Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default Landscapes WoW is still missing

So yeah, the world of Warcraft has dozens of awesome landscapes, from lush forests to dry deserts and from cold mountains to eerie marshes.

But still, do you feel WoW is missing some particular landscapes? Any suggestion for future "zones"?

I have some, here go two:

Great canyon

A great canyon. Just like the Grand Canyon of Colorado River. A good place for it, imo, is east of Burning Steppes. There's a peninsula of sorts north of Swamp of Sorrows that could work as the ending of the canyon, that could start past Redridge Mountains and Badlands, south of the to-be-implemented Twilight Highlands.

Archipelago of beaches

A series of islands and wide beaches, and by islands I mean small islands. Like if you took all the subzones of a normal zone and make each of them a small island. This particular zone would require water mounts, because you'd be forced to travel across water from one isle to another. Inspiration comes from a mix of Halong Bay and wide beaches. As for its location, I would aim for tropical, but I don't know where to place it. East of Stranglethorn? Plunder Isle? Pandaria? no idea.

Well, any ideas or suggestions?

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-26-2010, 01:14 PM

Elune

Wouldn't Thousand Needles play the part of the Grand Canyon.

Archipelago's would probably be in a more Maelstrom themed expansion such as the next one if Azshara is next.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Eternal

Hmm, I though Thousand Needles already plays the role of Grand Canyon of WoW as the whole zone is basically one big canyon.

As for tropical islands... I dunno, doesn't the game already have plenty of those? Off the coast of STV, Echo Isles, Strand of the Ancients and soon Lost Isles.

Last edited by Gortrash; 06-26-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Archipelago's would probably be in a more Maelstrom themed expansion such as the next one if Azshara is next.
Yet the Maelstrom will be in Cataclysm...

I think 'archipelago' is covered by the Echo Isles and the islands north of Theramore. Southern STV may also count. And with Cataclysm giving us even more islands, I think it is covered well and good.

But no, Lon-ami wants a whole zone with this little idea that he thought of.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
You would know, wouldn't you?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gortrash View Post
You would know, wouldn't you?
Would you? They made a big deal about Deathwing coming from there, and they are keeping is as just a drawing on the map?
Old 06-26-2010, 01:36 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Would you? They made a big deal about Deathwing coming from there, and they are keeping is as just a drawing on the map?
They didn't make "a big deal" of it, it was mentioned by one Blizzard employee in 1 interview, nothing more. Other than that mention that Deathwing pops out from the Maelstrom, nothing even hints at possible inclusion of the Maelstrom in-game yet.

Yet you proceed to tell us that "The Maelstrom will be in Cataclysm" like you know for sure...
Old 06-26-2010, 02:08 PM

Eternal

1. A zone completly made of metal, like the Titans HQ. And then like 25% of the zone would be completly made of flesh.

2. An Asian theme zone (Pandaria) with bamboo forests etc.

3. A zone that is a series of floating islands in the sky. Perhaps in a Twisting Nether like expansion.

4. An "Icelandic" themed zone. Like plains, snow, geysirs mixed with volcanos and glaciars.

5. A huge city that is actually a whole zone. I imagine perhaps when we visit the Ethereals homeworld K'aresh, their whole planet is a city that is being consumed by the Void.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:13 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
They didn't make "a big deal" of it, it was mentioned by one Blizzard employee in 1 interview, nothing more. Other than that mention that Deathwing pops out from the Maelstrom, nothing even hints at possible inclusion of the Maelstrom in-game yet.

Yet you proceed to tell us that "The Maelstrom will be in Cataclysm" like you know for sure...
Fine. Fans made a big deal about one little tidbit. Based on your eye-rolling, I take it that it is in Cataclysm? Or are you mocking me for being wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
1. A zone completly made of metal, like the Titans HQ.
I've imagined their homeworld as a giant city ever since Ulduar came out.

Quote:
And then like 25% of the zone would be completly made of flesh.
Lolwut?! From the Old Gods? Because that does not say 'titan' to me.

Quote:
3. A zone that is a series of floating islands in the sky. Perhaps in a Twisting Nether like expansion.
Netherstorm tried.

Quote:
5. A huge city that is actually a whole zone.
Zul'drak tried.

Last edited by Revenant; 06-26-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Fine. Fans made a big deal about one little tidbit. Based on your eye-rolling, I take it that it is in Cataclysm? Or are you mocking me for being wrong?
No, not at all. I was just wondering why you mention something that hasn't even been proven/hinted at and make it seem like you know it for a fact instead of saying "I think/believe Maelstrom might be in Cataclysm", that's all.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:36 PM

Eternal

Let's just say that the chances of a Maelstrom expansion... is not so high.

Yeah, the flesh part would come from Old God corruption. Perhaps the Titans of the Pantheon would be affected by the Curse of Flesh and become raid bosses or in a bizarre twist, Aman'thul is or becomes the leader or new host of the Old Gods.

It wouldn't be like Netherstorm. Not in space. It would be a beautiful zone surroanded by clouds.

Zul'drak doesn't really feel like a city for me.
My "city zone" would feel much more like an actual city and be a bit more technological (Ethereal).
Old 06-26-2010, 02:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
I've imagined their homeworld as a giant city ever since Ulduar came out.
As have I. I get the impression of something akin to Marvel’s old Asgard, Jack Kirby style futuristic.

I’ve always figured that when the Titan returned for their scheduled “revisitation,” if there was an expansion centered around it then it would essentially have an enormous “craft” that is their city come and float over Azeroth. It would be large and diverse enough for several zones.

As for landscapes, I always wanted a zone where you are essentially in space - like on the surface of the moon. Not just a weird nether sky like in outland, but just blackness and stars. Lack of atmosphere be damned for cool visuals.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Eternal

Quote:
It wouldn't be like Netherstorm. Not in space. It would be a beautiful zone surroanded by clouds.
Nagrand already achieved that feeling for me and soon we'll have Skywall which is literally a zone in the clouds where we'll use flying mounts to fly from 1 platform to the other.

Quote:
Zul'drak doesn't really feel like a city for me.
Somehow Zul'drak always gave me the impression of a well built city with levels, temples, aqueducts, fields and whatnot.

Quote:
My "city zone" would feel much more like an actual city and be a bit more technological (Ethereal).
Kezan comes to mind.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 PM

Elune

So many points to address:

1: I don't consider Thousand Needles a canyon like the Grand Canyon. It's, basically, a dry river, and the erosion it has is produced by air, not water. Also, it doesn't have levels: the bottom isn't in a slope. Whatever, I don't consider the "canyon" role well enough played yet.

2: My archipelago-zone idea, as pointed by Revenant, is to have a zone made of dozens of small islands. There's nothing like that yet.

3: I remember that metal-zone idea of yours, Roblore. On the change a zone thread, wasn't it? You chose Badlands, if I'm not wrong. Whatever, I think Deepholm already covers that "rough pure minerals" theme, so I don't know.

4: Iceland, tundras and taigas are already covered by Northrend. Yeah, they aren't zones in their own, but their elements are portrayed across the different regions of Northrend.

5: By isles floating in the sky, I guess you mean isles floating vertically aside from horizontally. If not, Netherstorm is already there, although you could mean something like my archipelago idea but with void instead of water, which is what I suspect. Something like Avatar's Pandora's floating isles, then?

6: The "city" zone is a pretty good idea, although I suspect Kezan could fill that role, if the rest of the isle is the same as what is available in Cataclysm. Whatever, a city is like a jungle, and playing through a jungle of skyscrappers would be awesome. Perhaps a spaceship-world instead of a simple city, although that idea would fit more titans that ethereals. Taking city at planet for ethereal and spaceship-planet for titans would be ok for me.

That's all, I think .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 PM

Eternal

I always thought pandaria should be, as someone said, a bamboo forest. But not an ordinary one. Huge bamboo, big around as oaks and hundreds of feet tall. The pandaren would live on round platforms surrounding the bamboo trunks connected by rope bridges. Has a very misty, green aura to it with gray rocks mostly covered by lots of deep green moss on the ground. And perhaps in some areas, the large carst pinnacles like you see in southern China.
The mirror is warm and perfect, the reflection has no warbles, the form stays true when you move. But as Harry gazes, the mirror activates his magic eye to reveal a secret image. 'Oh, my God! Could it be? Are those my parents?' Harry asks. Harry knows they are dead, but could Heaven be here in this cold, cold reflection? The parents seem to animate and respond, 'This is Heaven's entrance.' His mother, she is beautiful. The guy, he seems pretty cool, too. He reaches out to feel the blue face of his world's perimeter. He wonders what it would be like, what it would have been, if these people would have remained. Harry feels his trapezius along in time with his mother. 'This is mine', they both say in scary, scary unison.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Elune

Quote:

I'm sure you'll know he's actually right sooner or later.

Anyways, on topic, I'd like... A overly magical fairytale forest.

You know, like something from Alice in Wonderland / A midsummer nights dream.

The plane Lorwynn from Magic The Gathering would be pretty close.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 PM

Elune

Quote:

I think 'archipelago' is covered by the Echo Isles and the islands north of Theramore. Southern STV may also count. And with Cataclysm giving us even more islands, I think it is covered well and good.

But no, Lon-ami wants a whole zone with this little idea that he thought of.
Just because Deathwing came out of the Maelstrom doesn't mean we wouldn't have a expansion about the areas AROUND it such as Nazjatar. We know we won't be fighting Azshara in this expansion and so a more island themed expansion for her is perfect. Maybe we could find out where Kul Tiras walked away too now that Vashj'ir is there (if they don't go with 'lol it sunk').
Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 PM

Elune

Upside-down Karazhan. An instance I guess, not really a zone. How about a whole zone of quicksand.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:08 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I'm sure you'll know he's actually right sooner or later.

Anyways, on topic, I'd like... A overly magical fairytale forest.

You know, like something from Alice in Wonderland / A midsummer nights dream.

The plane Lorwynn from Magic The Gathering would be pretty close.

Pretty god one. We have a ton of forests already, but something faerie-style, something classic, is still missing. And no, Eversong doesn't fill that role properly.

Actually, I think a forest like that would be great for a zone at Pandaria.

As for some others ideas, guess what, I had one from a Magic card, too. It's from one resource: plains. In most of the different editions, they appear as white-yellow-beige grass fields near the coast, with clouds that let sun rays through.

I don't know how that terrain is called, but it's easy to be found in the delta of big rivers, and they are places where sea water and river water meet, full of different fauna and flora. One of those hilly places, full of grass moving by the wind, would be great for a zone. Add a good white-sand beach with some dunes and that would give it a good coast, too.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 AM

Keeper of the Grove

I think Ashenvale was Blizz's take on the faerie forest type. Those screens just scream Ashenvale to me.

At least before the Warsong cut half of it down that is.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 AM

Elune

I think Ashenvale is a bit too dark and nocturnal (in a beautiful way) to be considered fairy-tale esque. I doubt we'll ever see a real fairytale forest in Azeroth, it'd probably be somewhere in the Emerald Dream or so.

@Lon: Sounds alot like swedish beaches to me. There's grass and slopes which suddenly turn into sand with the ocean a stonethrow away.

Or do you mean something like this?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiol View Post
I think Ashenvale was Blizz's take on the faerie forest type. Those screens just scream Ashenvale to me.
Crystalsong forest could also serve as a faerie forest, it even has mobs fitting the theme (living trees, the faerie-like frost nymphs and crystal dryads).

Personally, I'ld like to something post-apocalyptic, heavy metal type of place (like the areas in Brütal Legend). I really missed an area like that in Northrend, Icecrown fitted it the most, but seemed to lack the chaotic feeling.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
I think Ashenvale is a bit too dark and nocturnal (in a beautiful way) to be considered fairy-tale esque. I doubt we'll ever see a real fairytale forest in Azeroth, it'd probably be somewhere in the Emerald Dream or so.
This. Take Ashenvale, replace the huge trees by smaller ones and let the sun enlighten the glades and groves.

I don't think it fits for the Emerald Dream. Pandaria would be a good place, imo.

Quote:
@Lon: Sounds alot like swedish beaches to me. There's grass and slopes which suddenly turn into sand with the ocean a stonethrow away.

Or do you mean something like this?

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/P...ara/ALA231.jpg
Perhaps, dunno, I've never seen beaches from there :S. And no, it's not that plains. I'm speaking about white-beige fields, with small patches of sand. Like a big huge beach-like zone that goes inland. I don't remember the exact cards, but I think you can imagine it, more or less.

But yeah, probably similar to those Swedish beaches .

Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Maybe steppe, savanna or heath?

And I couldn't really find a Plains that fit your description, but you could look for yourself^^