Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
Sounds like a good start. Have you thought about why Draxar started as a scribe instead of a more traditional profession for an orc, though? It occurred to me that perhaps your mage used to be a warrior but was seriously injured in a battle where magic was heavily used. While recovering he became a scribe to remain useful and began to believe that while being a warrior is good and fine it's not particularly helpful when your opponent can rain down storms of fire and ice. Fel magic disgusted him, but when he came across those arcane tomes and started to understand the differences between fel and arcane magic he decided to give the latter a try and discovered he had a talent for it. Him being a warrior who was seriously injured before Cataclysm and is now retraining in his weakened physical state to become a mage would also explain why he's starting in the low-level zones while allowing him to have played roles in pre-Cataclysm events.
I'm thinking that instead of getting injured really badly, he just sucked at fighting. Then he got knocked back to working as a peon building stuff, but talked too much and so they put him on like...pig-herding or something. At some point, he finds some old human text left over from a Horde raid on a human settlement (maybe in the coffers of Orgrimmar) and, ever the curious orcish outcast, he tries his hand at writing down some of the words. They turn out to be arcane runes that infuse him with knowledge. I don't mean making him superintelligent or anything, but definitely more so than the average orc. He can now read the runes and begins his personal study of magic. Maybe he goes to Orgrimmar and sets up shop as a scribe, since he can now read and write (likely a rare-ish skill in orcish society?).

I dunno. I like the idea of him being a fringe mage, but having him training in Dalaran keeps me from having to explain why he wasn't in Northrend during the war against the Lich King.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I'm thinking that instead of getting injured really badly, he just sucked at fighting. Then he got knocked back to working as a peon building stuff, but talked too much and so they put him on like...pig-herding or something. At some point, he finds some old human text left over from a Horde raid on a human settlement (maybe in the coffers of Orgrimmar) and, ever the curious orcish outcast, he tries his hand at writing down some of the words. They turn out to be arcane runes that infuse him with knowledge. I don't mean making him superintelligent or anything, but definitely more so than the average orc. He can now read the runes and begins his personal study of magic. Maybe he goes to Orgrimmar and sets up shop as a scribe, since he can now read and write (likely a rare-ish skill in orcish society?).

I dunno. I like the idea of him being a fringe mage, but having him training in Dalaran keeps me from having to explain why he wasn't in Northrend during the war against the Lich King.
Training at Dalaran could be a story in itself, though considering that Dalaran was in Northrend during the war against the Lich King I'm not sure how well that actually removes him from the conflict. If he's a talented scribe, you could have him spend the war doing unexciting but important paperwork to keep the war effort running as smoothly as possible (somebody has to keep track of logistics) while studying the arcane in his spare time and, in Cataclysmm, having finally reached a level of arcane mastery that he feels comfortable becoming an independent adventurer.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Training at Dalaran could be a story in itself, though considering that Dalaran was in Northrend during the war against the Lich King I'm not sure how well that actually removes him from the conflict. If he's a talented scribe, you could have him spend the war doing unexciting but important paperwork to keep the war effort running as smoothly as possible (somebody has to keep track of logistics) while studying the arcane in his spare time and, in Cataclysmm, having finally reached a level of arcane mastery that he feels comfortable becoming an independent adventurer.

Mkay, here's my bare-bones outline.

Name: Draxar Flamefist

Race: Orc

Class: Mage

Draxar was born to Orosh Deathfist, a warlock, and Gormal, a shaman, while the two were being held captive in one of the internment camps. Shortly after he turned seven, the camps were freed. Draxar's family followed Thrall and the new Horde into the mountains of Lordaeron to begin their new lives.

His father taught him the read and write in orcish, Common, eredun, and in the magical rune language used in the arcane arts, in hopes that Draxar would follow in his footsteps. Draxar's mother, however, was certain that the spirits would speak to her son and he would follow the path of a shaman. This led to some interesting and quite frighteningly intense confrontations between the two. These persisted from the time the orcs settled in Lordaeron, all the way until they followed Thrall across the sea to Kalimdor.

By the time Draxar had turned twelve, the age at which an orc male is considered an adult, he had yet to display any real talents outside of his ability to copy letters and runes onto whatever medium he needed to use. He did not trust his father's dark magics, and the spirits hadn't so much as tapped at his subconscious. Holding an axe in his hands was awkward for young Draxar, who was more accustomed to wielding a pen or quill. He attempted to aid the Horde as a craftsman, but he proved much more valuable writing down measurements and orders for the foremen. Finally accepting that his son's heart lied with words and symbols, Orosh arranged for Draxar to go to Orgrimmar and train as an apprentice scribe.

Draxar's master was a troll named Jo'mah. Jo'mah was a scribe by trade, but he was also a mage. Draxar studied his craft alongside his master, and watched as Jo'mah would wield his arcane powers around the shop. These abilities intrigued him greatly, and Jo'mah took note of Draxar's interest. He decided that even though there had never, to his knowledge, been an orc mage, he would take young Draxar as his apprentice. He did not anticipate the orc's bullheadedness. It took several years for Draxar to master some of the most basic of spells, but Jo'mah stayed with it. Eventually, Jo'mah broke through to Draxar, and his young apprentice soon blossomed into a true mage at the age of fifteen.

Soon after, the Lich King attacked Orgrimmar, causing most able-bodied orcs to be called into action. While few were aware of Draxar's proficiency with the arcane, he had made a name for himself as a scribe. He was ordered to report to Dalaran, now relocated to Crystalsong Forrest in Northrend, to act as one of Orgrimmar's official correspondents, and was required to transcribe and send most communication between the Horde's leaders and Dalaran's officials.

While there, Draxar used his free time to pursue his other passion: magic. After purloining a few manuals and scrolls, Draxar discovered he had a natural affinity for the school of fire magic, and longed to prove himself in combat against the Scourge. However, most of his days were spent in session with the various Horde leaders, taking notes and preparing official documents to be sent among them.

The war, like all wars must, ended without Draxar seeing one day of action (he even missed the blue dragonflight's attack on Dalarn due to illness). He packed his bags and stepped through the portal to Orgrimmar. He would have opened his own, but hadn't quite had a successful test. His heart went out to all the squirrels and rabbits that had to die so he could practice his art.

His time off was shortlived, however. Deathwing's Cataclysm shattered the world, and Draxar saw this as his chance to step up and show the world that an orc was a dangerous foe, whether he wielded an axe, the power of the elements, or the dark magics of Twisting Nether. Or the "weaker" powers of the arcane. Draxar would make his name known the world around and earn the respect his powers deserved...or would deserve, just as soon as he could figure out the proper invocation for that one spell...

Last edited by Exxile87; 08-11-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Arch-Druid

I like it, and the additions of his parents adds a compelling element to the backstory because it gives Draxar two people very close to him to prove himself to. I imagine both his warlock father and shaman mother would initially think their son crazy for pursuing the path of a mage, but by the end of Cataclysm with a number of great accomplishments under his belt Draxar may very well earn their respect and the accolades of the Horde, particularly reinforced if the player is treated as a hero by NPCs in the later zones as was sort of the case in Wrath.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
I like it, and the additions of his parents adds a compelling element to the backstory because it gives Draxar two people very close to him to prove himself to. I imagine both his warlock father and shaman mother would initially think their son crazy for pursuing the path of a mage, but by the end of Cataclysm with a number of great accomplishments under his belt Draxar may very well earn their respect and the accolades of the Horde, particularly reinforced if the player is treated as a hero by NPCs in the later zones as was sort of the case in Wrath.
I'm actually condsidering having his father be the accepting one, due to a grudging respect for the human mages he fought in the Second War, and the ones he'd worked with in the Horde. I don't want his dad to be the typical warlock and be all about personal power; he made the decision to take up the dark arts for a very noble reason and I'd like him to be more like Snape than Lucius Malfoy, if I could use that example.

Draxar's mother, on the other hand, is going to have some issues of her own with her mate and child (because at the time Cataclysm begins, Draxar is only 17 and I plan on playing him as a bit childish and arrogant) being "unworthy" of the power of the Elements. I'd like her to turn traitor to the Horde and join up with the Twilight's Hammer, but that may stifle Draxar's rise in the Horde.

Also, Draxar is going to be a full on supporter of Garrosh; I plan on having him be the one that was tasked with writing Orgrimmar with news of Garrosh's victories in Northrend. I know this may be a bit close to Knaak territory, but come on. I'm not making him a superpowerful mage; he's just got fantastic penmanship and is extremely eloquent. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, it seems just like the thing Garrosh would do; pay the best scribe to record his successes and paint him in an even better light.

Those are my current plans. I'm really getting into this mage's story. Probably more so than I have my current mage on live. I'm going to be faction changing Eraatu, so I guess I need to come up with a suitable death for the 30,000-year-old draenei elder. To be honest, that thought makes me tear up a bit...
Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
I'm going to be faction changing Eraatu, so I guess I need to come up with a suitable death for the 30,000-year-old draenei elder. To be honest, that thought makes me tear up a bit...
Infections thorn caught in his hoof! Ho ho.

Could always just say he died in one of the massive environmental catastrophes brought on by the Cataclysm. Even give him a heroic passing if he sacrificed himself to save others from the same catastrophe or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Default Kyram, Worgen ????

Right, so with me getting in the beta and testing Worgen, I feel it is time t think about (what will be, my main toon) a Worgen....and I get stuck at the class. Why? Well, backstory wise, I want a compelling character, but I get stuck up on to many idea.

What I do knoa about him, is he is from noble descent, and many of his family members died in the Second War (dislikes Orcs) He's pretty youngish. Personality-wise. he will be intelligent (probably witty, since I am) and has a spirit to explore. He's sometimes cocky.

My two picks are... Druids, getting afflicted with Worgenism, and the revelations of the Drudis of the Scythe jives well with the character (but I hate Moonkin form, and while the forms look cool, I don't know if I want to spend my time as a bear/cat, yet Healing doesn't sound like his thing.)

Rogue - Sounds almost natural, but it just doesn't sound like it has the impact I'm looking for.

So, any thoughts?

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 08-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Problemsolver

'sup? I've just written the RP-story of my tauren druid, whom I have played since the launch of WoW. I would love some feedback, and I need to know if all of it is correct accordings to the lore and such.

Quote:
I remember the troublesome days of my youth. The never-ending wandering in search of safer lands to live in. I was trained a warrior from birth. The giant totem became as much a part of my body as my arms.
I learned to fight, to kill and survive. I never paid much thought to nature and the spirits back then. Why would I? I was no shaman. I didn't seek knowledge. I sought blood from my enemies.

For years I fought against the centaur. I can still feel the hatred within me when I think back at those days.

When it seemed there was no hope left, the orcs came. They aided us. Gave us a home; Mulgore. But I didn't stay behind to build the city of Thunder Bluff. I followed the orcs and their new Horde into war. I fought the Legion, and thanks to the elves, I found the ways of druidism.

My name is Danzig Runetotem, and I am a tauren druid.

When the battle of Mount Hyjal was over, I was amazed by the druids, and their strong bond to nature. I followed Hamuul, a distant relative of mine, when he learned the ways of druidism. I joined the Cenarion Circle, and trained among the elves. I learned quickly, and I found the feral lion within me.

After years of training I was ready to be stationed in the world to lend a helping hand in battle. My first assignment was to travel to Silithus and fight the qiraji. Back then they weren't that big of a threat. C'thun hadn't been awoken yet.
I didn't see much combat the first couple of months, but then all hell broke loose. The qiraji swarmed our outpost in the middle of nowhere, and we had to fight for our lives.
The war against the bugs escalated quickly, and soon enough me and my fellow druids had to retreat to Cenarion Hold. I was badly wounded, and had to be brought back to Moonglade.

I had to lie still in a bed for weeks, while my friends fought 'till death in the southern deserts. Then I heard news that they had defeated C'thun, and pushed back the remaining qiraji. I was no longer needed in Silithus.

When I had recovered from my wounds I was stationed in the Eastern Plaguelands to help the Argent Dawn.

The first weeks in the Plaguelands was horrifying. The stench of death was always reminding me of how dire the situation was. I was one of few druids who was placed in the Plaguelands, so instead of befriending with other druids, I became good friends with alot of the paladins in the Argent Dawn. I became especially good friends with one human, of female gender.

Then came Naxxramas; the bane of my life. I fought inside the flying citadel. I lost too many good friends. I even lost the love of my life.
I felt guilt for those who died, and the guilt was too much for me to handle. One day, when I was recovering from battle inside the Light's Hope Chapel, I fled. I just got up and ran away. As far away as I could.

This is where my life in exile began. I became a lone wanderer. I first traveled through the Plaguelands, then I took a zeppelin to Durotar. Once there I wandered out into the barren nothingness. I had to get as far away from anyone as I could. To camouflage myself from the surrounding world I entered my feral lion form.
I left the tauren inside of me behind. In my mind he had been left inside the Chapel in the Plaguelands. That was not me anymore.

I befriended with the lions of the Barrens, and they became my new family. I lived with them, I ate with them... I hunted with them.
I lost all track of who I once was. It was too horrible to remember. Too horrible to hang on to.
To be honest I don't remember very much of my life in exile. It was as if I succumbed into darkness, and stayed there for two years.

Then one day I felt a disturbance in nature. Something was horribly wrong. It was as if I woke up from a dream. Not necessarily a bad dream, just a dream.
I prowled towards the Crossroads, and what I saw I will never forget; zombies invaded the encampment. I charged and attacked the living dead. I joined the survivors as they fought. Then I turned back to my tauren form. After two years as a lion it felt strange to only walk on two legs. My hands felt strange... My entire body felt strange.

I traveled to Moonglade to speak with my former allies, and surpricingly enough they were glad to see me. Or more accurate; they were glad to see anyone join the fight against the zombies.
They told me that the Lich King had risen once again, and attacked all major cities around the world, inflicting his necromantic spells upon all races.

That's when it all came back to me. The battles in Naxxramas... and my friends who had died.

For the first time in many years I felt a true taste for blood. I needed revenge.

I joined the ranks of the Horde, and traveled with their army to Northrend. I killed countless of scourge fiends... and most important; I got my revenge on the inhabitants of Naxxramas.

When Naxxramas had fallen I went to Icecrown to help the Argent Crusade build their tournament-grounds, and I helped them fight the Cult of the Damned.
I never fought in the arena. I never sought to kill Arthas. I had seen enough blood in Naxxramas.

Now I travel around a lot, and I try to help those who are in need of help.

Only time will tell when the story of my life will end... I just hope it won't come too soon.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:05 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post
My two picks are... Druids, getting afflicted with Worgenism, and the revelations of the Drudis of the Scythe jives well with the character (but I hate Moonkin form, and while the forms look cool, I don't know if I want to spend my time as a bear/cat, yet Healing doesn't sound like his thing.)

Rogue - Sounds almost natural, but it just doesn't sound like it has the impact I'm looking for.

So, any thoughts?
If you're looking for something with more "impact," what about a warrior? That fits your character's noble background and wartime history, and warriors by their very nature tend to stand out and be more prominent than rogues. You could very easily roleplay as a frontline soldier who unleashes his inner beast against his enemies on the battlefield.

Or if your choices are entirely between druid and rogue, you could develop your build entirely around DPS. With the dungeon finder "pre-assigning" roles it's arguably more acceptable now for a hybrid class like a druid or a shaman to focus almost entirely on damage (and only assist healing if the main healer needs the help), and while I haven't played a WoW rogue I'm sure there are ways to emphasize power over stealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
'sup? I've just written the RP-story of my tauren druid, whom I have played since the launch of WoW. I would love some feedback, and I need to know if all of it is correct accordings to the lore and such.
Other than the assumption that 2 years passed between Naxxramas and the Wrath pre-launch event, your RP backstory seems to match the game's lore. And the 2 year figure could be right - I'm not certain myself and had previously thought that a single year generally passed between expansions, but apparently Cataclysm has cast doubt on that.

Anyway, it's a good backstory too, and I like the understated role your character plays. With so many people (myself included at times) trying to fit their characters into key roles of WoW's progression, it's nice to see someone who's willing to have their character present in and around important events but not necessarily as the ultimate hero who triumphs over evil and saves the day. It makes your character seem more plausible.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
If you're looking for something with more "impact," what about a warrior? That fits your character's noble background and wartime history, and warriors by their very nature tend to stand out and be more prominent than rogues. You could very easily roleplay as a frontline soldier who unleashes his inner beast against his enemies on the battlefield.

Or if your choices are entirely between druid and rogue, you could develop your build entirely around DPS. With the dungeon finder "pre-assigning" roles it's arguably more acceptable now for a hybrid class like a druid or a shaman to focus almost entirely on damage (and only assist healing if the main healer needs the help), and while I haven't played a WoW rogue I'm sure there are ways to emphasize power over stealth.

Yes, yes. Good point. It was coming down to rogue or Druid because I was already going to make a warrior. But now that I fell in love with Night elf mages, I might only make one Worgen, and race change my priest.

Which now leaves me at.... Warrior or Druid? =/

Really, it boils down to, do I want to still keep to the human side, or embrace the beast, and the Night elf side. Hard choice.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Other than the assumption that 2 years passed between Naxxramas and the Wrath pre-launch event, your RP backstory seems to match the game's lore. And the 2 year figure could be right - I'm not certain myself and had previously thought that a single year generally passed between expansions, but apparently Cataclysm has cast doubt on that.

Anyway, it's a good backstory too, and I like the understated role your character plays. With so many people (myself included at times) trying to fit their characters into key roles of WoW's progression, it's nice to see someone who's willing to have their character present in and around important events but not necessarily as the ultimate hero who triumphs over evil and saves the day. It makes your character seem more plausible.
Timelines are always a problem, but I'd like to believe the campaign in Outland lasted longer than a year, really. Who can conquer an entire planet in a year? It's blasphemy!

I try to keep my character as just another grunt, or in this case some kind of druid infantry/special force. Making your character too significant is boring, because there are too many people doing that.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 AM

Elune

In the Beta thread, I mentioned my upcoming shaman's methods being similar to the taunka's. I've yet to decide what race I'm going for. The obvious choice would be tauren, as they are closer to the taunka than the other Horde races. I'm considering draenei, however, as I think it would be interesting to see how I could interact with other Alliance shaman after adopting the methods of what amounts to a heretical Horde race.

If I do a tauren, he's going to be young and impressionable. I may have him being born just a few years prior to the establishment of Thunder Bluff. He won't remember living as a nomad, he won't have the experiences with the Elements that the older tauren have had, and he'll be growing into both his role as a shaman and his adulthood in a world ravaged by Deathwing's Cataclysm. He'll see the taunka's methods as more reliable than the older, more traditional ways of shamanism and adapt them.

If I decide on draenei, I'll be taking my old warrior's name (I got hacked, Blizzard returned all my other characters' gear but my warrior's so I deleted him...) and giving it to my shaman. Basically, after the war with the Lich King, Koonu will have seen so much death and dealt with spirits enough that he begins to hear the voices of the departed. He goes to Farseer Nobundo and it is revealed that he has been contacted by the Spirits and chosen to walk the path of a shaman. Then the Cataclysm rocks the world, and his tenuous bond is severely damaged. He recalls the savage taunka shaman he had encountered and takes a play from their book, and begins forcing the cooperation from the lesser elemental spirits. His history as a warrior lends itself to this more brutal form of shamanism.

I like both scenarios pretty well, might be leaning more towards the tauren. What do you guys think?
Old 09-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Elune

The "problem" in your Draenei is the whole "spirits have chosen you" you get this "destined hero" thing going on, but if you for example choose Nobundo simply being kind and making your Warrior into a shaman you get the "awesome lore character pimping your own" thing going on.

Your Tauren Shaman idea is pretty awesome tho.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
The "problem" in your Draenei is the whole "spirits have chosen you" you get this "destined hero" thing going on, but if you for example choose Nobundo simply being kind and making your Warrior into a shaman you get the "awesome lore character pimping your own" thing going on.

Your Tauren Shaman idea is pretty awesome tho.
The thing about draenei though, is that there are so few of them left that you really can interact with the bigger lore characters and it doesn't count against you. Like my mage, who is one of the original survivors of Argus and counts Velen among his closest friends. In a younger, more populous race, this is a no-no, but for a draenei its okay.

But yeah, the idea of a controversial, badass tauren youngling making the elements bow to him in the time of chaos following Deathwing's cataclysm is really appealing to me.

Last edited by Exxile87; 09-23-2010 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Guru of Gilneas

I am working on an worgen character for an RP server. It's a quite a bit, since I not only wrote the backstory of the character, but I also ended up writing ones for his family members, two noble houses, and a legendary figure from which his noble house claims descent. The timeline is iffy, since the order of events in the Gilneas timeline remain uncertain. I will likely have to post this in multiple posts, so bear with me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feryl Grimbard
Character Name: Feryl
Race: Worgen
Nationality: Gilnean
Class: Druid

Part I: The Lineage of Erryl Grimbard
Quote:
House Grimbard of Gilneas
Coat of Arms: An emerald dragon harp on a field of black.
House Motto: “Our deeds are remembered.”
Ancestral Estates: Grimbard Manor (Keel Harbor)
Ancestral Heirlooms: Fang, spear. Dreamweaver, dragon-bone harp.
The Grimbards claim to possess an ancient lineage extending to the times before Thoradin unified the humans under the Arathor Empire. But in those pre-Arathorian times, the house now known as the Grimbards belonged to the barbaric seafaring Seawulf clan. Instead of conquering the clan, Thoradin offered land and peerage to the clan in exchange for sworn vassalage. The chief of the Seawulfs accepted Thordadin’s offer, and Thoradin gave them land in Gilneas around what is now Keel Harbor, which would needed further protection from other sea raiding clans. Following the collapse of the Arathor Empire, the Seawulf clan became vassals of the Kingdom of Gilneas. After a few generations, the Seawulfs renamed themselves to House Grimbard and were granted the title of Lord. The house name honors the legendary figure Aderic the Fair*, from whom the Grimbards claim ancestral descent. Aderic, who serves as the tragic protagonist of the epic ballad “Aderic and the Green Maiden,” was a warrior-bard and dragon-slayer. Aderic’s spear, Fang, and Dreamweaver, his dragon-bone harp, are the prized heirlooms of House Grimbard. Much like their house name suggests, the Grimbards are a dour and melancholy lot of warriors, even by Gilnean standards. Since the rise of the Seven Kingdoms, the Grimbards have served loyally with distinction under House Greymane of Gilneas.

*Aderic the Fair: Aderic is beset with a pale complexion, platinum hair, a tall, lanky body, and a melancholy countenance. Despite his human ancestry, Aderic has an almost elfin appearance. Immortalized in tragic ballads sung by humans and, reputedly, the green dragonflight. The epic recounts how Aderic receives visions in his dreams of treasures in an enchanted glade. Upon finding the glade, Aderic the Fair slays the black dragon Ashwing guarding the shrine through guile and cunning. He then awakens the sleeping green-eyed elf maiden Esmara in the shrine. Returning home, Aderic the Fair and Esmara defeat an usurper of his throne and find love together. But Ashwing’s mate, Bileheart, disguises herself as an old crone and enthralls Aderic to her will, enchanting him to attack all dragons he sees. When Esmara comes to rescue Aderic, she is forced to reveal her green dragon form to break through the magical wards. When the ensorcelled Aderic sees Esmara as a dragon, he launches a violent assault. Unable to harm her love, Esmara holds back her power and is killed by Aderic. He then regains his senses once he realized that the green dragon he has slain is his love Esmara. Aderic then kills Bileheart in a fierce battle of martial prowess. Afterward, Aderic passes the kingdom/clan to his adopted nephew Halthar and sets sail never to be heard from again. Depending on local preferences, Aderic either was lost at sea or killed by Esmara’s vengeful brother, while some have him entering the Faerie Realm in search of Esmara. Whatever the case, Aderic is immortalized now at the ancient site of Aderic's Repose and in ballad.
Quote:
House Ironwood of Gilneas
Coat of Arms: Deadened black tree on a field of crimson.
House Motto: “Growing Strong”
Ancestral Estates: Seamist Manor (Stormglen)
The nobles of House Ironwood are the loyal retainers of House Greymane of Gilneas. The establishment of House Ironwood dates back to the times following the founding of the Kingdom of Gilneas. When the ancient order of druids in Gilneas began rapidly declining in numbers, several covens of druidic families formed small, noble houses to ensure their longevity. The Greymane line of kings granted peerage and lands to these enigmatic families. House Ironwood was born from the merger of two minor druidic families. Their house is named after the strange, dark trees of the Blackwald, which served as an ancient meeting place of their druidic order. Although the number of trained druids waned, the druidic arts were preserved in the Ironwood line, typically through teaching the younger children. Following the construction of the Greymane Wall, House Ironwood resurged in prominence. House Ironwood never aspired to be more than a minor house, but the noble house became instrumental during the famine that struck their lands.
Part II: The Parents of Erryl Grimbard
Quote:
Lord Martyn Grimbard (M, deceased; warrior): As a political custom, a young Martyn Grimbard was fostered in House Greymane, where he learned the arts of war and politics. As he grew in strength and expertise, he briefly became one of Liam Greymane’s combat trainers. For his loyalty and friendship, Genn Greymane arranged a marriage between House Grimbard and House Ironwood. The beautiful Sallis Ironwood, with her sharp mind and vivacious will, enamored Martyn. And unbeknownst to Martyn, she was also trained in the ancient druidic arts. The courtship was not without difficulties due to the initial reluctance Sallis had on entering into a marriage. The two had four children: Ralfdan (m), Koric (m), Valyria (f), and Erryl (m). When war broke out with the Horde, Gilneas was reluctant to join the Alliance of Lordaeron. While Gilneas deliberated, Martyn worried that his eldest son Ralfdan would miss a valuable opportunity to obtain wartime experience. He sent Ralfdan to squire for the newly created Order of the Silver Hand. During the Second Horde War, Martyn acted as one of King Genn Greymane’s chief tactical advisors. He was renowned for his tactical ability to win with small losses against numerically superior forces. Martyn’s tactical skills therefore proved invaluable for the sparse troops Gilneas committed to the Alliance war effort. Following the loss of the Alliance Expedition beyond the Dark Portal, and their son Ralfdan with them, Martyn vocally supported Greymane’s withdrawal from the Alliance and the construction of Greymane Wall, thereby coming to blows with Lord Darius Crowley. Martyn’s support for the Wall further alienated him from his second son Koric, who was studying in Dalaran. But Martyn secretly feared losing another son to the Alliance. In the course of the Third War, Martyn was crushed upon getting word of the fall of Dalaran to the Scourge and the death of Koric. It put him into a malaise from which he never recovered, as guilt slowly eroded his health. He died of a fever, and he bequeathed his inheritance to Erryl, his youngest and only remaining son. On his deathbed, Genn Greymane swore to protect his dying friend’s remaining children.
Quote:
Lady Sallis Ironwood (F, 56 yrs; mage): Sallis was born to House Ironwood in Stormglen Village. She studied the druidic arts, as befitting the heritage of her ancestral house. She possessed an interest in magical relics, early human civilization, as well as ancient sites. She returned to Stormglen after her druidic apprenticeship. But when she returned, she discovered of her arranged marriage to House Grimbard. When Martyn Grimbard traveled to meet her in Stormglen, he briefly stayed as a guest of House Ironwood. She sought out of the marriage so that she could continue her druidic studies in House Ironwood. Much to her surprise, Martyn offered to accompany her on a visit to study the standing stones of the Arathi Highlands and the runestone of Caer Darrow. In their travels, the stoic Martyn won her heart through a campfire recitation of “Aderic and the Green Maiden,” sung as she had never heard before: played with the mystical harp Dreamweaver and a somber voice echoing the lineage of many generations. The two were wed upon their return to Gilneas. Sallis continued her studies at Grimbard Manor, though running the estate demanded her foremost attention. Sallis supported the squiring of her eldest son Ralfdan, well knowing that he lacked either the patience or aptness of mind for anything other than swordplay. When her intelligent child, Koric, showed a greater affinity for the arcane arts, she grudgingly allowed her son to become a mage in Dalaran, though it remained a point of contention between them. With her husband’s support, she began tutoring their youngest son Erryl, who showed a natural gift in the druidic arts, even at an early age. Sallis contracted the worgen curse, though her status is presently unknown. It is presumed that she escaped on the first ships out of Keel Harbor.

Last edited by Genesis; 11-13-2010 at 08:03 PM..
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Part III: The Children of House Grimbard
Quote:
Ralfdan the Bold (1st Child, M, 32 yrs; paladin): Ralfdan was his father’s pride, a young warrior of hardened faith and steel. In the Second Horde War, Ralfdan squired as a youth for Haron, a paladin of the Silver Hand. He was present for many key moments at the end of the Second War, including the Battles of Alterac, Blackrock Spire, and the Dark Portal. The young squire Ralfdan even served in the Alliance Expedition that crossed the Dark Portal to Draenor. Ralfdan was presumed dead with the rest of the Alliance Expedition, which broke his father’s heart. In the time that followed, he has since risen as an Alliance commander in Outland. His tactics as commander have inspired both confidence and dread from his subordinates. Although he achieved many victories, these victories frequently came at a disproportionate cost of troops, supplies, and resources. Nevertheless, his victories have garnered a certain degree of popularity with his superiors in the Alliance Expedition. Since the reopening of the Dark Portal, he was disappointed to learn of Gilneas’s isolationism and withdrawal from the Alliance. Ralfdan hopes to reclaim the land, title, and house heirlooms entitled to him as firstborn.
Quote:
Koric (2nd Child, M, 29 yrs; mage): Unlike his burly brother Ralfdan, Koric was always a small, sick and frail child, who was frequently victimized by his older brother. He also became a subject of disapproval from his pugilistic father for a lack of interest in warfare or combat. However, Koric possessed a bright mind far more drawn to arcane lore. In many ways he was a child of his mother’s intellect. His decision to study arcane arts met was with tumult with both his parents, albeit for differing reasons. The construction of the Greymane Wall forced Koric to choose between his family and his arcane studies. Much to the consternation of his parents, he chose to continue studying arcane lore in Dalaran under the tutelage of Archmage Arugal, a fellow Gilnean ex-patriot. In passionate anger, his father disowned him and stripped him of his inheritance. Left feeling hurt and betrayed, he became increasingly dependent on the support of his lover Marcus, a fellow mage and secret member of the Cult of the Damned. Marcus brought him into the fold of the Cult of the Damned. As Koric delved deeper in the mysteries of the cult, its true nature horrified him, but it was too late to warn anyone. Koric died in the Scourge’s Siege of Dalaran, while his mentor Arugal fled to the safety of Shadowfang Keep. Koric was raised in service of the Scourge, but later broke free as a Forsaken in the Royal Apothecary Society. His life was full of suffering and believes these sentiments to be unequivocally held, which has made him indifferent to the suffering of others. He bears hatred towards the Scourge that ended his life, his Scourge-loyalist ex-lover Marcus, his fleeing mentor Arugal, as well as the nation and family he believes abandoned him. His intimate knowledge of Gilneas was used as a resource by the Forsaken for the planned invasion of Gilneas.
Quote:
Valyria (3rd Child, F, 26 yrs; rogue): Valyria’s intelligence came not from a mind concerned with esoteric or arcane lore, but from her deadly cunning. She never fancied becoming an armored knight like her eldest brother, but she did become captain of the ship Seawulf in the Gilneas naval fleet. With an adventurous spirit, she loves the open waves of the high seas. Her father proudly claimed that she was born with the Seawulf blood in her. She is an exceptional maritime strategist, who was unfortunately born too late to see any wartime combat. Nevertheless, many high-ranking Gilneas naval officers attempted to court her in marriage. Instead, she married a blockade-runner and smuggler named Morgan Saltworth. While many saw this as a marriage as a disgrace, it was in truth a huge advance for her. Morgan Saltworth, in truth, is one of the commanders in the Gilnean Intelligence. Valyria served as a spy, and occasional assassin, for Gilneas while posing as a shipping merchant. During the worgen epidemic, she and the crew of her ship, the Seawulf, helped maintain the quarantine of Gilneas at Keel Harbor, where she contracted the worgen curse. Valyria Saltworth remains a staunch Gilnean patriot and loyal member of the Grimbard family. Having always been closer to her younger brother, she supports her brother Erryl’s claim to the Grimbard title and inheritance against the claims of her elder brothers.
Quote:
Erryl (4th Child, M, 24 yrs; druid): Erryl Grimbard was born the fourth child and third son of Lord Martyn Grimbard and Lady Sallis Ironwood. Amongst his family Erryl is the jack-of-all-trades. He never could match the martial prowess of Ralfdan, the scholarly intellect of Koric, or the strategic cunning or wit of Valyria, but had an ample mix of each to be formidable in his own right. And more so than any of the other Martyn’s children, the stoic Erryl was born with the characteristic melancholy visage of the Grimbard lineage. His Grimbard and Gilnean pride was always tempered by wisdom and a sound mind. As youngest son, Erryl had little chance inheriting the Grimbard estate and title. As a young child his life was severely threatened by the verdant fever, in which he experienced the first in a series of vision dreams that persisted through his life. In his first vision, he dreamt of hunting black dragons in lush green wilds as a wolf. He later dreamt he was a wolf being led by a green dragon to a violet-skinned elf on the coast, where the elf said to him, “Tell me of your moon dreams, Feryl.” Many dismissed these dreams as the fanciful imagination of childhood, especially of a child well familiar with the tale of Aderic the Fair.

Erryl's mother began tutoring him at a young age in the druidic arts, as was custom in the Ironwood family tradition. He barely had the time to advance his studies to even a novice level, as his father later sent him to the court of Genn Greymane to be fostered, much as he had been as a young lad. Erryl received minimal arms training from several of Genn’s men-at-arms. His father died of a fever during this time. He then came to view Liam Greymane as an older brother figure and mentor. The outbreak of civil war, however, put his loyalties to the test. During the civil war, Erryl sided with the Greymane faction opposed to the Crowley faction, partially out of obligation to Genn Greymane for the oath sworn to his father. Erryl had some sympathies for the rebel cause, but opposed the war’s detrimental effect on the land and its inhabitants. When a famine afflicted Gilneas, Erryl was among the noble delegates sent to request the aid of the enigmatic druids of Gilneas, who according to rumor could make crops grow. But Erryl knew from even the brief training he received from his mother that these druids were more than the mere “harvest-witches” they were commonly regarded. As they restored the land, Erryl claimed this opportunity to resume his druidic studies and continued his work with them until the outbreak of the worgen epidemic.

Erryl helped Greymane secure Gilneas during the worgen epidemic, but invariably contracted the worgen curse alongside other defenders of Light’s Dawn Cathedral. Erryl roamed the wilds as worgen for an indeterminate amount of time, only vaguely remembering these experiences. Greymane’s worgen-hunters eventually brought him back to Duskhaven. Still under the oath to his father, Genn refused to give up on Erryl’s alchemical treatments. With his mind restored, Erryl resolves to protect the Grimbard family name, his inheritance from other claimants, and the people of Gilneas. Erryl searches for answers to the origins of the worgen curse and the nature of his “moon dreams.” With Gilneas under siege by the Forsaken, Erryl must put his quest for answers on hold.

Last edited by Genesis; 11-24-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Elune

I really like it, Genesis. Very cool.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM

Huntress

Here's my character, to be created when patch 4.03a hits.

Quote:
Name: Calvus Flameheart

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

Calvus Flameheart was born to a family of Stormwind refugees during the bloody course of the Second War, never knowing his father, who died at Blackrock Mountain before he was born. Since his mother told him his father's fate, he swore revenge on all Orcs. At the age of fourteen his family fled back to Stormwind from Lordaeron, the few other people he knew ripped apart by the Scourge before they fled. He knows nothing of their fates.

When he was nineteen, a great many threats attacked the world, but he was so stricken with grief at the death of his mother, his last surviving family, that he enlisted in the Stormwind military, training while adventurers fought Ragnaros and Kel'thuzad, and fought briefly in Outland during the Burning Crusade (not seeing much action, spending most of his time training and on sentry duty).

At the age of twenty-one, he went to Northrend with King Varian's military, guarding Valiance Keep. The horrors he saw jaded him, and the Wrathgate made him extend his hatred of Orcs to the entirety of the Horde. After Northrend, he stayed at Northshire for three years, jaded, disaffected, and with a burning desire to make his mark in the world. Then, the Cataclysm came, and he decided to make his life worth something by helping in whatever way he can to defeat the many threats now facing the world - this time not as a soldier, but as a true hero.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Guru of Gilneas

You may want to rethink how long he was in Northshire, especially if he came there after Northrend. The time between the start of the Northrend Wars and Cataclysm is roughly three years, from what I recall. It may even be less than that.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Here's something I've been arguing with people for a long time that ties into a character's RP backstory:

Did the Goblins know of and visit Kalimdor before the rest of the EK and, even more importantly, did they have any form of relations with the night elves?? We know they've been considered extremely intelligent since the WotA era, they live pretty much halfway between the two continents, they have great mercantile fleets. I remember reading somewhere, probably on WoWWiki, ages ago, that the goblins kept Kalimdor as a trade secret, but I've never found any actual citations about it.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Did the Goblins know of and visit Kalimdor before the rest of the EK and, even more importantly, did they have any form of relations with the night elves?? We know they've been considered extremely intelligent since the WotA era, they live pretty much halfway between the two continents, they have great mercantile fleets. I remember reading somewhere, probably on WoWWiki, ages ago, that the goblins kept Kalimdor as a trade secret, but I've never found any actual citations about it.
Depending on how deeply the details of War3 can be considered canon, the Goblins definatly knew about Kalimdor before its "discovery" by the other races. Neeloc Greedyfingers was there before Grom, right? Whether made up by fans or not, "trade secret" is the most plausible explanation.

On the other hand, the Goblins didn't do very much in Kalimdor. Either they got there not very long before "we" did, or the continent's abundant natural resorces had to remain untapped thanks to the hostile natives. The Night Elves would've considered any intrusion into Northern Kalimdor an act of war. The Centaur were overrunning Central Kalimdor prior to Thrall's arrival, and they aren't that keen on trade. Southern Kalimdor is a forbidding desert without much to fight over. Speaking of which, was it ever explained why Gadgetzan was build where it was?

Anyway, my point is that exploiting Kalimdor would've required the collective effort of every single Goblin. Perhaps the little green guys knew about it, but they didn't have the manpower to develop it. Then again, if it was of no value to them, why keep it secret? Or maybe they just figured nobody else would be able to develop it either?

The other races seemed to regard Kalimdor in much the way Medieval Europeans thought of China and India: it exists somewhere over there, but everyone who tries to find it never comes back. Medivh certainly knew about it, and perhaps a few others. I can see intrepid explorers from Kul Tiras making landfall there. They would dutifully catalogue their position, but with out a reason to come back, they never did. Imagine that nobody was trying to reach India by sailing west and no gold was found. Do you think the Europeans would've bothered to stop and conquer the Americas? I don't think so. The Vikings didn't.

There is also the small matter that sailing west means skirting the Raging Maelstrom, a very risky thing to do. Why would anyone risk their lives to reach a place filled only with people who want to kill you? As such, I can see the information getting buried in a library somewhere and "lost." Meanwhile, successful colonies were founded in southeast Northrend. That was never explained either.
"How do you deter and contain monsters? Simple: you use the only languages they understand, force and fear. How do you strike fear into the heart of a monster? Even simpler: create a worse monster and send it after them."
Old 11-30-2010, 06:23 PM

I mostly ask this because my character, a night elf, would have knowledge of goblin alchemy prior to the events of WCIII. If the goblins had contact with Kalimdor, it's easy to say he bought some textbooks, otherwise... yeah
Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Ranger

Sorry. I can get a little carried away at outlining theories in detail. In your case, the question is not so much how he got Goblin books, but how he learned to read them. I don't see the Goblins and Night Elves getting along very well.
"How do you deter and contain monsters? Simple: you use the only languages they understand, force and fear. How do you strike fear into the heart of a monster? Even simpler: create a worse monster and send it after them."
Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Sorry. I can get a little carried away at outlining theories in detail. In your case, the question is not so much how he got Goblin books, but how he learned to read them. I don't see the Goblins and Night Elves getting along very well.
He could read them for the same reason that Tyrande and Jaina could talk to eachother in WCIII
Old 12-19-2010, 12:18 PM

Elune

Working on coming up with a backstory for my recently race-changed worgen death knight. It's not going well, as their very existence confirms that being a worgen doesn't make you immune to undeath. I can either go with the "we escaped from Arugal only to be mauled by the Scourge" from the worgen DK Special Surprise quest, or just have my human DK contract the worgen curse somehow and stick with his old backstory with the worgen curse just being the next chapter.

Tags
arpee, query