Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Slowpokeking

Default Nether Dragons, are they wasted by Blizzard?

In TFT I think they are very cool. Powerful creature with unique shape. I wonder they are made of the Nether's void power and even most demons are afraid of them. Their leader should be as powerful as the Aspects. The info from the old RPG is pretty similar to my thoughts.

Quote:
Nether dragons, unrelated to real dragons and composed of pure nether energy, feast upon magic and minds.Nether dragons' original environment is the Twisting Nether and those worlds open to it, such as Outland. The spectral form of this creature vaguely resembles a dragon, with ghostly wings, jaws, and talons. Its shape shifts constantly, however, appearing insubstantial and ephemeral. Vibrant colors shoot through its pale body. Nether dragons are composed of nether energy and are only partially corporeal. Nether dragons are highly resistant to magic. Though nether dragons often resemble true dragons, most scholars believe them to be unrelated. Nether dragons are composed of pure nether energy, and as such are beings of chaos.

They feed on mana and magic of all kinds and constantly patrol the Twisting Nether and those worlds open to it, such as Outland, for nourishment. Nether dragons are unallied with the Burning Legion or any other faction, and so pose a threat to any they encounter. Though intelligent, nether dragons do not speak. They can communicate telepathically, but rarely choose to do so.

A nether dragon uses its greater arcane sight to home in on areas of powerful magic. It usually uses ethereal jaunt to approach invisibly, then unleashes its nether disjunction ability, quickened greater dispel magic, and a flurry of attacks against spellcasters. A nether dragon ignores nonspellcasters unless they inflict significant damage. A nether dragons uses its nether disjunction ability as often as it can, and uses quickened greater dispel magic every round on whichever foe has the most active spell effects. If severely injured, a nether dragon attempts to flee via ethereal jaunt.They are cousins of netherwyrms, although some believe that netherwyrms are full-grown nether dragons.

But in TBC it turns out they are just some mutated poor children, abandoned by Deathwing and enslaved by mortals. That's disappointing. Also their model sucks.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
But in TBC it turns out they are just some mutated poor children, abandoned by Deathwing and enslaved by mortals. That's disappointing. Also their model sucks.
Wrong.

The Nether dragon model was amazing. Fucking sky sharks.

But I do feel like they were wasted on a single questline. no matter how cool riding one is.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
Wrong.

The Nether dragon model was amazing. Fucking sky sharks.

But I do feel like they were wasted on a single questline. no matter how cool riding one is.
You mean the Nether drakes? They are cool but the dragon model sucks.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
You mean the Nether drakes? They are cool but the dragon model sucks.
The dragon model was just a dragon with more glow.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Slowpokeking

I still think "Powerful, savage magical being made of void power" is better than "Poor mutated children abandoned by their dad".
Old 12-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
The dragon model was just a dragon with more glow.
That dragon model was Taerar's model. The actual Nether Dragon model was never used until Wrath with those serpents in Coldarra. Or are we talking about the drakes?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

The TFT incarnation, as described by the now non-canon RPG, was too bland and uninteresting for me to say that they were wasted. And besides, I love the version we got in TBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
The TFT incarnation, as described by the now non-canon RPG, was too bland and uninteresting for me to say that they were wasted. And besides, I love the version we got in TBC.
Uh? They could still be some strong ally and enemy of us, rather just poor little children of DW.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I like their origin as creatures mutated by the energies released by Draenor's destruction. That's interesting. The one described in the RPG, not so much.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
I like their origin as creatures mutated by the energies released by Draenor's destruction. That's interesting. The one described in the RPG, not so much.
Fused by void power, beings of chaos, not even the legion could control is not interesting?

From my view, dragons are suppose to be powerful and scary rather than pitful.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:45 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Flying voidwalkers versus mutated shark-dragons trying to survive and find their place... I like the latter.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Loremaster

The thing is, tying them to the actual dragonflights cleared up certain past inconsistencies. Under the old definition, nether dragons - like faerie dragons - were yet another creature type called dragons and shaped kind of like dragons, yet having to be singled out and qualified as not being real dragons by out-of-universe material.

Plus their old description begged the question of why they were called nether dragons when the Twisting Nether lacks actual dragons from which to draw a comparison and inspire the name.

Now if only we knew how the Dragonmaw Clan got its name before the Dark Portal opened and exposed the orcs to actual dragons, it would only leave the faerie dragons as the last significant thing named after dragons for seemingly no reason.
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Flying voidwalkers versus mutated shark-dragons trying to survive and find their place... I like the latter.
Correction:

Extremely powerful flying void creatures, threat to all being including the demons, very intelligent and communicate telepathically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The thing is, tying them to the actual dragonflights cleared up certain past inconsistencies. Under the old definition, nether dragons - like faerie dragons - were yet another creature type called dragons and shaped kind of like dragons, yet having to be singled out and qualified as not being real dragons by out-of-universe material.

Plus their old description begged the question of why they were called nether dragons when the Twisting Nether lacks actual dragons from which to draw a comparison and inspire the name.

Now if only we knew how the Dragonmaw Clan got its name before the Dark Portal opened and exposed the orcs to actual dragons.
What inconsistencies? Nowhere said they were related to Azeroth dragons. They came to Outland, so those creatures there could name them with this because they resemble Azeroth dragon.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 12-29-2011 at 02:57 PM..

Quote:
Fused by void power, beings of chaos, not even the legion could control is not interesting?
Yep, not interesting.

Quote:
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Yep, not interesting.
Most of the dragons in ancient myth are powerful, chaotic and scary, like Fafnir and the dragon in Beuwolf.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I find the Nether Drakes in TBC to be awesome honestly the problem was that they were not elaborated on afterwards even in Cataclysm i thought we would see a few aid us considering how dire they tried to make the Cataclysm look.

Quote:
Most of the dragons in ancient myth are powerful, chaotic and scary, like Fafnir and the dragon in Beuwolf.
Yes they look cool but are ultimately there to die and make a specific champion look good... Its rare i find a Dragon actually look menacing considering how much they are used for the same role over and over.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:06 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Everyone has their own pet race.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Revenant - Moderator

After TBC, they helped restore Malygos in a comic that no one (even Blizzard) cared about, and in a lame novel and once in-game were shown to be the main ingredient for twilight dragons. Anything else? I think they could have done more.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Yes they look cool but are ultimately there to die and make a specific champion look good... Its rare i find a Dragon actually look menacing considering how much they are used for the same role over and over.
Yeah, I don't know why people enjoy to slay dragons so much, but I like dragon to be that powerful and threatening. Azeroth dragons are mostly too crazy or slow.

If Blizzard use the old setting, Nether dragons are not allied with the legion so they don't have to be enemy for sure. Some of them can be neutral, at least in TBC. Make some ally with them and fight Illidan's forces/the legion.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I don't know why people enjoy to slay dragons so much, but I like dragon to be that powerful and threatening. Azeroth dragons are mostly too crazy or slow.

If Blizzard use the old setting, Nether dragons are not allied with the legion so they don't have to be enem for sure. Some of them can be neutral, at least in TBC. Make some ally with them and fight Illidan's forces/the legion.
They were voidwalkers. They eat things.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Elune

Quote:

If Blizzard use the old setting, Nether dragons are not allied with the legion so they don't have to be enemy for sure. Some of them can be neutral, at least in TBC. Make some ally with them and fight Illidan's forces/the legion.
The Nether Drakes in TBC are fine.... They are still Neutral as they don't have ties with the Legion and could make for a great story with Wrathion and Sabellian.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
They were voidwalkers. They eat things.
Fire elemental and Phoenix are not the same thing.

Nether Dragon are all intelligent and highly resistant to magic, they are a higher life form than voidwalkers.

Quote:
The Nether Drakes in TBC are fine.... They are still Neutral as they don't have ties with the Legion and could make for a great story with Wrathion and Sabellian.
The problems are:

They are not powerful enough, not scary enough, even pitful and need rescue from the mortals. They are dragons, not worms.

Their dragon model sucks.

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 12-29-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
The problems are:

They are not powerful enough, not scary enough, even pitful and need rescue from the mortals. They are dragons, not worms.

Their dragon model sucks.
There Dragon Models far from suck as they are stupidly popular and would be seen all over if getting them was not such a grind.

They are stupidly powerful are shown on many occasions like the Manga being helped by mortals does not tarnish that at all you are just being extremely silly currently.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
There Dragon Models far from suck as they are stupidly popular and would be seen all over if getting them was not such a grind.

They are stupidly powerful are shown on many occasions like the Manga being helped by mortals does not tarnish that at all you are just being extremely silly currently.
Dragon model, not drake model.

What power do they have compare to the old setting? In the old setting not even the legion could not let them obey and in TBC some fel orcs were able to capture their broodmother?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Power does not inherently make something interesting.

Quote: