Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Grunt Rules and Regs of SoL

Rules and Regulations

0. No smart-assing your way around the rules. Doing so will earn you a one month suspension all the way up to a permanent ban.

1. Don't double post. Bumping a week old thread is fine.
1.a. If you do double post and need to delete it, press the Edit button and select delete or physically remove from the menu options in the Edit panel. A more graphical version of this "how to" is here...vBulletin's User Options FAQ
1.a.i. Users with 1-100 posts will not be punished for double-posting unless their behavior is considered abusive.
1.b. If you do not remove your own double post within 24 hours of doing so, a moderator will remove it for you and give you an "Assing."

1.c.
If you want to post in a very old thread (known as Necroing or Resurrecting) it may be a good idea to PM a moderator first. If it's a question, simply post it in the Novice Sanctuary with hyperlinks to the thread(s) and other members will gladly give you an answer.
2. All links with questionable content need NSFW tags next to them. See 2.a. for the NSFW scale to use. This is not just for the protection of users, but rather for the protection of the forum itself. In order to remain off block lists used by government, educational, and business entities it's important to keep a measure of distance between excessively sexual or violent content and Scrolls of Lore.
2.a. The NSFW scale is as follows.
2.a.1 For extreme and excessive violence (say live and gruesome footage of a warzone or gory movie) add EV to NSFW.
2.a.2 For general sexual content add SC, for nudity add Softcore, Hardcore, or MAC (MAC means change your MAC address before viewing this because it's that absurd.)
2.a.3 For anything else you're worried might not be appropriate content for those viewing at work or school, add NSFW Misc.
3. No advertising or spamming. If you want to promote your guild there's a topic already on the WoW board. If you want to promote your book, band, website, or other personal endeavor it belongs in the Goblin Marketplace. If you're unsure about anything, private message a moderator or Administrator and we'll be happy to respond.
3.a. Avoid replying to spam threads, if they happen to sneak through the filters. Just notify a mod and we'll deal with it. All posts made in a spam thread will be deleted and are thus a waste of time.

3.b.
As a friendly suggestion to those who wish to join the forum, try to post at least once soon after you sign up. Why? We periodically cull excess accounts with 0 posts, the vast majority of which are spambots, and cannot control whether your name is removed from the data base if you have not proven yourself to be human.

3.c.
Anyone who continually promotes a personal, non-Warcraft related endeavor outside of the Goblin Marketplace will be dealt with severely. Scrolls of Lore allows its members to seek out assistance and flourish on their own, but we are not an advertising medium, we are a lore forum. Anyone who posts solely in the Goblin marketplace, i.e. they are only here for personal press, will be banned.
4. Don't create multiple accounts unless absolutely necessary. Old extra accounts are grandfathered in.

Link and Upload Control - Don't excessively hot link unless necessary. Hyperlinks and images are fine, but videos and .gifs should be used as rarely as possible, if at all. ("Hotlink" is defined as the direct display of multi-media content in a post or thread, with or without accompanying web address text.)
5.a. Signatures may not include hotlinked videos, .gifs, or other moving picture file types. If these are found, they will be removed.

5.b. Avatars may not include hotlinked moving picture file types unless approved by an Admin or Moderator.

5.c. You may not upload or hotlink to content that is deemed NSFW or abusive without Administrator or Moderator approval.
5.c.1. Links to NSFW content must be labeled according to the NSFW scale. Links that are not labeled in this way will be removed.
6. Harassment, Abuse, and Flamewars
6.a. Flame Wars - If a flamewar is initiated, the participants will be allowed 2 warnings by staff. If these warnings are ignored they will receive a 3 day suspension from the forums. When they return, they will be under probation for a period of 1 week. If they resume their behavior or repeatedly violate other rules they will receive further moderation including an extended 7 day suspension escalating all the way up to a permanent ban depending upon the extent of violations.
6.a.1. Definition of a Flame War - 6 posts within 2 pages containing derogatory terms directed at other members and/or ad hominem attacks classifies the initiation of a flame war.
6.b. Harassment - Individuals involved in harassment will be allowed 3 warnings by staff. If these warnings are ignored they will receive a 7 day suspension from the forums. When they return, they will be under probation for a period of 2 weeks. If they resume their behavior or repeatedly violate other rules they will receive further moderation including an extended 30 day suspension escalating all the way up to a permanent ban depending upon the extent of violations.
6.b.1. Definition of Harassment - Repeatedly (3 or more posts within a day) making abusive, derogatory, or ad hominem attacks of one or more posters throughout multiple pages or threads with little or no response in kind.
6.c. Extreme Abuse and Threats - Individuals involved in abusive behavior including physical threats that are deemed real will receive an automatic ban and their IP will be reported to the proper authorities.
6.c.1. Definition of Extreme Abuse and Threats - Individuals whose behavior falls under the legal definition of Stalking under the United States legal code. As well, individuals whose behavior represents a clear and present physical or psychological (i.e. one leading to severe psychological trauma as defined by the United States legal code and the current APA Diagnostic and Statistical Manual) danger to themselves or others.
6.c.2. Addendum - Extreme abuse must be established through evidence before action is taken. Any individual accusing others of such abuse falsely will receive an automatic permanent ban.
6.d For users who have been notified of extremely toxic or abusive behavior, pursuant to rules outlined in section 6.a, 6.b, and 6.c, including multiple suspensions over the course of their time on SoL, a final warning will be issued via direct post and private message. If the behavior noted in the warning persists, the user will be permanently banned from access to Scroll's of Lore's Forum. The user(s) in question may respond to the warning, and users outside the scope of the Final Warning may give constructive and appropriate feedback for Staff to review after the Warning is issued.
7. Piracy and mention of Illegal or Immoral actions
7.a. While we encourage free speech, we ask that you do not incriminate yourself directly in order to promote your own and SoL's continued safety and unencumbered existence.

7.b.
Public posts that contain links or directions to materials deemed illegal under U.S. Federal and International law will be deleted. If you wish to share such information with other users do not use our website.
7.b.1. Individuals who post content deemed illegal by US Federal and International Law will be permanently banned and, depending on the content, their IP will be sent to the proper authorities.
7.c. Individuals who repeatedly post illegal material will be warned, and if required, moderator action will be taken up to and including a permanent ban.

7.d.
As a sign of our respect to Blizzard, we request you do not post about or exemplify activities that are against their ToS agreements. We will not delete such posts unless abuse occurs.
7.d.1. If you wish to share information that is in violation of the ToS agreements, we ask that you do so privately and, with respect, do not use our forums for it.
7.e. If you are posting scanned images of any Blizzard merchandise (novels, RPG books, magazines, and especially, comics and manga) that aren't publicly available, we request that you limit yourself to posting on 2 images worth of material.
8. Scrolls of Lore, out of respect to Blizzard, will follow the NDA attached to the F&F alpha and beta system. No information can be posted in regards to products under this banner unless it has been officially announced by Blizzard, an official Blizzard fansite, or a major media publication or approved by an authorized Blizzard representative.
8.a. Information collected on elements within an officially publicly released item (e.g. datamining officially released files, government patent information, etc.) is not considered a leak.
9. By posting on this website you agree that you have read and understand the above conditions and will abide by them within reason. You also agree that these rules will change with or without notice and that you will abide by such changes the next time you post from their installation.

This thread (Rules, Regulations, and FAQ of SoL also known as R&R) should not be used for conversations outside of matters pertaining to the operation of Scrolls of Lore.
10.a. The R&R thread should not be used to accuse or otherwise call out individuals or groups of users for punishment. Such notifications should be made via PM to an Administrator or Moderator who will then adjudicate the situation.
10.b. The R&R thread should not be used to post pictures, gifs or embedded youtube videos. Posting or quoting of these in this thread will now carry a one-day temporary ban as punishment. Posting of the above will be allowed in the R&R Thread when used as evidence of rule breaking.
Highly Recommended [Moderator/Administrator action will not take place unless abuse occurs.]

Image Control
11.a. Resize pictures so they do not take up excess space on screen (1000+ pixels at original size).

11.b. If posting more than 10 images or 5 images with 800+ pixels, use links instead of hotlinking.
12. We request that total images and text in signatures do not exceed 1.5 inches (300 pixels at original size) in height in order to keep the forum easy to read.

New Posters FAQ

vBulletin's User Options FAQ

Q: I just joined the forum, but every time I post it doesn't appear, why is that?
A: The first three times you ever post, the mods may have to approve them first, particularly if the posts contain a link. This is an anti-spam service so you don't have to deal with sex and wedding dress ads constantly popping up. Once your post count goes above 3 you don't have to worry about it any longer. 99.9% of the time, if it's not spam or illegal, we'll let it through.
Another explanation: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1951

Q: I recently changed my e-mail and I'm no longer able to post, why is this?
A: Our spam prevention system requires that a validated, active e-mail exist in our registry. Make sure you have validated your e-mail with the system and send a message to the Admins/Mods if your problem is not resolved.

Q: What is this forum about?
A: This is a forum dedicated to people who enjoy Warcraft's lore and want to learn or discuss it. This isn't the place for WoW raid strategies, guild recruitment, or advertising other MMO's.

Q: So if this is about Warcraft lore, why do people keep pointing me to Wowhead, Wowpedia, or WoWiki?

A: This is not the place for people inexperienced with the lore. If you just bought a Warcraft game and don't understand any of the story material, it's better to go to a source dedicated to basic facts. It's important to know though, these sites are not the ultimate source for information on Warcraft lore. They are wikis and people can post whatever they wish, so facts posted there have been known to be false (ex. Hakkar the Soulflayer is not a minion of an Old God.)

Q: So if I have a simple question that's not on wowhead/wowpedia where should I post it?
A: The Novice Sanctuary is the best place.

Q: Everyone seems to go off-topic a lot. Does that mean I can talk about anything I want, anywhere I want?

A: Yes and no. We're pretty lenient about threads going off-topic if the discussion has been essentially resolved. That said, keep that kind of conversation to a minimum and don't post off-topic threads in the wrong board.

Q: Who owns Scrolls of Lore's domain name?
A: The great and powerful Warlock, formerly the great and powerful keithjr.

Q: What is an assing and why don't I want one?
A: We (the mods) change your avatar into the picture of a lore character's rear end as punishment for violating a rule.

Contacting SoL

Q: How do I get in contact with SoL for public relations or legal requests?

A: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/sendmessage.php ...or send a private message to Warlock if it's actually important. Otherwise, PM one of the moderators and we'll bring it up to the big man. Outside of this forum, the only person who currently represents the direct name of Scrolls of Lore is Warlock, and as such no moderator or poster has a say in the websites' interaction with other persons or entities.

Q: Sometimes the website goes down, is there anyone I can contact when this occurs?

A: Yes, contact Cantus (cantus87@gmail.com) via e-mail or Skype and I will try to update you on the situation. Why not contact Warlock directly? He's already dealing with the website and there's no reason to flood his inbox with questions he doesn't have time to answer.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

Last edited by Cantus; 06-24-2017 at 04:01 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 03:49 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I would limit it to assing.

No intelligent person keeps posting gold farming shit, and those should be banned asap, like bots. Depends on if he's just telling us about it or he's publicizing himself.

Also, advertising of interesting webs, I mean, you tell the people there's a web that bla bla bla... that shouldn't be banned . I think there's trust between some people around here, and we won't post shit.

For double posting cases, warn via pm the user, and if he doesn't edit his post and delete the doublepost, assing.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-12-2009, 04:09 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Pretty much, yeah. If people lurk before they leap, they'll be pretty familiar with how things run, but even then we're giving people with less than 50-100 posts some leeway since it's not always obvious how far the boundaries can be pushed.

This is just the go to list so that people can't cry foul if they get an assing and don't understand why. Warnings, suspensions, and bans are relegated to pure dumbshits who don't realize that this isn't a forum dedicated to spamming their favorite band or blog ad infinitum.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:10 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Rules? On SoL? INCONCEIVABLE!

So, say, I have an idea about writing something, and I start a thread asking people of something I want to put in there, like a poll about some specific element. Would I get punished/assed/whatever for advertising for that?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Only if it got spammed over multiple threads and worthlessly advertised across the forum. The General forum was made for personal interest stuff, but the main point of rule 3 is to keep the excess out.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:30 AM

Elune

While SoL doesn't become a tyranny, everything is ok.

If you start punishing people just because you don't like what they post, then we'll have a serious problem.

Also, I wonder why there's no rule against troll-criticizing and blaming just because others' ideas are lame. I'm not referring to harsh critics, just to things like "Roblore your idea is dumb", "That is stupid, like Roblore", "this shitty idea seems to have been created by Roblore"...

I'm fed up of reading that shit around everywhere. It's like with the TV, when people start laming because they don't like what it shows. If you don't like it, don't turn it on. If you don't like someone's posts, don't read them, and quit adding shit to the thread with your trolling.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Outside of these rules, it's free speech, which means that even if it's outright cruel and horrific it's still allowed so long as no one's harmed IRL. Rob and anyone else can post whatever they like, and so long as it's not illegal (or at least Warlock ok's it anyway) I won't stop it from being posted.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Elune

So we ban linking sites and stuff like that, but we don't ban complete reasonless derailments focused on blaming each other.

Ironic .

I'd rather apply "don't like: don't read" and "personal: pm" laws.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:01 AM

Elune

Honestly i finally believed we could have some rules againts insulting, racism and whatnot retardations and then i find seeing bullshit rules? C'mon Cantus you can do better then this.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Seem reasonable enough. I'm with Cantus.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

It's not a ban on hyperlinks (text style links) but it is a note that people shouldn't dump large numbers of direct images, videos, and .gif files onto the board (that's hot linking) without the need to. You can still post a few random interesting image if you want, but 10-20 in a row that has nothing to do with WoW isn't looked nicely on.

So, for instance, if you've just explored a new area in WoW and found something interesting, it's fine if you post the pictures to a thread. If however you post a dozen or more pictures of facepalming that's just excessive and worthless to the discussion.

Edit:

Drz, what makes these boards fun is the fact that the mods are not supposed to stop you from speaking your mind. The minute we start controlling what people say is the minute SoL goes down hill.

That said, there are community controls that prevent people from abusing others (or at least for the most part anyway.) In other words, if someone's screaming about how some race or religion IRL must die the community usually bands together to push that person out by showing they're not welcome.

Last edited by Cantus; 07-12-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 AM

Eternal

Quote:
It's not a ban on hyperlinks (text style links) but it is a note that people shouldn't dump large numbers of direct images, videos, and .gif files onto the board (that's hot linking) without the need to. You can still post a few random interesting image if you want, but 10-20 in a row that has nothing to do with WoW isn't looked nicely on.
A good way to prevent that without actually prohibiting hotlinking would be adding a spoiler tag to the forum, i always thought that would be pretty useful feature in this forum considering that threads constantly pop up that usually deal with spoilers like the comic, mangas and novels.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 07-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Elune

Are we allowed to post pornographic stuff? I mean there are load sof hilarious (well hilarious for me atleast) pictures that sadly are extremely pornographic, like visible body parts and so forth. Just wondering, i will ofcourse post them on URL and add NSFW instead of IMG tag even tho i have a loving memory of the "Real Wrath of the Lich King" picture i posted and some people laughed and others freaked out. ^^;
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Are we allowed to post pornographic stuff? I mean there are load sof hilarious (well hilarious for me atleast) pictures that sadly are extremely pornographic, like visible body parts and so forth. Just wondering, i will ofcourse post them on URL and add NSFW instead of IMG tag even tho i have a loving memory of the "Real Wrath of the Lich King" picture i posted and some people laughed and others freaked out. ^^;
Yeah I have a picture of Minmei's head being blown up that I wanna add to my sig.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul

Last edited by xie323; 07-16-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

...no exploding heads in your sig please. *Saying this as a forum member, not a moderator*

Cantus, I think it goes without saying that outright bigotry (racism, sexism, homophobia), personal threats, and personal flaming are not allowed.

And the only reason I'm saying this is because it's never really been an issue for the most part. We're small enough that nobody pulls that kind of crap.

As for pornography. I agree. Keep it in a link, and add a NSFW tag. I think if anything, the naked Lich King picture proves that, that was fairly controversial.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post

As for pornography. I agree. Keep it in a link, and add a NSFW tag. I think if anything, the naked Lich King picture proves that, that was fairly controversial.
Thank you Aldrius! When trouble comes for you i shall be there! You have my sword, my bow (NSFW) AND MY AXE!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Eternal

^

I laughed so fucking much the first time i saw the picture.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

I don't know if I can actually fathom what I just saw. I don't even know if I saw it or it was a horrific nightmare. Damn Drz, where do you find these things? Wait, never mind, don't tell me, I have no urge to know.

And yeah Ald, overt racism, sexism, etc. won't be tolerated in excess. I can understand if you're joking around or happen to state your opinion a few times spread out over several months/years, but prosletizing anything violent or oppressive will be given very little leeway.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 PM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
And yeah Ald, overt racism, sexism, etc. won't be tolerated in excess. I can understand if you're joking around or happen to state your opinion a few times spread out over several months/years, but prosletizing anything violent or oppressive will be given very little leeway.
Not even a little?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:12 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garithos View Post
Not even a little?
Oh Garithos. We could never say no to you. Even though you're breaking like 4 out of the 5 rules.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 AM

Huntress

wait a minute, hakkar isnt a minion of an old god!?!?!???!!??!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrande View Post
wait a minute, hakkar isnt a minion of an old god!?!?!???!!??!
No, he isn't. He's just a powerful and evil Loa.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Cantus, what's this about banning RobLore for 3 days? I thought it was your idea in the first place to consult other moderators before taking such actions.

I see no doubleposts which we warned him about. You not enjoying reading his crappy ideas is not an excuse.

If it were, I'd have banned Drz for his taunting me to this day ages ago. Now that's a better reason. Yet there are no rules about him giving me a hard time, so I let him be.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Cantus, what's this about banning RobLore for 3 days? I thought it was your idea in the first place to consult other moderators before taking such actions.

I see no doubleposts which we warned him about. You not enjoying reading his crappy ideas is not an excuse.

If it were, I'd have banned Drz for his taunting me to this day ages ago. Now that's a better reason. Yet there are no rules about him giving me a hard time, so I let him be.
Cuz Minmei er I mean Roblore trolled his info to people who dont want to hear him. Therefore he gets 3 days. When he comes back we'll ban him for good!!!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...~Thomas Jefferson

So instead of seeing this as a continuation of an era of the 20th century that gave us so much debt and destruction and undermined our liberties and conditions today that are so dangerous, let us think that we are now moving into a new era, a new era where we are going to concentrate on liberty and freedom and property rights and peace. I believe that is the cause that we should lead and I thank you very much for being part of it.~Ron Paul
Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xie323 View Post
Cuz Minmei er I mean Roblore trolled his info to people who dont want to hear him. Therefore he gets 3 days. When he comes back we'll ban him for good!!!
That's not a bannable offense.

You don't want to hear him, use the ignore button. I'm with Tim on this one 110%.

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, scrolls of lore, serious business, tag police