Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-20-2008, 12:54 AM

Hippogryph Rider

Default SPOILER: Varian Wrynn's wife named in Wow Comic #13 Preview

Calia Menethil-fans, you can scratch this one off your list - Anduin's mother was named Tiffin.

Preview for Wow Comic #13:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/misc/...sneakpeek.html
Old 11-20-2008, 01:22 AM

Elune

Your too slow!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 AM

Arch-Druid

Yeah I bought the comic yesterday, helps clear up some stuff.
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
Yeah I bought the comic yesterday, helps clear up some stuff.
Ah its out? Can you make a topic or shall we just wait for Gurtogg to make one? =)
Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Ah its out? Can you make a topic or shall we just wait for Gurtogg to make one? =)
I'll let Gurt make the big one in a new thread, he usually goes into great detail. I'll just make a smaller one here with a little spoiler disclaimer, no need for two new threads. =)

WoW # 13 SPOILERS !!!!

Skipping the preview pages since you can read those your damn self!

As we left off talking about the Stonemason's fees, Varian talks about his fruitless attempts to mediate the situation. His saddest memory coming with the death of his dear Tiffin in the riots. He fell into a deep depression afterwards, or perhaps more of Onyxia's foul magics at work? Only through the growth of his son Anduin, did Varian began to assert his will, and fight off the lethargy.

Soon Jaina suggested a meeting with Thrall to discuss a pact between their respective kingdoms. Varian refused at first, why peace with the monstrous orcs who've plagued his people for so long? Anduin convinces his father to hear Thrall out, despite Onyxia's objections.

As they travel through a fierce storm, they talk about the Defias's kidnapping schemes. Attacking Varian while he slept, possibly drugging him, and killing those loyal to him. As they're about to discuss the naga, and how disturbing it is that they share so many memories, they are attacked!

Onyxia has sent black drakes to stop them. Lo'gosh calls Onyxia a bitch while Broll uses his druidic powers to strike and drown the drakes. Valeera comments that Onyxia must be afraid, Lo'gosh says not yet, but she will be soon.

They finally arrive at Theramore, Jaina comments about the twins appearance, and the similar magic that surrounds them. Valeera sees Aegwynn, and discusses her dream and the danger the young elf faces. Jaina mentions how shes been researching a dark spell that deals with Varian's problem. However, both Varian's wish to save Anduin right away, for he is in grave danger.

A short scene shows Anduin doing his best to survive long enough until his father arrives, whichever one that is.

Back in Theramore, Jaina tells the "twins" that they must learn about Onyxia's magic first, before facing her. She believes the spell was designed to remove and destroy Varian's conscience, will, and responsibility. By doing this Onyxia could regain control on a more malleable puppet. Jaina has them both try to remember more about what happened by using magic. They recall the torture scene, people in hooded cloaks chanting a strange language. Varian tries to reason, to break free, to make them acknowledge his existence, but they ignore him.

Soon his rage becomes incandescent, arcing from his being. He feels searing agony, and fights his way to consciousness, only to realize there is another Varian laying beside him! One of the hooded members yells in triumph, and is shown to be none other than Lady Prestor. She has seperated Varian's will, and plans to destroy that version to make the other completely her slave.

Before she is able to carry out this plan, Naga attracted to Varian's rage flash and screams, attack the intruders of their island. A battle erupts between Morgalla's naga and Onyxia's human disguised dragonspawn. The Varian's find themselves freed during the encounter and try to fight their way to an escape. The Naga eventually capture Varian for ransom, while Lo'gosh eventually escapes Onyxia's attempt to destroy him (though she believes she killed him)

Back in the Tower, the Varian's come to realise they are not brothers, but are one divided by half. Jaina claims they are both wrong, that they each found a way to overcome their weaknesses. She gives them the twin blades wielded by twin night elf warriors during the WoTA as a gift. She believes between the both of them, they have twice the strength, wisdom, and will to finally destroy Onyxia.

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 11-20-2008 at 03:51 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 02:08 AM

Elune

I'm waiting! humph!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I'm waiting! humph!
Hope it was alright lol.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 AM

Arch-Druid

I will get the issue in a couple of hours, but the summary sounds very interesing so far.

So both Varians are real. "Lo'gosh" escaped and was washed up at the shores of durotan, while "Varian" was imprisoned by the Naga. (Which actually means that he was the Pre Patch 1.10 Varian.)

Varians Full Background was also finally revealed and what he did from the Second war up to the Present. So it was his Son who convinced him to make the meeting with Thrall. (The Boy is indeed smarter than his Dad )

Last edited by Vineyard; 11-20-2008 at 06:55 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:08 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
I will get the issue in a couple of weeks, but the summary sounds very interesing so far.

So both Varians are real. "Lo'gosh" escaped and was washed up at the shores of durotan, while "Varian" was imprisoned by the Naga. (Which actually means that he was the Pre Patch 1.10 Varian.)

Varians Full Background was also finally revealed and what he did from the Second war up to the Present. So it was his Son who convinced him to make the meeting with Thrall. (The Boy is indeed smarter than his Dad )
To be fair to Varian, all he faced with the orcs was bad. Stormwind's destruction, the second war, even after the second war he was still dealing with a bunch of orcs. Heck even in WC3 Jaina and Thrall were about to battle each other at first. Varian just had a bad history, plus he never got the chance to see the Horde's transformation, nor meet Thrall like Jaina. Also unlike say Daelin, he did change his mind to go, so he was willing to alter his stance at least.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 AM

Elune

Yeah it seems like a nice chapter, now to see what will happen. I mean they are both reasonable men and would not want to murder each other but... you know i think this is what happens:

The Charming Varian sacrifises his life in a daring attempt to save Anduin, lets say from a fire breath. Then Barbarian Varian slaughters Onyxia, and he shares his final talk with the charming, something cliche yet emotionally touching!

This is the best way to solve the issue and know what happens, and ofcourse as Barbarian Varian sees the charmer die, he feels a part of him has died, but he moves more onto caring about his son and the meeting with Thrall they are going tof ace.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 AM

Arch-Druid

Whatever happens, hopefully Varian gets both of the swords lol
Old 11-20-2008, 03:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
Whatever happens, hopefully Varian gets both of the swords lol
I guess the Quel'serrars he wields are those swords. ;P
Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I guess the Quel'serrars he wields are those swords. ;P
Its a vastly different looking set than the Quel'serrars with their own unique names. Plus they look like they could combine to make one big sword lol. I always felt the older Quel'serrars clashed with his new model. I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept the Quel'serrars though.

Also swords given by Jaina just seem cool. It might not be defeating a mighty monster, but getting stuff from a hot powerful chick is the way to go.

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 11-20-2008 at 03:54 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 03:33 AM

Elune

Interesting, hope i can see the comic myself soon. :p
Old 11-20-2008, 04:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Nice.

Hope scarless Varian survives, or they just merge into 1 being.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 AM

Elune

Scarless Varian will not survive, you can judge it from the comic covers and WoTLK by yourself.

EDIT: And why should they merge? both sides have overcome their own respected weaknesses they encountered, they are more badass than ever before.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:32 AM

Arch-Druid

*points at sig*
Told you they put him together in the wrong way....(and I AM certain I saw a shelf called Varian at IKEA once)
Old 11-20-2008, 05:03 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Uh huh.

This is illogical. She what? Cloned Varian?

Why not make an army of badass Varians?

Who is he? Jango Fett?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
This is illogical. She what? Cloned Varian?
She removed the grim personality of Varian by ripping it out of him literally, its a good story and reason tbh. I mean this is a fantasy setting and we already know magic can do wonders!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Next time she should remove his funny-side and make a Varian-clown.

Hell, Varian army.

Execute order 66: Kill all the Shamans and Far Seers, including Thrall!

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-20-2008, 05:26 AM

Elune

I don't know are you guys complaining or what but if you got a better and more original story than this, please show it.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:46 AM

Loremaster

Basically this is what I predicted would happen. So basically, Varian was split into two personalities, each one representing a part of the original Varian. So the real Varian is gone, unless the two become one yet again.

Also, Tiffin is such a stupid name. They should have went with Calia.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:58 AM

Arch-Druid

Man, I wrote weeks, and meaned hours.

Got it now.

Great Art and a good Story. Really Great Issue. Oh, and I begin to like Anduin more and more.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Basically this is what I predicted would happen. So basically, Varian was split into two personalities, each one representing a part of the original Varian. So the real Varian is gone, unless the two become one yet again.

Also, Tiffin is such a stupid name. They should have went with Calia.
They will. In Stormwind in-game he wields both swords that Jaina gives his two copies in this issue.

Last edited by Warlock; 11-20-2008 at 07:18 AM..
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Well, this just opens for possible future Calia plotlines.

THE LICH QUEEN!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.