Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
My only problem with expansion-crafting at this stage is that any effort put into trying to predict the next one could very easily be wrong. Look at when Wrath was near release, I'd be fairly certain in saying that nobody was able to predict that Deathwing was going to team up with the Elemental Lords and break Azeroth. That was a total curve-ball that nobody saw coming. So that's why I think people should be careful about getting too involved with making their own dream expansion, there's a good chance that most of the predictions will be wrong to at least some degree.
Well, it's always fun to theorycraft. Also, anything you do, from fanfic to ideas, will end up being outdated. You've to think positively, and think about the present.

And in case you love your ideas too much, you will always be able to remake them. For example, most of my ideas of this thread were from a idea before Cataclysm, so yes, they got outdated, but I recycled them, removing some things and adding new ones.

Quote:
I dunno, I might try and throw in my ideas later but I'll have to see if I can motivate myself to do it.
I'll be looking forward it .

(The "bad" part about Azshara expansion is that most of us coincide in the zones and the plot, because it's the only remaining "known continent")

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Curveballs? Yeah.

"Outland Expansion" - Most of Outland is not barren, Kael joined the Legion, and Outland is mostly solid. Well, it defined what an expansion was... so this one is a bit hard.

"Northrend Expansion" - Malygos is evil now, there is an army of rogue titan creations made of iron, and the Lich King builds everything out of an Old God's blood.

"Elemental Plane Expansion" - Takes place mostly on Azeroth, Deathwing is behind the invasion, and two of the elemental lords are good.
The Green Shirt Guy: Hello. I have- I just finished reading stuff yesterday... and I noticed something. It said that Kul Tiras was going to be in the Alliance, but in the beta it's gone, and Kul Tiras is not in the game at all. What happened to it?

Chris Metzen: Isn't Kul Tiras burning in slag? ...from, uh, Blood of Our Fathers? ...No?

The Green Shirt Guy: No, it survived, and, in fact, it is- was around off-screen in vanilla WoW and through Wrath of the Lich King.

Chris Metzen: Right, of course. Uh. Yeah, Fargo, what's up with that?
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Elune

Outland wasn't predictable because we never knew nothing about it, only bits from W2 and W3 that weren't solid enough.

Northrend was completely expectable, and followed the "good guys turn evil" pattern we all were joking about going to happen.

Cataclysm was expectable in part. Lore-wise, it was, but gameplay-wise, a revamp "this" soon was a surprise, as well as a distancing from the 2 previous expansion models of new continent. As for the lack of capital city and use of original ones, it was expectable in part.

But yeah, I don't know of anyone that ever thought Deathwing could get this kind of relationship with the elementals, not even when it makes a lot of sense (supposing he has a relationship to the plane, in the same way Ysera has with the Emerald Dream).

I think Cataclysm will be the model for the next expansions, that's why I ask people to follow it when building theirs. As for new big lore stuff like Outland, I don't expect anything soon, not when we already have plots that use a relationship with the old world.

The future surprises will come in the form of new mechanics, imo, at least until we start to get to space. Add to that that Blizzard (seems to) wants to slightly introduce everything before making it go live (I wouldn't be surprised if we got some book around Azshara and other plotlines that have potential for expansions way before those expansions go live).

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Elune

Well, if no one's going to post more ideas, then we can start voting for the next expansion theorycrafting.

I'll give a time for those that still could want to post something (looking at you, Sarahmoo ).

Old 11-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Elune

Default Vote in process

Well, it seems South Seas is over. Let's start a new voting:

3p: Infinite dragonflight
2p: Emerald Nightmare
1p: Pantheon

Current votes:

-Time expansion: 3+2+2+3 = 10
-Emerald Dream: 2+3+3 = 8
-South Seas: not available this round
-Pantheon: 1+1 = 2
-Burning Legion: 1+2 = 3
-Pandaria: 1 = 1

Remember, to vote choose 3, and give them points depending of which one you like more (3p for the one you like the most, 2p for the one you like too but not as much, and 1p for the one you like a bit).

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-26-2010 at 02:49 AM..
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

1 - Emerald Dream/Nightmare
2 - Expansion with new zones placed in old continents a la Cataclysm
3 - Pandaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

What do people mean by a "Pantheon Expansion"? An expansion where we fight against the Titan Pantheon?
The Shaman walks up to a hamburger cart and tells The Vendor Make me one with everything. The Shaman gets their meal, chews it down and hands the cook a few gold and then waits for their money back. Several minutes pass with nothing happening and the Shaman asks where was their change? The Vendor replies Change only comes from within.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM

Arch-Druid

3p: Emerald Nightmare (Fight N'zoth)
2p: The Infinite Dragonflight ( would be interesting to see how that works)
1p: The Burning Legion (Argus!)
Old 11-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Elune

Voting post updated: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...064#post249064

Quote:
What do people mean by a "Pantheon Expansion"? An expansion where we fight against the Titan Pantheon?
Yeah, pretty much.

Anyway, if you still feel like posting something about South Seas, you still have time, just be quick before we have enough votes to start the next one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
2 - Expansion with new zones placed in old continents a la Cataclysm
Both Emerald Dream and Old Gods could fill that one. Since you already voted ED, I'm giving those points to Time. Reply if you want to change it (or add a new theme to the existing list).

Last edited by Lon-ami; 11-25-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 09:32 PM

Eternal

3p: Infinite Dragonflight/Time expansion
2p: Burning Legion expansion
1p: Pantheon/Titan expansion
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Voting post updated: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...064#post249064

Yeah, pretty much.

Anyway, if you still feel like posting something about South Seas, you still have time, just be quick before we have enough votes to start the next one .

Both Emerald Dream and Old Gods could fill that one. Since you already voted ED, I'm giving those points to Time. Reply if you want to change it (or add a new theme to the existing list).
Definitely not Time. Might as well put it in Old God.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 11-25-2010, 10:32 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
My idea for a Pantheon/Titan Expansion is the Pantheon returning to help us fight Sargeras, who would be the overriding villain of the Titan themed Expansion.

I find that to be the most viable setup from a storyline and game development perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
3p: Infinite Dragonflight/Time expansion
I'm fairly certain the Nozdormu/Infinite storyline is going to get wrapped up in patch 4.2 in the War of the Ancient raid or raids.

Last edited by Nuke1096; 11-25-2010 at 10:34 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 02:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
Definitely not Time. Might as well put it in Old God.
Ah, well, I consider Old Gods and Time the same expansion .

The Infinite dragonflight would be like the blue dragonflight for the Old Gods instead of the Lich King, imo.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Ah, well, I consider Old Gods and Time the same expansion .

The Infinite dragonflight would be like the blue dragonflight for the Old Gods instead of the Lich King, imo.
That's your vision, but not my vision and not necessarily the vision of others. I don't think this collaborative process should be categorized by what a single person's vision is, do you?

Quote:
Old 11-26-2010, 01:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's your vision, but not my vision and not necessarily the vision of others. I don't think this collaborative process should be categorized by what a single person's vision is, do you?
Err...

Quote:
Reply if you want to change it (or add a new theme to the existing list).
Name of the new theme, Old Gods?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Druid of the Talon

For me personally I just want rap up the old gods/titan story, the emerald dream, and south seas (maelstrem/Asarha(cp))
Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 AM

Elune

Bump.

Time expansion is winning, but I think we all have different concepts for it, so maybe, we should go for Emerald Dream, and I'll add another separate idea with Old Gods, leaving the possibility of working it out without the Infinite dragonflight (although I strongly believe they'll appear in the same expansion because anti-Time Old God).

So, Emerald Dream? Any objection?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

Eternal

Works for me since we will end up getting to most of these ideas eventually.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:

So, Emerald Dream? Any objection?
None from me. It was my number one vote after all.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2010, 11:43 AM

Elune

Default Starting a new theorycrafting: Emerald Dream and the Nightmare

Second expansion theorycrafting round goes for Emerald Dream and the Nightmare.

Feel free to start posting your ideas .

Old 12-09-2010, 01:41 PM

Hippogryph

Quote:
Second expansion theorycrafting round goes for Emerald Dream and the Nightmare.

Feel free to start posting your ideas .
Well i'd like to see an Emerald Dream described like in "Shadows of the Nightmare" (Part I & Part II) on Lorecrafted.com, i liked the idea about the Druids of the Thorn and the gigantic ancient-like colissi.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

The emerald nightmare starts bleeding into the waking world, so the Cenarion circle and the Green flight call for aid and move to suppress the Old God minions tainting the dream, while also using the healthy parts of the dream to try and heal parts of the world damaged by Cataclysm.

In addittion to the portals set up by the Circle, the factions also create their own portals and explore their own ends in the dream in order to make up for the damage that's been done by the nightmare to the waking world.

Alliance portals are made by Sprite dragons while the Horde uses captured Grell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Old 12-12-2010, 05:58 AM

Elune

I think a Cataclysm treatment is the best way to go (make the Emerald Nightmare infest some real world zones we didn't visit before).

I had some written descriptions for each zone around, I'll post them later .

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Huntress

Every time I think of Emerald Dream I imagine it would have light/dark world mechanics like Legend of Zelda: a Link to the past.
For example you stand in Elewyn Forest, you use an item/spell, and you end up in the pre-sundering equivalent of Elewyn Forest. Of course recreating the entire world again is not something Blizzard will do. :p Still they could use the light/dark world mechanics in instances, could be interesting.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Elune

The option I prefer the most is that the nightmare has spread out again. Everything is Nightmare, except the "core" of the Emerald Dream, the zone where we play.

As for the portals, their ED side could be still untouched, and being defended so the Nightmare doesn't trespass into Azeroth like the last time. Some of them could have fallen, and we'd see Nightmare surrounding it in both sides.

In that sense, they would act as mini-zones, special quest hubs or access to dungeons/raids.

The real deal against the Nightmare comes in the Emerald Dream and some "secluded" places where the forces of nightmare have been preparing their armies since the infiltration of the last time.

The layout would be this one:

-Z1A: Great Canyon of Khaz Modan
-Z1B: Tel Abmi
-Z2: Uldaman Conservatory
-Z3: Heart of the Dreamer
-Z4: Depths of the Nightmare
-ZC: Husk of the Lost Isles
-ZD: Kelp Abyss

Description of the main 5 zones from an older post:

Quote:
Great Canyon of Khaz Modan (1-2)

New zone east of Burning Steppes. It's basically the Azerothian version of the Grand Canyon of Colorado. It stretches up from Twilight Highlands down to the coast of Swamp of Sorrows.

The zone has a lot of vertical gameplay, with plateaus, cornices and fissures. This rough terrain is home to dried bushes, eagles and small critters. There's rams, too, jumping from cliff to cliff.

This zone houses the original home of the black dragonflight, a lair that's been abandoned since the War of the Ancients, making it, probably, the last remnant of what once Neltharion's flight was.

But the biggest mystery in this zone is the deep cave system, from where the river that shapes this zone originates. A series of never-ending tunnels that, as the legends speak, takes to a subterranean world where ancient creatures roam, unaware of the upper lands.

The objective of the nightmare forces in this lifeless land is unknown. Their dark minions hide in the landscape, and the dead trees walk the old valley, apparently searching something.

Tel Abim (1-2)

The famous isle of the Tel Abim banana, lying far southeast the coasts of Kalimdor. This zone is a lush tropical jungle, with a lot of exotic plants and fruits. Its remote location has isolated it from the rest of the world; until now.

The forces of the Nightmare have invaded the isle, transforming it into an overgrown aberration of psychopath walking plants. Everything from the plants to the insects have grown in epic proportions, dire showdown of what awaits the rest of Azeroth shall the nightmare succeed.

However, confusion is the reaction. No matter how dire the situation, the isle is at the middle of nowhere, and there's no way the dangers there could attack anything across the sea.

Even the Alliance and Horde forces, trying to claim the sovereignty of the place since some months ago, watch the growing aberration safely from their boats off-coast, firing over the creatures at the coast for fun.

It's deep in the jungle where the real intentions of the Nightmare lie. There, in the inner valleys, the satyrs nurture fields of thousands and thousand of spores that, shall they mature and fly away to further lands, would extend the plague that already infests Tel Abim.

Uldaman Conservatory (3)

A new zone, Eastern Kingdoms counterpart to Un'Goro Crater and Sholazar Basin; with a radical difference: it's underground, below Khaz Modan. With Uldaman in ruins, the only entrance lies deep in the caverns of the Great Canyon.

Protected from the outer world, the zone is a haven of extinct creatures. It has a completely prehistoric environment, including a small sea, both lighted by a fiery orb hanging from the highest part of the cupola.

It's there, in the sky of stone, where the heart of the titan city of Uldaman lies. Hidden temples and libraries, the last chapter of the legacy of the makers, that wasn't found in any of the excavations at Badlands. Secrets that go beyond anything found before, secrets of the very creation of this world.

No one knows what awaits deep there, neither in the prehistoric forest nor in the city above. As legends told, it's a world inside the world. The dangers and knowledge that holds are a terrible weapon.

A weapon the nightmare forces are trying to obtain no matter the cost. If they reclaim the secrets, Azeroth could be doomed forever, for evidences point the very architectural plans of the world, the Emerald Dream and the key of life itself lie inside the conservatory of the titans.

The Heart of the Dreamer (4)

The heart of the Emerald Dream, the heart of the life of Azeroth, home for Ysera and her green dragonflight. This part of the dreamlands is unique, and hasn't any possible equivalent in the real world, for it's built of the perfect balance and the dream themselves.

Lush forests and bloomed fields of flowers lit the landscape, where different creatures live in peace and various races build their homes, in harmony with the nature.

In the center of this perfect land lies the Eye of Ysera, the fortress of the green dragonflight and their queen. Parts of the structure still show the marks of the latest attempts of invasion, just before the Cataclysm, that nearly managed to shatter the dimension. Since then, the defenses of the whole zone were empowered, holding back the nightmare forces for this second invasion.

However, the queen of the green dragonflight, Ysera, has fallen ill once again. Protected in her lair, her dragonflight watchs over her and try to find a cure for her latest disease. With the nightmare forces out of the barrier that protects the zone, Ysera's health endangers the shields of the zone, and the only thing that prevents the Nightmare from invading the Heart of the Dreamer.

The Nightmare won't stop, not until the zone is shrouded in darkness and everything inside it falls into insanity and dementia, for when it does, Azeroth will crumble, and the Old Gods will be victorious.

Depths of the Nightmare (5)

Beyond the Rift of Aln lies a dark world, closed to existence until that very rift shattered its imprisonment and left it open. The realm of the Old God of Nightmares.

It's a twisted dark place, where the worst nightmares become true. A world of unspeakable horrors that rage to be freed upon the reality. The ultimate goal of the Nightmare is no other to free this realm over the world, destroying everything.

Between dark forests and fields of insects lie living citadels of pure evil, that spawn the nightmare armies that march against the Emerald Dream. If not stopped, Azeroth will be corrupted into a realm of this same nature.

Dreamform armies of mortals and flights of dragons already prepare at the other side, waiting to rush in, avenge their fallen and become the Old God's personal nightmare, ending with him and his minions.

If the threat is to be forever neutralized, this dimension must burn, and the Rift of Aln must be sealed away once again.

Expansion features

-Jumping mounts: these new type of mounts are able to leap big distances easily, making travel across all the new zones easier, even more when inside caves, where flying mounts are less effective.

-Dreamflying: the Heart of the Dreamer treats the players as if they were in an underwater zone, letting them "fly" like if they were swimming. Jumping mounts are specially effective in this "zero-gravity" environment.

-The Earthen Ward: the shamans of the Earthen Ring took the responsibility to guide the new black dragonflight back to their original path. Stationed at the original lair of the flight, they protect the few secrets that were left behind and teach the young drakes the path of the Earthwarder. The growing presence of the nightmare disturbs them, and they can't let it corrupt this land and its elements, not if the black dragonflight is to be saved. They act as a minor faction of the expansion.

-The Cenarion Circle: the druids of the Cenarion Circle, masters of nature and the dreaming arts, lead the charge against the enemy. Stationed across the different battlefields against the Nightmare, the druids and ancients, led by Malfurion Stormrage, will fight the Emerald Nightmare, sacrificing their lives if necessary to save this world from the impending doom. They act as the main neutral faction of the expansion.

-Triceratops mount: triceratops are awesome, and there are triceratops at Uldaman conservatory. Yes, I want a triceratops mount, and you want one, too, because triceratops are awesome.
Now some info on ZC and ZD (combat and daily zones):

-Husk of the Lost Isles would be the remnant of the Lost Isles, made a battleground off the coast of Kalimdor. Verticality would play a major role here, needing either flying or jumping mounts to travel around. The isle would be virtually tore to different chunks around a big water-full crater in the middle. The point of fighting for the zone would be the big abundance of minerals exposed by the isle going boom during Cataclysm.

-Kelp Abyss would be an underwater zone between Husk of the Lost Isles and Central Kalimdor. The place would be a deep abyss full of mad underwater plants and various sea monsters. The naga could have an abandoned laboratory of sorts down there, and we could fight their experiments.

Another concept I would like to see introduced are obstacles, like vegetation and darkness. You would need special items or mounts to clean your path and play normally, giving some more playability to the terrain and those items and mounts.