Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 04-21-2009, 08:45 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default The Art of Translation: For the Artists of SoL

So after looking at some of the newer submissions in Blizzard's fan art section, as well as the Sons of the Storm galleries, I realized there's something we've yet to see on Scrolls. We have fan fiction, fan theory, even fanon, but no real consolidated place for fan art. So here's a thread to get people started, and a question that might help spur the shy artists that skulk amongst us to speak up and post.

What's the best way for all of us to depict our characters, themes, and environments so that people who are more inclined to draw can accurately bring our imaginations to life?

In simpler terms, how can we help the artists on SoL draw out what our regular posters imagine?

Feel free to post any pictures or advice you desire here, so long as it's SFW (and if it's not, just provide a web link to it.)

The Mad Admin
Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 AM

Sentinel Queen

Well, I'll probably not be volunteering much for work - I've got plenty enough as it is - but I figured I might as well put my name up there as potential gruntwork-artists. I used to do WarCraft-related commissions... nah, much to official... I used to do pictures for people I knew and who asked nicely. But that was, mostly, a long time ago. Nowadays... well, I've already noted my other-stuff-to-do predicament.

Here, I'll throw in my last WarCraft-creation, dated... oh... half a year ago? No, more, gotta be. The general intention is, I think, rather... well, it speaks for itself. Tee hee.

Hurh, I'd pick a smaller picture to showcase meself, but they're all even older than this one, and consequently... well, worse. Y'know artists. The last thing to've come off my (digital) canvas is the only thing worth much; everything else sort of just degrades with time and progress. Heeh...

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 04-22-2009 at 05:39 AM..
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Holy crap, you're a master. You should submit that; you've got legendary skills my friend. I didn't know there was even more to you than professional map designs.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Awesome work, Ashenmoon.

I'm starting to think you're Blizzard's sniper .

Also, I'm sure you'd be accepted in case you send it.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-22-2009, 07:23 AM

Eternal

Holy shit Ashen. Nice work I am speechless.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 04-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Sentinel Queen

Ah, thankees, fellas! Always appreciated to hear it's... appreciated. Tee hee!

And oh, I'm sure it'd be no great ordeal getting into Blizz' fan art pages, I've just not... dunno. Cared for it. So if someone had a burning desire of getting something into said fan art pages, I could be your go-to guy, but I consider myself retired from less... urgent needs, so to say. If it means alot to someone, I love to help out, but if it's just some fleeting inspiration, I'm not the guy to go to.

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 04-22-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Hell, so long as you're inspiring and helping others with their artwork, it's still worthwhile in the end.

That's a damn exquisite piece you made, intimidating even. The exaggerated lines make the chaos of battle look even more hectic, as well as the attention to detail.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

That's great. Really. Never pegged you for a painter, though.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Eternal

Neither did I. That's just fantastic.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashenmoon View Post
A very fucking epic paiting

My admiration for this drawing can be condensed and sold as a power source for a major metropolitan area.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 04-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Sentinel Queen

Heh, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've frightened off all the other aspiring artists of the forum - who I, as Cantus brought up, would love to help in any way I can... well... okay, in just some of the ways I can. The reasonable ones.

Anyhow, more "thankees" to y'three! And hmmh, I don't strike you as the paintery type? Well. I do like to think my interests are diverse, that I do... though the maps 'n' all that ought've given me away, I'd've thought!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:56 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Heh, I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've frightened off all the other aspiring artists of the forum
Yeah there's no way for an "aspiring" artist to follow that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:35 AM

Eternal

Well, i know that Ken has already linked some of his art before, maybe Ashen did scared him off.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 AM

Well, I know that I'm not scared of Just really lazy... <,<

The first is nothing Warcraft related, though...

The "Nerubian Doc" here, is a healer for the nerubian race I thought up... He favors using leeches

Old 04-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949
Send a message via MSN to Xarthat

That given, I feel now with my pictures like a retarded child doodling in his notebook.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Warden

Eh, why not. I will post up some of my crap. Note: it is a mere grain of sand compared to Ashen's skills but eh.

On an RP forum for my realm, it was a fad for a while to do celebrity made avatars of your character. Here are a bunch that I did by request.

Samual L Jackson is my orc. As if the undead girl and the avatar I currently have.

Way too many fucking elves. D:

A request from a friend. sadly, I never finished it:

My orc, unfinished >.<

More orcy goodness:

A collaboration between myself and a friend [She drew it, I painted it]

and yet, more orc goodness:

[IMG][/IMG]

Blah.

Edit: Wow, most everything I do ends up unfinished.

Last edited by Hidden; 04-23-2009 at 02:14 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 02:09 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

That's what this thread is here for Xarth, so not only can people show off, but they can give pointers as well. Metzen, Samwise, etc. didn't build Warcraft and Starcraft from words alone, their drawings are a very dynamic part of the creation process. If we don't celebrate and help uplift that on Scrolls, alongside the other lore, we'd be missing a major portion of the world we love.

So please, post the sketches, and with a little critique and guidance from Ashen, Hand, and the other artists you can improve yourself.

The Mad Admin
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM

Eternal

Well, as soon as I get back my scanner in a working condition, I may post something, but expect manga-fankid level of art. It's really as much cartoonish as I don't want it to be.

BTW, Samuel L. Jackson as an Orc looks awesome. If they really make that movie, they should hire him for some role. Like Grom.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
BTW, Samuel L. Jackson as an Orc looks awesome. If they really make that movie, they should hire him for some role. Like Grom.
Even Sam Jackson doesn't possess enough angry to be Grom.

My scanner is also indefinitely not usable (it works, but it's so bad). I'll see if I can put something respectable up to get critique on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xarthat View Post
I know. Isn't it awesome? It took me so long to find someone to be an orc then I remember good ol SLJ and bam. Perfect candidate for an orc.

Edit:

he could so totally be Thrall if they gave him the right hairdo.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I didn't draw it, but here is a rough sketch of the main character of my superhero comic, Misanthrope, done by my buddy. He should be getting me the inks any day so I can color it.

And, what the heck, I'll throw in the original, unfinished sketch he did before deciding the Spiderman homage was better.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 PM

Problemsolver

Tried making some kind of goblin with swords and stuff.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:50 PM

Eternal

A humble request from me.

As a vice-administrator of polish site dedicated to ancient civilizations, I am asking if any of you guys (I'm looking especially at Hidden, Handclaw and Ashenmoon) could make - for free, unofortunately - some pictures based on mythological stories that we can fit in the tops of the site. My own art isn't kind of top-site yet, so that's why I'm asking you. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 AM

Sentinel Queen

Oh, Xhartat, you should've PM-ed me - I aint been keeping an eye on this thread.

Reason I'm here now is, I'm pondering what next I want to paint, with the only clear guideline that I want to do something pretty big. I've got an idea of my own, yes, but then I also had this nagging notion of doing something WarCraft-related. So bottom line is, I thought I could go here and see if y'all had any interesting ideas.

So... yeah. I want to do something, y'know, classical-feeling, historical-ish. Recent favourite of mine I stumbled across on Wikipedia is Vercingetorix surrenders to Caesar - something like that, but WarCraftish instead. I can think of some appropriate scenes m'self, of course, but can't seem to muster my interest for anything in particular.

Well. Thought I'd put it out here, and, as said, see if maybe someone's got a particular idea they always figured would work well in 2D. Not sure I'll really acquiesce - I might just do my own thing. But... well. Enough mumbling, already! If you've got an idea, go ahead and share it.

Last edited by Ashenmoon; 06-23-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Oh, Xhartat, you should've PM-ed me - I aint been keeping an eye on this thread.

Reason I'm here now is, I'm pondering what next I want to paint, with the only clear guideline that I want to do something pretty big. I've got an idea of my own, yes, but then I also had this nagging notion of doing something WarCraft-related. So bottom line is, I thought I could go here and see if y'all had any interesting ideas.

So... yeah. I want to do something, y'know, classical-feeling, historical-ish. Recent favourite of mine I stumbled across on Wikipedia is Vercingetorix surrenders to Caesar - something like that, but WarCraftish instead. I can think of some appropriate scenes m'self, of course, but can't seem to muster my interest for anything in particular.

Well. Thought I'd put it out here, and, as said, see if maybe someone's got a particular idea they always figured would work well in 2D. Not sure I'll really acquiesce - I might just do my own thing. But... well. Enough mumbling, already! If you've got an idea, go ahead and share it.
You can always draw our RP characters in Great War as they meet at Fenris Isle! *wink wink*

Tags
creative, realspace