Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-02-2010, 12:31 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Caverns of Time as a zone ideas

After Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman and Demon Hunter starting zone, it's time for the fifth part of the series: Caverns of Time.

I'd include this zone as a Time related zone in the 4th expansion, involving the Old Gods and their imminent invasion of Azeroth (Azjol-Nerub and Barrow Deeps are supposed to be part of that expansion, too).

ZONE DESCRIPTION

Take a good pack of pieces of different times (pieces like the scenarios we played out at the instances) and stick them all together. This zone would basically be that. You could be in the middle of the War of the Three Hammers, and by walking a step enter the Troll Wars. One next to the other. Pieces of different times and locations, stick together as if time and place didn't matter, as if they had always been side by side.

The entire mess would be floating in the same space as the Caverns of Time are floating in. The different pieces would be stuck in the form of a sphere. The limits would be easily detectable: walls of purple stone for the less stuck ones, and overlapped terrain for those completely stuck. The walls would have windows, so you can travels through them, but be careful: finding a "window" in one of the upper levels could just give you a fall to the lower ones. Remember the sphere shape.

Some pieces could be completely upside down, and others could look like ships sank or crashed into other pieces; but most of the zones would be perfect perspective-wise.

The zone would be linked to the Caverns of Time, which should get a complete revamp to reflect the military activity. The instances would remain where they are, as pieces that haven't fall into the overlap. These new-shaped Caverns of Time would play as the major quest hub for the 4th expansion (yeah, no capital in these one, too). The bronzes could have built a gate to protect Azeroth from that mess going on inside, and to control who enters and exits; at least, mortals from the present time.

Was I talking about military? Oh, yeah.

FACTIONS LORE

There would be 3 major factions in this zone: the Bronze dragonflight, the forces of the Old God of Time and the Infinite dragonflight, each one fighting each other.

The mess would be the Old God's doing, somehow trying to destroy some events. Yeah, destroy. The Infinites try to build their own perfect world, but the Old God just wants to remove the concept of time from the surface of Azeroth. Something like this:

-Bronze dragonflight: Ordered time
-Infinite dragonflight: Chaotic time
-Old God of Time: No time

Aside from them, we would have the small factions of each piece, of course, but most of them would remain at their pieces. I say most, because some others would just start jumping from one zone to another.

You figure the mess, more or less. And all of it with those 2 big enemy forces trying to destroy you, of course. Ah, and Nozdormu is still on vacation. And no, don't expect the Alliance or the Horde helping; they will be busy fighting each other.

PLOT

Well, yeah, it's fun to mess up with time and create a giant battleground. Soridormi's face must be priceless. But everything has a reason; but first, let's explain the setting:

The infinites would have Nozdormu captured/enslaved from before the expansion, and they would be trying to capture/enslave the Old God as well, to get the complete control over the time. Meanwhile, they'll have a good time messing up with the time, and giving no end to the destruction the Old God wanted to provoke. Why end everything with a single blow, when you can hit it again and again forever?

The Old God just wants to destroy the past, the time or some particular events. Destroy, in one word. For that, "he" built a device back at his place at the normal world, and entered the domain of the Bronze dragonflight. Once in, he forced the pieces to move to a single place, like them being attracting by a magnet. That's why they overlapped. Once stuck, he'll neutralize everything, by messing the different pieces and creating a chain of events with a rather unpleasant result.

And of course, the bronze dragonflight wants to stop this. Did I say wanting is easier than actually doing? And there's when we join the scene.

But there's still something I haven't explained. The Old God could have targeted some pieces in purpose... now, what could those pieces be? The First War? the War of the Shifting Sands? the War of the Ancients? No. Some more years old.

A war 16,000 years old. A war where the entire world raised their swords, and fought each other, leaving the world in the border of destruction. A war that benefited the Old Gods.

A war that will repeat, only that this time, the forces are named Alliance and Horde. The War of the Gods (I have to give it some name for referencing's sake ). A war the Old Gods nearly won, cause there's always a third force waiting for the first two to destroy each other.

Via this zone, we'll learn what happened during that war. We'll live it. We'll pretty much experience it from the beginning to the aftermath, with the death of entire races and the birth of new ones, like the night elves'.

From this zone we'll learn a valuable lesson, and we'll learn about the past to avoid repeating the same mistakes made at the past. We'll learn how to defeat the Old Gods, and how to avoid the complete annihilation of each other. War's purpose isn't to destroy everything we love, is to fight for what we love (unless we love destruction, but, eh, those don't count ).

But, although most of the pieces would focus on the War of the Gods, and how it's repeating again, there will be pieces completely unrelated to it, too. Some of them would focus on hinting the future, the some way the War of the Gods was another version of the current conflict. The others could just be completely random.

Personally, I would love to see the battle between Aegwynn and Sargeras. It would hint to Azshara's renewed worship to the dark titan (in my personal vision, she will resurrect his avatar, and try to start a new Burning Legion invasion). We could get a small subzone at Northrend, too, just because it's cool to travel between the present and the past one for interaction. Other I would love to see is the War of the Three Hammers. With Moira having the son of Dagran, the dwarves could fall into a new similar conflict. Troll Wars would be great, too, linked with a, why not, retaking of Stromgarde. And the list goes on.

Well, if you expected it not to be a wall-text, that's because you haven't read the previous 4 parts xDDD. Thanks for reading, and, for a fifth time, I'm looking forward your opinions .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 01-02-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Old 01-17-2010, 12:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Interesting post Lon, let's start, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
ZONE DESCRIPTION

Take a good pack of pieces of different times (pieces like the scenarios we played out at the instances) and stick them all together. This zone would basically be that. You could be in the middle of the War of the Three Hammers, and by walking a step enter the Troll Wars. One next to the other. Pieces of different times and locations, stick together as if time and place didn't matter, as if they had always been side by side.

The entire mess would be floating in the same space as the Caverns of Time are floating in. The different pieces would be stuck in the form of a sphere. The limits would be easily detectable: walls of purple stone for the less stuck ones, and overlapped terrain for those completely stuck. The walls would have windows, so you can travels through them, but be careful: finding a "window" in one of the upper levels could just give you a fall to the lower ones. Remember the sphere shape.

Some pieces could be completely upside down, and others could look like ships sank or crashed into other pieces; but most of the zones would be perfect perspective-wise.

The zone would be linked to the Caverns of Time, which should get a complete revamp to reflect the military activity. The instances would remain where they are, as pieces that haven't fall into the overlap. These new-shaped Caverns of Time would play as the major quest hub for the 4th expansion (yeah, no capital in these one, too). The bronzes could have built a gate to protect Azeroth from that mess going on inside, and to control who enters and exits; at least, mortals from the present time.

Was I talking about military? Oh, yeah.
I liked the idea of a messy timeline, where every step you make in the zone takes you to another timeline. However, in my opinion, it would be better to set a time limit to change time. For example, our characters find themselves in the middle of the Troll wars, and they are brutally attacked by Troll NPC monsters. Then, 2 minutes later, the scenario changes into the War of the Ancients, where the hostile mobs that were Trolls before change into demon mobs, to match the timeline. 2 minutes later, the scenario would change into the War of the 3 hammers, where the hostile demon mobs would change into Black Iron Dwarves, and so on.

This could be done so that if, let's say, a warrior were tanking the attacks of a Forest Troll Warrior mob (from the Troll wars), when the time shift occurs, the Troll Warrior won't just disappear, but change into a mob that matches the current setting of the timeline, let's say a Dark Iron Dwarf warrior from the War of the Three Hammers. And when the time shift occurs (into, let's say the 3rd War where Arthas invaded Quel'Thalas), the mob would change into an Undead Ghoul, and so on.

It also would be interesting to hear voices and quotes from famous characters from the current timeline our characters are at. For example, when our characters at the 3rd War during Arthas' invasion of Dalaran, while still in that timeline, we can hear the voices of Arthas and Kel'Thuzard fighting with Antonidas, or simply hear reused audio files from the WC3 campaign (if Blizzard is feeling lazy -.-).

Quote:
FACTIONS LORE

There would be 3 major factions in this zone: the Bronze dragonflight, the forces of the Old God of Time and the Infinite dragonflight, each one fighting each other.

The mess would be the Old God's doing, somehow trying to destroy some events. Yeah, destroy. The Infinites try to build their own perfect world, but the Old God just wants to remove the concept of time from the surface of Azeroth. Something like this:

-Bronze dragonflight: Ordered time
-Infinite dragonflight: Chaotic time
-Old God of Time: No time

Aside from them, we would have the small factions of each piece, of course, but most of them would remain at their pieces. I say most, because some others would just start jumping from one zone to another.

You figure the mess, more or less. And all of it with those 2 big enemy forces trying to destroy you, of course. Ah, and Nozdormu is still on vacation. And no, don't expect the Alliance or the Horde helping; they will be busy fighting each other.
Interesting, I'd love to see another Old God involvement, and I love the idea of an Old God of time.

If I could write a little bit of fanfiction, I'd name the Old God of Time "Wak'Thu, the time consumer". Basically, he's a species of Old God who needs to consume pieces of timelines to sustain it's own life (that's right, consume. Eat. Old Gods are freaky alien life-forms from another planet, so it wouldn't be strange, at least for me, that some of them can actually eat time.). More info about "Wak'Thu" below.

Quote:
PLOT

Well, yeah, it's fun to mess up with time and create a giant battleground. Soridormi's face must be priceless. But everything has a reason; but first, let's explain the setting:

The infinites would have Nozdormu captured/enslaved from before the expansion, and they would be trying to capture/enslave the Old God as well, to get the complete control over the time. Meanwhile, they'll have a good time messing up with the time, and giving no end to the destruction the Old God wanted to provoke. Why end everything with a single blow, when you can hit it again and again forever?

The Old God just wants to destroy the past, the time or some particular events. Destroy, in one word. For that, "he" built a device back at his place at the normal world, and entered the domain of the Bronze dragonflight. Once in, he forced the pieces to move to a single place, like them being attracting by a magnet. That's why they overlapped. Once stuck, he'll neutralize everything, by messing the different pieces and creating a chain of events with a rather unpleasant result.

And of course, the bronze dragonflight wants to stop this. Did I say wanting is easier than actually doing? And there's when we join the scene.

But there's still something I haven't explained. The Old God could have targeted some pieces in purpose... now, what could those pieces be? The First War? the War of the Shifting Sands? the War of the Ancients? No. Some more years old.

A war 16,000 years old. A war where the entire world raised their swords, and fought each other, leaving the world in the border of destruction. A war that benefited the Old Gods.

A war that will repeat, only that this time, the forces are named Alliance and Horde. The War of the Gods (I have to give it some name for referencing's sake ). A war the Old Gods nearly won, cause there's always a third force waiting for the first two to destroy each other.

Via this zone, we'll learn what happened during that war. We'll live it. We'll pretty much experience it from the beginning to the aftermath, with the death of entire races and the birth of new ones, like the night elves'.

From this zone we'll learn a valuable lesson, and we'll learn about the past to avoid repeating the same mistakes made at the past. We'll learn how to defeat the Old Gods, and how to avoid the complete annihilation of each other. War's purpose isn't to destroy everything we love, is to fight for what we love (unless we love destruction, but, eh, those don't count ).

But, although most of the pieces would focus on the War of the Gods, and how it's repeating again, there will be pieces completely unrelated to it, too. Some of them would focus on hinting the future, the some way the War of the Gods was another version of the current conflict. The others could just be completely random.
That's a lot of stuff you wrote, Lon. Mind if I expand your theory about the lore a little bit?

Basically, the Old God Wak'Thu, the time consumer was a rare species among it's kind, because of it's power to travel between time and to consume pieces of the timeline. Because of that, the Titans thought that simply imprisoning Wak'Thu underground like the other Old Gods would not be enough from keeping it devouring time. So, they locked him somewhere in the Caverns of time, a special place (let's call it the Null Time Chamber) where the Old God would be trapped between past, present and future, and that it couldn't devour Azeroth's timeline anymore. The Titans assigned Nozdomu, the Bronze aspect of Time, to be Wak'Thu's personal jailor, and to keep it imprisoned for the rest of eternity.

Little did Nozdormu, or even the Titans know, that before Wak'Thu was imprisoned in the Null Time Chamber, he spawned a small creature from it's body to roam around the Caverns of Time. The tiny creature, no bigger than a human-sized tumb, devoured tiny bits, but hardly noticable pieces of the Azerothian timeline, thus sustaining Wak'Thu's life, albeit only barely.

Now, as Lon said, we could have the infinite Dragonflight kidnap Nozdormu. And without his jailor, Wak'Thu was finally freed from his prison, free to roam around the Caverns of Time consuming the Azerothian timeline. However, the Old God was not totally free yet, as the remaining Bronze Dragonflight, the infinite Dragonflight, and the adventurers of the Horde & Alliance are in constant struggle with him and his forces.

What do you think?

Last edited by Chef; 01-17-2010 at 12:46 AM..
Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Interesting post Lon, let's start, shall we?
Yeah! Thanks for replying, man. I thought no one cared about this topic anymore .

Quote:
I liked the idea of a messy timeline, where every step you make in the zone takes you to another timeline. However, in my opinion, it would be better to set a time limit to change time. For example, our characters find themselves in the middle of the Troll wars, and they are brutally attacked by Troll NPC monsters. Then, 2 minutes later, the scenario changes into the War of the Ancients, where the hostile mobs that were Trolls before change into demon mobs, to match the timeline. 2 minutes later, the scenario would change into the War of the 3 hammers, where the hostile demon mobs would change into Black Iron Dwarves, and so on.

This could be done so that if, let's say, a warrior were tanking the attacks of a Forest Troll Warrior mob (from the Troll wars), when the time shift occurs, the Troll Warrior won't just disappear, but change into a mob that matches the current setting of the timeline, let's say a Dark Iron Dwarf warrior from the War of the Three Hammers. And when the time shift occurs (into, let's say the 3rd War where Arthas invaded Quel'Thalas), the mob would change into an Undead Ghoul, and so on.

It also would be interesting to hear voices and quotes from famous characters from the current timeline our characters are at. For example, when our characters at the 3rd War during Arthas' invasion of Dalaran, while still in that timeline, we can hear the voices of Arthas and Kel'Thuzard fighting with Antonidas, or simply hear reused audio files from the WC3 campaign (if Blizzard is feeling lazy -.-).
It's a good idea, although I think it's too messy. Phasing would do it without problem, but I fear it would have to process too much information.

My idea is that there are different pockets of different ages. You can stay at one, and then walk off it and jump to another one. Think of Outland floating rock chunks, each one with a different age.

It's like someone had a box full of Azeroths of different times, and took a small piece of each one, and then built a new Azeroth, caring not about age or location.

Also, by your idea, I can't make factions of different times fight each other, cause, for example, if that someone took a piece of land where there was an army of trolls running into battle, these trolls will suddenly appear surrounded by a weird world, and I really doubt they would stay at their chunk instead of jumping to others to reclaim them or find their way back home.

Quote:
Interesting, I'd love to see another Old God involvement, and I love the idea of an Old God of time.

If I could write a little bit of fanfiction, I'd name the Old God of Time "Wak'Thu, the time consumer". Basically, he's a species of Old God who needs to consume pieces of timelines to sustain it's own life (that's right, consume. Eat. Old Gods are freaky alien life-forms from another planet, so it wouldn't be strange, at least for me, that some of them can actually eat time.). More info about "Wak'Thu" below.
My idea for his appearance is a mess of gears, rotating over themselves, with the flesh of the Old God being small pockets at the core.

Quote:
That's a lot of stuff you wrote, Lon. Mind if I expand your theory about the lore a little bit?

Basically, the Old God Wak'Thu, the time consumer was a rare species among it's kind, because of it's power to travel between time and to consume pieces of the timeline. Because of that, the Titans thought that simply imprisoning Wak'Thu underground like the other Old Gods would not be enough from keeping it devouring time. So, they locked him somewhere in the Caverns of time, a special place (let's call it the Null Time Chamber) where the Old God would be trapped between past, present and future, and that it couldn't devour Azeroth's timeline anymore. The Titans assigned Nozdomu, the Bronze aspect of Time, to be Wak'Thu's personal jailor, and to keep it imprisoned for the rest of eternity.

Little did Nozdormu, or even the Titans know, that before Wak'Thu was imprisoned in the Null Time Chamber, he spawned a small creature from it's body to roam around the Caverns of Time. The tiny creature, no bigger than a human-sized tumb, devoured tiny bits, but hardly noticable pieces of the Azerothian timeline, thus sustaining Wak'Thu's life, albeit only barely.

Now, as Lon said, we could have the infinite Dragonflight kidnap Nozdormu. And without his jailor, Wak'Thu was finally freed from his prison, free to roam around the Caverns of Time consuming the Azerothian timeline. However, the Old God was not totally free yet, as the remaining Bronze Dragonflight, the infinite Dragonflight, and the adventurers of the Horde & Alliance are in constant struggle with him and his forces.

What do you think?
It's a nice idea. I had him imprisoned below Tirisfal Grove (another zone for my 4th expansion idea) and his forces would be around that zone, building great armies out of time to spawn them at Azeroth, and even building fake timelines to replace the existing ones and make things easier for them.

As for the Infinite Nozdormu, I have a couple of theories about him, but the latest one I like more is that Nozdormu himself created him, so he could defeat the Old God of Time. Whether the current Nozdormu is aware of it or not, that I haven't decided yet.

Other theories include Infinite Nozdormu being something like a brother or old comrade to Nozdormu, spawned naturally as a reflect of himself, or that just became Infinite by who knows whatever reason. They wouldn't have acted for fear, respect or something towards Nozdormu, but now he would have let them do what they want, thus their desire to change the timeline.

The possibilities are many, but the result is the same: he's unrelated to the Old God, and he's its enemy.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~