Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 07:25 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Barrow Deeps as a zone ideas

Next zone in the series (yeah, now it's a series) of as a zone ideas. This time, turn for the Barrow Deeps.

I'd include this zone as a Nightmare and Time related zone in the 4th expansion, involving the Old Gods and their imminent invasion of Azeroth (too).

ZONE DESCRIPTION

The caverns would have to get a new style, just because, well, W3's too generic for it; but that doesn't mean that pattern can't be followed.

The zone would be a giant cavern, like Azjol-nerub, but smaller. It would be mainly untouched by the civilization, and it would be home to a myriad of nocturnal sinister creatures, because unlike Azjol-Nerub, this zone hasn't any kind of illumination (Azjol-nerub has different plants and sources of light that give the zone illumination).

The place could work as a "zoo museum" of old ancient species that once inhabited Old Kalimdor and its ever-night forests.

The entrances to this zone could be located anywhere at North Kalimdor, but they should be focused around 3 points, each one corresponding to each of the 3 races having original settlements here.

FACTIONS LORE

The original civilized habitants of the zone would be:

Timbermaw Hold furbolgs: They would control most of the entrance and exit points. One would be located at the Timbermaw tunnels (there's already a closed wooden door leading down there) and the another one would be located at Azshara. Their capital would be located around this second entrance.

Night elf Watchers: The prison compound where Illidan was kept is in this zone, and while I don't think it's abandoned, I think it has some leadership problems, after Tyrande stormed out the place. The Watchers could be having problems with the growing number of hostile enemies in the zone, and could require help. I definitely don't want another "omg prisonbreak!!1!" instance, so I'd rather make the place something in the style of Argent Coliseum: choose a boss and kick his ass. The excuse could be that the fouled water is turning them insane or diseased, and we must end their suffering. They could make someone escape the prison via-tunnel, too. Anything but what we already got 3 times (Stockades, Arcatraz and Violet Hold). The watchers would be neutral, of course. They could have some night elves from Darnassus at their ranks, like a priestess or two, but they would remain neutral for the sake of their quest.

Dark trolls: Zul'??? would be located here, with an access to the outside or not, depending on the location. They could have an epic gate entrance somewhere, or they could just use small tunnels to travel in and out. Whatever, they would be in there. I don't have ideas for anything related to them. The only thing I could associate to them are the loas, who could get explanations about their relationship with the Old Gods and the ancients. We don't know anything about their past, so they could have built a pretty good city down there and later have it abandoned or something. Or they could have a savage civilization, secluded from the rest of the world, with a pretty good population. Just imagine the typical ruined abandoned city that is truly populated by more people than you can just see. Moria style, but with it being originally built by the dark trolls themselves. Of course, don't dare think these trolls could go on invasion or something. I'm pretty tired of that. I'd prefer a warrior-like race, that fights you just for fun. You must get them to work with you by punching their faces or something.

Aside from that, we'd have the original resting place of the druids of the fang, and, why not, the roots of Nordrassil could reach here, too.

PLOT

The zone's nature would be menaced by something, as would Nordrassil via its roots. Old Gods wouldn't be present physically here, but their presence should be noted as floating in the air, like a dark shadow watching over you.

We could meet a black dragon here, a currently sane one, that was left watching the depths looong ago, and that just got forgotten by everyone else. His power could be eventually primordial for the defeat of the Old Gods.

And, depending on the end of Cataclysm, we could see some "repercussion people" around, hidden here.

A Furbolg instance would actually be good an innovative, let us fight them in all their glory. Until now, their corruption has only cursed them with non-awesomeness. The dark trolls could help against them. Something like:

Dark trolls: You wanna da help, you give us something for it, mon!
Player: Ok, what do you want?
DT: ARENA FIGHT.
P: Oh, ok, you wanna me to kill your soldiers?
DT: Try killing 'em.

After you punch them again and again...

P: Ok, I've won, will you help me now?
DT: Of course, mon! We were going to help ya no matter what happened!
P: *facepalm*

Later when they are helping you...

DT: Remember those troll you defeated?
P: Yes... -_-
DT: I told you their lives weren't wasted! Behold now!

Dark trolls then proceed to summon the spirits of the fallen trolls, who virtually kick everyone's ass, and just get owned, for believing they were primitive stupid that were wasting their best warriors.

Respect the trolls, you douche!

Whatever, the Barrow Deeps zone would be a dark sinister place, where the dark things of the world end, chained or hiding. Dark, but not in a demon/old god sense, dark as the darkness of the savage nature at night.

And that's all. Thanks for reading, and I'm looking again forwards your comments .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Chimaera

well that got a little spammy near the end, but i like the idea of the dark trolls respect won instead of moving in and exterminating them. i was saddened by the lack of any drakkari willing to work with you (bar drakuru, and we all know how that one went)
However we should maybe have infighting within the watchers in absence of miev, maybe something to do with them being torn on the issue of their allegiance with the darnassian night elves after tyrande went through slaughtering them. or something like conquerer krenna was.

Last edited by Tabarax; 11-16-2009 at 09:36 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:59 AM

Elune

Yeah, well, examples are good for when you don't know how to describe something, even if they are spammy .

My point about their affiliation is that, well, the current leader of the night elf society slaughtered them. You're not welcoming her that easy. It's a big problem, considering the Watchers are the jailors of the night elf society; although they could have been already replaced after the Third War and the losing of that part of the territory.

I wouldn't see it impossible for Fandral to have them at her side, anyway. Califax could have been his friend or something, or they just see him as the enemy of their enemy.

I think that there are only 2 ways of repairing that mess:

1-Tyrande and/or the Sisterhood of Elune helps them in a way they get redeemed to their eyes.
2-Maiev returns, with a new personality, that helps them get a new goal in their life and be able to focus on their work once again. In this case, they would remain neutral, not attacking Darnassus, but neither playing as their allies.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-17-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Old 11-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Chimaera

im just sorta stumped on how to get the horde involved then. maybe just have them help the dark trolls and keep the watchers alliance only.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarax View Post
im just sorta stumped on how to get the horde involved then. maybe just have them help the dark trolls and keep the watchers alliance only.
Well, why should the Horde or the Alliance get involved at all?

I feel the style of the old zones (55 to 60) should return back. Leave Alliance and Horde focused around the PvP content, and give PvE its righteous place once again.

Neutral hubs back, please. Plaguelands and Southern Kalimdor had a great touch, free of Alliance and Horde forces; and still, there was military there.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Demon Hunter

Barrow Deeps implies druidism and the Emerald Dream (so, Nelf, Worgen, Tauren, and Troll all have a stake in what goes on there) Even if it's just the Cenarion Circle's Nelfs and Tauren, those two are sufficient to give reason to involve the rest of the Alliance and Horde. Involvement by association has always been sufficient for WoW. The Nelfs, Trolls, Gnomes and Tauren had absolutely no reason to be in Outland apart from their associations, and they each had only slightly more reason to be in Northrend.

I'm not sure that there should be a Watchers = Alliance, Dark Trolls = Horde polarity. I'd prefer both to be neutral.

The trolls did, after all, fight for the Nelfs at Hyjal (and I still dream about a unique faction consisting of Nelfs, Furbolg, Dark Trolls, and Keepers/dryads) Unless the Nelfs royally pissed them off in the last couple of years, why should they suddenly go Horde?

And the Watchers were attacked by Tyrande, the political leader of the Nelf race. Plus, their relatives Remulous and the Cenarians seem pretty friendly with the Horde. They're so concerned about their prisonguard task that they could be friendly to anyone, Alliance or Horde, offering assistance.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 PM

Mountain Giant

In regards to the Dark Troll/Watcher idea:

Why not make them a faction like the Oracles/Wolvar? Gaining rep with one group hurts the other. I like the idea of an inner conflict that isnt really faction specific.

Also, the Barrow Dens should probably have its entrance located in Moonglade; with its connection to the Dream and the tree, as well as it being a nice nuetral hub for the place. I always felt that Moonglade was underused and perhaps a new Cenarian faction could have a major influence in the zone.

The Timbermaw would obviously play a large role in the zone, dealing with their corruption. Maybe thats the ultimate goal in the zone? Trying to return the sentient creatures to their former glory. We've already seen Ursoc in Grizzly Hills. Ursol as a boss in an instance? Why is this particular bear twin corrupted in the first place? Alotta lore potential there.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:40 AM

Elune

Barrow Deeps as a zone.

During Warcraft III, the place was a huge system of caves, and inside there, we had Illidan's Prison and Druids of the Fang's lair.

So, Moongalde having an entrance? Nonsense :S.

Moonglade should be updated to something like they are going to add between Hinterlands and Eastern Plaguelands: a big neutral hub full of activity.

Also, Timbermaw tunnels will already have an entrance. If you go in-game to the crossroads of the 3 tunnels, and walk down, you'll see there's a tunnel blocked with a furbolg gate. Currently, it doesn't lead anywhere.

I think the Timbermaw could be elaborated here, leaving Timbermaw Hold as an instance, full of angry insane bears; now with a good explanation for them being so an easy target for corruption.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Mountain Giant

I know u were talking about a zone. I'm just saying that its located beneath Mt. Hyjal so there very well could be an entrance in Moonglade. I always just assumed that the Stormrage Barrow Dens by Lake Elune'ara would be expanded as an entrance to the Deeps. If not there then somewhere in Hyjal itself.