Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
I think he meant, like, in the past it was forbidden.

Also, I'll help work on this when I get home. I have some other things I need to do but I'll help where I can.
Yes. That's why it's on the "Long Vigil" Section of the guide

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 02-06-2012, 12:43 PM

Elune

Oh my god so many badly RP'd Blood Elves.

They're more fucked up more often than Night Elves ever were.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Elune

People who forget that the Sunwell is up and running or whatz?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
People who forget that the Sunwell is up and running or whatz?
I'm considering dedicating a whole section of the guide to why high elves shouldn't be playable. But first things first, more night elf lore!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM

Archer

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
Oh my god so many badly RP'd Blood Elves.

They're more fucked up more often than Night Elves ever were.
Statement: The worst are the ones who think just because they have "Blood" in their name that they get to be goddamn vampires.

Explanation: I was unfortunate enough to see, back when Silvermoon was the RP Hub of Ravenholdt, a group who would ambush people on murder row and try to drain them in an alley. Despite them being both a Forsaken and in the middle of a shady business deal for GHI Drugs.

“Faith in faith' he answered himself. 'It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief” - Gully Foyle, Stars my Destination
Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draxonicar View Post
Statement: The worst are the ones who think just because they have "Blood" in their name that they get to be goddamn vampires.

Explanation: I was unfortunate enough to see, back when Silvermoon was the RP Hub of Ravenholdt, a group who would ambush people on murder row and try to drain them in an alley. Despite them being both a Forsaken and in the middle of a shady business deal for GHI Drugs.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

To be fair, they have been compared to vampires in the Shadow of the Sun story. I think the "blood" appellation and vampire overtones are intentional, they just don't suck blood, but mana.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
To be fair, they have been compared to vampires in the Shadow of the Sun story. I think the "blood" appellation and vampire overtones are intentional, they just don't suck blood, but mana.
Pretty much how I feel about it. I mean, they aren't exactly THAT disimiliar from "playing" a vampire in many respects. They have lived unnaturally long lives compared to humans, they are addicted to a substance (although that is downplayed now with the sunwell lit up.), they turned to evil sources to sate said hunger, they have fangs, pale skin and drain the mana (in some cases life) of some living things. They like the sun though, their cool with that business. I'd argue that a good Bloodelf roleplayer SHOULD have a healthy dose of "Vampire" ideal and an understanding of their general pathos, not in the cliche sense but rather the same things. The plights and emotional concepts of most vampire literature aren't that different really. Shit... now I'm tempted to play Nick Knight... Bloodknight Detective.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 02-06-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Statement: True, but the Darkfallen really didn't help. Also, WTF happened to the Wretched? I would give Blizzard all my money if I could make my Blood Elf a Wretched.

“Faith in faith' he answered himself. 'It isn't necessary to have something to believe in. It's only necessary to believe that somewhere there's something worthy of belief” - Gully Foyle, Stars my Destination
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Statement: True, but the Darkfallen really didn't help. Also, WTF happened to the Wretched? I would give Blizzard all my money if I could make my Blood Elf a Wretched.
In all reality, after the sunwell fired itself back up, the wretched don't seem all that viable. There weren't that large in numbers to start with in an already small population, I'd say they were likely all killed by the player/bloodelven hand, died of addiction complications or got better because of the sunwell feeding and purifying their... problems.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Archer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
In all reality, after the sunwell fired itself back up, the wretched don't seem all that viable. There weren't that large in numbers to start with in an already small population, I'd say they were likely all killed by the player/bloodelven hand, died of addiction complications or got better because of the sunwell feeding and purifying their... problems.
Statement: Bah, that seems like such a cop-out. The moment the sunwell was restored, they all instantly stood up straight, got a nice tan, got their hair restored and used Proactiv: Azeroth Edition for those unsightly crystals?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Statement: Bah, that seems like such a cop-out. The moment the sunwell was restored, they all instantly stood up straight, got a nice tan, got their hair restored and used Proactiv: Azeroth Edition for those unsightly crystals?
Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

I'm looking forward to "The SoL Guide to RP volume 2: Humans, Forsaken and Worgen"

1. Derail everyone elses roleplaying with constant bitching/wanking about Lorderon or Sylvanas. Proclaim your stance over and over and over again in trade chat in every city if theres no roleplay to disrupt.

2. Repeat
Old 02-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Elune

Quote:

Tell me it was before TBC end please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon;429326Shit... now I'm tempted to play [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhIEG3JYtg"
Nick Knight[/URL]... Bloodknight Detective.
the name Nick Knight remembers me of Lady Gaga too
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
It's a cult in the Greco-roman sense of the term. Elune is a divinity in a pantheon but is worshiped almost exclusively compared to the other gods. I didn't mean to imply illegitimacy or a recent origin.
Ahh, alright.. Gotcha
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
The addiction never killed anyone who wasn't already very infirm, very young, or very old.

Besides, there are only two Wretched who are not killed on sight. One is captured for info on his brethren, and the other is begging for help.

Needless to say, the blood elves most likely killed them all, being the "killed a guy I wouldn't have killed a year ago because they didn't change exactly the same as I did" kind of race.

High elves might not have been as slaughtered due to not looking deformed, but I do not doubt many partisans did kill them to help run them off.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
The addiction never killed anyone who wasn't already very infirm, very young, or very old.

Besides, there are only two Wretched who are not killed on sight. One is captured for info on his brethren, and the other is begging for help.

Needless to say, the blood elves most likely killed them all, being the "killed a guy I wouldn't have killed a year ago because they didn't change exactly the same as I did" kind of race.

High elves might not have been as slaughtered due to not looking deformed, but I do not doubt many partisans did kill them to help run them off.
and because they were mostly a threat to political stability than a security threat (unlike the Wretched that were occuping towns, killing people, etc)
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
and because they were mostly a threat to political stability than a security threat (unlike the Wretched that were occuping towns, killing people, etc)
Political threats are always couched in terms of security threats. IE: "those protestors were shot because they're working with the enemy!"

Also, what the flying fuck is up with your sig? Fact Core Sylvanas?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Political threats are always couched in terms of security threats. IE: "those protestors were shot because they're working with the enemy!"
I think they were probably threatened to GTFO of Quel'Thalas, like with soldiers, and probably beaten up/mind controlled if they got aggresive. But I dont think that any of them were killed as they still are normal and have senses of self preservation. The wretched on the other hand are like junkies who havent got their fix in some time and are desperate, just ten time worst so their senses arent at their best.

Quote:
Also, what the flying fuck is up with your sig? Fact Core Sylvanas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVrSx9-LqCE
Gaga. Usual stuff in me here. Whatever

WTF is Fact Core
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

I don't know how relevant this is but here's some information on Elunite.

Quote:
Completion:Ah, elunite ore. This is a fine metal to work with, for it is blessed by the goddess Elune herself. It would be an honor to craft weapons with it.
Please wait while I work...
Source:Quest:Smith_Mathiel
(used wowpedia because wowhead doesn't have the completion text)

EDIT:Apparently there's two tablets in darkshore that have some pre-wota lore someone should check what those say
http://www.wowhead.com/object=17189
http://www.wowhead.com/object=17188

EDIT:
In vanilla alot of the night elves were running away from the weaker parts of alliance territory
Quote:
You have fought for Auberdine with bravery and honor, <name>. In our war torn lands, death and despair are common. Many will not rise to meet the challenge of life in our new home, choosing instead to hide in their homes or escape to the more fortified lands of the Alliance. Thank you, <name>. Perhaps someday soon we shall fight along side as comrades versus another foe.
Source:Quest:Tharnariun's Hope

EDITaladin Quest holds the opinion of a night elf on the paladins and paladin races

Quote:
Progress:I would be less trustful of one not on a holy path if they came asking about a Kor gem. But I trust your kind more than some of my kin. I do not judge your entire order based on the actions of just one of your fallen kind.
Quest:Seeking the Kor Gem

(source has the same reason has above)

Last edited by Ashendant; 02-07-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
EDIT:Apparently there's two tablets in darkshore that have some pre-wota lore someone should check what those say
http://www.wowhead.com/object=17189
http://www.wowhead.com/object=17188
Well, the text are on the WoWhead comments.

It's interesting to point this:

Quote:
The Earth trembled as the ancient trees in the enchanted forest were uprooted and toppled. The groves and glades tended by the sons and daughters of Cenarius and the stone towers of the Children of the Stars were brought to the rolling ground. There was our Queen, radiant even in the desperation, in the chaos that was the battles. The enchanted sky changed colors with the discharge of magic, with the explosions that threatened to tear the world asunder.
Seems to indicate that the night elves (not only the Highborne) have stone structures.

The text also has a Darnassian copy, but I think it's just Blizzard trolling us. I'll post it in the SoL Project Linguistics.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Well, the text are on the WoWhead comments.

It's interesting to point this:

Seems to indicate that the night elves (not only the Highborne) have stone structures.

The text also has a Darnassian copy, but I think it's just Blizzard trolling us. I'll post it in the SoL Project Linguistics.
I know they are, i wanted someone to confirm if they were still ingame and what did they say
Old 02-18-2012, 10:29 AM

Faerie Dragon

Moonwells
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28730
Quote:
The moonwells hold the waters of the Well of Eternity, the ancient source of magic that has wrought so many horrors upon our world.

The druids take advantage of its properties, the Sentinels revere the wells as shrines to Elune, and now even the returning Highborne look to the wells longingly.
Wisps
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=25407
Quote:
The Sentinels make up the bulk of our forces here, but a well-rounded night elf army requires more than just night elves. The creatures of this forest, our ancestral home, have protected us for centuries. We simply need to rally them.

Take this whistle. Our allies know this sound, and you'll be using it to recall them.

Before you start gathering creatures, I'd like you to recall a few of our wisps, just for practice. You can find them just outside the fortress, among the trees.
Completion
Wisps have always lived in harmony with night elves, and we depend on them for many things. These little guys you sent back, for example, will be helping us with some new construction and repairs.

Ready for more?
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=28370
Quote:
Can you believe these worgen here have wisps? The night elves showed them all that druid junk and now they've got their precious little wisps too, giving them all the building material they want without having to harm any precious trees.

If we had those things, we could pull extra wood out of every tree in our site. Free resources, free profit! That's why I've been working on this containment device.

Head to Talonbranch Glade and use it to steal some wisps. Just point and press the button.
Frostsabers
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=29032
Quote:
I can teach you to ride a Winterspring frostsaber, but it takes time and dedication. For this to work, both saber and rider must be highly trained and both must share a bond of deep trust.

The cubs are only receptive to this training if they're introduced to their riders at a young age. Some of the cubs in the dens surrounding Frostsaber Rock are at the proper age to begin their training. If you help me gather the most promising of those cubs, I'll allow you to begin training with your own cub.
Progress
We must get the saber cubs while they're still young enough to bond with people. If they get too old, the cats will remain feral forever.
Completion
These cubs are just the right age to begin their training. A few of them even have the proper traits to be trained as mounts. As promised, I'll select one of these cubs for you to train. This fellow here seems to have an affinity for you.

I'll train the more common, docile cubs for the market in Darnassus.
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=29034
Quote:
I think this little fellow will be a good match for you.

This cub is going to require a lot of attention to ensure that he grows up strong and healthy. You should check up on your cub at least once each day. Feeding and caring for your Winterspring cub is the best way to build a bond of trust with him.

As your cub grows, he will shed his old whiskers and grow new ones appropriate to his size. Once your cub has shed twenty whiskers, bring him back to me along with some materials for your saddle.
Progress
How fares your young saber?
Completion
It looks like you've done an admirable job of raising your cub, <name>. Your saber has grown up to be strong, healthy, and loyal. Both of you are well-matched.

Your Winterspring frostsaber will respond to your call anytime you wish to ride together.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Ah, didn't see you guys posted. Good. I'll update the front page and the guide-in-progress.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Elune

On suggestion of Omacron, I guess I'm moving this here. I didn't really think it was the same subject, so ima delete the other thread if I can.

Quote:
Hello boys and girls, beasts and ghouls, and all other types!

Over the years of my tenure at this fine forum group, I have noticed several common misconceptions about the Night Elven race, many of which are held against Blizzard as moving the Night Elves away from their roots, or other such things.

This thread is about debunking many of those misconceptions, and getting some decent conversation going.

So, that being said, lets move on to the show, starting with what is probably the most wide spread misconception:

Xenophobia

Xenophobia:
one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

Many cite the Night Elves as being Xenophobic in nature due to their actions in WC3 where the now famous Ashenvale war first started. These same people ignore almost every other instance of the Warcraft 3 and TFT Night Elf campaign.

Even if you write off the various races who aided the Night Elves in their campaign, and even the Furbolgs, you have, throughout the WC3 Orc and Kaldorei campaigns spread through Ashenvale : Goblins,Dark Trolls, and, in TFT willingly aided Blood Elves and Orcs both.

Even further, the "initial attack" was preceded by Night Elves sending out scouts that were wide spread enough to get tales of the Orcs deeds during the First and Second wars. Cenarius himself ordered the charge against the Orcs, fearing that they had turned back to their demon worshiping days. The Night Elves go so far as to willingly allow Satyr to be part of their culture as long as they are not actively causing trouble, as seen by Terrorhoof and another Satyr. Eventually of course, they do end up causing trouble, which ends up with some demon being killed. Even then though, as was shown in Teldrassil, attempts to teach the demons lessons are made.

The ONLY time in recorded history that we know of where the Night Elves were actively xenophobic was during the War of the Ancients trilogy. And that was less Xenophobia, as the Night Elves were not afraid of the other cultures. They looked at them as inferior. Not in fear, but in disgust. And the invasion of the Burning Legion ended much of that.

Which brings us to my next misconception.

The Guardians of the World

Many people are under the impression that Night Elves were appointed by The Aspects to guard the World Tree and the Well of Eternity that was contained by it, and in return the Night Elves were granted the blessings. This is not true. The ONLY Aspect who required something in turn was Ysera. The other Aspects granted their blessings to the World Tree to replace the blessings the Night Elves would have gained by the Well of Eternity. It was not a charge. It was compensation. The Night Elves would have actively LOST immortality and disease free existence without the Well or the blessings. It was NOT a reward for a task. It's also why the other races who participated in the War didn't gain anything. Because ONLY the Night Elves would have had it either way.

And speaking of not being appointed jobs, lets get onto the Sentinel Army and the Long Vigil, Burning Legion, and aftermath of the War of the Ancients.....

The Long Vigil

Many people are of the opinion that the Sentinel Army was preparing itself from another invasion of the Burning Legion. This simply is not true. The Sentinel Army was formed for one reason, and one reason only. To police Ashenvale Forest and to keep Night Elven lands safe. Tyrande Whisperwind herself only started getting a growing discomfort about the eventual return of the Burning Legion centuries after the Long Vigil started.

The Sentinel Army and the Night Elves did not have some sort of eternal watch for the Legion. It wasn't about the Legion. It was about the Night Elves rebuilding their empire and policing their very own lands. Over time, the allies of the Elves, such as the children of Cenarius began to appear and help out.

Speaking of the Children of Cenarius....

Night Elves and Nature.

One misconception of Night Elves that is very hard to shake due to the constant exposure on the Cenarion Circle is that the Night Elves worship nature. They don't. They don't even particularly venerate it. They keep it in balance. They manage local populations of predators and prey in check...

But guess what. So do humans. Even real life humans today. When wolf populations get out of hand in the Midwest, hunting season is opened. When Deer populations get out of control, wolves are moved and released into the wild, and regulations are placed on hunting them. It's not about "venerating" nature. It's about making sure a proper ecosystem can exist. As intelligent creatures, Night Elves can recognize these patterns. Just as we humans do. And they use their intelligence to keep things neat. To keep things in line. Comfortable. To many deer, means the deer starve as the population is to large to exist with the food supply that is present, and hunters cannot keep up with fast breeding species. A natural predator is needed. Sentient creatures upset this balance, so we occasionally step in to keep things in check on both sides of the fence. Otherwise, it makes our own lives much more difficult.

They respect nature. They work in conjunction with nature. Not because it's nature, but because it makes their lives easier. Now, its certainly true that they take it to a further degree than humans do, but it's more because they have the magic needed to work with nature in a much less....destructive...way.

DRUIDS venerate nature. Night Elves, Tyrande included, will burn the forest to the ground if its needed.

So..yeah..

Discuss away.