Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > Diablo Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Eternal

Default Diablo III expansion ideas

So yeah, it has been noted that Diablo III will have a couple of expansion packs. So I ask you this: What are some ideas for Expansion Packs?
I have an idea with an expansion pack set in Heaven, with the Angels as the main enemy. Basically it takes place after Diablo is killed and you have to help Tyrael retake Heaven from Imperious, who want to destroy Sanctuary because of our tainted blood.

It seems that there will be another expansion too. If so I would like to see it set in a Inferno-esque zone(AKA Dante's Inferno) area created for an xpack, make the enemy Tyrael, turns out that Tyrael was corrupted by the Worldstone and is holding the essence of Diablo----the one you killed is a clone/avatar. The new area introduced has 9 levels that are based on the Circles of Hell.

I would also like to see some classes from D2 returning.

So, what do you think a Diablo expansion should include?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 10-29-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

My suggestion a expansion about squishing all of hell demons in hell to the last one
Old 10-29-2011, 12:26 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Umm... what is in the main game?
Old 10-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Umm... what is in the main game?
I had an idea for D3 vanilla but Blizzard killed it stone dead since Ureh is not appearing in D3.

And I also expected the game to have 5 Acts, not 4. First two act sets up the plot, third and fourth deal with Belial and Azmodan and fifth, shorter than the rest, deals with Diablo himself. But still hope the four acts are long and quality!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 10-29-2011 at 04:01 PM..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
I had an idea for D3 vanilla but Blizzard killed it stone dead since Ureh is not appearing in D3.
You can't speculate on what will be added to the game if you do not know what is in it in the first place.

And I don't understand the Ureh thing. There is clearly art of it, clearly cinematic footage of it, and it is in the novels. How can it not be there? Unless it was cut... which seems likely.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:18 PM

Archer

Pretty much hard to speculate but you've got some good ideas there.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Guru of Gilneas

It's hard for me to get excited by the Diablo expansion games, as they always have you kill the titular Diablo in the main game as opposed to the expansion games. But given that Diablo is Prime Evil #1, everything else is simply meh in comparison.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

The Prime Evils are all dead, forever, since their souls where destroyed in Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, and Azmodan is the only major evil left in Hell.

The idea is that, after you kill Azmodan, Hell is thwarted forever, and that the Angels (should) leave the mortal plane in peace.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
The Prime Evils are all dead, forever, since their souls where destroyed in Diablo 2 and Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, and Azmodan is the only major evil left in Hell.

The idea is that, after you kill Azmodan, Hell is thwarted forever, and that the Angels (should) leave the mortal plane in peace.
Yeah, about that...
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

In all seriousness, with all the fleshing out of the lore of the Anguiris Council and the High Heavens I would not be surprised if we visit it for an act. If not in the base game, definitely an expansion.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
In all seriousness, with all the fleshing out of the lore of the Anguiris Council and the High Heavens I would not be surprised if we visit it for an act. If not in the base game, definitely an expansion.
Or we could go to Hell. Wouldn't that be a bazillion times more awesome?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Been there, done that.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I would like it if they based hell on Dante's inferno to avoid it from being a "stale" "generic fire and lava area". Anyways my idea for the final xpack was that the Tyrael in heaven in the Second Xpack that will help you against Imperius is the real Diablo, and the one you killed in D3 vanilla was a clone, and that Tyrael was driven insane by the Worldstone fragments, which was why Diablo could possess him. Diablo flees to the "Inferno Fortress" and you follow him there in the next xpack through a teleporter or a passage in the lost city or Ureh.

1st Circle-Limbo, 2 bosses, a ferryman of the Damned and a "Judge of Hell"

2nd Circle-Lust, boss could be some kind of giant Succubus or the maiden of Lust revived as a stronger boss. I don't want it to be Lilith, since she plays a big role in the backstory.

3rd Circle-Gluttony, features giant worms and the end boss could be a giant three headed worm shaped to resemble Cerberus

4th Circle-Greed, giant golden statue of a demon as boss, enemies could be golden automaton or something.

5th Circle-Wrath, three bosses based on the Furies, fight them together, should involve a hostile city loaded with enemies

6th Circle-Heresy, contains dark cultists and false servants of the Light, boss could be a false prophet. If they cut the Grand Inquisitor he could make a good boss here

7th Circle-Violence, boss should be some kind of demonic warrior or fallen angel

8th Circle-Fraud, boss could be demon based on the demon Malacoda and his Malebranche pack can be ideas for enemies or Super Uniques.

9th Circle Treachery, first group of enemies based on giants, and is a frozen area, enemies in this area should be souls of traitors that burst throughout the ice when you approach them. Eventually you move to the very center of Hell, where Diablo resides in a new form, a giant three headed demon, the first head being Diablo's and the other two being his brothers'. He looks like a cross between Diablo in D2 and Lucifer's portrayal in the Divine comedy. Each mouth contains the soul of a "traitor"--the heroes from D1. So essentially you have to fight the Summoner, Blood Raven and the Dark Wanderer before fighting Diablo. After you "kill" Diablo Tyrael bursts from Diablo's giant form, but is still corrupted and possessed by Diablo, final boss is a demon that is a cross between Diablo and Tyrael, with Diablo as the dominant personality.

After Diablo dies, you escape Hell by climbing down the corpse of Diablo's giant form, and escape through a portal.

This is the most satisfying way to end the storyline, it just feels anticlimactic if the last boss of the Diablo III series isn't Diablo.

Last edited by xie323; 12-14-2011 at 03:00 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Been there, done that.
Oh come on, it will still be more awesome than going to Heaven.

Party pooper.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Oh come on, it will still be more awesome than going to Heaven.

Party pooper.
It isn't that we've "been" to hell, but it's getting generic. So really hell needs a redesign, and the best way to do so is basing it on Inferno in Dante's Comedy.

Angris Council can be second xpack.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Not really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
It isn't that we've "been" to hell, but it's getting generic. So really hell needs a redesign, and the best way to do so is basing it on Inferno in Dante's Comedy.

Angris Council can be second xpack.
How is basing Hell on the Inferno in Dante's Inferno not already generic? Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost have practically rewritten the popular conceptions of Hell, influence the 9 Hells of Dungeons & Dragons, which in turned influenced practically all video game designers. Even the previews of the upcoming Book of Cain have pages that mention that each of the Major Evils has their own realm in Hell.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
How is basing Hell on the Inferno in Dante's Inferno not already generic? Dante's Inferno and Milton's Paradise Lost have practically rewritten the popular conceptions of Hell, influence the 9 Hells of Dungeons & Dragons, which in turned influenced practically all video game designers. Even the previews of the upcoming Book of Cain have pages that mention that each of the Major Evils has their own realm in Hell.
Well, in fiction they're overdone, but these versions of hell haven't appeared yet in Diablo III. Diablo II was kinda Milton-esque with the Pandemonium fortress and the Chaos sanctuary and all that, but I'd like to see Blizz tackle Dante for Diablo III

Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Well, in fiction they're overdone, but these versions of hell haven't appeared yet in Diablo III. Diablo II was kinda Milton-esque with the Pandemonium fortress and the Chaos sanctuary and all that, but I'd like to see Blizz tackle Dante for Diablo III
For one thing, it's a video game and not a literature class. And on the other, we've only been in Diablo's realm of Hell so far. But Dante's Divine Comedy also brings up an excellent matter pertaining to heaven: it sucks; it's boring; and it's highly forgettable. That was not the message he wished to communicate, but that was how it was received in transmission. There's a reason why Dante's Purgatorio and Dante's Paradiso are generally left unread though Dante's Inferno attracts greater interest.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Bear in mind that the entire complex is called "the burning hells". Everything's gonna be on fire, I doubt the different realms of hell are all that different, certainly not as varied as Dante's depiction of the various circles.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

You could change the color of the fire.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
For one thing, it's a video game and not a literature class. And on the other, we've only been in Diablo's realm of Hell so far. But Dante's Divine Comedy also brings up an excellent matter pertaining to heaven: it sucks; it's boring; and it's highly forgettable. That was not the message he wished to communicate, but that was how it was received in transmission. There's a reason why Dante's Purgatorio and Dante's Paradiso are generally left unread though Dante's Inferno attracts greater interest.
They don't need Dante to describe Heaven, they have a lot of comics and other stories by independent authors that portray a "Higher Plane" in a majestic or breathtaking light.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:16 PM

I kinda imagine the High Heavens looking like Skywall.

Quote:
Old 12-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I think it is this. Though it might still be both.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I imagined it'd look like Krypton from the Superman movies, probably because I was extrapolating the "Crystal Arch" to the rest of the Heavens.