Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-13-2008, 11:58 AM

Druid of the Talon

Orb of Fire

I've started my own fan fic now, still. It's a for english work in school. So i wont post it. But if i do, then its when i'm done.

*Edit* I Do will post the fan fic here, but still when i'm done.
And i want to thank Kerrah, he have given my alot of inspiration.

I Hope to be finished soon, as it's school work i prob will work with it alot so it wont take long time.

Last edited by Archigeras; 01-14-2008 at 04:57 AM..
Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Looking forward to it!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Chapter Three

As Guy flew trough the air, his eyes flew wide. The beast he had killed was standing, breathing and killing people again, though still undead.

The dawning isles in the middle of Lake Lordamere echoed with loud, murderous laugher.

The troll, whatever his name was, sprung to its feet and rolled to get its weapons. For the fraction of a second, Guy felt shame for trying to kill the thing, but then the necessity of the battle replaced all emotions.

All but wrath.

For the smallest of moments, the creature stood high above the knocked-down Guy and the knelt-down troll, looking somehow regal in its own bestial, diabolic way. For that one blink of an eye, Guy thought he saw savage intellect, instead of murderous hate, in the green eyes.

Then the beast lowered, peered its eyes, and snarled, and the illusion was gone.

Its mandibles moved as it spoke in Guy's voice: "It all ends here. Good bye..."

The troll raised its hands, holding its weapons high. "Your sword is powerful against this thing. Do not lose it at any cost."

Guy nodded, knowing the troll could not see it. He stood up, keeping the sword ready in case the monster moved. It did not. It was waiting for them to get ready for the fight...

Guy dusted himself and embraced his anger. In his mind, he spoke a prayer:

Oh almighty Light, fill me with the righteous anger of a true crusader and give me the might to show my faith in you by making vengeance against this unholy beast.

He felt a tickling in the fingers crossed around the Shadowfang. For a second, all seemed to turn red...

Then the troll jumped at the monster. Guy shook his head and took a wobbling step. All turned back to normal. The troll was holding his own pretty well against the monster, but would not be able to keep it that way for long.

Guy sheathed the sword and bent down and got his bow and arrows.

His opening showed itself at once, as the beast knocked its enemy back. Guy nocked and arrow and shot it deep into the overly large head. It sunk deep in.

He was nocking another one when the troll yelled: "Stop that. Arrows are no use here. Things of this power have to be killed with magical weaponry, or just sliced into so small pieces that they can't regerate anymore."

Guy went on with his archery, shouting: "You would know all there is to know about regeneration..." He took a moment's pause, shooting his second arrow into the beast's body. "...troll."

The beast charged the troll, taking it by surprise. It took its foe's axe and threw it into the woods, but in response got sliced by the sword. A third arrow sunk into it, but it did not seem to care.

Guy knew that he was not achieving anything by shooting arrows at the monster, and his guts suddenly told him to charge it, so he dropped his bow into the ground and unsheathed the Shadowfang again.

The metallic ringing filled the air. The monster turned around, tilting its head and focusing its eyes in the sword. Guy thought for a second that it knew it had been slain by that weapon earlier, then he remembered that it was just a monster without any rational thought.

The troll got two free hits with its sabre thanks to this distraction, but then got its head punched by a stone-hard fist, sending it flying back.

It was just it and Guy now.

The two stood in the shore of the lake, staring at each other. Guy touched the holy wrath again, feeling the need to destroy this being prominent.

A view dry leaves whirled between the crusader and the abomination of nature.

The beast let out a shriek and ran at Guy, who took a natural defensive position, leaning back and readying his sword.

The creature jumped just before coming into strike range. It hit the trunk of a tree, from which it pounced at the befuddled Guy, striking him down.

It ripped long, painful scars to his chest, letting out insane laughter. Guy, lucky for not being disarmed, stabbed its chest, making it jump back. He needed to get up if he was going to survive.

The creature did not seem to think alike with him about the direction of the battle, grabbing his right shoulder painfully before he could straighten himself. It twisted until he dropped his sword, let out a mad cackle and kicked him down.

"Traitors never live long, Guy", it spoke. It knew imitating his father would be the worst possible taunt. Guy grabbed the Shadowfang again, but the thing's foot stomped on his fingers a split second later.

"Those loyal to the Light will not fall." Saiden Dathoran's voice echoed in the air.

Guy swallowed. "And so, I shall not."

He pushed himself up, hitting the creature in the chest with his head. Though the strike was not powerful in itself, it was enough to push it back a step, releasing Guy's hand. His fingers tightened around the handle of the sword and he let it slice trough the air.

He rent the rotten flesh of the monster, which screamed and jumped back.

The crusader did not give the enemy the chance to surprise him this time, but pursued the beast with his sword thrust forward.

The attack sunk the weapon deep in the abdomen of the creature. It turned its body and stepped back, taking the sword with itself.

Guy tried to roll after his weapon, but was too slow. The creature hit him across the chest and pushed him down, bringing its own weigh on top of him. Guy almost fainted due to the crushing fall.

The monster straightened its sharp fingers and thrust its hand at Guy's chest, clearly intending to rip out his heart.

The troll jumped between them, ripping the Shadowfang out of the beast's abdomen and interrupting its strike. The beast reacted by instead thrusting its hand into the troll's shoulder. Its fingers slipped through the armour like a knife through butter.

The troll screamt in pain and dropped the sword. The monster threw it backwards.

Guy caught the sword during its fall, took a firm grip of the haft and brought forth a vertical slice, starting from the beast's pelvis.

The monster howled as its entire lower body was split to two vertically. Guy rolled away from it in fear of retribution, but realised his opponent was not in any shape to take revenge. Its feet could not support its unbalanced body and it was clearly in too much pain to think about hurting people.

It fell down in the shore of the lake, the fingers of its reaching right hand dipping into the water.

Guy watched in amazement as its fingers glowed and the enormous wound almost separating it in two begun to heal.

Anger gripped him as he furiously released a flurry of stabs into the creature's body. It screamed as its regeneration could not keep up with the damage. Then, after about ten stabs, its body suddenly turned into dust, just like before.

Guy was left standing on the edge of the water alone, holding a bloody sword and feeling little if any happiness for the victory.

Far high above him, some kind of a bird soared a circle before heading north, at the direction of Lordaeron City.

Dakarr rode trough the gates of Caer Darrow. The guards manning the turrets of the lifeless town saluted him.

High Executor Derrington came striding to him. "Saluted be the Champion of the Banshee Queen!"

Dakarr smiled. "Saluted be the commander of her armies! It is good to see you, Derrington."

They walked to the castle in the middle of the town. Next to it was a large hole, where once had stood a mighty runestone. Dakarr told Derrington Sylvanas' orders about the defence of the lake's bottom. The executor saluted him again and left to gather together underwater patrols of his best men.

As the champion of the Forsaken, Dakarr would tomorrow leave to represent his people in the eastern front. Sylvanas had issued orders not to 'waste' any soldiers for now, but they needed to show they were still a part of the war.

For now, the Forsaken would be fortified in Caer Darrow. Scholomance, the school of necromancy once hidden there, had been destroyed by Alliance agents, who had collapsed it with a giant load of gunpowder. As a sign of cooperation, the island was given to the Forsaken to work as a new operation post on their eastern campaigns, while others used Andorhal. Now it was replacing the Undercity as their capital.

Many un-lives, both civilian and military, had been lost. And what was even worse, Sylvanas was fairly sure Varimathras had sold them out to the Lich King. Dakarr could not disagree with that conclusion, he had himself been there when the Dread Lord had told the Banshee Queen that the Perinany Legion had been decimated, and now it was occupying Tirisfal.

Before, Dakarr had been the champion of Varimathras, and the leader of the Septem, his elite agents. While Sylvanas and her champion had focused on the Plaguelands and the Scourge, Varimathras and the Septem had been the ones to deal with other threats. Dakarr had dealt with the Quillboar of Razorfen Downs and lead the Horde to prevail in Blackrock Spire.

Ultimately, as it became more evident the war in Lordaeron was nearing its end, or so it seemed back then, the Septem had returned to deal with an important thing right under Sylvanas' nose, the Book of Ur.

Arugal, a former archmage of Dalaran, had, with the help of the book, summoned bestial wolfmen called the Worgen into Azeroth and secured his own nation in Silverpine Forest. The archmage had evaded death for long, but, just before the arrival of the Septem, had died by the hands of a raiding crew.

However, the book had been intercepted on its way to the Undercity, and Varimathras had sent the Septem after whomever had got it. The demon had, however, told his agents to stay away from the mountains north of Silverpine, even if they were sure their target was there.

It did not take a genius to realise he had known that the Perinany Legion, which he had made everyone think was destroyed, was up on those mountains.

Varimathras had vanished later, on the eve of the Scourge invasion. The Septem had continued its mission of pursuing the Book of Ur, until its carrier, Arugal's apprentice Esca, had taken it to Dalaran. Dakarr had got orders from Lady Sylvanas to return to her aid, letting the book go.

On their way to Caer Darrow, one man had gone missing...

Dakarr sighed heavily as he stepped into the Deathstalkers' new headquarters. Sometimes he wished he could return to his old life, a life where he wouldn't have to do this...

Mennet Carkad, the master Deathstalker, bowed. "Hail be to thee, champion. What business do you have to our lowly abode?"

Dakarr steeled himself. "Put an agent after Dab'Ra Soulburn, who deserted the cause of the Forsaken at our critical moment. Queen Windrunner believes he might have been the eyes and ears of Varimathras the Traitor within the Septem."

Dakarr knew Sylvanas was wrong, but orders were orders.

Carkad nodded. "Is this a high-profile case, or can we issue a lower-ranking agent? Our most skilled agents are on the other side of the front."

"A high-ranker, Soulburn is a powerful wizard."

While leaving, he hung his head, asking forgiveness from his friend.

Guy stopped above Zak'Dan. The troll looked both relieved and frustrated.

"Where were we?" it asked, "Oh yes, you were about to kill me while I try to save your life. Well I saved your life now, how about you take mine and we'll be done with it?"

Guy sheathed the sword again and bent to see the troll's wounds. "I won't kill you, but I can't take you with me, you're wounded."

Zak'Dan smiled. "I'll be fine before next morning."

"No you won't, that's a pretty deep wound there. I'm no doctor, but I can tell you won't be able to travel with it."

"You're right, I can't, but the wound won't remain for long. Troll regeneration."

Guy bent back. "Where do I have to wound you so that I can dump you behind?"

For a moment they stared at each other's eyes. Then both roared with laugher.

Guy tied the troll's wounds and helped him out of the red armour. They discussed, what they could do about the creature's possible rebirth, but came into the conclusion that they were unable to do anything just now. After that, Zak'Dan rested while Guy secured their surroundings.

After all of that was done, the crusader sat next to the troll he had tried to kill half an hour earlier and started a discussion.

"So, what do you do for living? Besides saving people and helping them on epic quests?"

"I work for a goblin noble in Booty Bay. He is a bibliophile, and I hunt exotic books for him."

"Bibliophile? What does he do to those books again?"

"Some he reads, others he just keeps in storage without ever opening. He has the largest collection of books anywhere in Azeroth."

"Where does he make his money, then?"

"Inherited it all, his father was a Trade Prince."

"So, what brought you here to Lordaeron?"

"Dalaran. A lot of interesting literature there."

"And they just let you come in and buy books?"

"Who said anything of buying?"

Guy gave a laugh. "How did you get into that kind of a profession? I can imagine thousands of easier ways to get the bread to the table."

"I love learning and acquiring new information, and in most cases my boss doesn't mind that I read each book I get him once.

So, why did you become a crusader, then?"

"Not too many comparing choices. Our parents had just died - mine and my sister's, that is - and we were in a chaotic world. We didn't have money to buy horses and travel south, we didn't know of any other community that had survived the Scourge... And the closest relative we had was in the Crusade."

"That was five years ago, you were still a whelp back then!"

"I had been trained swordsmanship and archery by said relative. My sister was protected by the Crusade in exchange for my serving in the army."

"They would not protect you and your sister without one of you fighting for them?"

"Obviously not. Food supplies were very scarce. And besides, later on my sister had to join the army too."

"I take it that was after the famous Saiden Dathoran took control?"

"He had to do it! The crusade had lost many soldiers."

"I'm sure you're right, but right now I have to sleep, to help my healing. Don't do anything guilty while I'm asleep."

"I won't. Sweet dreams, young prince."

Guy risked both their lives that night and slept. He awoke around when sun rose.

Guy had always been good at waking up early, and now it would be of use.

In the silence of early morning, he gathered his items, moved them to the boat they had used to get to the island, and pushed it off from the shore, into the surface of the lake.

"Going somewhere?" Zak'Dan was standing up, his wounds healed.

Guy paddled himself away from the shore and then turned around. "Sorry I had to do this. See ya!"

The troll put his hands on his hips. "And do you think you can succeed on your mission without the key to the lockbox?"

Guy stopped. The key, which he normally kept dangling against his chest, was gone. "Why you little..."

Zak'Dan shook his head. "I'll keep the key to myself, just to make sure this doesn't happen anymore. And you can promise yourself that if you kill me or let me die, you won't ever find it."

Guy turned his boat around and made his way to the shore. He stood up and sighed heavily. "Let's get going, shall we?"
Okay, NOW I'm going to take that break to write school stuff.

The mission is: "Write the first chapter of a novel."

Hmm... But what kind of a novel should I choose... [sarcasm]

Last edited by Kerrah; 02-29-2008 at 05:22 AM..
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 AM

Druid of the Talon

Orb of Fire

Nye.. I hope Sylvannas don't want Dab'Ra Dead :o i like that guy >.<
Old 01-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Elune

I have ask everyone to excuse me for something.

I've called the eastern front of the war "The River Caeran" bridge, not remembering that the river I'm thinking of already has a name, the Thondroril River.

I've made the required changes to earlier chapters.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Elune

Wee, finally read the first 3 chapters and i really liked the descriptions of events (like battles) and the conversations.

There was just _one tiny thing_ i didn't like and that was you saying the Crusader mage was running out ouf mana, i'm sorry but i just found that way too ingame. Like maybe you could have said he was getting exhausted due to the arcane addiction or something, but i found the mana thing abit silly, but hey its your story and you can just spit on my little comment. :o)

Otherwise i really like the story, Zak'dan and Guy are interesting, and the whole Caer Darrow +Dakarr hopefully gets into more war scenary.

PS. Hopefully more action from Mograine the Ashbringer! (: And i liked the Beast's imitation skills, a nice ability to fear/taunt people.

Last edited by Drz; 01-19-2008 at 07:45 PM..
Old 01-20-2008, 02:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Wee, finally read the first 3 chapters and i really liked the descriptions of events (like battles) and the conversations.

There was just _one tiny thing_ i didn't like and that was you saying the Crusader mage was running out ouf mana, i'm sorry but i just found that way too ingame. :P Like maybe you could have said he was getting exhausted due to the arcane addiction or something, but i found the mana thing abit silly, but hey its your story and you can just spit on my little comment. :o)

Otherwise i really like the story, Zak'dan and Guy are interesting, and the whole Caer Darrow +Dakarr hopefully gets into more war scenary.

PS. Hopefully more action from Mograine the Ashbringer! (: And i liked the Beast's imitation skills, a nice ability to fear/taunt people.
I like to be really technical with magic. I don't actually know whether mana is canon in Warcraft.

Thanks for the feedback. I already have an awesome (fight) scene planned out for Mograine for some of the coming three chapters.

(to everyone:) Next chapter shouldn't take long, as I already wrote one scene that will be in it originally for chapter 3, but realised I had to push it back a bit.

Last edited by Kerrah; 01-20-2008 at 02:38 AM..
Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Good chapter; you pulled the fight off really well. Normally fight scenes bore me to death in fanfics because making them interesting is rather difficult. You did the one in the last chapter very well.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 AM

Elune

Next chapter will be all character development and story unveiling and no action, to balance the pretty action-based early chapters.

Just warning ya all.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Chapter Four

Zak watched at the blue sky to avoid watching the rotting trees on the islands around them. He, however, never took his eyes too far from the crusader sitting opposite of him in the boat. He simply could not understand why the human would not agree on cooperation.

The troll let out a sigh and rowed to the right. Below them, in the dank water, he could see the outline of a sunken ship. Wanting to break the silence, he coughed. "Do you know how that ship got there?"

Guy rubbed his chin a little with his hand before saying anything. "I heard it sunk during the Second War, but I've never heard specifics."

Zak kept rowing. "It was the zenith of the war. The Horde was about to win. They had already defeated the defenders of Dalaran and driven the Kirin Tor into exile, and now they had moved their navy onto Lake Lordamere. The move was totally uncalled for by the Alliance, who had been preparing to defend Silverpine Forest and the path to Lordaeron City.

The humans had precious little ships on the lake, and those few were not designed for naval warfare. They tried to use their mobility to circle around the orc destroyers and juggernauts and sink as many transport ships to cause maxium casualty. The strategy was effective, but not enough to stop the Horde.

The the orcs' chieftains gathered on that island over there, named Tidedeep Isle back then, to prepare their final assault into the end of the Alliance.

Among the orcs was one who had not taken part in the war yet. A chieftain named Fenris the Hunter. The casualties of the war had taken even Warchief Doomhammer by surprise, and he knew he needed more help to crush the human opposition after Lordaeron was destroyed, and he had called Fenris there to demand the help of his clan, the Thunderlord.

After everything was set, Doomhammer gave a speech to the chieftains, as well as his other allies, telling them that the end of the war was nearing. Before giving Fenris the Hunter his demand, he declared the island was thereby renamed Fenris Isle.

However, just after that declaration, a dragon messenger arrived, telling that Gul'dan the Warlock was not studying the secrets of Dalaran, but had taken the navies left at the Great Sea and was sailing away.

Doomhammer had to make a decision between pursuing the betrayer and ending the Alliance."

Guy licked his lips. "I've heard that once, but what does it have to do with the ship down there?"

"Well, after the Warchief commanded all the armies to retreat back to Hillsbrad and move the navy back to the Great Sea, the alliance ships saw their spot. They attacked the horde transports, sinking many ships and killing thousands of orcs. However, they got too greedy and got surrounded by the enemy destroyers, all their escapes blocked.

Most were sunk, but one got away. This one ship sailed here, to the lagoon between these small islands. The orc ships were too large to get here. However, the dragon that had delivered the dire message to Warchief Doomhammer did reach it, and annihilated it with a fiery breath.

After the war had been won, the humans decided to keep the name Doomhammer had chosen for the island, to remind everyone of how close the orcs had got to winning the war. Every time a citizen would look south, across Lake Lordamere, they would see that reminder."

Guy yawned. "A nice story, but how did the humans... we, get to know about what the orc Warchief had said?"

Zak watched Fenris Keep for a second. "Doomhammer had it hacked into stone. There is a large stone slab on the courtyard of that keep. It was empty before the war, but Doomhammer wanted to make sure everyone would remember him later on, so he had his message carved on it."

Guy shook his head. "I bet you would have liked if the orcs had won."

Zak winced at such an insulting assumption. "Some humans fought on the side of the Horde as well, so I bet you would have liked if they had won as well."

Guy's hand, probably instinctively, lowered to the haft of his sword. "Well the majority of my people at least fought on the good side."

Zak looked straight into his eyes. "Zul'jin, the warlord who allied the Forest Trolls with the Horde, had my tribe, my family, killed for not supporting his new empire. If you want to keep our companionhood a sour one, feel free. But if you insult me directly, beware that I may decide to leave you alone in the middle of a land filled with enemies without anyone to watch your back, or the key to the lockbox."

They didn't talk to each other until they reached the far shore, in Silverpine Forest.

Mograine cursed to himself as the ghostly shape of General Perinany appeared before him.

A smile curled to the general's lips. "Ah, Mograine, you look a bit more rotten and decaying in person."

"I do not care what I look like, as long as I can serve the One King. If the worshippers of the Light are true about one thing, it is that vanity is a sin."

"Vanity? Are you possibly hinting I am vain?"

"Possibly."

"Then you are wrong. I am not vain, just proud of serving the Lich King and taking the most out of what he gave to me in exchange for my undying servitude."

"The topic of whether selling your soul to regain your looks is wise is a totally diffferent topic..."

"...And therefore we shall stay out of it. You see-"

"Did you have an actual reason for contacting me?"

"Actually, yes. A gargoyle patrol confirmed that you have sent a minion to attack the Package on its way to Gilneas. The Lich King will be most displeased."

"That is unlikely. The Lich King himself ordered me to stop it before it reached Gilneas."

"What? Why?"

"I do not claim to know His motivations, but I think it might be because of the recent political events there... The Package could be seized by a third faction before it reaches His agents within Gilneas."

"I might also add that the gargoyle saw your agent get destroyed by a crusader."

"It matters not. The agent you speak of can regenerate to full strength from a single speck of its being, as long as it has something to draw energy from."

"And what is this something?"

"Water. The thing is a water demon."

"A demon? I know only two collaborators working for our cause..."

"This one is not a collaborator. It is undead. From what we understand, it died during the War of the Ancients from being smashed hundreds of feet deep into the ice caps, where its body froze. It was discovered half a year ago, after a necromancer felt its power within the ice."

"It must have been a powerful thing to require being smashed into the very roof of The Lich King's world in order to ensure its death. Not to mention its mere corpse radiating such power."

"It was actually not dead, but hibernating. The coldness had made it unable to act in any way, true to its nature as a being of water. After it was dug out, it woke up and killed everyone around it. The Lich King himself killed it and reanimated it. The demon lost a significant amount of its power in the reanimation process, due to its magical nature, but it is a powerful thing, nonetheless."

"Not as powerful as Kel'Thuzad, I think."

Mograine ground his teeth. Perinany never missed a chance to taunt him for failing to protect Kel'Thuzad from the raiders. "Anything more to tell or ask me? I have a war to wage."

Perinany smiled mysteriously. "The Lich King may not have told me of ordering you to seize the Package before it reaches Gilneas, but neither did has he told you of something he ordered me to do."

Mograine rolled his eyes. "Tell me, I'm dying of anxiety."

"I am under no orders to tell you, actually. I'll leave it up to you to find out."

Perinany's image disappeared and Mograine shook his head. If there was one man he wished were on the enemy side instead of his, it was General Perinany.

Mograine stood up and walked out of the chamber. It was about time he went to the front to see how the armies were doing.

Lord Maxwell Tyrosus opened his eyes from meditation as a solider walked into the room. Archmage Dosantos and King Trollbane, who had been discussing in low voices before, turned to the newcomer as well.

"Lord, a group of our men, assigned to help the town guard keep the city secure, has disappeared."

Tyrosus eased his sitting posture and put his hand against his forehead. "Would that be the Ninth Guard Brigade?"

"Yes sir."

"Has anyone checked whether Highseer Feylight is still here?"

"Umm... no. Why, milord?"

"Because the men of the Ninth Guard Brigade are basically Feylight's personal bodyguard. They are entirely composed of his former Inquisition Buddies from the Scarlet Crusade, and have been given the special permission to stay with him at all times instead of being sent to where they are actually needed.

Go check if he is still here in Southshore, though I doubt it's even worth the trouble."

"Yes, milord."

The guard walked away. Tyrosus turned at Archmage Dosantos. "Well, we knew it was going to happen some day." He got a nod from the wizard.

The King of Stromgarde gave an anxious umm, signaling he was completely unaware of what was going on.

Tyrosus turned to him. "Highseer Feylight was a high-ranking member in the original Scarlet Inquisition, back when it was a moderate means of caution, instead of an instrument of terror. He was also among the first ones to suggest splitting away from the Crusade. He never liked Saiden Dathoran."

Dosantos nodded and continued: "However, after we had formed the Argent Dawn and he had been named among the leaders, he got more and more distant, barring himself away from anyone but the leader of the Ninth Guard Brigade, Desmond Carthey. We demanded he have more to do with the dealings of the Dawn, but he said he had more important things to do. We told him he would be expelled from the high lead, and he accepted it without an argument.

He has basically spent the last two years locked in the basement of Light's Hope Chapel, doing his seery business, whatever that is."

King Trollbane gave them an unbelieving look. "Has it not crossed your mind once that he could be possessed?"

Tyrosus nodded. "We considered it at one point. It took Dosantos about a month, but finally we were able to spy into Feylight's quarters without him knowing. All he did was pray, write on a diary, and pray more."

"And once a day Sergeant Carthey would come to give him food and they would talk," Dosantos added, "Mostly about philosophical questions, like about whether Uther the Lightbringer would choose the Dawn or the Crusade or whether Faol's body should be moved to Northshire Abbey."

"A person like that would be taken to the asylum in my land." Trollbane said.

Tyrosus nodded. "I understand what you mean, but there was clearly more than met the eye about him. He foresaw the arrival of the Horde's expedition to Lordaeron exactly, date, place and all. Though when he told it to us, he was intending we fight the Horde, instead of helping them form a base of operations at Hammerfall..." He closed his mouth, remembering Danath Trollbane was not one of those you wanted to talk about helping the Horde with.

The King seemed to ignore the last part of their talk. "So, he is anti-Horde?"

Both Lord Tyrosus and Archmage Dosantos nodded. "His wife and daughter were killed by the orcs during the Second War" Tyrosus said.

The soldier came back to the room. "You were right, milord, the Highseer is missing as well. Accourding to a brief survey within the guards who were on duty last night, he and the Brigade went missing some time after midnight, but nobody saw them."

Dosantos rose up. "Feylight is a powerful wizard in addition to a priest of the Holy Light, he probably cloaked his men with magic to make their exit subtle. I'll try to track down some feedback from the magic and find out which direction they went to."

"You do that." Tyrosus said, and she left.

Zak sat down next to the campfire, opposite to Guy. The rice and beans he had cooked were ready and served. The troll closed his eyes, trying to focus.

"Can you tell me anything of that thing, the monster, that I don't know? I only arrived to the scene of the first battle in the end, running to help immediately."

The human rubbed his chin a bit. "Well, it did originally appear before us out of thin air."

Zak gave it a few seconds' thought. "Either it can turn invisible or transport itself between locations with magic. That's not really good news."

Guy shrugged. "I don't really care. I haven't gotten used to hearing good news, as I haven't heard any in nearly two years."

"What was it two years ago then?"

"Saiden Dathoran took control of the Crusade."

"From what I have heard of his rule, that is hardly good news."

Guy stood up and checked if his sword was loose in its scabbard. "As you yourself said on that lake, troll, 'if you want to keep our companionhood a sour one, feel free'. But I would rather be in talking terms with you."

He walked a couple of steps away and prepared to sleep. Zak hung his head.

Guy sat in the carriage, leaning against his mother. Everyone was peering out of the windows, trying to find out why they had stopped. Mary looked like a rabbit which had heard a fox approach, but didn't see it.

A thumping voice. Someone had fallen down. A second lasted and it didn't sound like the person was getting up. Then a gruff voice Guy had never heard before shouted: "Oi! You there, in the carriage. Geddout, but don' bother taking your valuables with you, we'll be taking them, along with the carriage and the horses."

Guy's father stood up within the carriage, gestured for them all to stay down and still, and stepped out.

"I am sorry, but you can't have the carriage. My wife is sick, cursed by an orc, and can't travel by foot."

"Don' make us kill you, mister, like the driver did. He fought back, and see what we hadda do!. You don't wanna make that mistake!"

"I'll not make the mistake of allowing you to attack first, alright."

A mighty whoom emanated from outside, followed by a thump and three cries. One of surprised fear, one of pain and one of angry retribution. Guy peered his head out of the window, seeing his father standing next to the corpse of a bandit and against two living thieves.

Pa conjured flame on one hand and lightning on another. "Run away now, or the wolves will have your bodies." The Alterac Mountains around them echoed with his words, and the snow beneath his feet was melting rapidly.

One bandit took his advice immidiately, turning to a quick run. Guy's father shot the lightning at his back.

The other ran at Pa, swinging his sword, but got fireballed in the chest instead. Somehow he survived, but lost his weapon. He started grovelling back, begging for mercy.

Pa took a few steps, coming right on top of the criminal. "I need someone to drive my carriage. Can you do that, or would you prefer the wolves?"

Quite surprisingly, the howl of a wolf came from a few mountain passes away.

"Where are you going, sir?"

"Lordaeron City. My wife needs to be inspected by the local clergymen, maybe they can find a cure to her ailment.

Once we get there, you'll surrender yourself to the law, is that right?"

The bandit nodded furiously. "Yessir! I'll serve my time, any punishment they give! Just don't hurt me!"

Pa offered him a hand. "Get up, we don't have any more time to waste."

Upon turning around, Guy's father saw him looking out the window of the carriage. He paled as he realised his son had seen the rogues' fates.

Guy went back inside and huddled close to mother.
Yet another time I had to pull a title out of my ass.

Last edited by Kerrah; 02-29-2008 at 05:23 AM..
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Elune

Its a pretty decent chat chapter, but i guess the thief kills Guy's father or some, but who knows!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Eternal

It seems Guy's family run into some trouble on their way to Lordaeron. The scene heavily reminded me of Western movies, with the carriage, bandits and all that. I'm expecting some tragic things to happen to them, and I'm right to expect that, am I not?

And Zak'dan's family being killed by Zul'jin for not following him sounds a bit too barbaric for Zul'jin. Yes, he did have that dream to eat Anasterian's head, but he was the guy that managed to unite all forest trolls under one banner and, even though he surely needed martial might to do that, at least to me he doesn't come across as the kind of killing a whole family for not following him.

Highseer Feylight is looking interesting now. At first I didn't think he'd be important, just a show of an Argent Dawn member that was still too Horde-phobic. But his description and the way it worries Tyrosus implies that he's a really powerful character. He's probably going to be my favourite character out of all your fanfics, so I hope you make him great.

By the way, I didn't really get the part of Feylight's prophecy. So he knew the day the Horde would arrive in Lordaeron, but what was that about them establishing a power base in Hammerfall?

Last edited by Wulfang; 01-23-2008 at 04:18 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:53 PM

Elune

Zul'jin killed anyone who didn't follow his rules, thats how he united the tribes. If you had been a tribe leader and didn't submit to Zul'jin's might, he would have killed you.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Zul'jin killed anyone who didn't follow his rules, thats how he united the tribes. If you had been a tribe leader and didn't submit to Zul'jin's might, he would have killed you.
And those who did follow him would laud him for doing so. An important part of uniting the Forest Trolls likely included the implication that those tribes and groups who continued to refuse were enemies of the cause and fair game for retribution. Especially since they weren't getting along before Zul'jin came along, those who followed him would have no qualms about killing another tribe that didn't if he gave the go-ahead to do so.

Last edited by ARM3481; 01-23-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
It seems Guy's family run into some trouble on their way to Lordaeron. The scene heavily reminded me of Western movies, with the carriage, bandits and all that. I'm expecting some tragic things to happen to them, and I'm right to expect that, am I not?
I can't tell you any specifics, but I can tell that Guy and Mary get to their Uncle Sigmund safely.
Quote:
And Zak'dan's family being killed by Zul'jin for not following him sounds a bit too barbaric for Zul'jin. Yes, he did have that dream to eat Anasterian's head, but he was the guy that managed to unite all forest trolls under one banner and, even though he surely needed martial might to do that, at least to me he doesn't come across as the kind of killing a whole family for not following him.
As Drz said, Zul'Jin didn't unite the Forest Trolls by being a pacifist.
Quote:
Highseer Feylight is looking interesting now. At first I didn't think he'd be important, just a show of an Argent Dawn member that was still too Horde-phobic. But his description and the way it worries Tyrosus implies that he's a really powerful character. He's probably going to be my favourite character out of all your fanfics, so I hope you make him great.
Originally he was going to be the main villain, but unfortunately my plans for him took the focus too much off the Scourge, so I lowered his importance a at one point of planning the fic. However, I still like him as a character and want him to shine later on.
Quote:
By the way, I didn't really get the part of Feylight's prophecy. So he knew the day the Horde would arrive in Lordaeron, but what was that about them establishing a power base in Hammerfall?
Well, the Orcs had to return to Lordaeron at some point.

Or have the orcs in the Hammerfall been there all of the third war?

Last edited by Kerrah; 01-24-2008 at 02:07 AM..
Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 AM

Elune

I'm beginning a new tradition.

One chapter per week, Friday will be update day.

This is, in my case, slowing down the pace, but I want readers who only log on rarely to be able to follow the plot without it being a chore.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 AM

Elune

Thats pretty nice, some afternoon reading for everyone. =P
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Kerrah, you should make a compile version of all, for we can download it.

And add more pictures .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Kerrah, you should make a compile version of all, for we can download it.

And add more pictures .
I'm not superman!

Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM

Druid of the Talon

Orb of Fire

Meeh, boring. Ah well atleast you don't stop write so can't be mad :p..

But, i think Lon-ami is a bit right, i would do really appriciate it :p
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Chapter Five

Zak sat in the cold night. He made sure Guy was asleep before opening his own bag. Within were, among other things, three scrolls. He took the topmost out and read it in the light of the campfire. His mind reeled.

I know what I'm supposed to do, but how am I to do it? A silent curse escaped his lips.

He shook his head and put the scroll back to the bag. There was another unscrolled one and a third one, whose seal was still intact.

For a split second, the light of the campfire hit the seal, revealing the emblem of Dalaran.

"Kids, this is your uncle, Sigmund. He'll be taking care of you while I take your mother to Dalaran to ask the wizards there for help."

Father was smiling pleasantly and Uncle Sigmund waved his hand, as if to signal that it was him who was being talked about. Guy tilted his head.

"Pa, will Ma be alright?"

"Yes, Guy. The Wizards of Dalaran know more magic than any orc out there. I've got to go now, see you kids."

Mary clutched to Guy, surrounded by the alien city. They were left alone with Uncle Sigmund. The man seemed to consider their situation for a moment and then asked: "Do you kids like ice cream?"

Guy and Mary nodded reluctantly.

"There are a pair of young men, Foror and Tigule, living near here. They have invented a method of making ice cream taste like strawberries. Want to try?"

Yet another almost-identical pair of nods and they started walking.

After walking a few streets, they came up a group of people. A herald in silky clothes and a hat with a ridiculous feather stood above everyone else, reading from a scroll.

"The united leaders of mankind have decided to form The Alliance of Lordaeron to combat the evil of the Orcish Horde. By order of King Terenas, each man capable of fighting in the army will be drafted within one month of now, and all young adults will be taken for training. Women and older men can join for training out of their free will as well.

Everyone who struggles on the side of the Alliance will be given a fair pay as well as a pension when they grow old, and casualties will be compensated to the unfortunate families. Common folk who prove their worth and make it to officers will be given a title of nobility."

There was a gasp among the crowd. A few nobles shouted protests, but the herald did not react.

"Since all professional soldiers will be needed in the front lines, a special militia will be formed to keep the kingdom safe from pillaging and banditry. Joining the militia will mean one will receive a fair reward without the risk of being sent out of his or her home region."

The citizenry begun chattering excitedly. The herald read more, but Guy could not hear since he, Mary and Uncle Sigmund had already passed and were walking an almost empty street. He turned to look at Uncle Sigmund's bearded face.

"Uncle, why do you not join the army?"

The man looked surprised by the question. "I am only a smith, not a soldier. The kingdom will probably buy equipment for the soldiers from me, and that's enough help, I recon. And besides, I have to watch at you two."

Guy lowered his gaze and watched the pebbled street. He missed Stormwind, he missed home.

The sun was rising, so Guy woke Zak'Dan up. The troll yawned. Guy waited for about a minute before asking. "We'll, we're in Silverpine Forest now. Do we just go south from here?"

The troll stretched his muscles. "Yup, that's the plan. But of course we won't be using the roads, if that's what you're asking."

Guy nodded, it made sense. "So we're going to stay in the forests?"

The troll gave him a sideways look. "No way. They are full of Worgen and wild animals. We'll be crossing the mountains."

Guy's eyes went up, to watch the mountains stretching south of them, between Lake Lordamere and southern Silverpine Forest. While the troll ate what was left of last nights supper, Guy checked the lockbox was still in his backpack and then stared it. The future, the rebirth, of the Crusade was within the box...

"We're leaving." Zak'Dan was ready. Guy shook his head to order his thoughts and put the box back to his backpack.

They ascended into the mountains for a few hours without anything out of the ordinary happening, or either of them speaking. Guy noted how the plants here at Silverpine were not as plagued as in the Plaguelands, while still much less healthy than in Alterac, where he had seen no signs of the plague.

It was a shame the magicians of the Crusade had never been able to find a cure to the plague, or a way to destroy the "plague cauldrons" creating it. Uncle Sigmund had been quite sure they could be destroyed, but the Grand Crusader had proclaimed they were indestructible and none should even go near them...

"Let's go." The words, spoken from somewhere to his right, echoed in the mountains. Without even thinking of it, Guy drew his sword. The metallic ringing covered the echo of the word "go" and holy wrath filled him again.

Silence came over them, nobody moved. Zak'Dan crouched next to Guy for a second, and then pointed to where the words had come from.

Down in a valley stood a group of people. There was an orc and three humans, one living and two undead. The living human was the only one not in robes, but was wearing some kind of silk-like orange and black clothing that covered most of his skin. The group of people were walking away from Guy and Zak'Dan. Suddenly they stopped and begun to turn.

They had heard the ringing of the sword. Guy and Zak'Dan dived behind a stone.

For a few moments, they leaned against the stone, doing nothing. Finally they heard one of the strangers say "must have been the wind, let's go", and let out a sigh.

Guy took a peek from behind the rock, the robed people were leaving. He sheathed the sword again.

"I thought for a moment that it was the monster" he said.

Zak'Dan nodded, meaning he had thought that too.

Guy rose up. "Let's continue, we have a long way to go, and it's not even midday."

The troll smiled. "From now on, keep your eyes open and avoid unsheathing that sword unless it's necessary."

Guy rolled his eyes and continued walking.

Majordomo Calvir rode to the courtyard of Lordaeron City. Elite Perinany infantry stood on both sides of the path leading to the castle, where the General resided.

Calvir had been sent to oversee the attack against the Bulwark, while the general stayed back and sacked the Undercity before caving it in permanently. The Lich King had already suffered enough trouble from the minions of the Old Gods in Northrend, he was not going to allow that to happen in Lordaeron...

As the necromancer's horse arrived to the castle, he watched the dozens of gargoyles flocking around the structure. Perinany had quickly embraced their use as scouts after joining on the Scourge.

Calvir dismounted and walked into the former capital building of the kingdom of Lordaeron. After King Terenas, many rulers had ruled from there. First had been Arthas (though he had been away doing the Lich King's bidding most of the time) then had been the Dread Lord Balnazzar, after that Sylvanas Windrunner (who had ruled from the throne room before the discovery of the Undercity) and now finally General Narsus Perinany.

Walking into the throne room, Calvir smiled. Perinany was currently eating in the throne with a glass of wine in one hand and the other one petting a gargoyle. It was Poe, the general's pet.

"Who's a little boy, yes, you are. Now go and bring forth death to the people of Lordaeron, my fluffy-wuffy."

The beast flew away. Calvir gave a short laugh. He had learned a long time ago that it did not matter to the general what others thought of him. Perinany stood up and spread his hands.

"Calvir! You arrive at the right time, as usual. Would you care for a drink? Maybe something to eat?"

The necromancer simply shook his head.

"Straight to business as usual, eh? Well, first of all, there is a thing I've realised just now. We can't keep calling you Majordomo anymore, since we've moved out of the Raven Keep and you are no longer its steward. I think you know enough about warfare for me to name you my second in command, the vice-General.

How about that, vice-General Calvir?"

The necromancer stared blankly at the general's boyish smile. "I don't think it has the same kind of ring to it as 'Majordomo Calvir'."

Perinany laughed jollily. "That's true. How about you get to keep your honorific but I make you my second in command in any case?"

Calvir nodded and knelt. The general unsheathed his sword and placed it on the necromancer's shoulder. "I name you, Calvir the Black, my second in command. May the One King bless you as long as you remain loyal to him. May you slaughter the world in his name, if need be."

Calvir rose up, uncaring about fancy titles. His true reward was in his next life. "Was there something else?"

Perinany nodded. "The order has come from the Lich King. We march south."

Calvir froze, truly surprised. "South? Into Silverpine?"

"Yes."

"What about the Bulwark?"

"We gained enough troops from sacking the Undercity to keep the defenders of that forsaken little crack occupied while we pursue the One King's commands. The Perinany Legion itself marches south."

Calvir bowed deeply. "I will ready the legion to abandon the city."

Perinany's face spread once again in a boyish smile. "While you are at it, prepare yourself for a fireworks display, the explosives shipment from Northrend was larger than expected. This city will be erased from the face of Azeroth with class."

Calvir walked away and spread his hands, releasing a telepathic call to all the undead in the nearby lands to gather outside the city. It seemed to him as if the entire city around him stirred. The Perinany Legion marched again.

Guy crouched, holding his head. A small cry escaped his lips. Zak'Dan stopped. "What is it?"

The pain eased, so Guy stood up. "A searing head ache. It just came and went, leaving behind a kid or a smaller brother."

The troll cocked his head and peered his eyes. Somehow Guy knew that he did it when trying to analyse new information. Rising up, Guy shook his head. Though the head-splitting pain was gone, there was something unsettling about it. Guy very rarely had any kind of head aches.

The gentle breeze fondled his hair and Guy let out a sigh, the pain suddenly passed entirely.

He turned his head to look at his surroundings. He and Zak'Dan had almost reached the summit of the mountains. There was little vegetation up here, and it was freezing. He was glad he was wearing fur clothes.

Ahead of them was the summit, which they would circle around, behind it would be the town of Ambermill, and behind that the mountains separating Gilenas from Silverpine.

To their right was Silverpine Forest and the Great Sea.

Behind them, far away, one could just spot the looming spires of Lordaeron City.

On their left was Lordamere Lake and the City of Dalaran...

Guy watched to the southern shore of the lake. Dalaran was there... but that was what caught his eye.

"Where is Dalaran's dome?" He asked, mostly to himself.

Zak'Dan walked next to him. "It collapsed a week ago or so. I thought you would have noticed by now."

Guy thought back. They had rowed across the lake, but he hadn't even given it any special thought. "How did it happen?" He turned to the troll. "How do you know?"

Zak'Dan took a step back, but did not seem surprised by the question. "I happened to be nearby when this event took place. From what I understand, the Dalaranians were attacked by some rogue wizard, and they had to take the dome down to prevent him from doing something bad with its powers."

Guy got really curious. "You had to be within Dalaran to learn that much before you met me. What have you been up to?"

The troll stayed silent and kept walking. Guy was left alone with his questions for a second, after which he went after the troll, deciding to hold his curiosity back.

The two of them started to walk past the summit. Guy took one last peak at the city of Dalaran. Once, a long time ago, he had seen it with its dome on. It had been during the early days of the Crusade, when Mograine had been in charge.

Guy let out a sigh. If the Grand Crusader hadn't shown them the truth, they would still be under the Ashbringer's corruption. He realised he wanted to open a new topic of discussion.

"So, you're no fan of the Horde then?"

Zak'Dan stayed quiet for a moment before giving a reply. "I'm not a fan of the Original Horde, but I do think Thrall, the new Warchief, is on the right track."

Guy spat to the ground. "They're all the same, the orcs."

The troll again took his time before answering. "You probably thought that same thing about the trolls before I saved your life."

Guy grinned to the troll's caped back. "Maybe I still do."

Suddenly he stopped. A stone clattered behind him. Guy turned around and blinked. There was nobody there.

Zak'Dan stopped and turned around as well, but clearly hadn't heard the noise. "What is it?"

Guy felt a heat against his hip. The Shadowfang was growing warm.

He closed his eyes and unsheathed the weapon. Holy Wrath filled him. Keeping his eyelids closed, he gave a mighty shout: "SHOW YOURSELF, DEMON OF OLD!"

There was a low growl, and then a slight hissing sound. Guy opened his eyes. The beast stood there, a few strides away from him, brandishing its claws.

The crusader readied himself. "It ends now. Prepare to be sent back to the oblivion."

The troll drew his weapons, and adapted a puzzled look on his face. "Why do you talk like that?"
This really reminds me of how The Rage looked in its worst times. I hope I'll be able to avoid chapters like this from now on.

Last edited by Kerrah; 02-29-2008 at 05:23 AM..
Old 02-01-2008, 02:03 AM

Elune

I don't see anything bad in the chapter, it gets a nice curiosity about the scrolls and why Guy got a sudden headache due to a Necromancer sending a physic wave to command undead (there was a connection right or did i misread)?

What i really liked was Perinary talking to Calvir, i loved the "may the one king bless you" and so on talk, really inspirational for me atleast. :> Really fancy to read this after an annoyning swedish exam.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
I don't see anything bad in the chapter
The problem is that less than half of it is about the main characters. A pretty short trip from point A to point B ended up taking like 10 chapters in the Rage because I did that.
Quote:
What i really liked was Perinary talking to Calvir, i loved the "may the one king bless you" and so on talk, really inspirational for me atleast. :> Really fancy to read this after an annoyning swedish exam.
Lawl. I just had my ET test (nobody else than you will understand that).

How do you translate Elämänkatsomustieto to English, anyways?

Old 02-01-2008, 02:32 AM

Elune

Well in a way you could say its philosophy but you could just say "the exam for people who aint christians" or something, i dunno heh. =p Maybe a "humanism exam" could work too? I'd say so atleast. :o)
Old 02-01-2008, 02:37 AM

Elune

I wouldn't call it "humanism". This was ET 3, which is about society sciences and philosophy.

Whatever, back to the thing itself, next chapter will be good.

I hope.