Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-03-2012, 03:12 AM

Warden

Default Why does goldrinn choose Varian?

Why does not he choose a night elf,a furbolg or even a simple stag instead of varian?He does not have any connections to night elves or their ancients,he does not even know much about them.A new night elf chosen would be better.I don't like the chosen ones stories but this would better i think.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:18 AM

Elune

Humans have met success before when fighting Orcs. Night Elves haven't.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies… strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night… live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 AM

Eternal

Lo'Gosh is the spirit of the hunter, the animal instinct that kicks in when one smells food or sees one's children in jeopardy. Varian is a concerned father who turns into Liam Neeson from Taken when those he loves are in danger and a badass champion gladiator pit fighter. Quite frankly, he doesn't choose a worgen, or night elf, or any of that shiz because they don't represent what Lo'Gosh is all about. Varian does.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Wowpedia says: It is suspected that Goldrinn not only admired Varian's ferocity, but also his ability to tame it, something he himself was never able to do. His choice to champion Varian seems to be another last redeeming act to Elune.

I guess that the Varian-Lo'gosh thing is similar to Tyrande-Elune, except we resurrected Goldrinn, right? It would be a little rude if Varian did not at least go and say hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:07 AM

Elune

Or it could be, in the Age of Mortals, when you have:

An ultra powerful druid Malfurion
An long lived/Light blessed Velen
Probably the most powerful mage on Azeroth Jaina
The superior stength/agility of worgen Genn

Then you have plain ol' Varian who couldn't fight Garrosh without the added boost of an Ancient.

You had to do something to put him on the same power level as the rest of the Alliance leadership and give him an edge against Garrosh, who by all accounts is much more powerful then a normal human Varian.

IMHO
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post

Probably the most powerful mage on Azeroth Jaina (except for Azshara)

Then you have plain ol' Varian who couldn't fight Garrosh without the added boost of an Ancient.

You had to do something to put him on the same power level as the rest of the Alliance leadership and give him an edge against Garrosh, who by all accounts is much more powerful then a normal human Varian.

IMHO
fixed. But yeah, I get the point+alliance bias
"D'ya think that thing wanted to be an animal? No dogs make it a thousand miles through the cold! No, you don't understand! That thing wanted to be US! If a cell gets out, it could imitate everything on the FACE OF THE EARTH! AAAAND NOTHING can stop it!"
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:

Probably the most powerful mage on Azeroth Jaina

IMHO
Don't forget Thrall, plain old element blessed, beloved by the people, dragon empowered, split in four then put back together, four dragon scales, gifted with Deathwing's power and wielder of the Dragon soul.

I kind of think Garrosh got the short end of the stick when faction leaders were givin their powers. All he has for him is that he is stronger than average.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Because of bad writing.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Elune

Because Knaak is a fucking idiot.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:

IMHO
You're right but you really shouldn't be. Garrosh never got any special training nor did he grow up anywhere particularly dangerous (Well Nagrand isn't a cake walk but for warcraft its pretty tame). Hell he wasn't even depicted as a hulk prior to cataclysm. Varian on the other hand was trained by numerous high profile fighters and has wielded a sword since he was 10. In particular he fought orcs all his life, heel hes killed orcs BIGGER then Garrosh (Hyku steeledge). The fact that after a demigod buffed him up he could still only compete with Garrosh really screamed off just wanting an epic battle.

If they wanted Garrosh to be powerful then he actually needed to have been depicted that way before they decided he should be warchief and thus automatically juiced up.

I know thats going to come off very fanboyish but it bothers me.
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Two enter...and both probably will leave but everyone will be facepalming.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
You're right but you really shouldn't be. Garrosh never got any special training nor did he grow up anywhere particularly dangerous (Well Nagrand isn't a cake walk but for warcraft its pretty tame). Hell he wasn't even depicted as a hulk prior to cataclysm. Varian on the other hand was trained by numerous high profile fighters and has wielded a sword since he was 10. In particular he fought orcs all his life, heel hes killed orcs BIGGER then Garrosh (Hyku steeledge). The fact that after a demigod buffed him up he could still only compete with Garrosh really screamed off just wanting an epic battle.

If they wanted Garrosh to be powerful then he actually needed to have been depicted that way before they decided he should be warchief and thus automatically juiced up.

I know thats going to come off very fanboyish but it bothers me.
The only problem is that, as depicted in the pre-WotLK event, Garrosh stood toe-to-toe with Thrall, and by some accounts would've have won the match if it hadn't been interupted by the LK. And he was fighting the same Thrall who had pretty much the exact same training as Varian and was a shaman to boot.

Then you have Garrosh leading the Horde forces in Northrend, so he saw a lot of combat there as well. Plus he had one of the best warriors in the Horde, Saurfang, teaching him as well.

Plus Nagrand still had issues with the orges and other forces, so it wasn't like Garrosh was just sitting around bored.

And then you have the comics which depict him fighting and holding his own as well.

So it really can't be said that Garrosh's power just appeared out of nowhere. They've shown it all through his appearances, both in game and out.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The only problem is that, as depicted in the pre-WotLK event, Garrosh stood toe-to-toe with Thrall, and by some accounts would've have won the match if it hadn't been interupted by the LK. And he was fighting the same Thrall who had pretty much the exact same training as Varian and was a shaman to boot.

Then you have Garrosh leading the Horde forces in Northrend, so he saw a lot of combat there as well. Plus he had one of the best warriors in the Horde, Saurfang, teaching him as well.

Plus Nagrand still had issues with the orges and other forces, so it wasn't like Garrosh was just sitting around bored.

And then you have the comics which depict him fighting and holding his own as well.

So it really can't be said that Garrosh's power just appeared out of nowhere. They've shown it all through his appearances, both in game and out.
It should be noted that Thrall avoided using his shamanism in their duel until the very end (he needed the fight to stop immediately). Even so, Thralls a former gladiator and excellent combatant. I would really like to know how Garrosh had the skills to fight Thrall 1v1 after a relatively sheltered life in Outland. As far as I'm aware he had no one to train him in any notable way.

It should be noted that I have no problem with Garrosh being a powerful orc. After what hes been through it only makes sense. I have a problem with him being able to compete with Varian after a demi-god buff. The two were evenly matched in the Violet citadel and as far as I could tell the only changes Garrosh went through since then was deciding that walking around bare chested with his vitals exposed was a good idea. It really devalued the significance of Goldrinns blessing. (though I suppose you could argue that was a good thing with the over prominence of god characters in warcraft)
What matters more, Ashenvale or Lordaeron? The debate of 2013 between Financial Adviser Archdruid Sentinel Kyalin Raintree the Tree Hugger of Ashenvale and Supreme Commander Archmage Fojar von Lordaeron the Highlord of Undead Slaying.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Theory: Garrosh has been messing around with RAS concoctions or other magics since his time in the Horde (magical steroids if you will). This fixes his descent into madness and shows what happens when you try to live up to your idols without putting in the work.

Probable Reality: Just because the story needed him to be uber-awesome.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
Why does not he choose a night elf,a furbolg or even a simple stag instead of varian?He does not have any connections to night elves or their ancients,he does not even know much about them.A new night elf chosen would be better.I don't like the chosen ones stories but this would better i think.
Because Blizzard wanted Varian to be more important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Elune

Because gods like winners, and that's not what Elves are.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:25 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
Because gods like winners, and that's not what Elves are.
Awwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 PM

Elune

Because Varian can't be badass through his own merits and achievements. He has to have a supernatural edge to him that shows us just how awesome he is.

Really, Varian would be a lot better without the stupid Goldrinn hook. Let him be a regular warrior. Just a human with natural retard strength. The worst thing about all of this is that I don't think we'll ever see Varian's connection with Goldrinn coming to the forefront again. Naturally, this would be a good thing. However, since it's become quite a large chunk of his character, it becomes a bad thing if they just drop that hook forever.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Because Varian can't be badass through his own merits and achievements. He has to have a supernatural edge to him that shows us just how awesome he is.

Really, Varian would be a lot better without the stupid Goldrinn hook. Let him be a regular warrior. Just a human with natural retard strength. The worst thing about all of this is that I don't think we'll ever see Varian's connection with Goldrinn coming to the forefront again. Naturally, this would be a good thing. However, since it's become quite a large chunk of his character, it becomes a bad thing if they just drop that hook forever.
The moment we saw that the book was going to be penned by Knaak we knew beyond a doubt that this wouldn't be the case. By and large the book was decent considering its author but it still wouldn't be a Knaak title without a dbz-esque powerup. I'm just glad they didn't turn him half-druid or something similarly dense. (With stupid individuals like Foxblood it was a terrifying possible outcome)

Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
The moment we saw that the book was going to be penned by Knaak we knew beyond a doubt that this wouldn't be the case. By and large the book was decent considering its author but it still wouldn't be a Knaak title without a dbz-esque powerup. I'm just glad they didn't turn him half-druid or something similarly dense. (With stupid individuals like Foxblood it was a terrifying possible outcome)
Faerian Wrynn....

/shudder
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
(With stupid individuals like Foxblood it was a terrifying possible outcome)
My jaw dropped while reading that page. Everything about the character, including his name, is like something out of a bad fanfic.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
My jaw dropped while reading that page. Everything about the character, including his name, is like something out of a bad fanfic.
Least we can enjoy the fact that he may never show up in WoW.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
Actually him being varian's chief cartographer and pandaria being a new undiscovered continent, would probably be a interesting plot
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Awwww
This post/avatar combo was spot on.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Actually him being varian's chief cartographer and pandaria being a new undiscovered continent, would probably be a interesting plot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvdf5n-zI14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I hope we can see the Wolf-god infused Varian show up in game soon.

Last edited by Porimlys; 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM..