Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
How many of you had religious nutcases knocking at your door, trying to convert you ?
No one has ever tried to tried to convert me to their religion. I've known a fair few atheists (or agnostics) who have ridiculed my beliefs and told me I'm and idiot for them though.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 05-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Humanity strengths? What is this, World of Darkness?
Values In Action Strength Scale test (Or VIASS). It's a tool developed by Seligman and Peterson around 2004 as an anti-thesis to the DSM (which I believe was on its fourth incarnation at the time). It's part of the American-Asian positive psychology movement, a revival of the Karl Menniger ideology.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
Values In Action Strength Scale test (Or VIASS). It's a tool developed by Seligman and Peterson around 2004 as an anti-thesis to the DSM (which I believe was on its fourth incarnation at the time). It's part of the American-Asian positive psychology movement, a revival of the Karl Menniger ideology.
You're words mean nothing to me.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
You're words mean nothing to me.

Basically, the idea is that psychology does not exist merely to cure sick people and bring them back to a state of neutrality. Psychology is more than capable of making people feel "okay", but its also been neglected in the sciences of how to actually make people feel "good".

The branch of positive psychology is thus the study of happiness, love, life satisfaction, human potential and human strengths, to name a few things.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post

Basically, the idea is that psychology does not exist merely to cure sick people and bring them back to a state of neutrality. Psychology is more than capable of making people feel "okay", but its also been neglected in the sciences of how to actually make people feel "good".

The branch of positive psychology is thus the study of happiness, love, life satisfaction, human potential and human strengths, to name a few things.
There's a whole branch of psychology devoted to making people to do things that aren't good for them. It's called marketing.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
There's a whole branch of psychology devoted to making people to do things that aren't good for them. It's called marketing.
And in some countries it's more effective (NSFW) than others. Yes I know it's from a movie (and a shitty one at that), but it's pretty cogent in terms of exactly what their demographic wants (sweet tits and sweet juice).

The Mad Admin
Old 05-03-2012, 02:38 AM

Elune

Quote:
It's the basic rule of thumb when it comes to marketing;

Create a product.
Create a means to make people think they need this product.
Make sure as many people as possible see the ad you've created.

Depending on what the product is, you (should) also paint up the illusion that more people need it, than what is available of it.

Now, I have to admit... Lesbianism in order to sell OJ?

Brilliant.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:55 PM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via AIM to Kakwakas Send a message via MSN to Kakwakas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
How many of you had religious nutcases knocking at your door, trying to convert you ?
Not just knocking at my door. It's far more pervasive than that.

It's the schoolyard kids telling you that you're going to hell. It's the teachers giving you looks when you don't say "under god" as part of the pledge of allegiance. It's being told you "need Jesus in your life" whenever you do anything they disagree with. It's being yelled at by other students when defending a teacher's right to keep mythology out of science. It's watching laws being passed because the politicians believe they need to enforce their particular religious "morals" upon the rest of society. It's being harassed in basic training for not going to Christian services. It's watching military members believe they're a "warrior of god." It's hearing an invocation at nearly every large military formation. It's being told that the Chaplains are there for everybody, only to see them once again stand behind a podium and tell you that you're going to hell like those same schoolyard children.

And best of all, it's being told that you're persecuting them by trying to stop this behavior.
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL

Last edited by Kakwakas; 05-04-2012 at 01:58 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post

It's the schoolyard kids telling you that you're going to hell. It's the teachers giving you looks when you don't say "under god" as part of the pledge of allegiance. It's being told you "need Jesus in your life" whenever you do anything they disagree with. It's being yelled at by other students when defending a teacher's right to keep mythology out of science. It's watching laws being passed because the politicians believe they need to enforce their particular religious "morals" upon the rest of society. It's being harassed in basic training for not going to Christian services. It's watching military members believe they're a "warrior of god." It's hearing an invocation at nearly every large military formation. It's being told that the Chaplains are there for everybody, only to see them once again stand behind a podium and tell you that you're going to hell like those same schoolyard children.

And best of all, it's being told that you're persecuting them by trying to stop this behavior.
I do not envy you.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
I do not envy you.
Me neither... My country is filled with catholic Christians that only go to church when it's relevant, and pretty much everyone just does lip service to the church.

Unless you get to the "Holy City" of my country, then you get to see people make their knees raw for miracles or the rare case of crawling your body trough pretty much the whole thing for miracles... or devotion.

Yes, i'm being literal here, Praying is for pussies, Christian god demands you to sacrifice your knees for miracles in my country.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post

I've heard they're finally letting atheist "chaplains" in, though I have no real sources to confirm it. Any luck on your end or are you still going to hell every time you stand at attention?

The Mad Admin
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I've heard they're finally letting atheist "chaplains" in, though I have no real sources to confirm it. Any luck on your end or are you still going to hell every time you stand at attention?
That's just stupid, what'is the point of an atheist chaplain?

Last edited by Erthad; 05-04-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 05:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
That's just stupid, what'is the point of an atheist chaplan?
To give them advice on how to deal with stuff without relying on faith. Conscription of Psychologists would be more effective :rolleyes

Last edited by Ashendant; 05-04-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
To give them advice on how to deal with stuff without relying on faith. Conscription of Psychologists would be more effective :rolley
Do military installations (at least those stateside) have psychologists that AREN'T chaplains?
Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
To give them advice on how to deal with stuff without relying on faith. Conscription of Psychologists would be more effective :rolley
Doesn't the military already employ psychologists? And an aethiest chaplain wouldn't provide anything that couldn't already be provided by their peers or current resources.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Arch-Druid
Send a message via AIM to Kakwakas Send a message via MSN to Kakwakas

Quote:
Do military installations (at least those stateside) have psychologists that AREN'T chaplains?
Yep. I'm not quite sure what the point of atheist chaplains is, either, really.
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM

Elune

Moreover why does an Atheist bible exist?

I know a bible is defined by more than something religious, but it's honestly asking to be just a little bit hypocritical.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
Moreover why does an Atheist bible exist?

I know a bible is defined by more than something religious, but it's honestly asking to be just a little bit hypocritical.
I'd wager it's supposed to be insulting.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:02 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

There are army psychologists, but they deal with disorders and traumas more than every day consultations. The idea of an "Atheist Chaplain" is the everyday accessible guy you can consult on matters. The moniker "chaplain" may not be the actual name they use, but the effect is the same, someone to help dissipate emotional baggage that's not to the point of disorders.

Now as to the "psychology of happiness," give me dopamine and call me in the morning. But seriously, happiness is a mindset for anyone who isn't suffering from chemical imbalances. You just make it a habit to look on the bright side of things, that's pretty much it.

The Mad Admin
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

It's the goddamned Army.

Politically correct bullshit over religion is what led to the Ft. Hood massacre.

If you can't get with the program, get out. Seriously. You're not supposed to be a unique snowflake as a soldier. Sorry. Free speech and all that shit really doesn't exist when you sign that dotted line. Ask the dummy that thinks he can rag on Obama on his Facebook...
Old 05-05-2012, 12:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's the goddamned Army.

Politically correct bullshit over religion is what led to the Ft. Hood massacre.

If you can't get with the program, get out. Seriously. You're not supposed to be a unique snowflake as a soldier. Sorry. Free speech and all that shit really doesn't exist when you sign that dotted line. Ask the dummy that thinks he can rag on Obama on his Facebook...
There is a Pvt Pyle in every platoon.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:16 AM

Elune

Separation of church and state.

Why would the army be an exception?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
It's the goddamned Army.

Technically he's in the air force.

Besides, if you really want to enforce homogeny within the army, rather than having different chaplains for different faiths (Christian, Jewish, etc), why not just have secular counselors that anyone from any denomination can go to?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Why do you have army chaplains if Jesus said to turn the other cheek, surprising everyone who expected him to lead a revolt against the Romans? Impression I've got is that there's no room for any militancy in Christianity.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Elune

Paladins with guns ?

Tags
i don't eat pork, jesus is disappoint, judging you, serious business, too rare to die, too weird to live