Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 07-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default WoW Comics Podcast w/ Chris Metzen, etc

DC Comics has made a one-hour podcast available of a panel discussion from this year's Comic Con, featuring Chris Metzen, Mickey Nielson, and Jim Lee about the upcoming WoW Comic Series. You can listen to that right here (or if the link isn't working, the page it's on is here). It gives a neat overview of what went into planning the comic, what it will mean to WarCraft canon, and soforth. It also seems that most (or all?) of the new DC action figures are based off characters in the comic series. So definately give it a listen.

Or, Blizzplanet has a nice summary if you don't want to listen (and thanks also to Blizzplanet for spotting the podcast).

Last edited by Warlock; 07-30-2007 at 08:23 AM..
Old 07-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Did Micky Nielson quit and come back or something? His name has been popping up left and right lately.

The writer worked on Thor? This is very good news. Thor is a nice example of modernized fantasy...

"All of our human characters are either old, dead or they've become super villains."

Dear god. I can't believe he said that.

Pft. Why don't they just use Jaina for that role? Damn you Chris! How can I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time!? Curses!

Last edited by Aldrius; 07-28-2007 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

I just got done listening to it - very good. Though the damn MMOers need to stop asking retarded questions like "what will you do about AFKers in Alterac Valley?".. That's not even a Chris Metzen question.

It's really starting to sound like the main character is in fact going to be Varien Wrynn (who lost his memory), at least they sort of hinted that way. The Samwise alternate cover sure as hell looks like him.

It also sounds like Blizzcon will reveal a ton of shit. I have a feeling they may even do a trailer for the WarCraft movie.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Micky was dropping spoiler bombs left and right.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Pft. Why don't they just use Jaina for that role? Damn you Chris! How can I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time!? Curses!
Kind of a mixture of "hope and fear" for the future WC stories. Could be that, while it's cut-and-dried reducing a villain to a raid encounter for WoW, the mightiest heroes are harder to utilize as it stands without cutting out their legs from under them, so to speak. Though she's currently been unjustly reduced to standing around a pretty meaningless, empty outpost city in WoW, as far as lore is concerned she's just about the only human left with a pulse who bears legendary status from having led her people in one of the great wars (though it sure doesn't help that apparently legendary reknown among the humans of Azeroth seems to include martyrdom on the battlefield as a prerequisite). Anything she does risks shaking the foundations of WC's political situation if she's killed or otherwise removed from action, and to put things bluntly, this isn't Star Trek. In that, I mean that we can't really expect the Captain (or in this case the leader of an entire city) to regularly drop everything and personally take part in adventures when she has scores of people working for her whose job it is to deal with those things. The previous WC's jutsified it because that's the only time one does see that sort of thing: when faced with war on a massive scale, the higher-ups take up the sceptre of command and actually get directly involved. WoW is too static to feasibly have the Thralls, Jainas and Tyrandes constantly packing their bags and gallavanting around into players' questline events, and it'd be marginalizing to their importance if other media had them repeatedly wandering about on less-than-epic quests after what we've already seen them do in WC3 and before.

Case in point, the only responsible way to use the heroes is probably in a linear, tightly packaged story such as an RTS would provide, and we're more than likely a goodly ways from having another WC RTS. Since the human heroes have proven remarkably death-prone compared to the rest, we've got a depressingly small supply of viable ones still kicking, so it might indeed prove most effective at this time for them to use the other story-driven media to introduce the groundwork for future new ones.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:05 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 AM

Ranger

Old 07-29-2007, 02:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagren View Post
Thanks.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:24 AM

Loremaster

OMG OMG Chris Metzen called him "The Anti-Thrall"! Remember I called it first, I called it first!

Last edited by Kenzuki; 07-29-2007 at 05:35 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
OMG OMG Chris Metzen called him "The Anti-Thrall"! Remember I called it first, I called it first!
This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan...
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan...
So Neph, Scyth, still want to claim I don't know how the Light works......
Old 07-29-2007, 06:48 AM

Elune

If anyone here is Metzen, it's Cucumberman.

Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Eternal

It's not that you don't know how the light works, you just don't know what it is.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
So Neph, Scyth, still want to claim I don't know how the Light works......
Ken, anyone with a pulse would call him the Anti or Counter-Thrall just by reading the synopsis. I thought that before I even visited this board, so does that make me right on everything =P

Either way, I am starting to think more and more that this is going to be Varian Wrynn. I am extremely curious how it will all play out, I just hope we don't get to much of a role reversal. If this guy is the "Anti-Thrall" then we could be looking at a massive shift to the Horde being a lot more aggressive and less kind most of the time.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Chimaera
Send a message via MSN to Sp00ky

Well as long as the series will eventruly end with the king reganing his memory and return to Stormwind, well then I will be glad

THough I find it hard to belive that the Alliance would fail to reconise the king of Stormwind..
Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 AM

Elune

an "Anti-Thrall" would be an evil, demon-worshiping guy, who turns the alliance into the new weapon of the Burning Legion.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Ken, anyone with a pulse would call him the Anti or Counter-Thrall just by reading the synopsis. I thought that before I even visited this board, so does that make me right on everything =P

Either way, I am starting to think more and more that this is going to be Varian Wrynn. I am extremely curious how it will all play out, I just hope we don't get to much of a role reversal. If this guy is the "Anti-Thrall" then we could be looking at a massive shift to the Horde being a lot more aggressive and less kind most of the time.
Scyth, I was joking around because of the comment that Wulfgar made.

"This only proves that Metzen either reads this forum or is one of the members and pretends to be an innocent fan..."

I was trying to imply that I am Metzen. But anyway, I think it's a sure bet that it is Varian Wrynn. The dudes all but blurted it out when some geek mentioned the questline.

"Gee....that would make an excellent comic...."
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Eternal

Uhh... did anyone else notice?

Metzen is talking about Rexxar and how they changed him to a more major character by transplanting him to Outland. He then says that you need to suspend your disbelief since you can go back to Desolace and still see Rexxar and Misha wandering around. But you can't. Rokaro is the new Champion of the Horde and he now fulfills Rexxar's old post, gives his old quests, etc. Rexxar's no longer in Desolace at all.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
If anyone here is Metzen, it's Cucumberman.
The truth shines through.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
Uhh... did anyone else notice?

Metzen is talking about Rexxar and how they changed him to a more major character by transplanting him to Outland. He then says that you need to suspend your disbelief since you can go back to Desolace and still see Rexxar and Misha wandering around. But you can't. Rokaro is the new Champion of the Horde and he now fulfills Rexxar's old post, gives his old quests, etc. Rexxar's no longer in Desolace at all.
He forgot about the Nation of Gilneas man......
Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Does Metzen even play World of Warcraft?
Sometimes I wonder if he's become a retard.

Reminds me of the Southpark episode of World of Wacraft. The game designers don't even play the game. "I have a life!"
Old 07-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well he's obviously not a programmer.

I think Rob Pardo is the bridge really. Between Metzen and the programmers.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:57 PM

Eternal

My point was more that he seems to be making changes but then is unaware of how they filter down to the finished product. I realize this is a fairly minor detail, however it's one that has some implications about how to interpret World of Warcraft.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM

"Ganking some Alliance near Tarren Mill."
Maybe that guy gets hit by a car.

EDIT: I just laughed out loud... hardly subtle mentioning the King of Stormwind and whistling innocently.

Last edited by Timolas; 07-29-2007 at 02:37 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Wait a second...

Timolas did you just insult Jim Lee!?