Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

For me it sounded as if Ner'zhul's voice said the last bit...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
Yeah, well, to the very last moment I clung to the non-existent hope that this whole "Lavaman=Bolvar=New Lich King" theory wouldn't turn up to be true but I guess this should have been expected. Despite this ending has been predicted hundreds of times by hundreds of people, I was still disappointed. I mean really, for a villain that's been basically larger than life this was the most disappointing ending (predictability aside). It didn't feel... epic at all. Arthas reverted to his good self, despite all the shit he did as a remorseless death knight, Terenas seemed to kind of forgive him and the whole scene was so "generic", "stereotypical" and "scripted". And where did Bolvar suddenly pop up from? Was he sitting on the frozen throne all along watching the heroes battle the Lich King and Tirion didn't seem to notice him up until he called his name? Wasn't Bolvar supposed to be chained and badly beaten and exhausted by the tortures and then he's suddenly on the frozen throne "Hai gyuze ima be the new Lich King".

And btw, did you notice how Bolvar went into "hibernation" at the end, repeating the cycle again? I mean, when did the bad shit start happening? That's right, after the Lich King awoke from his slumber.
I doubt Bolvar just appeared in the cinematic and is likely a key part of the encounter itself just like Tirion. I would imagine Ner'zhul started fighting for control pretty quickly also since it's pretty clear he is still around.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Really Blizzard? Really? Tirion may not tell anyone about the 2nd Lich King?
Oh yes, didn't you know? Azeroth maintains a simply sterling track record when it comes to keeping the general public ignorant of the status of this-or-that potentially world threatening menace right up until it invades and starts flattening townships, butchering families and poisoning the planet.

Er...wait...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:09 PM

Ranger

Quote:

And btw, did you notice how Bolvar went into "hibernation" at the end, repeating the cycle again? I mean, when did the bad shit start happening? That's right, after the Lich King awoke from his slumber.
this brings the possiblity that the Scourge may turn out like the Horde did. Similarly to what the Horde did with the Warlocks the Scourge may take out the Cult of the Damned.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:12 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmstophe View Post
Still, question remains: was Arthas "redeemed?"
I'd say no, there was no real sympathy for him and he himself said said he saw only darkness before he died.
Compared to how people normally see a light at the end of the tunnel, this could also be used as a hint to him being redeemed or not.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Oh yes, didn't you know? Azeroth maintains a simply sterling track record when it comes to keeping the general public ignorant of the status of this-or-that potentially world threatening menace right up until it invades and starts flattening townships, butchering families and poisoning the planet.

Er...wait...
Well Arm my man, what i mean is... Tirion needs to tell the big guns. Ebon Blade. Argent Crusade. I mean the Tirisfal Council kept the world save with their Guardians. I think Tirion needs to ask a grave burden for the Argent Crusade and Ebon Blade really, since now they merged to that 1 faction aswell! :p
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Eternal

I really hope he is not redeemed.

While I do not like purely evil characters a la Sauron copies, redemption is used way to many times these days.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:15 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The verdict was only a temporary merger intended to spearhead an attack on ICC. After that, the two factions will probably go their separate ways.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:23 PM

Loremaster

The more I listen to it, the more I notice a interesting pattern.

Before and directly after putting on the helm, his voice is of a twisted Bolvar. However, as the ice begins to engulf his body, the voice changes, gains the echo and sounds very similar to Arthas while he was the Lich King, that same sort of deep dark, yet cool tone that he sounded like taunting us all those times in Northrend.

Then after becoming totally locked in ice, a final disembodied voice appears that is unlike either before it, a deep, guttural, almost growling voice. A voice, that reminds me very much of an orc, more then a human.

That voice then slowly mixes back in with the others, a finally chorus of voices telling Tirion never to return.

Opinions?

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 02-01-2010 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 03:25 PM

Owl Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post

Before and directly after putting on the helm, his voice is of a twisted Bolvar. However, as the ice begins to engulf his body, the voice changes, gains the echo and sounds very similar to Arthas while he was the Lich King, that same sort of deep dark, yet cool tone that he sounded like taunting us all those times in Northrend.

Then after becoming totally locked in ice, a final voice appears that is unlike either before it, a deep, guttural, almost growling voice. A voice, that reminds me very much of an orc, more then a human.

That voice then slowly mixes back in with the others, a finally chorus of voices telling Tirion never to return.

Opinions?
Ner'Zhul's influence is my guess. I don't think it's much more than that to be honest.

Eternal

And that "Arthas reverting to his good self" scene didn't make any fucking sense? Remember that single moment in the book where his ultimately evil side finally takes over? Yeah, that one, where his stabs his "humanity" along with Ner'zhul and sends them to hell while proclaiming himself the Undisputed King of Evil? Yes that same scene that undoubtedly shows us that Arthas forsake his final vestiges of humanity, doomed to eternal damnation in a place where only darkness dwells. I think that scene made it pretty clear that Arthas became evil with no chance of going back, and then at the end he's like: "Uh where am I? What happened? Oh look, it's myself again, I'm not evil anymore, IT'S A FREAKING MIRACLE!!!" That fucking moment was fucking ridiculous and fucking didn't make any sense at all!!!

Last edited by Gortrash; 02-01-2010 at 03:29 PM..

Elune

Quote:

Then after becoming totally locked in ice, a final disembodied voice appears that is unlike either before it, a deep, guttural, almost growling voice. A voice, that reminds me very much of an orc, more then a human.

Opinions?
It's likely the effect of the 'merging' entities.

Arch-Druid

See my post last post Scythe^^

EDIT: Ninja'd :O
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

Opinions?
Personally, I hope so.

I've been speaking with a friend of mine, a fellow writer and Warcraft fan, who says that since Bolvar is the new LK the alliance should be able to command the scourge. I said that rather than controlling the scourge, I honestly think Bolvar will be there to lock Ner'zhul in stalemate.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 PM

Arch-Druid

i think bolvar is fighting ner'zhul for control. he'll sleep for a while, fight some mind-games with him (and dear god i hope he loses, or ner'zhull will come out as more of a loser then he already is)
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Wisp

Quote:

Opinions?
I think it's just the process of Bolvar fusing with the helm and the last voice was just him finishing the process. Arthas voice was very similar when it was only Arthas the Lich King, and when they took his helm off his voice went to being his human voice again.

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
See my post last post Scythe^^

EDIT: Ninja'd
Ya, kind of skipped over a few posts because I was busy listening to the video while writing. It really does sound like Ner'zhul will be heard from again.

Quote:
I think it's just the process of Bolvar fusing with the helm and the last voice was just him finishing the process. Arthas voice was very similar when it was only Arthas the Lich King, and when they took his helm off his voice went to being his human voice again.
It is, but realize. The first voice is just Bolvar, the second voice is the "Lich King" as we have heard him through all of WOTLK with the echo. The third voice, however, is not the same as the others, and it appears for a bit WITHOUT the echo that was occuring a few seconds earlier. It was a clear sound, an individual, before merging after with the LAST two voices. Three entirely different voices basically occur.

Last edited by ScytheRexx; 02-01-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Elune

That's most likely it, yeah. If it was the other way around, and we killed Ner'zhul and someone else needed to turn into a ghost and control the weak-willed Arthas, Bolvar could probably do that. But Ner'zhul is much more formidable mentally, and so Bolvar will only be able to fight him for containment, not suborn him.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Arch-Druid

Now I want a picture of mind-Bolvar playing chess or cards against mind-Ner'zhul...
Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Slowpokeking

I felt a little conspiracy?

How did the spirit of Uther and Terenas know there must be a Lich King?

The Lich King, simply put Bolvar there, just to turn him, or planned to let him become the Lich King?

Why did the helm fall from Arthas' head? Looks like the Lich King did not lose much power, just changed a body.

Looks like it was the power of the Lich King made Arthas evil, then it could do the same thing to Bovlar.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Owl Scout

Does anyone know how Boub came into possession of this trailer? If it was in 3.3, why wasn't this posted earlier?

3.3.2 won't be up until tomorrow so shouldn't he have no resource to datamine the trailer from?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Ranger

umm with Frostmourne shattered.... Ner'zhul is released. hmm this brings up the fact that Ner'zhul will one day return. This time he will mold Bolvar.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
Now I want a picture of mind-Bolvar playing chess or cards against mind-Ner'zhul...
Bolvar: Got any fives?

Ner'zhul: Foolish paladin! How long do you think you can hold me back!? It is only a matter of time before I turn you into another pawn--as I did with the "Noble" Prince!

Bolvar:...I said you got any fives?

Ner'zhul: Go fish...

Run. Think. Shoot. Live.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
And that "Arthas reverting to his good self" scene didn't make any fucking sense? Remember that single moment in the book where his ultimately evil side finally takes over? Yeah, that one, where his stabs his "humanity" along with Ner'zhul and sends them to hell while proclaiming himself the Undisputed King of Evil? Yes that same scene that undoubtedly shows us that Arthas forsake his final vestiges of humanity, doomed to eternal damnation in a place where only darkness dwells. I think that scene made it pretty clear that Arthas became evil with no chance of going back, and then at the end he's like: "Uh where am I? What happened? Oh look, it's myself again, I'm not evil anymore, IT'S A FREAKING MIRACLE!!!" That fucking moment was fucking ridiculous and fucking didn't make any sense at all!!!
I doubt we should even consider RoTLK as canon, it just made Jaina into a crybaby, made Arthas' into a jerk, the ending is a god damn mindfcuk because it seems Blizzard just couldn't decide what to ultimately do with Lich King. Early WoTLK was all about Arthas himself being an evil bastard and since 3.3 they made him more and more into a sympathic person.

Not to mention most people haven't read the book, so yeah i vounch that it's not considered canon! :p Ignorance at it's finest!
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedJump View Post
I'd say no, there was no real sympathy for him and he himself said said he saw only darkness before he died.
Compared to how people normally see a light at the end of the tunnel, this could also be used as a hint to him being redeemed or not.
Why did his voice and face and eyes turn normal, though? Weird choice by Blizz.