Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Tol Barad & Stormwind Vault exploration videos

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-20-2007, 02:59 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I doubt you're capable of pulling off such a feat- simple photoshop can create the loading screens, and as others have pointed out, the "tol barad" instance is the beta scarlet monastary (and scarlet monastary, like deadmines, was designed early, as there are models in the WoW modelviewer for old humans decked in SM gear).

I wouldn't be surprised if your vault video is for a beta stockades too. I doubt that you're the first person on a private server to go into those places, so I doubt those are the instances you claim they are.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Wowmapviewer has a Stormwind Vault or something like that, but it's been in there since release I think. Just like a BETA Stockades or something.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:18 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

It's Scarlet Monastery:
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery...e.php?pos=-926

Look familiar?

It's from before they split it into four seperate wings.

The later video may be the Vault, or it may be an alpha Stockades. It's been in the game forever though. My personal guess is that it was intended as the Vault, but was never released either because Blizzard wanted some event or quest series to trigger entrance (i.e. the RPG books mentions demons escaping from it and running amuck in Stormwind) and/or it's possible Blizzard felt it was too similar to the Stockades.

Personally I lean towards the later, it's really just a gigantic Stockades. And the Stockades suck. If Blizzard ever actually does make that dungeon, I think it's likely they'll radically redesign it - maybe have it start out like the Stockades, but then get crazy and surreal as you get down to "where the more dangerous prisoners are kept". It is a vault for magical creatures afterall.

But who knows, the logistics of forcing another instance into a faction-controlled city may be the other issue. Horde can't get there. That's a waste for Blizzard. And would they then have to make one for Horde too?

BTW, I believe it's way bigger than that video shows, I'd have to look again - it's been a really long time. I think there are actually two levels to it - likely the bottom level is not properly connected to the top so it wasn't actually explored in the video.

Last edited by Warlock; 09-20-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 09-20-2007, 09:27 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

They could pull a Gnomeregan for the Vault.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post

But who knows, the logistics of forcing another instance into a faction-controlled city may be the other issue. Horde can't get there. That's a waste for Blizzard. And would they then have to make one for Horde too?
Plus if Outland taught us anything, it's that the highest-level content is ever more a carbon-copy between the player factions. Inevitably as one progresses toward the current level cap, player factions become less involved and neutral groups become more responsible for giving quest content, while the Horde/Alliance NPC's seem to start sharing increasingly similar quest itineraries. Adding faction-limited instances would mean coming up with seperate heirarchies of questlines for each faction to "climb", and that'd be very contrary to the current trend. Instead, these days Blizz seems to prefer planting an instance in the middle or at one end of the zone, sticking each faction's base(s) roughly the same distance away from it (and usually at least one neutral base as well), and giving them nearly symmetrical paths of progression that both end in the same dungeon with the same goals and rewards, with perhaps some item name changes for factional "flavor".

They also seem set on maintaining the contradictory practice of trying not to force high-level players to traverse lowbie zones for content while still maintaining auction houses in only Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:33 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DrunkenPanda#1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
They could pull a Gnomeregan for the Vault.
That's what I was thinking. The Vault is completely sealed off. Even if they added a port for the Horde, it's not like they could raid Stormwind from it.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
That's what I was thinking. The Vault is completely sealed off. Even if they added a port for the Horde, it's not like they could raid Stormwind from it.
Having horde inside stormwind to raid for phat lootz is a bit too much.
At least I stopped short of proposing.
Shani deserves someone normal.
Someone who will care for her, not wander the world risking his neck for a handful of coin.
I have no right to put her and Alvin in that position.
I'm a Witcher.
And sometimes I miss them... her.
~Geralt Of Rivia, White wolf.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Elune

I would like the vault to be pvp-like:

Horde must rescue some people from the vault.

Alliance must protect the vault and don't let horde rescue the prisoners.

Anyway, I know it used to be old SM, but what da hell is doing replaced in another id and with a loading screen related to Tol Barad?

They replaced the old one with the new one, and put the old one in another id...

Perhaps they tried to recicle?

Greetings.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 AM

Eternal

The Stockades is supposed to be for the common criminals. The Vault is for demons and people who could foreseeably circumvent the Stockades. The Horde doesn't want the creatures in the Vault released any more than the Alliance.

And they're not going to feed us an old version of the Scarlet Monastery and disguise it as new content.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Elune

Are you sure?

Naxxrammas...

Greetings.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Are you sure?

Naxxrammas...

Greetings.
How many percent of WoW-players have cleared Naxx?

How many have cleared SM?

Anti-Greetings.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Elune

I don't know nobody who has cleared an unreacheable instance...

Like clearin Zul'Aman, Azhsara crater or Designer's island...

Hoho-greetings.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
I don't know nobody who has cleared an unreacheable instance...

Like clearin Zul'Aman, Azhsara crater or Designer's island...

Hoho-greetings.
When since has either SM or Naxx been unreachable?

Yo-Ho-apirateslifeforme-Greetings.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:09 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
The Stockades is supposed to be for the common criminals. The Vault is for demons and people who could foreseeably circumvent the Stockades. The Horde doesn't want the creatures in the Vault released any more than the Alliance.
Well, probably not ALL of the prisoners, but perhaps there's a high level prisoner there of interest to one of the Horde races, maybe a case of wrongful imprisonment somewhere, or someone the Horde wants dead? Considering very little is known about the Vault, Blizzard certainly has enough leeway to create a mission sending Horde players into the Vault without it being nonsensical...

Of course, considering Gnomeregan is one of if not the most annoying instance Horde-side, creating one Horde quest just to give Horde players a reason to visit the Vault might not be the best idea...

Ar, matey!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:24 AM

Elune

perhaps Kilrogg, for example xD.

You can't reach the old SM in official servers, I'd to get in a friends-video-recording server for entering these zones...

I hadn't say Naxx is unreacheable... I had say Old SM, Zul'Aman, Azhsara crater and Designer's island are...

Gr33tings.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
perhaps Kilrogg, for example xD.

You can't reach the old SM in official servers, I'd to get in a friends-video-recording server for entering these zones...

I hadn't say Naxx is unreacheable... I had say Old SM, Zul'Aman, Azhsara crater and Designer's island are...

Gr33tings.
Beta-SM is 75% the same instance as the four instances we know as GY, Lib, Arm and Cath.

edit: Gee-Ar-eetings...

Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 PM

Eternal

The beta Naxxramas went under huge changes by the time it went live. The correlation doesn't really apply here. Besides, the beta version of Naxxramas wasn't released outside of Naxxramas. What you're suggesting here is that AFTER the Scarlet Monastery has been released, an older version of the same instance will be released as something else.

While the Vault has had little information released on it, the whole idea is that it's for prisoners who would be too dangerous to hold in the Stockades. I'm not discounting that perhaps the Alliance has wrongfully imprisoned Horde characters, however it's unlikely that anyone would have been imprisoned in the Vault.

Also keep in mind that the Horde and Alliance are NOT at war. Battlegrounds represent areas where conflicts between the factions have escalated into violent confrontation, but there's no war. Were the Horde to infiltrate and release prisoners from an Alliance prison in the heart of Stormwind City, that WOULD be an act of war, and the Alliance would be forced to act. All the battlegrounds represent gray areas, where each faction has a foreseeable claim, from their perspective. Invading an enemy prison is pretty blatant a flouting of any semblance of peace between the Horde and Alliance. Were any prisoners to be wrongfully arrested and imprisoned, the Horde would pursue diplomatic means to freeing them, not send in forces to free them.

Last edited by Nephalim; 09-21-2007 at 12:50 PM..
Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Chimaera
Send a message via MSN to Sp00ky

The fact that there is not open war is only half true however
the introductions to the Human and Dwarf races speak of their forces having been despatched to far away lands to battle the horde.

I have never realy knew how understand that, since its only mentioned in the alliance racial intro and starting quests, while on the horde side no refrences to such a war are made, and there is a huge lack of evidence for an Alliance invasion force (No, the Kul'tiras marines does not count)

Consorting with the Fallen Ones is heresy!
- Aldaris

Old 09-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Eternal

Keep in mind that Katrana Prestor has had the human and dwarf forces diverted from the homeland (and, one could assume, eaten) to leave them more open to attack.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
I'm in agreement here. While releasing prisoners from the Vault would be ridiculous, having the Horde go in to kill certain prisoners wouldn't be too bad. It's not much different from them entering Gnomeregan.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I'm in agreement here. While releasing prisoners from the Vault would be ridiculous, having the Horde go in to kill certain prisoners wouldn't be too bad. It's not much different from them entering Gnomeregan.
They are entering into the heart of an Alliance fortified fortress, The Human capital which is heavily populated is not much different from entering a toxic, abandoned overruned capital?
At least I stopped short of proposing.
Shani deserves someone normal.
Someone who will care for her, not wander the world risking his neck for a handful of coin.
I have no right to put her and Alvin in that position.
I'm a Witcher.
And sometimes I miss them... her.
~Geralt Of Rivia, White wolf.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:38 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drirlake View Post
They are entering into the heart of an Alliance fortified fortress, The Human capital which is heavily populated is not much different from entering a toxic, abandoned overruned capital?
You're still entering the capital city of your enemy. Hell, the Alliance could think the Horde are trying to claim Gnomeregan, which could surely ignite a war, right?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Except Gnomeregan is in enemy hands as it is anyway.
Imagine Horde players turning up in the middle of the canals?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Eternal

Quote:
The Alliance could think the Horde are trying to claim Gnomeregan, which could surely ignite a war, right?
Ultimately it would be the gnomes' call, and they're fairly reasonable, logical people with relatively little stake in the tensions with the Horde, and they're probably willing to take all the help they can get. The dwarves might not be very comfortable with the idea of Horde soldiers porting into their mountains, but the threat it minimal, and they're going in under the order of goblins, not any Horde officials. If the gnomes don't have a problem with it, the dwarves probably have little basis for complaint.