Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2007, 01:20 PM

Loremaster

Default The Art of Kenzuki

As requested, here is a sample of my art. Be gentle. This is an original character I created a few years ago, that belongs to a world that I created. Which is where I take my Scrollsoflore name from by the way.

Kenzuki Shinku, The Crimson Seraph.

If you'de like some more information about him, just let me know k.

P.S I hope the link actually works.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

You actually draw better than I anticipated.
Cool sword and nice touch with the face mask.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:25 PM

Eternal

I'm with Tim, I didn't expect the drawing to be that good (it isn't a masterpiece, but it isn't bad at all). The guy does look cool and I like the sword.

So what exactly can your Crimson Seraph do!?
Old 06-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I have a good map of Harnec on paper, but I can't find a scanner anywhere to turn it into digital form.

But enough about me, that's a really good drawring, and I'm exited about hearing more of the world this guy lives in.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Loremaster

Very good drawing! Better then any of the crap I do, well, when it comes to paper and a pen anyways.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
As requested, here is a sample of my art. Be gentle. This is an original character I created a few years ago, that belongs to a world that I created. Which is where I take my Scrollsoflore name from by the way.
The drawing is very impressive, as far as I can tell (I'm not at all skilled in drawing, so I really don't have much to say beyond that). Anyway, like Kerrah, I am interested in hearing more about the world that this guy inhabits.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM

Loremaster

*bows* Well thank you very much for the compliments, I haven't had to chance to sit down and doodle in ages so it's nice to compliments for my old work hehe. So tell me, what do you want to know 'bout him?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Eternal

Ooohh, that´s pretty good! Lot better than i thought it would be.

Heh, I can see the anime influences, which probably came from Final Fantasy judging from the hair.

Is he wearing anything on his chest? It looks like it but i can see right through it.

If you applied shadowing on him to accentuate his muscles, that would make him even better but it´s probably hard to do that.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas

Last edited by Vicious; 06-21-2007 at 06:04 PM..
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM

Loremaster

Actually, his arms are covered by sleeves, his chest isn't covered at all besides the straps.

I've got some more doodles to show off. Some face shots.

The Guys

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1182473299

The Hotties

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1182473344
Old 06-21-2007, 08:13 PM

Loremaster

Very good head shots Ken, you have a very clean look, actually its better then some professional anime I have seen out there. Would love to see what you do with some of the females, I would be interested on how you handle the much more complex female form.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:37 PM

Eternal

You've got a thing for women who can't talk, huh.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:27 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Apophis#2440

Very nice drawing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
You've got a thing for women who can't talk, huh.
HAHAHA
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Impressive. These sketches are detailed and depict your characters in realistic anime/manga fashion. Some of the necks are a little long, but as long as you're consistent with that detail it shouldn't be a problem since long necks are a trait of some anime artists. You might want to try a little harder to differentiate your Crimson Seraph from Himura Kenshin, though. This might just be me, but when I look at "Kenzuki Shinku", I am strongly reminded of the former Hitokiri Battōsai. Otherwise, quite well done. I applaud your talent.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
This might just be me, but when I look at "Kenzuki Shinku", I am strongly reminded of the former Hitokiri Battōsai. Otherwise, quite well done. I applaud your talent.

it might be just you, when i saw the drawing, it reminded me of Final Fantasy, not Rurouni Kenshin.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 06-22-2007, 12:41 PM

Arch-Druid

I must say those are very good drawings indeed, although I generally dislike the anime style, yours are pretty good.
At least I stopped short of proposing.
Shani deserves someone normal.
Someone who will care for her, not wander the world risking his neck for a handful of coin.
I have no right to put her and Alvin in that position.
I'm a Witcher.
And sometimes I miss them... her.
~Geralt Of Rivia, White wolf.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:23 AM

Loremaster

For Kenzuki I had alot of inspiration to draw from, and I admit that Rurouni Kenshin was one of many. I also tried to come up with a unique looking hairstyle, which I think I did a pretty good job of myself, at least I have never seen one just like it before. The braid of hair that goes down his face is one of the most memorable. The rest of his hair is a deep crimson color, like blood really, however, that braid is a silvery white color. The reason for this is part of his story, which I'll explain later.

The reason the girls have no mouths is because sometimes I don't like drawing them if it's not a perminent piece or if I get too busy to do them. And I think we can all appreciate a group of women who stay silent hehe.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I gotta get around to making some of my characters into art... I used to make them in Maya but I mostly use that for designing robots now a days.

"I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it."
Old 06-30-2007, 02:06 PM

Loremaster

And now for a little backstory.

Kenzuki Shinku isn't human (no he's not elven either, my world has no elves, dwarves, or what not.), he's something kin to a Guardian Spirit. Let me explain.

In my world there exists a Goddess, she's the Great Mother, giver of life to all. She created the world in which everything lives, and nurtured their evolution and growth. In the begining it was much like a primordial "Garden of Eden" thing going on. After she had finished her work she entered into a deep slumber, where she was plagued by nightmares. These nightmares later became the species of creature known by the mortals as "Demons". These would range from nature spirits and creatures that dwell in the forest to the truly evil hellspawn. The hellspawn quickly siezed control over the weaker demons and subjugated them into armies and clans that sought control over the lands around them. They started to kill, maim, and devour the local wildlife as well as the children of men that were just starting to etch out a loving for themselves. When the Goddess awoke from her slumber she was horrified to learn what her dreams had created. This is why she sent the Four Guardian Seraphim who stand around her Throne to protect the world and rein in the Demon Lords. Their names and natures are below.

Senkaku, the Anointed Cherub, The Shining One, Lord of the Northern Provinces.

Senkaku was the eldest of the Four. He was the Firstborn of the Guardians and the one most close to the Goddess. He was placed in charge over the Northern Provinces where the demon infestation was worst. He was the wisest and most powerful of the Four, with a strong sense of justice and holiness. His stance was, while the Four should aid and protect the children of men, they should keep themselves set apart, lest the children of men corrupt them. This is an issue he would clash with Mitsukai over.

Head shot of Senkaku, along with another character.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1183235725

Mitsukai, The Divine Lady, The Covering Cherub, Lady of the Southern Provinces.

Mitsukai was the only female in the Four, she represented the feminine side of the Goddess and was considered to be the most like her "Mother" in regards to life. She had a special love for the children of men, particularly interested in teaching them to worship the Goddess, a notion that Senkaku scoffed at. During her reign over the Southern Provinces, she defended the children of men as well as the local wildlife, she also taught them about the Goddess and how they too could become closer to her. She, unlike the other three, was not afraid of showing herself to them or indeed living with them on occasion. This of course bothered the other three who felt that she was becoming too attached to the children of men, who by nature seemed easily corrupteble by the demons.

(never drew her.)

Kokoro, The Lone Wolf, Daemon's Bane, Lord of the Western Provinces.

Kokoro was Lord over the Western Provinces, somewhat a loner he was the cold, silent type. Always merciless to the demons he encountered he prefered to stay away from the children of men not trusting them. He often kept himself in the company of the local wildlife, he had a particular affinity for a tribe of sentient wolves that lived in his Province, and could often be seen running with them as they hunted for the hellspawn. Kokoro often submitted to the will of Senkaku's will, being the younger of the two. He disagreed with Mitsukai's belief that the children of men could be made to worship the Goddess, they were too easily corrupted or seduced by the demons, as such while they were to be protected they could never achieve a true relationship with the Holy Mother.

(head shot above)

Tatsuhiko, The Crimson Seraph, Lord of the Sanguine Cross, Lord of the Eastern Provinces.

Tatsuhiko was the youngest of the Guardian Seraphim, being the last one created by the Goddess long ago. He generally looks up to the others for guidence on important matters, particularly Senkaku and Mitsukai (in whom he sees as a mother figure or elder sister). His title "The Crimson Seraph" came from the Demons themselves as they saw him coming, his long crimson stained hair and red armor giving him the name. Tatsuhiko was known for having a burning hatred for the demons, over zealous and willing to go to any lengths to purge the "cancer" from the world. He was also considered wise and had a kind heart towards the other Guardians and the children of men alike. He agreed with Mitsukai that the children of men should be taught the worship of the Goddess as it would help them resist the temptation and corruption offered by the hellspawn demons. On the other hand, he agreed with Senkaku that the Guardians themselves shouldn't get too close to the humans, lest they push them a little too far and fast.

As such, he was often the decieding factor in the other's arguements on what to do. Often being cowed by either Senkaku or Mitsukai into their side of the conflict. All of this would change one day, however, as the children of men grew and built their own empires. Soon, they could protect themselves and started worshipping the same Goddess, only with a different interpretation.

More to come later.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Nice story!
At least I stopped short of proposing.
Shani deserves someone normal.
Someone who will care for her, not wander the world risking his neck for a handful of coin.
I have no right to put her and Alvin in that position.
I'm a Witcher.
And sometimes I miss them... her.
~Geralt Of Rivia, White wolf.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 AM

Loremaster

It gets better.

As the humans progressed they learned more about the Goddess until pretty much all of them worshipped or honored her. Though they didn't all do it in the same manner. Soon a Prophet appeared amongst them that began to prophecy that he had contact with the Goddess, and began to preach about her, and the thing is most of his words rang true it seemed. What was so strange, however, is that the Guardians had recieved no word of this from their Mother. Infact, since being sent down to the world they had started to feel like they were growing distant from their Goddess. When she sent the Four to the world to insure it's safety she told them that once their task was completed she would return them to Paradise, to be with her once more. As the centuries past, the demons began to have a field day with the human race. No longer content with simply rampaging around, they began to subtily convert and manipulate the humans into serving them. It didn't help matters that the children of men were easily led astray by otherworldy powers, or succumbed to greed and pride. Indeed, it seemed as though the Guardians were being hard pressed to stamp out the corruption.

The Eastern Provinces had a Shinto/Buddist outlook on Her, while the West had a view of the Holy Mother that outwordly resembles Roman Catholisim. While the religious leaders of these groups agreed with each other in the Goddess that they claimed to serve, they disagreed on other matters within it as well. Soon a Prophet appeared amongst them that began to prophecy that he had contact with the Goddess, and began to preach about Her. He would later be known as Saint Xavier the Ascendant, and he preached a message of redemption and a higher walk of righteousness. Of how men could remove the shackles of corruption and walk in the Light. "The Goddess has told me," He said " of how if men will walk in righteousness, and turn away from the darkness within their own hearts. That the children of men shall one day inheret the earth, and shall enter the Gates of Paradise. They shall have dominion over all as her favorite children!"

Now it's a pretty inspiring message. That they could become greater than just what they were, however, it didn't sit right with Senkaku. To arrogantly proclaim them as the favorite children of the Goddess. Did that mean that the Goddess favored these lowly beings over the Four....over him? So he sat back and waited patiently as the Prophet delievered his message, more and more humans converted to the worship of the Goddess, as they sang her praises and proclaimed his message. Though, there was much corruption in the world still, some was even poping up inside of the Church of the West, as the demons delighted in turning the hearts of the faithful for their sordid games. Senkaku is noted for having personally slain many a priest for having conspired with the forces of darkness, or those he suspected were doing so. After seeing the way humanity constantly cheated, raped, misused, and killed one another, Senkaku wondered "Could these wretched monkies infact be Her favorite......did she love them more than she did them? It was not a thought he liked, no he didn't like it at all. Did this mean that she wasn't going to return them to Paradise, instead giving it to the humans as an inheritence? Did they somehow displease her? Did they fail her...did he fail her?

What made matters worse was the fact that one of them, Mitsukai, had began to embrace this Prophet and the message her brought. Spreading the glory of the Goddess to the humans was an honor she claimed, and that Senkaku was just being paranoid. Kokoro and Tatsuhiko didn't really pay that much attention to the movement, Kokoro was always a loner at heart and was content to stay out in the wilds with his pack. Tatsuhiko was busy hunting out demons, though he was often seen with Mitsukai helper her in her efforts. He could never explain it but whenever Mitsukai was in need he was always willing to help her, he had always looked up to her and couldn't say no to her.

Then the unthinkable happened. Mitsukai, the noble and vigilent Guardian, the most caring and forgiving of the Four, fell in love with a mortal. Oh, she knew within herself that it was wrong, for she was a spirit and was not ment for such things. But being in this fleshly avatar for so many centuries, she could not deny the feelings that were in her heart towards this man she had known for so long. He was a noble warrior named Kaze, and was a devout follower of the Goddess. They kept their relationship secret for as long as possible, until finally someone discovered it, and He was not happy.....

More to come....
Old 07-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Loremaster

So, does anyone want to know more of what I had planned? Thoughts, comments?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Arch-Druid

I can tell that you've put a lot of thought into this project, and the story shows a lot of promise so far. I've seen a lot of the concepts you're employing before, but you've given yourself room to develop them in distinct and interesting ways. I find myself wondering a bit about the demons and their nature, though. So far your descriptions of them have been in somewhat generic terms, and I'm curious if there's anything that sets them apart from the typical "I corrupt/devour souls!" demon template. Do they feel that they have a universal mission like the Burning Legion, are there packs of demons comparable to...say, the demons often seen in Inu-Yasha who hold a diversity of opinions on humans and their own roles in the world, or what about demons who feel that they are also children of the Goddess and have a higher purpose in the world?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM

Loremaster

As for the demons, they are in various forms. Only the ones I call "Hellspawn" are truly evil. The others are more or less the same as Yokai. You might have noticed dear Katsumi above, she is a Neko which is a form of cat yokai. The motives of the demons depend largely on what type of demon they are. In the world of demons might usually makes right. The stronger demons name themselves Demon Lords with the strongest calling themselves Dark Masters. They then tend to form clans or organizations based around certain areas in which they operate. Some are just rampaging hordes, others are more secretive covens of spellcasters, some have even formed crime syndicates to mask their diabolic nature.

Allow me to show you a hellspawn demon that I created as an ancient enemy of the Guardians. The Dark Master No'Rok.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/a...g?t=1183413335

No'Rok is one of the eldest of the demon race, he currently carries the title of Daemon, an ancient name that only the strongest of demonkind may carry. Spawned directly from the nightmares of the Goddess, he considers himself to be one of her children, and believes that his kind have the right to the mortal world because they were placed their first. He hates the Four Guardians with a passion and considers them invaders and opressers to his kind and his purpose. He thinks of the children of men as cattle that his kind can use as nurishment and fodder in their wars. To him, killing a human is no different than a human slaughtering a cow for meat.

Demons do believe in a higher calling, it is, however, the opposite of the Guardians' view. Some of them worship the Goddess, albeit the darker side of the Mother of Twilight, as they like to call her.

Another of the more ancient daemons is the Dark Master Nikushimi, who's dark mechanations have been felt for centuries. She clashed with the Guardians Senkaku and Kokoro in ages past, though she was defeated she managed to inflict a grevious wound on the left arm of Kokoro, effectively cursing that arm. As time goes on the curse will spread until it either destroys the Guardian, or transforms him into a Daemon. Senkaku, feeling personally responsible for the matter has vowed to cure his brother of the curse. This is one of the reasons why the Lone Wolf prefers the company of animals to humans , they don't judge him for the darker air that has surrounded him in recent years due to the curse.

Still.....Nikushimi was not destroyed, and though she was wounded she still lurks out in the world in some stygian hole, bidding her time until she regains her strength. As long as Senkaku holds control, however, she will not show herself fully. Kokoro constantly searches for signs of her, hoping that by slaying her his curse will be lifted.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 AM

Priestess of the Moon

That daemon you drew doesn't look too powerful...

It looks great, but it just looks like a weak demon or half-demon or something like that.

Other than that, the stories really interesting.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:14 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saim View Post
That daemon you drew doesn't look too powerful...

It looks great, but it just looks like a weak demon or half-demon or something like that.

Other than that, the stories really interesting.
Aye, that's the point. Looks aren't everything. He doesn't HAVE to look powerful to BE powerful.

Tags
thornby was here