Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Elune

Default The Scarlet Interlude

So, yes. The shortish prologue to my story. I fear that it's not very well-polished, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Death.

It was the only accurate way to describe the scene before him, Sauros reflected. The fools who dared to maintain their monastery on his peoples’ lands, who sought to defy death itself, were meeting it now.

A horrible grinding sound filled the air as the cathedral’s belfry, battered by Forsaken spells and meat wagons, collapsed in on itself, joining the conflagration raging throughout the center of the Scarlet Monastery. Sauros himself had set that fire inside the library when the siege began, after leading the initial penetration of the monastery. He chuckled, a hollow, ghastly sound, as he remembered one man, scarcely more than a boy; as his faithful Shaguun had bisected two fleeing monks at once, Sauros had cornered him, and seen an expression not of terror, but of disbelief, almost incredulity. Surely, the boy seemed to be saying, surely this man, this human whom I could have met in another life and never noticed, couldn’t really have come back from the dead to kill us all?

Sauros had enjoyed that moment, before he put an end to the boy’s dilemma with a flick of his wand.

“We wait here, while the Deathguard meets the fleeing Crusaders. Why?” growled the huge figure of Shaguun, beside him.
“Patience, my friend,” replied Sauros to the felguard. “Our task is accomplished. The Deathguard will be sufficient to--” He stopped, turning his head to the scene glimpsed out of the corner of his eye. “On second thought….”

Below the hill upon which the warlock and felguard stood, the linear ranks of the Deathguard had broken. A tightly packed mass of red had surrounded and killed two of them already, and looked to be forming a defensive circle around… Sauros couldn’t see what or who, but it was clearly enough for these Crusaders to launch a suicidal charge against a superior Deathguard force that was already converging around them. The warlock raised an eyebrow at the scene, not knowing whether to complement the Crusaders for their bravery or berate them for their stupidity.

“I suppose it makes no real difference,” he whispered, one-handedly dismissing Shaguun and pulling a green stone out of his pouch, tossing it into the air above the fighters. Hovering in the air for around a second, the stone abruptly swelled to the size of three men before plunging downward, leaving a trail of greenish fire before it impacted in the center of the Scarlet mass with a resounding crash. Sauros grinned as the infernal unfolded itself into its battle stance, imagining the fear that would surely be flooding through the humans as their prize was ripped away from them.

As he moved his gaze upwards, though, his grin faded. Through an
empty spot once occupied by the Deathguard, a trio of red-garbed horses, carrying equally clad riders, burst out the area of the siege and sprinted eastward, towards the Plaguelands.

“Zealots,” Sauros hissed in annoyance. But zealots clever enough to dupe the Forsaken, sacrificing their own lives to save those of their leaders. He ground his teeth together, staring at the fleeing Scarlets and knowing that unless the Bulwark defenders were even more overprepared than usual, there would be no chance of catching them.

Finally, he turned his attention back to the ruined monastery, sighing as he reflected on the fact that he and the Forsaken had scored a clear victory today, perhaps enough to drive the Scarlet plague from Tirisfal once and for all. But he didn’t like to be duped by humans, least of all the Crusade, and what was more, he was sure that the lead rider’s hair was of a color that almost no living human had. No living human except…

“Whitemane,” Sauros whispered. “So you were absent during that battle, all because you were waiting to flee. How reassuring to know that the Crusade can still feel fear… and mark my words, when I find you, I promise that you will have a greater knowledge of fear than any other being on Azeroth.”
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Sauros himself had set that fire inside the library when the siege began, after leading the initial penetration of the monastery.
Hoho, i couldn't stop laughing at this.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Woah, weird title. Seems familiar.

But well written story so far, although I can't link the title. Something tells me it will have something to do with tits, amirite?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Elune

Actually, I only named it that because I couldn't think of a title at all. It's basically a joke.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Nice.

I wonder who are the 2 other guys... Herod and Jimmy? Or Doan?

Mistery...

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Elune

And here we are with the second installment. Enjoy.

I feel cold. Of course I do; I see the snow drifting down around me… but I don’t feel it, I’m securely wrapped in thick furs. Then why do I feel this cold so fiercely… even indoors, as I see the general… Abbendis? Why are you here, and why are you looking at me like I’ve… wait, who’s standing over—

Sally Whitemane awoke with a scream, attempting to bolt upright but falling back on her bed from an abrupt wave of nausea. Clamping her eyes shut to stave it off, she lay there for a few seconds, simply breathing until she felt a hand touch hers. Opening her eyes, she looked into the smiling face of—

“Street,” said Whitemane, calming herself down. “Good. Can you—just what happened to me?”

“Arcanist Doan told me that you lost consciousness halfway to Tyr’s Hand, too far along to detour to Hearthglen,” said Bishop Street in his warm, reassuring voice. You were poisoned, I gathered; you’ve been unconscious for two days.”

Whitemane groaned as an incident rose to the top of her mind with painful clarity; a leather-clad Forsaken woman stabbing her in the arm with her dagger, and retreating before she could bring the wrath of the Light down on the creature. “I see. Where are Doan and Herod?”

“Both of them have been waiting outside the infirmary for you.” He chuckled. “I’ve never seen Herod look quite so worried.”

Whitemane gave him a small smile in return. “Well, it’s always good to feel needed. Tell them I thank them for their concern, if I can’t get up now to do it myself.”

“I wouldn’t recommend it. However, there’s another visitor who insisted upon seeing you as soon as possible, and I couldn’t find it within myself to refuse her.” Street walked over to the surprisingly small door to the infirmary, opening it; immediately, an indistinct shape burst into the room and ran over to the bedside, hugging Whitemane tightly.

“Oh, Sally,” came a muffled female voice. “The mist was thin today and I could see the monastery burning and I thought that you—and then Herod brought you back on his horse and you were so pale you looked undead yourself…”

“Giselle?” asked Whitemane stupidly.

The girl giggled. “Sally, of course it’s me.” Finally withdrawing from her hug, she revealed herself: a slim woman of around sixteen years, so like Whitemane in build but younger and fresher, unmarred by war and lacking Whitemane’s namesake; her hair was instead an appealing shade of auburn.

“I… I thought you were at Hearthglen. It’s where most of the civilians under our protection are living, is it not?” asked Whitemane, staring up at her sister and feeling an automatic smile spread across her face.

“Well,” said Giselle, “the high general has ordered the construction of two new villages in the reforested area east of Tyr’s Hand, New Avalon and another we haven’t named yet. Most of our civilians will be moved there as soon as there’s room; she feels that Hearthglen is too close to Forsaken territory to be safe, and… well, we don’t have the Monastery anymore. But more than that, Bishop Street has agreed to take me in as his apprentice.”

Whitemane’s mouth dropped open. “You? As a full priestess?”

“Of course… why? What’s wrong with that?” asked Giselle, giving Whitemane a look of concern mixed with some hurt.

“I… please don’t misunderstand me. I have no doubts that you would do wonderfully, but to see you joining this fight…” Whitemane sighed.
“You’re just sixteen, Giselle.”

“Oh, and look at you!” Giselle retorted. “You’re not even twenty yet, and I know how early you had to start to get to where you are now.”

Whitemane opened her mouth to retort, and then closed it, sighing. Her sister was right; even five years ago, when she’d received her apprenticeship with Isilien, the Scourge had begun its advance upon Lordaeron, and she’d been thrust into harm’s way almost immediately. The swiftest way to know if the Light has chosen you is to see if it destroys your foes, Isilien had said. She opened her mouth again, aware that Giselle was looking at her with a triumphant expression on her face.

“All right. You’re right, and Light knows we need more people out there. I just…” She stopped, suddenly feeling as though she was choking up.

Giselle, understanding, leaned down to kiss Whitemane’s cheek, smiling at her. “I know. I love you too, Sally, but you have to let me go. I can’t just sit in Hearthglen, reading over philosophy books. The Scourge is a blight upon existence itself, and I can’t let myself not fight it.”

“I know,” said Whitemane, nodding.

“And remember, it’s not as though you’re sending me off to never be seen again. The Crusade’s been so badly whittled down that the unit in Tyr’s Hand is about all that’s left of us. We should be seeing a lot of each other.”

Whitemane nodded again, saying nothing in response but bringing her arms up and giving her sister a warm hug, which Giselle eagerly reciprocated, until the younger girl caught a glimpse of Street standing in the corner of the room, watching them patiently. Blushing slightly, she removed herself from Whitemane’s arms and left the infirmary, respectfully nodding at the bishop as she did so.

“Well,” said Street, smiling at Whitemane, “I believe you can receive Doan and Herod now.”
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

It was well written, but my only complaint is that the characterization is perhaps a bit off. For radical Scarlets they're a bit too cooshy coo and family friendly. I'd expect Whitemane to be a bit more 'formal' perhaps. But that's just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomit View Post
It was well written, but my only complaint is that the characterization is perhaps a bit off. For radical Scarlets they're a bit too cooshy coo and family friendly. I'd expect Whitemane to be a bit more 'formal' perhaps. But that's just my opinion.
Considering the Scarlets are basically canon SoL. They're TOO formal.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Elune

So you guys seen the Paletress vs. Whitemane art on 4chan yet? Kinda lolworthy considering this topic. =*)