was to add a Varian-type hero (probably be a dwarf in multiplayer). The berzerker.

Abilities:

Heroic Throw

The Berzerker throws his weapon at a target enemy, striking all enemies behind him in a line. (So like Shockwave I guess)

Heroic Charge

Berzerker pounces at a single target enemy unit. (Basically like Blink, but must be targeted to an enemy unit) Stunning all nearby enemies in the process for 3/5/8 seconds.

Heroic Aura

The Berzerker inspires all nearby friendly units. Increasing their... I'm not sure. The human's main theme is solid units with slow movement speed and lots of defensive-focus. I guess this could improve their damage and gives their attacks a slow-aspect. (That might be too strong, though.)

Ultimate is Avatar

The Berzerker channels the spirits of his ancestors, transforming him into a giant stone version of himself.

Paladin and Archmage would be relatively unchanged, except Devotion Aura would gain a movement speed boost, and the Paladin would ride a horse, while the Archmage would lose his horse.

Units at the Barracks would be the same. I think I'd probably give the Rifleman something. As it is, he's pretty much identical to the Archer/Blood Archer/Headhunter. So it'd probably be some sort of ability... but again, defensive focus. So... I dunno. Maybe 'bunker down' increases their attack damage but greatly reduces their movement speed. I think that could work. Knights having the charge ability could work really well. I can't think of who else would get that power.

Casters would be very similar, the human casters are pretty iconic. You'd have... lesse... draenei priest, I suppose. And a gnome mage. Or a draenei mage too, I dunno.

Abilities would be pretty close to the original. Heal, dispel magic, inner fire for the priest. Slow, Invisibility, Poly for the mage. I'd want to change it up a bit, but again, human casters are very iconic and I can't think of anything better.

Workshop... I'd probably get rid of Mortor Teams, make Siege Engines the primary siege unit for the humans. (In order to provide more racial diversity.) 'Siege Mode' would be a possibility, I suppose. Probably make it so that they had a mode for attacking buildings and a mode for attacking units, but both were mobile. Gyrocopter seems okay, not sure what I'd make the third unit, though. Probably some sort of support walker.

I'd also make the workshop INCREDIBLY gnomish and quirky in design I think. Then you have gryphons at the aviary, and I'm not sure what I'd change about them, so there you have it.

Sorry I didn't go through it unit by unit, I just couldn't really be bothered, I'll do Orcs sometime soon. I have a few more ideas for them I think. Humans are just really cohesive and sensible already I found.
I think that at this point the Mountain King is to Iconic to be tossed, the Archmage Is the one that I think is the most likely to be changed as we have a Mountain King and a Paladin showing up in Blizzard DotA. We are also seeing a lot of Mountain King abilities showing up in WoW.

Also Varian might not even take a major role in the Alliance campaign, and Blizzard could always give him a custom class only used in the campaign.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Demon Hunter

Well using Jaina as the new basis for the Archmage might help. Heck, just make the Sorceress its own hero class to fit things better if not. Warcraft could always use some options, and having multiple options for an 'Archmage' would.

As for a Warcraft 4, if they keep the Hero system I'd love to see some 'spec' options to promote diverse gameplay beyond what they have now. Give more hero options on top of the basic ones. Maybe you can choose race/class combos for your heros that give them different abilities. If you choose a Draenei Paladin, effectively a 'Vindicator', you get stronger Holy spells. If you choose a Dwarf Paladin, you get a bonus to Strength and Defense. Humans get a bonus to their auras and any command-type abilities (more effective Ressurection?)

Wargear like the way it's done in Dawn of War would be pretty cool too, to be able to kit out your heroes with class-specific gear that makes them more badass.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Elune
BattleTag: MayhemInc#2519

Well from what I've gathered from Blizzard's moves in WoW I feel that WCIV, if it ever comes, will come with the current Alliance and Horde more or less intact.

The way I envision it is having several tiers of units, that is four or five as opposed to three as we have in Starcraft II. Basically we would get two super factions that have many more units then is ordinary for a RTS, basically each faction would have about two times as many units then a single faction has in SCII. Since the times of TFT WoW has added many iconic units in both factions, so I would like to showcase as many of those as possible to increase the difference between the factions.

I wrote this idea in more detail once, but since I think it was on the old suggestion forums which went the way of the dodo, it is sadly lost forever.

Another thing I remember writing about this is that I envision all Horde units being trained in common ground/magic/air/water training buildings while the Alliance units are trained from separate buildings for each subfaction/race, to exemplify the alliance part of the faction. Or vice versa depending on which faction is more unified at the time.

Now while I love to have more factions as to have more units and lore this just seems as the most logical conclusion of many decisions of Blizzard's in WoW.

Last edited by C9H20; 10-24-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Separating some of the races would allow for a more coherent and focused visuals.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Don't want a Warcraft 4 RTS. Would really like a single-player Warcraft RPG, something like Dragon Age or The Witcher.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Eternal

I would love a Skyrim-like Warcraft, based in Lordaeron of course!
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordArreat15 View Post
Some champaign's based on wars of the past, ex foundation of Arathor, Troll Wars, War of Three Hammers...
Ooh! I'd love an RTS game based on the Troll Wars and the campaigns that led to Human nations becoming a race to be reckoned with.

The same game could include a basic Orc prequel campaign on Draenor, unconnected to the Azeroth events. If the Orcs have such a proud martial heritage, surely they fought in at least SOME random wars before the daemon corruption. I loved how the Orc Act I for Beyond the Dark Portal was entirely a civil war between the Draenor clans. Just throw in some Ogres and Draenei, and make up a war that hasn't been described yet. It'd be a great chance to show the difference between the old "noble warrior" Orcs that are part of lore now and the "evil daemonic" Orcs of the original games.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:22 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

I had a cool idea involving the Alliance, the Forsaken, Horde and the Zandalari Empire, but, I can't write well enough to make it sound good.

"You always were a cunning linguist, James"
Old 06-06-2012, 01:57 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Okay, I'm in the right mood:

Humans.

Units:

Town Hall:

Peasant - Basic worker unit for the humans. Basically the same. Can be converted to militia at local town hall, can speed up building by working together.

Barracks:

Footman - Solid basic infantry. Has high armor, but relatively low damage. Can use the 'hold out' ability. Which reduces all ranged damage taken (magic including spells, and piercing) but slows the footmen down.

Rifleman - Solid basic artillery unit. Can use the defend ability, and has an upgrade which increases their range. The hold out ability for Rifleman is also available (shares a research) when using Hold Out, Riflemen are slowed, but their range and damage is increased.

Knight - Solid basic infantry. Has the charge upgrade, which increases their HP and allows them to charge into battle. Knights have about the same survivability as footmen, but are much faster and deal more damage. (But cost more of course)

Nexus of Cosmic Energy:

Draenei Priest:

Has the heal, dispel magic and inner fire abilities.

Draenei Mage:

Has the slow, invisiblity and polymorph abilities.

Like I said, I have no idea, and I think these are solid to begin with.

Workshop:

Gyrocopter:

Fast moving aerial bomber. Good for scouting and are good aerial support for ground-based armies. Deal high damage at long range.

Siege Engine:

Powerful siege machine. Has two modes. Siege Mode, in which they have incredible defensive prowess and are mobile, also deal large amounts of damage to buildings at short range, but can only attack buildings. And Artillery mode. This allows the Siege Engine to attack units, but only units. Dealing long-range siege damage (in a sort of forked-lightning type effect) which slow the enemy. But they are immobile in this mode.

Gyrowalker:
Powerful, slow moving walker. Has medium range. Launches a barrage of missiles that deal single-target damage.

Gryphon Aviary:

Gryphon Rider:
Powerful winged fighter. Good at assaulting entrenched positions and bombing the enemy.

Heroes:

Archmage:

Slow-moving, but powerful ranged attacker. Has Blizzard ability (which damages and slows attack rate), as well as Mass Teleport, Brilliance Aura and Time Warp. Mass Teleport now has three ranks. The first only teleports the Archmage to a target town hall. The second rank teleports him to a target friendly unit. The third teleports him and nearby friendly units to a target friendly unit. Time Warp creates a giant time bubble at a target location. Freezing all units in it in place.

Paladin:

Holy Light now works like Shockwave. Healing all friendly living units and damaging all enemy undead units in a straight-line. Like Light of the Dawn. Divine Shield works much the same, except instead of making the Paladin immune it creates a shield which can be attacked and broken through, and also protects him from all spells and effects. Devotion Aura is much the same except it increases movement speed as well as armor and is called Crusader Aura. Their ultimate is Redemption. This summons a spirit of redemption which will ressurect 6 nearby friendly dead guys, and heal all friendly units around the Paladin for 30 seconds. (This way you don't need to have actual dead for this to be useful.)

Mountain King (Varian is called something different, but has all the same abilities):

Iconic Dwarven warrior. Has the Mighty Throw ability, this chucks the Mountain King's weapon at an enemy, stunning them and dealing damage. Heroic Charge: The Dwarven Warrior leaps to the defense of a comrade, charging to a nearby allied unit, and stunning all enemy units around the target unit. Bash: Passive. Slows the attack rate and movement speed of every unit the Berzerker attacks. Avatar is their ultimate and it is the same.

Gnomish Tinkerer:

Ingenious gnome inventor. Has the Pocket Factory ability. This pocket factory summons slow-moving tinker robots. These robots are very weak offensively, but are quite sturdy. It also has the ability to create a ticking time bomb. This time bomb will be summoned at a target location, and after a set interval explode. His third ability is Engineering upgrade, increasing the rate the Pocket Factory summons goblins and reducing the time delay of time bomb, and enhancing their ultimate: Robo-gnome. Transforms the Gnome into a robot, which has increased armor and does more damage, particularly to buildings. (Okay, this is just a goblin tinkerer as a gnome, sueee me.)

Okay, I decided four heroes makes more sense. Maximum of three. I'll add an undead and Night Elf hero at the bottom.

Orcs:

The focus of Orcs is generally on UNBELIEVABLE destruction. Unlike the undead, who overwhelm their enemies with tricks and minions, the Orcs are focused on overwhelming their opponents through sheer brute force and fire power. If humanity is the immovable object, then the Horde is the unstoppable force.

Great Hall:

Peon: Builds stuff. Says 'work, work'. Can go into burrows to chuck spears at things.

Barracks:

Grunt: Powerful berzerker warrior. Can get the Berzerker Strength upgrade, which increases their attack rate and movement speed.

Headhunter: Powerful spear-thrower. Can get the Berzerk upgrade. This increases their attack rate and movement speed, but makes them take more damage.

Demolisher: Powerful long-range siege weapon. Has incredible destructive power, and has the burning earth upgrade. This upgrade can set fires to trees (starting a forest fire), and when it attacks units, begins to scorch the earth. Causing a powerful AoE ground effect.

Beast Cage:

Raider: Fast-moving raider. Slow-attack rate but powerful strikes. Has the Ensnare ability.

Kodo Beast: Has aura which increases the attack rate of nearby units.

Wyvern: Raider. Fast-moving, has poisoned tipped spears which deal increased damage over time. But does not stack. (Essentially you want to poison as many targets as possible and then fly away)

Troll Bat-rider: Benefits from the Scorched Earth upgrade of the Demolisher. Can suicide into enemy flying units dealing AoE damage. Very fast-moving. Also a good raider, but more vulnerable and longer range.

Spirit Lodge:

Shaman:

Same old Shaman. Powerful support warrior. Has lightning shield, cleansing wave, an ability that works like chain heal, except instead of healing, it dispels buffs from hit targets (can bounce from enemy to friend and back) this looks like water and of course Bloodlust.

Spirit Walker:

Tauren shaman. A spirit guide for his people. Is an effective scout and support unit. Has the basic spirit link spell. A small change is that you may target enemy units as well. And a percentage of any damage your units sustain will be transfered to the target unit. (Heroes are immune) Their second spell is transcendance. A target unit is banished and their movement speed is increased dramatically. Their final spell is spirit transfer. A target friendly unit is targeted, the Spirit Walker will transfer that unit's soul to himself and effectively become that unit for a time. Can be cancelled at any time, but costs a great deal of mana and has a cooldown.

Tauren Totem:

Tauren Marauder:
Incredibly powerful, massive melee fighters. Have the ability to strike a unit with their totems, sending out a powerful shockwave.

Heroes:

War Seer

With the establishment of Durotar as a nation, a new breed of younger, more eager shaman have arisen. Influenced by the legendary shamanism of Thrall and Drek'thar, but the war-like nature of Garrosh Hellscream, these shaman are warriors without peer. Using the elements as a weapon, they crush their enemies. Their first ability is a classic chain lightning. A bolt of lightning is sent from one enemy to another one of after the other. Their second ability is Earth Spike. A powerful earthen spike is thrust from the ground, impeding the movement of enemies. (Works basically like Force Field from StarCraft 2) Increased ranks of this ability reduce it's mana cost and cooldown. Their final two abilities are incinerate and cataclysm. Incinerate works much the same as the Fire Lord's version of the ability. It is autocast. With every attack a debuff is applied to an enemy, dealing more damage every time the shaman attacks. Eventually, when the enemy with this debuff is destroyed, they explode, damaging nearby enemies. Cataclysm is an incredibly powerful ability, an area is targeted, and on this area a lightning storm will begin, damaging units, eventually after a time, a massive earthquake will erupt from the ground, damaging buildings and slowing the movement speed of units, then a volcano will spout from the earth, spouting lava into the air. (So basically begins with hurricane, then turns into earthquake, and finally volcano.)

Blademaster:

Unlike the wizened, skilled blademasters of old, these new brand of Blademasters are keen, aggressive killers. Instead of using Wind Walk to hide in the shadows like a ninja, the Blademaster has an ability called Bloodthirst. This ability increases the Blademaster's attack speed and movement speed, but also increases the amount of damage he takes. He also has a power called Bone Chilling Scream. The Blademaster screams, causing his enemies to shake with fear, reducing their movement speed and armor. His third ability is Cleaving Attack, rather than strategically striking a single target, these new blademasters attack in a cleave, striking an area of effect with each attack. Their final ability is bladestorm, which is the same as the classic Blademaster, spinning in a circle striking all nearby enemies.

Tauren Chieftan:

The Tauren Chieftans are a band of-- oh never mind. The Tauren Chieftan is an elite Tauren warrior. Leading his allies into battle, while the Blademaster is an engine of pure agression and destruction, the Chieftan is a much more focused warrior. Charging Bull: The Tauren Chieftan charges at a target enemy unit, striking them down and stunning them. War Stomp: The Tauren Chieftan smashes the ground, stunning all nearby enemy units. Endurance: The Tauren Chieftan's movement speed and health are increased. Reincarnation: Upon dying the Tauren Chieft will be resurrected.

Troll Voodoo Master:

The Troll Voodoo Masters are a sect of Darkspear Trolls formed by Chieftan Vol'jin. Combining the dark magic of the Troll Shadow Hunter with the shamanism of their Orcish allies, they try to maintain the ancient traditions of the Horde and their own tribe in the face of an ever changing world. Their first ability is Healing Wave. The Voodoo master unleashes a stream of water, which travels from one target to another, healing less with each volley. Their second ability is earthen imprisonment. A target enemy unit is trapped in dark earth. Voodoo Orb: Passive. The Voodoo Master summons a small ball of shadow energy. The Orb will follow the Voodoo master around and any attacks the Voodoo master makes the Orb will follow up with an attack of the same strength. The Big Bad Voodoo: All nearby friendly units are encased in dark magic, protecting them from x damage and increasing their attack power. This spell must be channeled, if the Voodoo Master is stunned, interrupted or killed then the effect is lost.

Had lots of ideas for the Orc heroes anyway, but I really don't know what I'd change about humans. I see them as a very defensive race, and I wasn't sure how to make that fun and interesting without making them too much like the other races. I wanted to remove a lot of the overlap as well. (So for example, no one but the Undead have any really strong summoning spells) I wanted to make Big Bad Voodoo more offensive, but I wasn't sure how to do that without just making it another 'increases damage/attack rate/etc.' thing. Gonna add one more hero to the Night Elf and Undead ranks as well.

Last edited by Aldrius; 06-06-2012 at 02:02 AM..
Old 07-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Eternal

Maybe, we can have some races separately. Humans(who would be the ranged attackers and spellcasters) should be paired with Worgen(who would be the melee attackers and stealth users)as both races are highly versatile and it would be great to see them balancing magic and technology in a RTS game. Dwarves(who would be the frontliners) can be paired with Gnomes(tech like flying machines) and draenei(who would be the spellcasters). No need of high elves because they would be too similar to blood elves. Blood elves can be paired with the Forsaken and the Goblins. Night Elves should be completely a separate faction. Then Orcs can be paired with Trolls and Tauren. Also, Pandaren, like the Night Elves, should also be separate.

Separate implies that the faction can only build members of said race. Basically Humans(and Worgen) will be the jack-of all trades faction, Dwarves(and Gnome and Draenei) can be the tech-faction, Blood elves, Forsaken and Goblins can be similar to Undead from Warcraft 3, but this time,with Blood elf spellcasters, and since Forsaken do not have frost wryms, the Goblins can provide air units. Orcs(Trolls and Tauren) can be users of Brute force, with Orcs and Tauren doing the melee while Trolls do ranged attacks and spellcasting.
The English, are a strange people, and their general an extraordinary man. They arrive here in the morning, examine the walls, carry them, have killed all the garrison in the place, and have now gone back to breakfast. Who can resist such men as these?

Quote:
Esarus thar no'Darador' - By Blood and Honour We Serve.
Quote:
Fojar is too old, too male, and too alive for Xilizhra,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
For the vast majority of both casual fans and hardcore fans, that's enough. For Rotal, it's not.

CoD 1 is now CoDimus.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:10 PM

Eternal

Honestly, I would love if they did it like Civ5. I think Warcraft works best as a world, rather then just endless battles.

"I miss my books, and my armchair, and my garden. See, that's where I belong, that's home. That's why I came back... 'cause you don't have one, a home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 AM

Demon Hunter

I'd like to see the implementation of a Talent system and the inclusion of Quests or objective-driven goals.

Talents
The basic premise of this system is a point-based Tech Tree that gives you choice-driven bonuses to your army, similar to the current Talents system in WoW. These bonuses will help drive a style of gameplay that suits your army and hero composition, either to make up for a weakness or playing to your army's strengths. An example of Talents for Warcraft 3's Alliance faction:

Tier 1 Talents
Non-mounted Ground units gain 10% movement speed
Dwarven Units gain 25% splash damage for all attacks
Human Units gain 25% spell resistance, Defend also reflects magic damage

- Makes footmen and knights more durable against spells and aoe

Tier 2 Talents
Gain 'Brilliance Aura' for all heroes, Archmage gains Ice Barrier spell
- Can be taken if you want Brilliance sans Archmage, or to boost your Archmage gameplay
50% Armor value is added as Damage
- Promotes the use of Paladins, Priests and Armor Upgrades
Unlock Worgen Assassins, a fast-moving melee unit that deals slow-poison
- Good for worker harass, hero-killing or a supplement for a mobile army. Fills a certain role the Alliance lacks in their basic army lineup.

Quests
Just like Creeping became a core part of Warcraft 3's gameplay, Questing would be an extention of PvE gameplay within a PVP setting. Quests are non-repeatable objectives that will reward you with Talent points. An example of a quest:

Spend 500 wood
Build a Tier 2 building
Kill 10 creeps
Obtain a lvl 4 hero (Tier 2)
Kill a Champion creep (Tier 2)
Take an expansion (Tier 2)

Half of the quests will be guaranteed as a part of your core gameplay (spending 500 wood) while the other half is gained through actively pursuing them (killing champion creeps, taking an expansion). Since everyone has the same quests, you can slow down your opponent by stealing their creeps or killing their lumber-harvesters. The second tier of Talents are also unlocked by doing some of the harder quests, so it's a race to get to them as quickly as possible.

Quests and Talents will not necessarily put you in the lead or win you the game, but they are subtle advantages that help diversify gameplay and add an extra element of strategy.

Last edited by Triceron; 10-24-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 AM

Drunk Assassin

I'd want all the races to be separate.

It seems absurd they would not individually be able to hold their ground without the aid of allies. Any country in history which could only survive doing that... Doesn't survive now.

"If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all."
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Demon Hunter

In times of war however, you draw lines and gather allies. Look at WW2, every country was falling to the superior military forces of the Nazis UNTIL they allied together to fight the greater threat.

Most Wars (aside from civil wars and revolutions) involve more than two countries fighting each other. As cool as it could seem having individual armies break off into their own factions, I don't think the factions themselves have a strong enough identity compared to a mix. You'd have a lot of overlapping roles and filler units for each race that wouldn't have strong identities, like a 'dwarf magic caster', 'Orc ranged unit', 'Tauren worker'. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Neutral Building

I'd want shifting alliances, like fourth century BC Greece.

Oh! Extracubical thought! All the races have separate structures and units and are treated individually, but in any given battle the sides might be composed of any combination thereof. That is, the player would control a different lineup of factions for each mission. For one, perhaps you've got an army of Night Elves, Tauren, and Draenei teaming up against the Orcs and Trolls, but for the next mission you have the Draenei, Dwarves and Humans fighting against the Tauren, Trolls and Blood Elves. You have access to all the structures and resources available to your controlled factions and have to learn to synergize them in different ways. For multiplier, you could select three races or factions for your alliance before the match while your opponent does the same.

It would be an ungodly bitch to balance, but what do we pay you for?
Old 12-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Demon Hunter

Given how complex Alliance and Horde became since Warcraft 3 came out, I'd try customizable armies... Basically, Alliance and Horde have roles like infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc. with their own abilities. You then customize if you wanna human infantry (Footmen), dwarven artillery (Riflemen), night elf cavalry (Huntress)... These choices are made before you enter the map, actually.

This would just be just skins of course. You dwarf riflemen or night elf archer would be essentially the same with few mechanical variations. Maybe each race could have some special racial ability that come with their units (if you choose Night Elf units, for example, they have Shadowmeld, while Dwarven units may turn to stone to absorb damage for a short time, Trolls regenerate faster). A few units could have different bonuses per-race, like mages having a few different spells.

This way, someone could make his personal army an all-Draenei (Alliance) or all-Troll (Horde) army.

This would also allow Blizzard to make a campaign in which the units change depending on story. When you go to Quel'thalas you use mostly a Blood Elf army, for example. There could also be campaign-only units that are more unique, with their own special abilities.

I have no idea of what could be the other factions beyond Horde and Alliance, thought. Maybe we don't even need more than that.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Given how complex Alliance and Horde became since Warcraft 3 came out, I'd try customizable armies... Basically, Alliance and Horde have roles like infantry, artillery, cavalry, etc. with their own abilities. You then customize if you wanna human infantry (Footmen), dwarven artillery (Riflemen), night elf cavalry (Huntress)... These choices are made before you enter the map, actually.

This would just be just skins of course. You dwarf riflemen or night elf archer would be essentially the same with few mechanical variations. Maybe each race could have some special racial ability that come with their units (if you choose Night Elf units, for example, they have Shadowmeld, while Dwarven units may turn to stone to absorb damage for a short time, Trolls regenerate faster). A few units could have different bonuses per-race, like mages having a few different spells.

This way, someone could make his personal army an all-Draenei (Alliance) or all-Troll (Horde) army.

This would also allow Blizzard to make a campaign in which the units change depending on story. When you go to Quel'thalas you use mostly a Blood Elf army, for example. There could also be campaign-only units that are more unique, with their own special abilities.

I have no idea of what could be the other factions beyond Horde and Alliance, thought. Maybe we don't even need more than that.
How would heroes work in that system? Would they also be subject to racials? Would any given hero unit have multiple racial variations?
Old 12-08-2012, 03:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
I'd want all the races to be separate.

It seems absurd they would not individually be able to hold their ground without the aid of allies. Any country in history which could only survive doing that... Doesn't survive now.
Agreed.
The English, are a strange people, and their general an extraordinary man. They arrive here in the morning, examine the walls, carry them, have killed all the garrison in the place, and have now gone back to breakfast. Who can resist such men as these?

Quote:
Esarus thar no'Darador' - By Blood and Honour We Serve.
Quote:
Fojar is too old, too male, and too alive for Xilizhra,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
For the vast majority of both casual fans and hardcore fans, that's enough. For Rotal, it's not.

CoD 1 is now CoDimus.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
How would heroes work in that system? Would they also be subject to racials? Would any given hero unit have multiple racial variations?
I think racial identity is important for heroes, so each would have a fixed race. Maybe a few could have racial variations but it would be looks only (like Human paladin/Draenei Vindicator), but I think it's important to represent racial culture throught heroes.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).