Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 03:08 PM

Druid of the Claw

Default Tauren Druid Lore (new thread as I am unsure where this would fit)

The latest PTR has brought some interesting things up, Trag Highmountain can be seen at the tournament now, great to see comic characters making their way into the game.

And browsing through lore findings I came across this (all pictures are not credited to me).

Horde-side only quest:

A new quest (unfinished by the looks of it) starting by the Dalaran portals, given by a Tauren NPC, the quest is called An Injured Colleague http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2236/69196195.jpg (see link for Quest log entry)

Once you reach Elder rise, you can't really do anything, but there is gossip talk between NPCs (one of them, the person you were supposed to find for the quest).

You can see the quest text here: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8507/86611861.jpg

The NPCs talking will also have something to say if you talk to them:
See here: (Aponi Brightmane: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7905/36251802.jpg)
See here: (Tahu Sagewind: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2187/53931230.jpg)

I'm sure there's been debates here about the Earthmother, Elune, and how they all tie in together between the Tauren and the Night elven's way of seeing these things -- mental clusterfucks and connections/disparity that couldn't be explained sure happened, and it's nice to see that even Tauren (well, at least that one), considers that maybe there is more to the druidic arts than he has been taught, and that he could learn something from the Night elves.

I have been unable to find a comparable quest for alliance.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Elune

3.2 PATCH IS JUST MADE FAST, BLIZZARD IS MAKING A FAST EXPANSION AND THIS PATCH SUCKS, IT HAS NO LORE AND ITS JUST QUICKLY DONE BECAUSE BLIZZARD DOESN'T CARE.

PS. Sorry if you don't get whom i'm making fun of, but to be serious: Thanks for the new info, its quite outrageous sir. =D
Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM

Eternal

Well, atleast there is some lore so far. Hopefully we will see more further one.

And my critism about Colosseum has been:

* All bosses are recycled.

* Feels rushed.

* Little known lore so far.

* Most people think a raid such as Azjol-Nerub, Gundrak, Uldum, Grim Batol or the entire Chamber of Aspects would have been a better choice.

And then you are making fun of a large number of the player base too, and not only me.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
And my critism about Colosseum has been:

You've seem them?

Quote:
* Feels rushed.
The PTR just got out, how can it be rushed?
Quote:
* Little known lore so far.
It's already getting larger than what Ulduar delivered us.

Quote:
* Most people think a raid such as Azjol-Nerub, Gundrak, Uldum, Grim Batol or the entire Chamber of Aspects would have been a better choice.
Prove it.

Quote:
And then you are making fun of a large number of the player base too, and not only me.
Yep and you belong to that "stupid side of Blizzard fanbase" Honestly there were loads of people moaning little things over Diablo 3 Fact is Blizzard spoils its fan base with goodies so you brats just whine and whine from little details like you deserve something better.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:12 PM

Eternal

Its rushed because all bosses are recycled (yes, I have seen them all), its on the PTR already and it will probably be released next month.
And then we will have Colosseum for a month, 3.3 annouchment, another month and PTR (September). 3.3 will be released some time in October and the next expansion in the summer next year, or at Christmas.

How is the Colosseum raid and lore getting larger then Ulduar?
So far, Ulduar has ten times more (epic) lore then the Argents little playground. All the lore we have is that some Scourge infilitrates, some Kvaldir are messing around and a crypt lord perhaps Anub'arak has been sent to the Colosseum to kill the Champions.

I cant prove it, but read around on mmo-champions, worldofraids and the official forums etc and you will see that there is indeed a lot of QQ about thee patch.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Its rushed because all bosses are recycled (yes, I have seen them all),
Okay show them then.
October and the next expansion in the summer next year, or at Christmas.

Quote:
How is the Colosseum raid and lore getting larger then Ulduar?So far, Ulduar has ten times more (epic) lore then the Argents little playground. All the lore we have is that some Scourge infilitrates, some Kvaldir are messing around and a crypt lord perhaps Anub'arak has been sent to the Colosseum to kill the Champions.
How is the Ulduar raid lore any large at all? We got to know:
- Algalon
- Yogg-saron
- The Watchers

Thats the only little lore we had, while now were getting loads of quests and whatnot, its already showing significant amount of lore but ofcourse you'll live in denial.

Quote:
I cant prove it, but read around on mmo-champions, worldofraids and the official forums etc and you will see that there is indeed a lot of QQ about thee patch.
And? Theres always incredible amount of whining regarding everything, what is your point? Blizzard fanbase = spoiled brats.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Seeing as things like the tier armor are currently using placeholder graphics, is it so hard to believe the same might be true for the bosses this early in the PTR?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

How about we talk about this actual lore nugget?

What exactly are they getting at? That there's a sun god or a sun-focused counterpart to druidism? Or is druidism supposed to be the counter to undeath?

Anyway, I think this is setting up some emerald dream expansion stuff.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:32 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
How about we talk about this actual lore nugget?

What exactly are they getting at? That there's a sun god or a sun-focused counterpart to druidism? Or is druidism supposed to be the counter to undeath?

Quite possibly that the counterpoint is the Light, both sides to magics that are positive, but each in their own way.

Of course that pisses me off, simply because I hate the new theory that good and evil are actually compact entities that have varying manifestations.

The Mad Admin
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Eternal

Perhaps... this could be the introduction of a the next healing hero class? I doubt so, because I do not believe there will be a hero class in the next expansion.

I believe that An'shu is the Light and Mu'sha is Elune.

I agree that they are starting to build up in-game lore about the next expansion. Otherwise they wouldnt put this in, I think.

In August it will be announched.
Perhaps we will see something like this...

"Introducing... the Dawnwalker!" (just came up with the name in 5 seconds) or something like that
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Perhaps... this could be the introduction of a the next healing hero class? I doubt so, because I do not believe there will be a hero class in the next expansion.

I believe that An'shu is the Light and Mu'sha is Elune.
Uh, dude, what the fuck are you smoking? How does that have anything to do with a new healing class? I mean that's talking about how the Tauren and Night Elf druids might worship the same god, maybe have to revise their own histories, but nothing about healing.

Edit: And great find Eylirria

The Mad Admin
Old 06-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Uh, dude, what the fuck are you smoking? How does that have anything to do with a new healing class? I mean that's talking about how the Tauren and Night Elf druids might worship the same god, maybe have to revise their own histories, but nothing about healing.
Are you questioning Roblore and his great detective work?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Eternal

If you read the post I said "I doubt it" and it was only a random idea that they would build up lore for the next hero class, but I think thats unlikely.
But I do believe that An'she is the Light in Tauren myths, its already known that he is the sun.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Elune

I guarantee 3.2 is Grim Batol.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Elune

This text is interesting. As I interpret it, Hamuul has basically just entirely co-opted the Druidism of the Night Elves, which has been influenced by their cultural reverence for Elune. This young Druid thinks that this is only part of what druidism is and is not the full path once embraced by the Tauren but now long forgotten.

I’ve advanced the theory that Elune is Mu’sha before, and that she is only part of a greater pantheon that just doesn’t get the same attention. Basically, the theory was that the Tauren myths are true or at least mostly true and that Elune is the spawn of the Earthmother (her eye) as is An'she, the Sun God(dess). This young druid may be rediscovering the forgotten gods of the sun and the true heritage of the Tauren people, the original and mightiest druids. Think things like Sunfire, etc.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Great find, Elyrria. Thanks .

The thing about "found a better path, unknown to your teacher" is... scary.

Interesting, anyway. Like how they prepare the setting for the next expansion before announcing it.

Quote:
Obvious. I don't doubt any longer about what's coming at 4.0.1.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
This young druid may be rediscovering the forgotten gods of the sun and the true heritage of the Tauren people, the original and mightiest druids..
Am I the only one who really, really doesn't like this? Druidism has always been an integral part of NIGHT ELF culture and lore. I was fine with them making the concession to allow tauren and female druids for gameplay balance... but depicting the tauren druids as not only earlier druids, but with a somehow more "true" or "correct" form of druidism just seems... wrong to me.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Am I the only one who really, really doesn't like this? Druidism has always been an integral part of NIGHT ELF culture and lore. I was fine with them making the concession to allow tauren and female druids for gameplay balance... but depicting the tauren druids as not only earlier druids, but with a somehow more "true" or "correct" form of druidism just seems... wrong to me.

It's the druidism in Warcraft, not D&D based worlds. Although we all know Warcraft is inspired by D&D. But it has evolved to a new world involved with lots of new elements. So have to accept it.

And we also know there are also some awful lore in Warcraft after all.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Elune

EVERYTHING has at least some awful lore in it. Fallout had New Reno which, while a masterwork of area and quest design, made no sense on several levels.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
I’m completely of the opposite opinion. I always felt just shoe-horning Tauren into Druidism the way they did was cheap and under-developed. An expansion on this, and the original Tauren Druids, was what I have been craving. It’s a rich topic that can be delved into deeply.

I guess I always felt Tauren got the short end of the stick, as they were the only ones in the entire mythos whose “gods” were considered not real. Countless theories about “oh, the Earthmother is just a Titan, Elemental, Imaginary creature, etc.” I wanted the Tauren mythology to be true and developed, and it seems we may be finally getting that.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curll View Post
It's the druidism in Warcraft, not D&D based worlds. Although we all know Warcraft is inspired by D&D. But it has evolved to a new world involved with lots of new elements. So have to accept it.

And we also know there are also some awful lore in Warcraft after all.
Wheeeeen did I mention D&D at all? I was completely unaware that night elves and tauren were even IN D&D.

I just don't like how they're taking something that has always been shown as intrinsically night elven and now revealing that it was originally tauren, or that the night elves somehow got their own mythology "wrong".
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Wheeeeen did I mention D&D at all? I was completely unaware that night elves and tauren were even IN D&D.

I just don't like how they're taking something that has always been shown as intrinsically night elven and now revealing that it was originally tauren, or that the night elves somehow got their own mythology "wrong".
The tauren myths mentioned tauren druids, and it's been confirmed that the tauren were Cenarius' first students. And this doesn't say the night elves are wrong, it just means that, since their culture centers around Elune, their brand of druidism focused only on her aspect of nature instead of on "the bigger picture", like An'she and the Earthmother.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:32 AM

I thought it was established that those tauren myths about them being the first druids were either misinterpreted with a tauren cultural bias or outright propaganda? I mean, it has been repeatedly canonically stated that malfurion was the first druid, and last time I checked, he was a night elf.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I thought it was established that those tauren myths about them being the first druids were either misinterpreted with a tauren cultural bias or outright propaganda? I mean, it has been repeatedly canonically stated that malfurion was the first druid, and last time I checked, he was a night elf.
He was the first druid among the night elves.

And, like Gurt said, I too always found it kinda sad that the only race whose mythology was wrong was the tauren's. This development remedies that problem.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Elune

Quote:
That was never established. Malfurion was the first druid of the druids that currently exist.