Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default Achievements and old world instances?

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath...hievements.xml

So, I admit, it sounds a LOT like both Xbox games and WAR's own Achievements system, but they mentioned that EVERY boss has an achievement associated with it. Do you think this will give at least a bit of an impetus to replay old raids?
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM

Elune

I wonder how inclusive the retroactive achievements will be. For example, if it is kill x amount of people, will it go by how many people you have ever killed or do you have to then go out and kill x people? Or say "do 50 quests" do you have to do a fresh 50 or does your back stock count.

It will certainy be interesting to know my total gold looted from character creation at release.

And yes, old raids will certainly see at least a little more play for achievment whores, though I wouldn't count on weekly AQ raids.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:15 PM

Loremaster

One potential drawback could emerge from the mentioned possibility of a "finishing an instance without a single death"-type achievement. I could imagine PUG instance attempts falling apart after one death causes the healer or tank to hearth out and look for a new group because he/she came along just for the no-death run.

Achievement for running instances short-handed are a neat idea too. Instead of jumping from regular to heroic instances, a motivation to run the regular with only four could also provide a good way of training players for the next level of difficulty by encouraging them to face higher damage output on the tank and slower DPS due to one less slot for DPS/CC. Could make for a good form of practice for those players who hover just barely around the area of being survivable in Heroics but aren't quite geared enough yet to feel certain of their chances.

All in all, it's an interesting idea that, in the longer term, could motivate Blizz to reevaluate the possibility of heroic Old World dungeons if it works out. An achievement for conquering Dire Maul could be seen as a waste of time for overleveled groups, but might be more worth it to 65-80 lvl players if it includes a real challenge to their current level gear and abilities, and it'd also make it more feasible to encourage groups of such people to revisit the classic instances.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:30 AM

Eternal

Seems fun. But it would be even more fun if exploration meant like "find a way to get to Mount Hyjal, uninstanced Black Morass, Emerald Dream" etc but I guess that will never happen -.-
Old 07-18-2008, 04:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Seems fun. But it would be even more fun if exploration meant like "find a way to get to Mount Hyjal, uninstanced Black Morass, Emerald Dream" etc but I guess that will never happen -.-
Blizzard doesn't want people to explore there. ;o
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Blizzard doesn't want people to explore there. ;o
Anyone can go to the Black Morass, and it's not instanced at all. Infact, you need to go through it to get to Outland
Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 AM

Elune

Roblore was talking about the unfinished areas, not sure does that include soem Black Morass thingy or something.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:20 AM

Hippogryph

Well, the idea is old. Swg had it, Lotro had it. but... all bosses? I think there should only be achievements for awesome, cool and for bosses whom are hard to kill. Having 1 for all, i think, will kind of like giving everyone in a race a medal. And im not thinking about only endgame bosses here. Theres many bosses in lvl 10-60 instances whom are VERY cool, and could well darn have an achievement on them

fixed atm
Old 07-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Eternal

There was a Black Morass under CoT pre-TBC atleast. Not sure if it exists now. And I think Blizzard supported exploration long ago because they had lots of jokes in those areas.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
There was a Black Morass under CoT pre-TBC atleast. Not sure if it exists now. And I think Blizzard supported exploration long ago because they had lots of jokes in those areas.
Ken is refering to the area that was once known as the Black Morass, now known at the Blasted Lands.

And Blizz never wanted you to go anywhere they didn't finish. Remember "Guardians of Blizzard?"
Old 07-18-2008, 09:07 AM

Eternal

Those we only in one zone in release and that was old Outland/Outland BG. Blizzard had lots of funny signs and I remember and GM said that they didnt care if you would go to Hyjal (which they do now for some reason ).

I remember in a hidden Dwarf farm there was a sign called something like: "Which way" "That Way" "The Other Way" "This Way".
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Yay, lot of jokes in those places.

For example, if you world fall in deadwind, you'll see a smiley in the terrain under the tower.

I hope they're "kill all bosses of an instance instead of each boss.

Those "kill without dying" and "kill with fists are cool too".

Lol.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~