Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default RP Backstory Questions

The thread to ask questions about the lore for you character, show off a back story, or anything that might need a good answer in an RP context.

The Mad Admin
Old 08-19-2009, 06:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Good thread idea. I actually have a question, so I'll get us started.

How do you justify using the super OP heirloom gear without saying "this was my father's/mother's *insert item type here* and he/she left it to me when he/she died and stuff" or making your character have a very Mary-Sue backstory?

I ask this because I'm currently rolling a draenei warrior with all the gear and my explanation is that he claimed the axe from the first demon (a felguard) that he killed by himself, and he discovered the armor (shoulders/chest) in tomb that was disturbed by the Exodar's crash. They've been "enchanted" to increase in power as he gains experience. At 60, he'll have a second Bloodied Arcanite Reaper ready for him. Just want suggestions on how to make it interesting yet not use the obvious, over-done explanations.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:16 AM

Elune

Thumbs up

Well i don't think gear always needs a justification but sure your ideas seem fair enough, i mean just because they last gameplay wise to max level, doesn't mean they need to OP as hell in the lore. ^^ I mean some people like their Trolls with minimal armor and tribal stuff but they don't roleplay as low statted noobs.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

This goes under "World of Warcraft discussion", as far as I'm concerned.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:32 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Someone pm'ed me a question on where to ask about RP stuff, and since this is the only forum that really deals with RP and fan fics, I figured it belonged here more than in a speculative/update forum like the WoW Discussion one.

Really I just see RPing as a form of group fan fic, so why not have an area to develop and solidify the characters here.

The Mad Admin
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM

Treant

If my character is twenty-one by the time the events of WoTLK rolls by (So thirty years after WC1, I THINK) it would be logical to be born in Westfall? Or would he have had to been born in Loraedon because of the displacement orc's caused during the First War?

EDIT:My character is a human, of course.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Don't think of it just for World of Warcraft roleplaying. It could work for anything too.
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 08-20-2009, 04:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zula View Post
Don't think of it just for World of Warcraft roleplaying. It could work for anything too.
Okay then.

In the first D&D group I participated in, my character got a Charisma value of 6 or 7, so I explained that by saying that he was deformed. I planned his backstory around that by saying that the religious authorities in his hometown had thought his mother was having sex with demons and burned her at stake. The priest responsible for the execution was to be a personal nemesis of mine, a Lawful Good cleric as a villain.

Do you guys think the cleric's alignment should have changed from Lawful Good to something else when he burned the mother at stake, even if he didn't know any better?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 AM

Warden

Oman...

I dunno if I should post up my characters back stories or not. My first RP character was made....noobishly. I had no clue about the lore when I started.

I have retconned him so much and now he is retired. But I played him for nearly 3 years...
Old 08-20-2009, 07:07 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Short and simple history of Avion.

Born in GLORIOUS AZEROTH. Family migrated north. Wars happen. Avion enlisted at 14(HE WAS BIG FOR HIS AGE!) Nearly dies during Strat. War ends, his age gets him kicked out of the army so he doesn't go to draenor. He formally joins up in the army years later. Nothing of note until his unit follows old Jaina across the sea. He survives the third war yadda yadda, doesn't know about what happened to the Northern kingdoms though. So he goes to Stormwind, finds out and goes back to Lordaeron. While walking through sorrow hill he's ambushed by Scourage. There are too many to fight, only Anya ARRIVING JUST IN TIME!!!!!!!! Saves him. She used light, he saw how effective it was, he becomes Paladin down south. When he returns to the Plaugelands, he retrieves his family sword the Skyblade from his family's old house. Much hilarity ensues about killing them undead. He eventually meets Kirius in the ruined Scarlet town way after that.

I still have no idea how to sort out being Nat Pagle's identical twin though.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 AM

Warden

Okay....I am doing it.

Remember what I said though, I was new to lore, new to RP in Warcraft terms and an all around noob. My orc's name is Broxigan Lok'rosh. And yes, I know. Broxigar? I had just read War of the Ancients before hopping over to RP and he was by far my favorite character. So, anyway. The story helps it sort of make some sort of sense. Also, there is time discrepancies I had been tweaking with the ever changing timeline.

Quote:
Broxigan was one of the few orcs who was not corrupted by the blood of Mannoroth back on Draenor; before the Burning Legion corrupted his kind and turned it into the wasteland, known as Outland, that it is today, thanks to his bloodline and parents.

Broxigan's father and mother were among the few who joined in with Durotan's Frostwolf clan in refusing the drink the fel-tainted blood that turned majority of the orcs into blood thirsty beasts of war. With this blessing, Brox seemed to be a bit different than most of the orcs. Some what more calm, level-headed, intelligent and well spoken; though his natural, primitive instincts surface from time to time.

The orc's clan were originally part of the Thunderlord Clan, a group of orcs that lived high in the jagged peaks of Blade's Edge. But when the clans were called together, the name lost all meaning. All fit orcs were to march through the Dark Portal that had been created on the dying peninsula to the east. His mother and his father were amongst those who gathered and prepared for War and a way off this dying world with promises of abundant life.

Unfortunately, the orcs only found opposition, death, gloom and war beyond the stone archway. Through the Marshes of the Black Morass to the forests of Elwynn, both of the orc's parents marched, fighting any humans that stood in their way, hoping to find a place to call their own.

And soon enough, it appeared as though they had.

The human capital of Stormwind fell to the might of the Horde and the first victory in the new world had been claimed.

It was here that Broxigan was born, given the name of a friend to his parents and their Commander, Broxigan the Red Axe. An orc that many looked to for guidance in battle, a true inspiration for both of his parents.

No more than a few months later, the orcs pushed northward and before too long, the tides of war took both his mother and father away from him in a type of glory only an orc would respect.

One orc took the small child as well as a few others and fled the battlefields, fidning refuge in the mountains, away from the blood, the thunder, the death. Her name was Battlewail, the future Matron of the Orgrimmar Orphanage.

Years passed and the Frostwolves found refuge in the snow capped mountains of the Alterac, away from the Second War, away from the camps. Here, Broxigan was raised amongst other orcs by Battlewail, training, learning of their past, preparing to protect themselves from any who may find them.

The only one Broxigan could recall finding them was the blue eyed Orc named Thrall, soon to be Warchief. A shaman. A warrior. Someone who had been living amongst the humans.

Something hit the young orc, Broxigan, deep in the chest.
be gentle.

Last edited by Hidden; 08-20-2009 at 07:53 AM..
Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Okay then.

In the first D&D group I participated in, my character got a Charisma value of 6 or 7, so I explained that by saying that he was deformed. I planned his backstory around that by saying that the religious authorities in his hometown had thought his mother was having sex with demons and burned her at stake. The priest responsible for the execution was to be a personal nemesis of mine, a Lawful Good cleric as a villain.

Do you guys think the cleric's alignment should have changed from Lawful Good to something else when he burned the mother at stake, even if he didn't know any better?
since otherwise the troll would starve

The cleric clearly should have burned you character too and yes he would be lawful good since he has no doubt that he is doing good since the societhy he lives in percieves in the majority that such action is what makes a holy man

Quote:
I wonder if he was right when he said a thousand years from now we will be the gods everyone remembers
Old 08-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
since otherwise the troll would starve

The cleric clearly should have burned you character too and yes he would be lawful good since he has no doubt that he is doing good since the societhy he lives in percieves in the majority that such action is what makes a holy man
Yeah, but accourding to the rules of alignment, it is affected by your actions, not what you mean by them. For example, the orcs in Warhammer would count as Chaotic Evil because they kill tons of people even though they don't mean anything by it. So, would this mean that ignorance is not an ethical defence?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM

Eternal

It worked in the dark ages sure why not

Quote:
I wonder if he was right when he said a thousand years from now we will be the gods everyone remembers
Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamma View Post
If my character is twenty-one by the time the events of WoTLK rolls by (So thirty years after WC1, I THINK) it would be logical to be born in Westfall? Or would he have had to been born in Loraedon because of the displacement orc's caused during the First War?

EDIT:My character is a human, of course.
WotLK is 27 years after WC1. The Horde was defeated around 7 years after WC1 (guessing that there's some gap between the end of WC2 and the beginning of WC2x, six months or so). By WC2x, reconstruction of Stormwind City had begun and it was a large, but rudimentary, camp.

So no, most likely your character is not old enough to have been born in Westfall. Your character was probably born in Lordaeron, or perhaps as one of the first humans born in the new Stormwind City. Westfall, though, I'm guessing wasn't resettled for at least a little while after SW.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
The Horde was defeated around 7 years after WC1
Not accourding to newer lore: Now we have a three-months-long Second War with the Horde being one whole army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
By WC2x, reconstruction of Stormwind City had begun and it was a large, but rudimentary, camp.
In Beyond the Dark Portal, Stormwind is a city already by the time the book begins, with a completed cathedral.

---

Have I ever mentioned I hate the timeline changes?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Elune

Blech.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:35 PM

Treant

So just to be safe, should I just say that my character was born in a little house in near Stormwind? He's supposed to have been born to peasants.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Elune

Thinking my warrior should start to migrate away from the naaru (he's young, he's seen very little of their power, hasn't experienced the terror of the Legion) and start following the Titans. I am thinking he'd latch on to Golganneth; a warrior with a good sense of humor that would rather not destroy things, but will do so with a smile. It seems to fit him pretty well.

How would one begin to follow this path?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:12 PM

Elune

Dwarfs.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Dwarfs.
They prefer the term "little people".

But yeah, I was thinking that. He's a scribe, so he has a grasp on glyphs and runes. So the dwarves introducing him to titan lore seems to be the way to go. This will fit in come Cataclysm when they add Archaeology and everything.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Elune

Why not add your Ulduar raids? Say you were one of the willing hired merceneries for Brann Bronzeberd's army and then your Warrior met this fascinating lad/gal who thaught everything he knew about the Titans and that made your warrior all fascinated about it and so on.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Why not add your Ulduar raids? Say you were one of the willing hired merceneries for Brann Bronzeberd's army and then your Warrior met this fascinating lad/gal who thaught everything he knew about the Titans and that made your warrior all fascinated about it and so on.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Ulduar is like my favorite raid ever. I con't belive I over looked it.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 AM

Elune

Maybe you were just too loothorny for the place to think of the lore!!!!!!! >: (
Old 08-29-2009, 05:50 AM

Elune

Quote:
Maybe you were just too loothorny for the place to think of the lore!!!!!!! >: (
On this warrior, yeah. On my mage, I fucking ate it up.

Tags
arpee, query