Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Azjol-Nerub as a zone ideas

So, well, I think pretty much everyone in this site would love to see Azjol-Nerub as a zone some day, me included, so let's start writing ideas just for the sake of fun. Usual business.

I'd include this zone as the Yogg-Saron related zone in the 4th expansion, involving the Old Gods and their imminent invasion of Azeroth.

ZONE DESCRIPTION

The zone would basically be a huge cavern, following the style of what we already saw inside the instance. What we know as the instances and the 3 kingdoms (Lower, Old and Upper) would be only a part of the zone, like the capital of the Nerubian kingdom. They would be built one over other, like the floors of a building, and each one would have the size of a capital city, more or less.

The rest of the zone would be an underground landscape, with smaller cities and villages around. The tricky part of the zone would be the floors, but the designers would build easy followable paths, so if you get lost (will happen often) you just need to find the road to understand where you are.

Finally, as other minor details, there shouldn't be too many tunnels to the outside, cause nerubian aren't stupid. Access to the zone should be initially granted by teleportation, and the exit tunnels should be well hidden, save for those of the capital city, which would work as the main tunnels. The zone is supposed to be deep underground, so it's not like building a tunnel in there is easy. Aside from those tunnels, the only other thing from the exterior entering this zone should be the roots of Vordrassil, that could appear around at the roof of a subzone.

Now, let's quit with the design and let's go with the lore:

FACTIONS LORE

The zone would have its own unique savage fauna, and it would be mainly controlled by the undead nerubians, that got free of the Lich King's control and roam around freely. The faceless ones would have their numbers increased, and they would be accompanied by Twilight Hammer cultists and nerubian worshippers.

The thing is, we didn't destroy Yogg-Saron completely. Somehow, he already had a part outside the prison, how I don't know, perhaps the Eye of Sargeras broke the prison and he was already free since TFT. Let's say the titans focused on imprisoning his soul/will/essence more than his body.

So now he's free, at Azjol-Nerub. He's not at full-power, but he's still a good foe (like C'Thun). He could have more than one part, which would explain TFT's Old God (like mini Old Gods xD) or he could just be at more than one place, like you see some tentacles in a place, and he suddenly pops up there. Like if his conscience moves between his different bodies. You must destroy all of them or stop them from moving to another to destroy him, then.

Our main allies at the zone are the good nerubians, that were trying to recover their lands after the defeat of the Scourge, and just got caught between the struggle.

PLOT

Eventually, for the sake of storytelling, we'd discover that a part of the undead nerubian populace is under a single banner... dun dun dun. Trial of the Crusader was merely a setback.

To explain this rereturn, textwall time: (yes, even more text)

In my fanfic version of the -16000 war, the nerubians played with the Old Gods. Summarized: they got their gifts and, after that, they kicked them out without serving them.

Now, let's analyze the situation: Yogg-Saron is the god of death. What gifts could he give? Yes, immunity to death! Let's say a number of nerubian leaders got a good piece of the blessing, and become near immortal or something. Mix that with the undead and there you have, ever-unliving-elite-cryptlords.

And Anub'arak is one of them. The nerubian leader would send us to speak with him, to find a way to defeat Yogg-Saron. After laughing at our "U again!" face, he could prove us with a fight, to later rise again, demonstrating us t'was no joking.

So, we have 3 factions: Yogg-Saron, Anub'arak and the good nerubians. But, wait, why should Anub'arak not be our enemy? That's because I haven't explained his new personality:

Anub'arak respected Ner'zhul, like a good warrior respects he who has defeated him, but he thinks both him and his champion (who wasn't still prepared for becoming the LK) lack a goal in their lives. Vengeance and hatred are good for war, but that's all. He wants to make productive stuff for him and his people, to build something decent. He wants an empire, and then to get it to grow and to research and to discover and build awesome things and to be the best. Nerubians never wanted to enslave anyone, they just wanted to get power, in the form of knowledge. Something like that.

So the explanation for WotLK is that Arthas was a proud bastard, he didn't know what he was doing, he wasn't prepared for ruling the Scourge as the Lich King, and that he simply lacked a true goal; or was just undecided or something, his mind not being still cold enough (Matthias Lehner). Something like that (again).

So now he's free-willed, he doesn't need to obey stupid orders, and he's the awesome guy we knew from back TFT. As for how he became undead, I'd prefer a "you have 2 options: serve me willingly or serve me unwillingly", forcing him to betray his people in order to keep his mind and stay as a high-rank member.

That's all. Text walls for-the-win . Opinion and your own ideas for the zone are welcome .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-15-2009, 12:03 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
That's all. Text walls for-the-win . Opinion and your own ideas for the zone are welcome .
Indeed. Let me start

Quote:
ZONE DESCRIPTION

The zone would basically be a huge cavern, following the style of what we already saw inside the instance. What we know as the instances and the 3 kingdoms (Lower, Old and Upper) would be only a part of the zone, like the capital of the Nerubian kingdom. They would be built one over other, like the floors of a building, and each one would have the size of a capital city, more or less.

The rest of the zone would be an underground landscape, with smaller cities and villages around. The tricky part of the zone would be the floors, but the designers would build easy followable paths, so if you get lost (will happen often) you just need to find the road to understand where you are.
Quote:
Finally, as other minor details, there shouldn't be too many tunnels to the outside, cause nerubian aren't stupid. Access to the zone should be initially granted by teleportation, and the exit tunnels should be well hidden, save for those of the capital city, which would work as the main tunnels. The zone is supposed to be deep underground, so it's not like building a tunnel in there is easy. Aside from those tunnels, the only other thing from the exterior entering this zone should be the roots of Vordrassil, that could appear around at the roof of a subzone.
I agree. I think there should be 3 tunnels out, and thats it; one out of Sundered Monolith to, one to Icecrown, the one Arthas took, and a (collapsed) one to the place where the instances are

Now, let's quit with the design and let's go with the lore:

Quote:
FACTIONS LORE

The zone would have its own unique savage fauna, and it would be mainly controlled by the undead nerubians, that got free of the Lich King's control and roam around freely. The faceless ones would have their numbers increased, and they would be accompanied by Twilight Hammer cultists and nerubian worshippers.

The thing is, we didn't destroy Yogg-Saron completely. Somehow, he already had a part outside the prison, how I don't know, perhaps the Eye of Sargeras broke the prison and he was already free since TFT. Let's say the titans focused on imprisoning his soul/will/essence more than his body.

So now he's free, at Azjol-Nerub. He's not at full-power, but he's still a good foe (like C'Thun). He could have more than one part, which would explain TFT's Old God (like mini Old Gods xD) or he could just be at more than one place, like you see some tentacles in a place, and he suddenly pops up there. Like if his conscience moves between his different bodies. You must destroy all of them or stop them from moving to another to destroy him, then.

Our main allies at the zone are the good nerubians, that were trying to recover their lands after the defeat of the Scourge, and just got caught between the struggle.
Interesting idea, especially the Yogg-Saron part. I do like the idea of the living Nerubians being stuck in the middle.
Quote:
PLOT

Eventually, for the sake of storytelling, we'd discover that a part of the undead nerubian populace is under a single banner... dun dun dun. Trial of the Crusader was merely a setback.

To explain this rereturn, textwall time: (yes, even more text)

In my fanfic version of the -16000 war, the nerubians played with the Old Gods. Summarized: they got their gifts and, after that, they kicked them out without serving them.

Now, let's analyze the situation: Yogg-Saron is the god of death. What gifts could he give? Yes, immunity to death! Let's say a number of nerubian leaders got a good piece of the blessing, and become near immortal or something. Mix that with the undead and there you have, ever-unliving-elite-cryptlords.

And Anub'arak is one of them. The nerubian leader would send us to speak with him, to find a way to defeat Yogg-Saron. After laughing at our "U again!" face, he could prove us with a fight, to later rise again, demonstrating us t'was no joking.

So, we have 3 factions: Yogg-Saron, Anub'arak and the good nerubians. But, wait, why should Anub'arak not be our enemy? That's because I haven't explained his new personality:

Anub'arak respected Ner'zhul, like a good warrior respects he who has defeated him, but he thinks both him and his champion (who wasn't still prepared for becoming the LK) lack a goal in their lives. Vengeance and hatred are good for war, but that's all. He wants to make productive stuff for him and his people, to build something decent. He wants an empire, and then to get it to grow and to research and to discover and build awesome things and to be the best. Nerubians never wanted to enslave anyone, they just wanted to get power, in the form of knowledge. Something like that.

So the explanation for WotLK is that Arthas was a proud bastard, he didn't know what he was doing, he wasn't prepared for ruling the Scourge as the Lich King, and that he simply lacked a true goal; or was just undecided or something, his mind not being still cold enough (Matthias Lehner). Something like that (again).

So now he's free-willed, he doesn't need to obey stupid orders, and he's the awesome guy we knew from back TFT. As for how he became undead, I'd prefer a "you have 2 options: serve me willingly or serve me unwillingly", forcing him to betray his people in order to keep his mind and stay as a high-rank member.
Awesome. Anub'arak has always been one of my favorites, and I have been disappointed with his appearances in WotLK; I mean, Kel'thuzad at least got a couple of appearances outside of Naxxramas.

So would Anub'arak's forces and the living Nerubians be reputation factions? Perhpas a new Aldor-Scryer/Oracle-Frenzyheart reupation thing?

And I think Anub'arak deserves more than just the icy covering he got in the Tournament, as far as visuals go. I have this vision of Anub'arak covered in an artificial saronite carapace, with a lot regal nerubian gold triming and such. Basically you see this guy and he has a aura of fear, but at the same time royalty.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM

Elune

Nice to see you liked my ideas (and read them, that deserves a prize or something xD) Heh .

Anub'arak and his most elite cryptlord lieutenants would all have that "immortal" status, an status linked to Yogg-Saron, of course.

What could that relation be? They could have saronite as blood, for example. If Yogg-Saron dies, then his blood all around the world shakes, so, places like Icecrown would simply collapse, and beings blessed by him would lose his blessing.

My plot idea is that we work with the good nerubians, that are a faction. We kill undead nerubians (and other races that ran down here) that are free and have formed small warbands or are just insane. Later, we get to interact with a group of them that has a different mentality. When we report to the good nerubians, their leader tells us that there's a group out there, formed by those who are still sane and don't want to create havoc.

The feeling towards them should be of bitterness. After all, they are "betrayers". For now, there's tension, but it's still asleep. The undead nerubians don't lke the living ones, either, just because they consider them monsters or don't support their new philosophy.

The Aldor/Scryers thing is a good idea. I simply didn't think about it, having Anub'arak as a necessity ally, that would ignore you eventually, but now that I think it, I could see these 2 forces as what you're telling me.

The problem is I would like you to interact with both of them, but I can easily see something like this instead of my previously linear model:

-Undead nerubian explorers: send you to Anub'arak after some quests
-Good nerubians: send you to Anub'arak after some quests

So there would be 2 factions of undead nerubian and, perhaps, we could elaborate more on it like this:

-Undead nerubian explorers: send you to good nerubian elder: sends you to Anub'arak.
-Good nerubians: send you to good nerubian elder: sends you to Anub'arak.

Anub'arak and those good nerubian elders would share faction.

And if not, there would simply be 2 factions, and one would come after the another. Also, if we choose this case, the 2 opposing factions could be minorities of the 2 big ones.

The point is that Anub'arak shouldn't appear until there has been some progression, and that he should appear equally to everyone.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Nice to see you liked my ideas (and read them, that deserves a prize or something xD) Heh .

Anub'arak and his most elite cryptlord lieutenants would all have that "immortal" status, an status linked to Yogg-Saron, of course.

What could that relation be? They could have saronite as blood, for example. If Yogg-Saron dies, then his blood all around the world shakes, so, places like Icecrown would simply collapse, and beings blessed by him would lose his blessing.

My plot idea is that we work with the good nerubians, that are a faction. We kill undead nerubians (and other races that ran down here) that are free and have formed small warbands or are just insane. Later, we get to interact with a group of them that has a different mentality. When we report to the good nerubians, their leader tells us that there's a group out there, formed by those who are still sane and don't want to create havoc.

The feeling towards them should be of bitterness. After all, they are "betrayers". For now, there's tension, but it's still asleep. The undead nerubians don't lke the living ones, either, just because they consider them monsters or don't support their new philosophy.

The Aldor/Scryers thing is a good idea. I simply didn't think about it, having Anub'arak as a necessity ally, that would ignore you eventually, but now that I think it, I could see these 2 forces as what you're telling me.

The problem is I would like you to interact with both of them, but I can easily see something like this instead of my previously linear model:

-Undead nerubian explorers: send you to Anub'arak after some quests
-Good nerubians: send you to Anub'arak after some quests

So there would be 2 factions of undead nerubian and, perhaps, we could elaborate more on it like this:

-Undead nerubian explorers: send you to good nerubian elder: sends you to Anub'arak.
-Good nerubians: send you to good nerubian elder: sends you to Anub'arak.

Anub'arak and those good nerubian elders would share faction.

And if not, there would simply be 2 factions, and one would come after the another. Also, if we choose this case, the 2 opposing factions could be minorities of the 2 big ones.

The point is that Anub'arak shouldn't appear until there has been some progression, and that he should appear equally to everyone.
I'm no stranger to making walls of text myself (though I normally don't remember to post them) so I figured it would be hypocritical of me to skip other peoples' walls of text while expecting them to read mine. Plus Azjol'Nerub is awesome

Perhaps there could be the Aldor/Scryer thing, but then a Third faction a la Shattered Sun Offensive that is a combination of the two, the difference being that you don't have to wait until a 'Sunwell Plateau' to access the faction Anub'arak and however leads the living Nerubians could officially be part of this third faction, while their second in commands lead the others. For the sake of progression, lets say this third faction is unlocked once you get one of the Nerubian factions to a certain point, like honored or revered.

I can see them fighting Yogg together for the greater good, but having different idea of what should happen to him. The living Nerubians wish to destroy him while the undead Nerubians want to imprison him so they retain immortality.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Ranger

I like your ideas Lon. Azjol-nerub and the nerubians in general were extremely dissapointing in WotLK, despite hints on the official WotLK website we learned nothing about them at all. In game there are both flying nerubians, and more humanoid "viziers" and yet there is no explanation to either of them. So yeah, more coverage would be great, and I like your idea about Yogg Saron returning. To me, I always thought that the Old God's bodies were literally part of Azeroth's ground, and that the saronite mines were Yoggies "veins" etc. so it always seemed strange that we killed him by simply destroying a small part of him in Ulduar. In fact, you want explanation as to how he was freed, you could just say that we released him when we killed that "piece" of him in Ulduar, sort of like cutting off a hand to release it from a trap.

Last edited by Atomic_Piggy; 11-15-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Old 11-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Sentinel Queen

What if Yogg-Saron had been indeed destroyed but his body parts are now a kind of plaque infecting everything in its path and the Nerubians require our help to fight back. There could be structures made out of his flesh, horrible twisted creatures and more nightmarish scenes throughout the zone so one can't be sure what is right and what is wrong. It might seem you are doing quests for your faction but later it is revealed the quest givers where illusioned forgotten ones and evil nerubian viziers. A bit like Abercrombie but with a twist.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:41 PM

Revenant - Moderator

I like your ideas Lon-ami, but I want to try and put together what I think Blizzard may have been going for (If WotLK never happened the way it did):

Azjol-Nerub would be mainly entered through a huge gate somewhere in the Dragonblight. Doorward would be an alliance town, as no nerubians seemed to like them.

The sinkholes could still exist. I disagree with "there shouldn't be too many tunnels to the outside, cause nerubian aren't stupid". While fewer gates would make sense for the city at its prime, what would the Scourge or nerubians on the run do? I think it would be more tragic and war-machine-like if the Scourge was tunneling through the carved walls of Azjol-Nerub, to get to places like Icemist and the towns in the Borean Tundra. There could be quests to close the holes, or you cold use them.

Azjol-Nerub would be divided into three factions: The Anub'ar would be the Scourge forces in service to Anub'arak, the Azjol-anak would be the 'good' living nerubians trying to get their city back, and the Viziers would rally the nerubians that are both evil and alive under Yogg-Saron.

In Warcraft III, Azjol-Nerub was a mostly linear path from Dragonblight to Icecrown, but in WoW that would not work. Both of the current instances could still exist separatly with some minor tweaks:

"Azjol-Nerub" would become the "Palace of Nerub", and be the throne room seen in the mission in TFT called "The Forgotten Ones". It would have Anub'arak and Prince Taldaram in it. Anub'arak (with spikes, and perhaps his ice armor) would also appear around the zone and taunt people. Not like the Lich King does, like Under-King Anub'et'kan does from his command rock. Perhaps show a tamed Jormungar boss digging (fighting an industrial digging creature might be epic). The Gilded Gate would not be here, it would be somewhere exposed on the surface, or just inside a cave at the surface.

Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom would be all about Yoggy. It would be entered at the bottom of the zone's caverns, and be the faceless one part of the "The Forgotten Ones" mission (a minor retcon would split the area seen in the mission into two separate places, maybe explain it with some caved-in staircases). Elder Nadox (still alive), Jedoga Shadowseeker, and Herald Volazj would all be here. The Forgotten One would be dead, and be shown as an 'arm' of Yogg-Saron, who is locked away in Ulduar. If it was shown as it was in Warcraft III, there would be noobs (perhaps even non-noobs) who ask "Why is C'thun here?", so maybe it would be a saronite blob. Herald Volazj would be trying to empower his master, so Yogg could break free faster.

In the end, everyone but the Azjol-anak die and get looted, someone (Kilix, or a young spiderlord) gets Anub'arak's crown, and the nerubians become a playable race and/or a mount.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:13 AM

Eternal

I think it would be really nice if they introduced AN between 3.3s release and next expansion. But then it would be a daily quest zone and not have a raid, maybe a 5-man and a new arena.

Azjol'anak: The New Kingdom
With Arthas demise, the Azjol'anak Nerubians led by Kilix the Unraveler has began to retake parts of their old kingdom. The Scourge's control over the undead Nerubians has already begun to diminish.

As the Nerubians retake their fallen city, the Sundered Monolith, something is rising far beneath the earth. The Twilight Cultists in the caverns of Azjol'anak have started to worship another evil and it remains to be seen if their new master is related to the Old Gods or not.

But even here, the Horde and the Alliance are bound to wage war on each other. The Dwarves of the Doorward fight the Trolls of Hex'walah for the rare rescourses deep below and the ancient treasures that are located in this passage between the Dragonblight and Icecrown. A passage that Arthas and the cryptlord Anub'arak walked through in the aftermath of the Third War.

Azjol'anak is in similar size to the Isle of Quel'danas, including the area where the Sunwell Plateu is. Its located between the Dragonblight (east of the Wrathgate) and southern Icecrown (it leads to The Frozen Depths).

The Sundered Monolith is located in the middle of the zone.
Its the location of the Azjol'anak Arena aswell as a daily quest hub where players can gain a Spider mount and the title, "Liberator of Nerub".
And in the deepest location of Azjol'anak lies the Maw of Chaos where the remaining Twilight Cultists of Northrend have gathered to call celebrate the event that will shake the foundations of Azeroth - the Cataclysm.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 AM

Elune

Pretty, prety nice ideas around. It's awesome just to see everyone give all their ideas.

My point about the tunnels is that Azjol-Nerub is deep underground, and that the nerubian don't leave open tunnels, whic would be potential entrances for the enemy.

For all those sinkholes, I think they build them once they're outside, or that they collapse on purpose the end of them just to avoid anyone getting into the tunnel from going down.

As for the gates of TFT, I think they are the ones we see at WotLK, only that we got there in a different way:

-Upper Kingdom gate: I believe the entrance to this one was located at Azjol-nerub, near Wyrmrest, where dragons could watch over it (remember there were blue dragons watching over it at TFT). The entrance could have just frozen out and be under the ice.

-Inner Kingdom gate: I believe there was a tunnel in the ice, too, but that it got frozen out, too, after the earthquakes produced by killing the forgotten one and the melting of the area around Icecrown.

I think both of them could have been ultimately neutralized in purpose by the Scourge, one to avoid blue dragons of Wyrmrest from attacking, after they conquered Doorward, and the another one to avoid faceless ones from invading.

And yeah, Atomic_Piggy, that would be a good answer. After all, if he could be freed, why wasn't he? The prison was already broken...

Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Archer

A rough theory I've been leaning towards is like the following:

1) Yoggy plays dead to neutralize the arrival of the Titans who would be called down my Algalon (who we end up defeating).

2) Yoggy (and perhaps the other Old Gods) allow The Lich King to act as the "big baddie" to turn our attention away from the ever increasing threat of the Old Gods.

3) Alliance/Hord tensions are at an all time high, another War may just be a small step away.

4) Malygo's Tampering with the Lay Lines of the Planet have put it into an unstable phase.

5) The Twilight Cultists working in the name of Yoggy have taken over large parts of the Nerubian empire. (General Vezax looks very "Nerubianesque" to me) And will finish what Illidan began in destabilizing the planets crusts.

6) With the laylines drained, the barrier between the Elemental Plains and the Real World are breaking down.

7) The Death of Medan will finally break down the barriers completely.

8) ???

9) C A T A C L Y S M
Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 PM

Eternal

As much as killing Me'dan would be a good thing, I don't advocate killing kids, or even the representation of it.

Luckily this is WoW, where the uber-mashamadin will probably soulstone himself, and we'll get dead me'dan and he'll get better immediately.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
As much as killing Me'dan would be a good thing, I don't advocate killing kids, or even the representation of it.
Med'an isn't a child by human standards. He just ages slowly.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 11-16-2009, 04:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
As much as killing Me'dan would be a good thing
Because?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:45 PM

Eternal

Isn't Me'dan like the ultimate in Gary Sue? Product of illicit affair, prophecized to save or destroy the world, adept at all schools of magic, etc etc.

WoW doesn't need that kind of crap.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvan View Post
Anub'arak hated Ner'zhul. Hardly respected him.
Anub'arak still had to do as the Lich King willed. Just with some grumbling.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Elune

How come they didn't make the messing around with the Ley Lines the reason for the weakening of the barrier between the Elemental Plane and Azeroth? It sounds better than "Deathwing broke through the ground".
Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
How come they didn't make the messing around with the Ley Lines the reason for the weakening of the barrier between the Elemental Plane and Azeroth? It sounds better than "Deathwing broke through the ground".
1- They needed a villain and a reason to want to kill him
2- There's nothing that indicates the ley lines are connected with other planes
3- Deathwing didn't just weaken the boundary, he shattered it
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
2- There's nothing that indicates the ley lines are connected with other planes
3- Deathwing didn't just weaken the boundary, he shattered it
2 - I thought they said something about the messing around with the ley lines and the Twisting Nether somewhere. I could be wrong.

3 - It is supposed to be a prison though...for whole races of elementals, and who knows what else, and their leaders. You would think it would be slightly difficult to shatter.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
2 - I thought they said something about the messing around with the ley lines and the Twisting Nether somewhere. I could be wrong.

3 - It is supposed to be a prison though...for whole races of elementals, and who knows what else, and their leaders. You would think it would be slightly difficult to shatter.
2- Malygos was shooting the Ley Lines into the twisting Nether, but we it seems to have little affect on anything but Azeroth.

3- I don't think it was easily to shatter. I mean, look at what it caused; the Cataclysm. Also, as evidenced by this picture, Deathwing used a temple to shoot himself up and shatter that boundaries, proving the increased power needed.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Isn't Me'dan like the ultimate in Gary Sue? Product of illicit affair, prophecized to save or destroy the world, adept at all schools of magic, etc etc.
And has he done anything Gary Sue? Sure he's propheted as this ultimate guy but what has he accomplished so far besides knowing how to teleport? If you don't want "Ultimate Gary Sues" in this game i guess this means we need to kill off:
- Deathwing
- Rest of the Dragon Aspects
- Malfurion
- Thrall
- Varian

If you don't know a jack about the character besides what some random people have told you. Shut up and read the bloody comic.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
And has he done anything Gary Sue? Sure he's propheted as this ultimate guy but what has he accomplished so far besides knowing how to teleport? If you don't want "Ultimate Gary Sues" in this game i guess this means we need to kill off:
- Deathwing
- Rest of the Dragon Aspects
- Malfurion
- Thrall
- Varian

If you don't know a jack about the character besides what some random people have told you. Shut up and read the bloody comic.
Deathwing is not a "Gary Sue" because he's evil, insane, and has Saturday morning cartoon villain-ish tendencies (I would have succeeded too, if it weren't for you meddling adventurers!).

The Dragon Aspects aren't Gary/Mary Sues because Malygos was insane and then became sane AND mad, Ysera is asleep, Nozdormu is MIA, and Alexstrasza tends to take the "indirect, supporting role" rather than the Mary Sue-ish center of attention and action part.

Malfurion is not a Gary Sue because if you mention Tyrande he loses all reason.

Thrall is not a Gary Sue because, as a character archetype, he's incredibly subversive.

Varian is not a Gary Sue because there's a lot one can understandably dislike about the character and his mindset on grounds other than Wesley Crusher perfection.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Eternal

The ley-line is great and makes a lot of sense.

Unfortunaly, it seems that we wont see any of the aftermath effects from the "breaking" of some important ley-lines.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
Deathwing is not a "Gary Sue" because he's evil, insane, and has Saturday morning cartoon villain-ish tendencies (I would have succeeded too, if it weren't for you meddling adventurers!).
Yeah being able to shatter the planet is just okay.

Quote:
The Dragon Aspects aren't Gary/Mary Sues because Malygos was insane and then became sane AND mad, Ysera is asleep, Nozdormu is MIA, and Alexstrasza tends to take the "indirect, supporting role" rather than the Mary Sue-ish center of attention and action part.
Yeah because Alexstrasza hasn't been the center of attention during the Nexus War along with Malygos, no?
Quote:
Malfurion is not a Gary Sue because if you mention Tyrande he loses all reason.
Being able to stand againts Archimonde for a while and whatnot isn't Gary Sue? Okay!

Quote:
Thrall is not a Gary Sue because, as a character archetype, he's incredibly subversive.
Taking down a FUCKING Necropolis with 1 GOD DAMN Spell isn't Gary Sue?

Quote:
Varian is not a Gary Sue because there's a lot one can understandably dislike about the character and his mindset on grounds other than Wesley Crusher perfection.
So a mortal man singlehandedly beheading a Dragon isn't gary sue?

I guess than a young adult who knows novice level shamanism, holy light and expertise arcane magic is completely fine too. Since you know if you actually read the comic he and the other council members have gotten their ASS KICKED and the only time Med'an has succeeded in doing something awesome as healing Meryl with shamanism. Other times its the other comic heroes taking the spotlight, BUT NO, you non-comic readers draw your own conclusion and whine about something totally irrevelant.

/rant off.
/angts off.

. . . :|.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM

Elune

Returning to Azjol-Nerub topic:

I think the Twilights taking parts of the world that are deep inside the earth make sense, just because the influence of the Old Gods seems to be more powerful down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvan View Post
Anub'arak hated Ner'zhul. Hardly respected him.
Source, please?

I don't think we ever had the opportunity to hear his opinion on the subject.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Returning to Azjol-Nerub topic:

I think the Twilights taking parts of the world that are deep inside the earth make sense, just because the influence of the Old Gods seems to be more powerful down there.

Source, please?

I don't think we ever had the opportunity to hear his opinion on the subject.
I think he's taking it from the "Agreed implies choice" statement in the Naxx trailer. I'm never going to be truly happy with their use of Sindragosa as Arthas' big bad instead of his more well known "Majordomo" but things such as they are I'd prefer to see the big beetle find some semblance of rest than be thrust back into the cycle once more for nostalgia purposes alone.

The Spider King has reached a final rest
His hoary husk a bitter blue
Crystals wreath his crownless head
In silent honor of broken due
And in the Empires endless reaches
A queen sheds but few tears
For children burden all her thoughts
The Traitor's brood so near

Replace Anub'arak with one of his brothers, a tragic tale of twins maybe, one in life and the other undeath and able to hear each other's woes throughout the decades of strife, and I'd be all for the proper return of Azjol'Nerub.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.