Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Default Racial plot lines and where they stand

The original World Of Warcraft Manual and the racial introductory speeches gave a bit of the back story and current happenings of each race. I know it is basic lore, but has it been fulfilled? How much has it been touched upon? I'll do a review:

Humans:

Their main racial story was about Stormwind. The comic pretty much resolved it. The king was found, and Onyxia's plans were foiled. I still do not know what the "distant battlefields" that were mentioned in the intro speech are. Silithus? And they still need to kill the orcs.

Dwarves:

They will go from instance to vague instance trying to find out about where dwarves came from. Not titanic history, just dwarf origins. The Halls of Origination should continue this trend. The dark irons are dead. Grim Batol may hold some new personal problem for them (like the Skardyn).

Gnomes:

Their plot ended with Gnomeregan. Sad, but true. They build neat things, but that is just support for other plots.

I used to think that Sicco Thermaplugg let the Dark Iron Ambassador give some gnomish technology to Golem Lord Argelmach in the Manufactory (which is filled with normal gnomes for some reason), in exchange for the dark irons letting the troggs out of Uldaman and into Gnomeregan. That would have extended to plot to Blackrock Depths. The RPG gives different reasons for these things, and this connection is not made in-game.

Night Elves:

They have a bunch of plot left. Teldrassil is still corrupted, and Malfurion Stormrage is still lost in the Dream. Stormrage had better touch on this, as he is up and well in Cataclysm.

Draenei:

They still need to kill the Legion.

Orcs:

They still need to kill the Legion too. And kill the humans.

Tauren:

Magatha Grimtotem still needs to die.

Trolls:

Their plot ended when they killed Zalazane. Yeah. Well, it beats their tribe becoming a raid.

Undead:

Their plot will likely end when the Lich King dies.

Blood Elves:

They had a big one. They went to Outland to join Kael'thas, only to find from the Scryers the Kaelthas had gone insane. The pilgrims on Hellfire Peninsula seem so hopeful, but the pilgrims that got to Kael'thas were given minor mining jobs. Kael was working for the Legion, and needed to be stopped. Kael'thas dies, and the Sunwell is restored. Silvermoon needs to be updated.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited by Revenant; 01-19-2010 at 06:39 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Sentinel Queen

They never did clarify what mystical forces drove Zalazane mad and the Sea Witch is still alive.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM

Elune

Blood Elves still need a king!
Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM

The Digger

Humans: They really have no plot of their own, they're basically just the "designated alliance guys" now.

Dwarves: They DO have a story in the form of a succession crises from Moira's child, but that doesn't involve killing mobs, so we've probably seen the last of it.

Gnomes: I disagree with you here very much, as we've heard hints that we may be performing an assault on Gnomeregan.

Dreanei: Yeah, pretty much If Blizz ever stops pretending they don't exist.

Night Elves: In addition to what you've said, there' s still the power struggle between Whisperwind and Staghelm.

Orcs: Funnily enough they're pretty much the one group who's story has actually gotten more complex going into Wrath. Before this expansion all they really had was the manifest destiny complex they had going on in Kalimdor, but now they have a power struggle and a culture war on their hands.

Trolls:Alas, their mighty battle against a level 11 mob has born no fruit, so unless we hear something new they shall be doomed to be squatters in Ogrimmar forevermore.

Tauren: In addition to Magatha, if the change in leadership happens as have been predicted, we may be seeing much more out of them. Whether that will be from increased involvement with the horde due to being given preferential treatment, or a bit of rebellion due to Garrosh being a twat is anyone's guess.

Blood Elves: Their story is pretty much resolved as near as I can tell, by this point they're really just around to stand there and look pretty.

Undead: While killing Arthas is their big "thing", they'll have an interesting plot after he's dead when they encounter an interesting existential crisis in the form of their lives now having no meaning.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Elune

I'd like to know if any Humans have converted to the Mystery of the Makers since the Human <- Vrykul link was discovered, myself. The Church is in theory a pretty powerful institution, but it might have its base shaken up by that and the Ulduar discoveries.

Last edited by Fordragon; 01-19-2010 at 06:02 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 06:09 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I'd like to know if any Humans have converted to the Mystery of the Makers since the Human <- Vrykul link was discovered, myself. The Church is in theory a pretty powerful institution, but it might have its base shaken up by that and the Ulduar discoveries.
It would probably in a slightly different way from how the dwarves went about it. Since the Explorer's League first learned of their origins via titanic technology, and they've had the chance to all with the earthen, there's a certain mysticism about the whole thing. Humans, on the other hand, were introduced to their heritage when it tried to kill them. And then, in the process of learning about the exact nature of the link they found out that this attempt to slaughter them was only the latest in a series. So, if humans as a whole do start to get into titan worship, it will take a rather different tack than what the dwarves have experienced.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:48 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
They never did clarify what mystical forces drove Zalazane mad and the Sea Witch is still alive.
Are the Lost Isles the Darkspear Islands? I read that, but it may be bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
Dwarves: They DO have a story in the form of a succession crises from Moira's child, but that doesn't involve killing mobs, so we've probably seen the last of it.
True. Sad, but likely.

Quote:
Gnomes: I disagree with you here very much, as we've heard hints that we may be performing an assault on Gnomeregan.
Was not that part of MMO Champion's bull?

Quote:
Night Elves: In addition to what you've said, there' s still the power struggle between Whisperwind and Staghelm.
Yeah, I forgot that. In my head I lumped it in with Malfurion's unwakingness because I blame Staghelm.

Quote:
Orcs: Funnily enough they're pretty much the one group who's story has actually gotten more complex going into Wrath. Before this expansion all they really had was the manifest destiny complex they had going on in Kalimdor, but now they have a power struggle and a culture war on their hands.
True.

Quote:
Tauren: In addition to Magatha, if the change in leadership happens as have been predicted, we may be seeing much more out of them. Whether that will be from increased involvement with the horde due to being given preferential treatment, or a bit of rebellion due to Garrosh being a twat is anyone's guess.
I still take any unconfirmed information for MMO Champion as likely fake.

Quote:
Undead: While killing Arthas is their big "thing", they'll have an interesting plot after he's dead when they encounter an interesting existential crisis in the form of their lives now having no meaning.
A quest where you mope around?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I heard it from a podcast that's affiliated with a British gaming magazine, by way of wow.com

Quote:
I still take any unconfirmed information for MMO Champion as likely fake.
I take it as one of the possibilities, unconfirmed but worthy of discussion.

Quote:
A quest where you mope around?
I was thinking of something more along the lines of "Bring me twenty razor blades".
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
The thing is, discovering their Vrykul-based origins and such isn't all that likely to "shake up" anything in the Church of the Light because unlike real-world religions, it makes to claims pertaining t the origins of its followers and doesn't set itself up as the sole path of redemption to the exclusion of all others (except when individuals like the Scarlet Crusaders misappropriate its teachings). If anything, the revelations in Northrend might reaffirm the faith of many humans when they see that in becoming human they changed from the warmongering, bloodthirsty Vrykul into reasoned, compassionate followers of the Light and its teachings.

Really, even the whole "Mystery of the Makers" thing is kind of silly when portrayed as some sort of alternative religion, because the Church of the Light has never been said to truly deny the validity of other faiths, so there's really no reason whatsoever that a druid, shaman or devotee of the Titans couldn't also be a firm adherent of the Holy Light. There's no particularly solid basis for why dwarves who become reverent of the Titans would chuck the whole Light thing in the process because the core of the Church's teachings (along with the similar interpretations of the Draenei) is that in some measure the Light exists within and throughout all things; to a follower of the Light, that would include the Titans.

Last edited by ARM3481; 01-19-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Elune

Quote:

It's been mentioned in both the magazine and PC gamer that Gnomeregan may be re-taken and that the trolls may get something.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
I think so if Path of the Titans is any indication. Or is that not "lore"?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:31 PM

Warden

Every race has access to that, how is it specific to Humans?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
Every race has access to that, how is it specific to Humans?
It isn't. But the question was "I'd like to know if any Humans have converted to the Mystery of the Makers since the Human <- Vrykul link was discovered, myself." Since humans are part of the "every race" I mentioned the Path of the Titans which is supposed to be like following a cult of <name of titan>.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The thing is, discovering their Vrykul-based origins and such isn't all that likely to "shake up" anything in the Church of the Light because unlike real-world religions, it makes to claims pertaining t the origins of its followers and doesn't set itself up as the sole path of redemption to the exclusion of all others (except when individuals like the Scarlet Crusaders misappropriate its teachings). If anything, the revelations in Northrend might reaffirm the faith of many humans when they see that in becoming human they changed from the warmongering, bloodthirsty Vrykul into reasoned, compassionate followers of the Light and its teachings.

Really, even the whole "Mystery of the Makers" thing is kind of silly when portrayed as some sort of alternative religion, because the Church of the Light has never been said to truly deny the validity of other faiths, so there's really no reason whatsoever that a druid, shaman or devotee of the Titans couldn't also be a firm adherent of the Holy Light. There's no particularly solid basis for why dwarves who become reverent of the Titans would chuck the whole Light thing in the process because the core of the Church's teachings (along with the similar interpretations of the Draenei) is that in some measure the Light exists within and throughout all things; to a follower of the Light, that would include the Titans.
Belief that it exists? Sure. Having it be a central point of your spiritual life, though... well, usually people only have room in their life for one set of rules on how to show respect to your invisible avenger.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Belief that it exists? Sure. Having it be a central point of your spiritual life, though... well, usually people only have room in their life for one set of rules on how to show respect to your invisible avenger.
They are describing the Path of the Titans as following a "cult of <name of titan>" though. Following a cult sounds like a central part of your life. I am not sure why they are even using the word "cult". Cult is a negative thing in modern society and even in WoW.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 AM

The Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
They are describing the Path of the Titans as following a "cult of <name of titan>" though. Following a cult sounds like a central part of your life. I am not sure why they are even using the word "cult". Cult is a negative thing in modern society and even in WoW.
While there may very well be humans within the varied titanic cults, it will most likely not become a major human religion. With the dwarves, worship of the titans is starting to actually edge out worship of the light in prominence, which would probably not happen with humans. There are humans who worship demons on Azeroth too, but that doesn't mean that the blanket statement of "Humans worship demons" would have any merit whatsoever.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
While there may very well be humans within the varied titanic cults, it will most likely not become a major human religion. With the dwarves, worship of the titans is starting to actually edge out worship of the light in prominence, which would probably not happen with humans. There are humans who worship demons on Azeroth too, but that doesn't mean that the blanket statement of "Humans worship demons" would have any merit whatsoever.
As a major religion probably not. I thought the question was have if any Humans have converted to the Mystery of the Makers which will be yes soon.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

Sentinel Queen

Perhaps since the Dwarves have already learned a great deal about their heritage, and since the world's gone to hell with Deathwing wrecking up the place and the Horde and Alliance at each-other's throats...perhaps the dwarves will shift their industries back towards mining and smithing in order to combat Deathwing at their doorstep and the Horde abroad?

Run. Think. Shoot. Live.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:42 PM
hiru

I never got the need for the Gnomes to reclaim Gnomeregan.
It kind of goes against their scientist and inventing nature to go sit all depressed in Ironforge after all this time.
Gnomeregan was a failed experiment. They should start project Gnomeregan 2.0

Besides that plots dont die, they evolve.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiru View Post
It kind of goes against their scientist and inventing nature to go sit all depressed in Ironforge after all this time.

Gnomeregan was a little more than an experiment.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM

Elune

You mean Tinker Town isn't good enough for the Gnomes?
Old 01-20-2010, 08:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiru View Post

There are still gnomes trapped in the city. I don't think they are going to abandon them.

Has anyone noticed that they are able to turn mechagnomes back into gnomes but are having trouble turning leper gnomes back into gnomes?
Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You mean Tinker Town isn't good enough for the Gnomes?
There's no room for their TV. They dropped like 9,000 gold on one of those new TVs that's all 3-D and what have you and there's nowhere to put it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Eternal

Humans: Well besides the war with the Horde and the Burning Legion, they still have to reclaim Stormgrade. They still need to route out the Brotherhood and the Syndicate. And if we are going way down the line when Anduin is King, well he seems like the type who likes to meddle in the other races' affairs so he might be "advising" the other races on how to handle their problems.

Dwarves: Like people said there is the succession problem. Maybe Magni will abdicate his thrown to Thargas Anvilmar like the Anvilmars did with the Bronzebeards. What will happen to Dark-iron Bronzebeard? Also will they retain their worship of the Light now that they discovered their Titan heritage?

Draenei: They're so new that I think that there's plenty of room to expand upon them. What role will shamanism take in their society? Will they have as much political clout as the Light Believers? Who will take the reigns once Velen dies. Will they try to reintegrate the Broken tribes back into their society?

Night Elves: Uh... Emerald Dream...and anything to do with it? They're kind of boring : /. I guess there might be increased hostilities with the Kalimdor Horde too so they'll probably continue that. Might have some cultural disputes with the Tauren about adding light philosophies into Elune doctrine.

Gnomes: Depends. With the intro of gnome priests I wonder if they will have a cultural revolution like the Dwarves and integrate the Light as their main religion. Blizz can choose to continue their vandetta with Troggs if that doesn't get resolved. They could also be medical researchers to cure their sick bretheren from the radiation poisoning and any poisons or toxins that the Forsaken come up with it.

High Elves: I have no idea what their deal is. They just don't like Blood Elves and that's all I know.

Last edited by Sports72Xtrm; 01-21-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Loremaster

Here is where I see some of it going for Cataclysm.

Orcs - The original story of the orcs was trying to find a place in the world. All the quests kind of represent clearing out the rest of Durotar. Now, the story seems like it will shift more to the fact the Horde is grounded, stable, and strong. The story of Garrosh will instead be the driving point, the animosity of his ascension, the pilgrimage (and return) of Thrall, basically the building of an internal civil war. We will find many orcs happy, and many unhappy, with the events of the time.

Tauren - With the death (or absence) of Cairne, Magatha will make her move to claim power over all the tribes. However, her attempt will be thwarted by Baine, who will take the place of his father as the Chieften. Baine will banish Magatha from Thunderbluff, forcing her to find sanctuary somewhere else. She ends up finding that place in Orgrimmar. Garrosh makes her his advisor, and her Grimtotem become entrenched with the other defense forces of the city. This strains the relations between Thunderbluff and Orgrimmar, but the two remain allies out of necessity, with the Alliance literally pushing it's way to the doorstep of Mulgore.

Trolls - They never had a story, but this will be the best time to really start giving them one. Expand Sen'jin and make it, at the very least, a regular town. Vol'jin will be leading from the city, and will be one of Garrosh's main dissidents after being kicked out of the city in the interests of appointing Magatha. Due to the unrest, the Trolls and Tauren (Thunderbluff) will grow stronger, with places like Crossroads gaining a much larger troll presence. They still ally with Garrosh out of loyalty to Thrall, hoping that he will set things right when he returns.

Not really sure on the others just this yet.