Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

Default Another Warcraft IV rumor (It's Fake)

There is no chance this is real but I wanted to post it because it is at least an interesting concept.

This was posted on a blog, someone found it on 4chan I guess and I read it from someone on MMOchump, here's word for word from the blog:

Quote:
First of all, I’m not asking you to believe any of this. I’m not going to give any proof about this for obvious reasons. Believe what you want, but if you really dislike this, voice your opinion. Even if it’s fake, well, you’ll make sure they don’t make this crap of a game.

“Oh, look, he’s the cool guy that acts as if we shouldn’t care so we care”

No.

If you are reading this, well, I guess you have some sort of interest, so here it goes. This is a concept, and concepts can change, and that’s why it’s important.

First of all, WarCraft 4 won’t be a “4″, it’s going to be a new franchise, but it will be a RTS. The main “problem” right now is that they don’t want a division around the eSports scene, so the WarCraft 3 approach isn’t valid, because it’s too similar to StarCraft 2. The company wants to make all their new generation franchises live for a long while, and genre overlap would make it difficult.

The gameplay is kind of “original”, I repeat it’s a concept and there’s isn’t a single line of code programmed out there (engine and art already have some). The main objective was to make the battles really epic, with huge numbers, and this became the core of the new concept.

Instead of single units, you have some sort of “regiments”. Units can still go alone, but squads are the way to go. Most units are summoned in groups of 4-2, then you can split and edit those groups, and make regiments of different units that support each other.

Another big difference is that you don’t select the enemy you want to attack, except with heroes, but I’ll elaborate on them later. Your regiments/squads/groups have a set of orders. This is supposed to give the feeling of you being a commander shouting orders to your troops. The orders are supposed to be very objective, like “attack ranged”, “push from center and surround the nearest flank”. There’s a lot of them, and you’ll need to learn them and use the shortcuts if you really want to be efficient. You can research new ones, too. When outside of danger, regiments act and move normally, like any other common sense RTS.

Heroes don’t change from the original, and they can join regiments, which gives them better control. If regiments are “troops you give orders to”, heroes and regiments with heroes are “troops you’re controlling”, like if you were the heroes and your orders were direct.

Buildings, thanks god, stay the same. When I started to read about the project, I thought they were ripping off Dawn of War 2, but they weren’t. Instead, they seem to be ripping off Battle Realms, an old game that, personally, I think is shit. I don’t understand why they love it so much, it’s awful.

What they’re copying from BR is the “civillian” resource. Yes, to train troops you need civillians. What the fuck, man. What’s next, having to carry food with your troops and let them sleep and rest? I thought this was WARcraft, not SIMScraft. Seriously. If squads weren’t shitty enough to control, now they’re shitty to create, too.

As for the defensive structures, there will be ramparts, towers and typical siege weapons, that work as regiments, too, but can merge with the ramparts for special bonuses. Normal infantry can merge with them, too. Their control is pretty much the same thing, with sets of orders. The fun part about this is that you actually need to patrol, your troops are so dumb they won’t attack the enemy, even if it’s in front of them, if you don’t tell them to. Back to WarCraft 1 and the 90′s.

I’m not sure, it may be a success, the new videogame of the decade, but being a “forced” change of gameplay, I don’t think so. WarCraft 3 was awesome, it’s my goddamn favorite game EVER. This isn’t WarCraft, this is some sort of Frankenstein made of parts from a silly oriental game, Total War series and the Sims. And yes, if it doesn’t look like that across what you’ve already read, I do hate it.

Well, the gameplay is awful, but still, the best thing about WarCraft games is their awesome story. Wait for it. Jaina? Thrall? Heroes everyone loves and knows?

No.

Instead we travel to some sort of prehistoric age no one ever heard from before (I checked wowpedia, and facepalmed). This age is supposed to be introduced with the 4th WoW expansion (explaining later) and a tie-in trilogy wrote by a Warhammer guy; yeah, let’s get an author that works for the most consistent lore ever! although I don’t think he’ll make worse than what we have now, WarCraft novels’ decadence started with War of the Ancients saga, and hasn’t recovered since then. Ironically, that saga was about the past, too.

As a die-hard Star Wars fan, I cried with the prequel trilogy. If you’re not a hardcore fan, I don’t expect you to understand it. This trilogy, because WarCraft “4″ will be a trilogy (yay for greed over quality), is just like that. There’s even a footnote saying “the story will be an awesome prequel, like Star Wars”. Imagine my face.

It’s supposed to happen in an age without elves, long before The Sundering (for you ignorants, the world of WarCraft was once a single continent, but the silly elves blew it up and now we have this place), with a huge war going on. The world has 2 superpowers: the humanoid-insect kingdom (Arab-Hindu-Egyptian-Buddhist-Indonesia) and the troll empire (Aztec-Japanesse-Maya-Inca-Voodoo). They’re supposed to mirror typical orc vs human setting. There was peace between them, but then, the Old Gods, monsters chained in the depths of the world (the same from WoW) managed to manipulate the dragons, warders of balance, and they reached these mortal races, whispering paranoias and making them distrust each other, until everything exploded.

Of course, mortal races have no idea about the existence of the Old Gods, whose real goal is to incapacitate everyone so they can escape their prison and rule the world unopposed.

Trolls and insects are the main factions, but together with them, there’s other minor races, that have joined one of the sides. We’re speaking of a complete world war here, with no neutral factions at all. In the insects’ side, we have tauren (mesopotamic-style and farmers instead of hunters), goblins (savage Africa-style crazy hordes that revere a volcano) and a new race of humanoid-cat-people that ride tigers with a deep oriental feeling (how original). In the trolls’ side, we have furbolgs (wood machines technology thing with mines), half-giants (I guess they’re the vrykul of WoW, it says they don’t change their theme) and tall-lizard-fish-people (cities over lakes and floating gardens, they have murloc labor).

Summarized: a completelly different universe. The few races that aren’t new are so drastically changed you wouldn’t recognize them anymore. I’m wondering why the hell they didn’t make this another new franchise or something, instead of forcing this shit all over WarCraft fans. The only good thing about it is the lack of elves, lol.

Some lines ago, I told you this game was supposed to be introduced with a WoW expansion. So, yeah, apparently this game is mostly a cheap excuse for new WoW bosses, races and background. I’m not well informed about it, but it seems that in the 4th expansion, we’ll fight the same Old Gods from “WC4″, each one having its own “element”, like death and entropy. One of the zones will be a “collage” of past events and locations, and they will focus around “WC4″ storyline and how “the races must unite to fight evil instead of fighting each other”. Yeah, cheesy as it gets. Some of this lore may get hinted at the WoW-1 movie, too, but I have no idea about what’s going on with that project so I can’t tell for sure.

So, well, it seems that’s all. What a long wall of text it’s been. This crap is what you get, but, know what’s worse of this? that you, bunch of fangirls, are going to buy it. It isn’t the companies those that are destroying this industry, it’s you, imbecile clients that buy crap and smile like idiots “OH LOOK MW2 IS THE AWESOMEST GAME EVER”. That’s bullshit, and you’ll only get more bullshit in exchange for it.

The companies are changing, and if you don’t start to react it will get worse, much more worse. The internal shitstorm with Real ID was only the tip of the iceberg, and blaming it to Activision won’t fix it. No one said a word, but there was a lot going on, and there’s still a lot going on, with forced delays and stupid little by little release schedules. But of course, you’ll get your shinny beta for Diablo 3 and you won’t care anymore (if they don’t delay it again, it should be released this very month, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they keep delaying it even more).

Now that’s all. If you are disgusted with this as much as I am, raise your voice, and you may get a real WarCraft 4, instead of this trashy wannabe RTS videogame complete with its own terrible Disney storyline.

End of transmission.
There's no way we are going to see a game with Bugs and Trolls as the main races, but what do you think of the gameplay concept. Would you want a Warcraft set in the past? Would Tauren really side with the Bugmen? Does Total Warcraft intrigue you?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Well... i won't lie you, but it would be great to see the ful battle between Trolls and Aqir... All that crazy thing of mesopotamian tauren and woodtech furbolg is not what i would prefer... I would prefer new races instead... :/ But i like the concept of this World War.

About gameplay mechanics, I like the concepts of ramaparts and other thinks of Battle for Middle Earth style. But, i prefer old loved warcraft mechanic.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

No. Warcraft III gameplay is even better than all the lore of the world. You can give me Troll vs Aqir wars, but if they take away the classic gameplay... Well, I MAD!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 AM

Ranger

Reminds me of the cata leak....
"Oh blizzard would never do that, , that's such a fake,that sounds so out there, it would suck"

Few weeks later...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Reminds me of the cata leak....
"Oh blizzard would never do that, , that's such a fake,that sounds so out there, it would suck"

Few weeks later...
Well the Aqir were supposed to want to wipe out all non insect life... so having tauren and such work with them doesnt make sense unless they were slaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 PM

Eternal

Only two factions in an RTS? Sounds like a step backwards...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM

Ranger

Yeah but everything in the cats rumour wasn't true either, so Idk
There wasn't an RTS project on the leaked plan but that doesn't really mean anything. Haha idk
Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sift View Post
Yeah but everything in the cats rumour wasn't true either, so Idk
There wasn't an RTS project on the leaked plan but that doesn't really mean anything. Haha idk
The issue here isn't so much that the material presented is questionable, which it totally is, but that the source itself is highly questionable. As much as I hate to admit it if Boub himself posted this it would be worth dissecting to try to sort the grains of truth out of the bullshit like the Cataclysm leak. But he didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Ranger

That's true...all I have to say is I really hope you're right
Old 02-10-2011, 06:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Is it bad if I like the idea?

The guy obviously views the whole thing, if it's real, negatively. And his bias leaks through quite a lot.

Seriously this would deliver a whole crapload of lore from the early history of warcraft.

I mean, the war between the Trolls and Aqir? We know nothing of that.

We know little enough about Troll civilization as well.

This sounds like it could be awesome. And the "prehistoric age" it refers to is already known about, if entirely undetailed.

If it's fake the guy is making an effort to appear like an ignorant douche bag. About something he would have to know if he made it up.

I mean seriously, bug men? Does anyone not know what Aqir are?
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Its not really the potential story we're taking issue with here. Well, not only that.

But personally I don't think the Aqir/Troll war should be detailed. Some conflicts are better left vague and undetailed. Its fun to have some mysteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Its not really the potential story we're taking issue with here. Well, not only that.

But personally I don't think the Aqir/Troll war should be detailed. Some conflicts are better left vague and undetailed. Its fun to have some mysteries.
speak for youself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sghAju4EM
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Also this isn't warcraft 4. This would be another game that takes place on Azeroth, but not a sequel. Therefore it could get by the World of Warcraft problem.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I think I already said it, but just in case, answering to Krakhed elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Ah, now that I look at it things seem more like they ripped you off then the other way around.

I was referring to this here: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=9559

But when I look at it, your thread came way earlier. You should be flattered, someone thought your ideas were worth stealing for a hoax.

That's always a good sign, isn't it?
I though I already said that was a 28th December prank, lol (31st April for Hispanic countries). There was a W4-focused blog project called Warcraft-esp.net (now dead) were I planned on writing lore stuff. I think Zula was interested, too. The project didn't go well because the guys in charge of making the site were too busy, and their main motivation was a W4 announcement for that BlizzCon (2010?), so they lost interest and I gave up remembering them to ready the place. Warcraft-Spain, a popular W3 ladder site, died during those days, too, probably because of SC2.

I showed them some of my lore ideas, and wrote some articles (with saving them for a future in mind). We had some nice quantity of material to update frequently, with lore-for-noobs by me, and WoW tactics by others, as well as other random stuff. They liked a "Warcraft: Origins" idea I had (pretty old W3 mod idea, I don't even know if I posted it here EDIT: Seems I did mention it) as well as my 16k war ideas, and they mixed them a bit. I oversaw the prank, but the version they posted has stupid shit like cat people and fish people I didn't want in, but whatever. Also, Battle Realms comparison made me facepalm.

In the end, the w-esp guys wanted to do too much, and they needed more people to help with the code, when they didn't even put enough effort by themselves. Also, they were blind with W4 being announced soon, when it was obvious it wouldn't.

In case you're wondering, I've participated in 3 other fakes: "World of Warcraft: Hour of Twilight", trolling friends that were annoying me with that stupid Vengeance of the Void fake being a real leak (they even posted it around like they had discovered the cure to cancer, to be automatically humiliated, proving them not to trust stupid leaks ever again xD), and then other two December 28th pranks for D3 you've probably not heard about because they were in Spanish: angel class and talisman featured in the official site, both revealed to be pranks in the 29th (and they were bad on purpose to laugh at those who believed it even more, I mean, you must be blind not to see they're fakes xDDD).

So yeah, in some sense, they decided to copy me to make the fake, lol (guess it's good). But anyway, anyone with basic google skills will search the main stuff of the "leak", and find it directs to my ideas here and at WoWPedia, proving it to be a rip-off leak, so I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to use my ideas (or anyone's else) as a fake for more than some hours' prank. Well, it's not like 99% of the WoW leaks have been epic fails easily detectable with a first glance.

PS: Sorry, I guess >_<.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 03-29-2012 at 05:23 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Why the fuck did you necro this? Not only was it completely unwarranted but you did it for pointless self promotion. You'd better believe that's an assing.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Self-promotion aside, it's not a bad idea to do a breakdown/critique of the storytelling that was being designed. Might help new kids with their own ideas. Lon, care to elaborate on where you were going (assuming you were serious) with the storyline?

The Mad Admin
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: MayhemInc#2519

Before reading Lon's post I was gonna say that much of the lore fits in perfectly with our own speculations, too perfectly if you ask me. As if it was made by a fan who like us wants to make as many things fit in as possible.

And then lo and behold!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Before reading Lon's post I was gonna say that much of the lore fits in perfectly with our own speculations, too perfectly if you ask me. As if it was made by a fan who like us wants to make as many things fit in as possible.

And then lo and behold!
Did they add your ideas as well? They only took Origins and Old Kalimdor ideas from me. Do you have any cat/fish race ideas? I don't know where they took that from, they probably just made it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Self-promotion aside, it's not a bad idea to do a breakdown/critique of the storytelling that was being designed. Might help new kids with their own ideas. Lon, care to elaborate on where you were going (assuming you were serious) with the storyline?
Warcraft: Origins was a remake of the 4 W3 races, with 4 short big-map campaigns (instead of making various maps, we made a huge one breaking the size limit into 480x480 (limit is 256x256)).

The maps where War of the Ancients, War of the Shifting Sands, Troll Wars and 16k war. The races were multisubrace, and easy to skin out to one specific subrace. I had tech trees, mirroring the existing race's balance as much as I could (Don't expect to find them online because the mod site is dead since ages ago, but I must have a copy of the entire forum
if you want to see the units that made the tech trees).

Night elves were roman-greek style, and used the humans as the base. Nothing to do with current Nelves. Trolls used orcs as the base, and usual troll stuff based on aztec/mayan/incan empires. Aqir were mostly qiraji+nerubian (didn't have my aqir ideas back then). They used the undead as the base, and their buildings were pretty cool, replacing those bone fingers with insect fingers like those at silithid hives. Finally, Burning Legion was the weakest design-wise. Used Nelves as base, having mechanic buildings. Most of the units were just the creeps of TFT with new stats, with only a few new unit models.

This was made during TBC times, so the nerubian were mostly W3-based, with no WotLK references at all. Lore was pretty basic, too, undeveloped and not too deep.

As I said, in a normal map the races were multisubrace, but at the campaign maps, they were a single subrace. For example, during Troll Wars, night elves turned into ancient high elves and trolls into forest trolls.

I got bored and left it, lol. I still have the Southern Kalimdor terrain map around, copied piece to piece from WoW. I started to make Battle for Azeroth instead, a multiplayer map with all races fighting across Azeroth and Outland. I worked a lot on that, but the limits made the map inviable, and I didn't want to downscale the size of everything just to make it viable like the other maps of the same style (Azeroth Wars, Dark Ages of Warcraft...) because it would ruin everything I achieved. I mapped mostly for fun, so I never got to finish anything that wasn't a serious team map xDDD.

As for the other idea, the 16K world war, most of the talk is here: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8451. These are pretty much the n two places the "new info" came from.

With all of this, I think only a blind man would persist on believing this is some sort of leak. If there's people who still have doubts, just post them and I'll try to clear them as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Why the fuck did you necro this? Not only was it completely unwarranted but you did it for pointless self promotion. You'd better believe that's an assing.
What the fuck? seriously.

Do you even read the threads you post in? because I gave the reason just above one of your posts: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...7&postcount=71

Self promotion? telling people not to believe a fake and clearing the matter is self promotion? I don't like that poor fake using my ideas, if something I feel ashamed for being partially behind it. And anyway, they're old stuff I've updated or removed, so what's your point? try attacking those who surround you less often.

*Sigh*

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 03-30-2012 at 06:47 AM..
Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 AM

Elune

I wouldnt mind if Blizz made something like Lon said. Battles of World of Warcraft? Trolls, Nelves, Aqir and Demons. Troll/Aqir war campaing for trolls, The fall of Azjol Nerub campaing for Aqir (?), WotA for Nelves and Fall of Argus for Demons
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Ok, assuming the whole Aqir Wars bit, what would you have done given what you know now to develop the Aqir and Trolls history?

The Mad Admin
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Ok, assuming the whole Aqir Wars bit, what would you have done given what you know now to develop the Aqir and Trolls history?
I'm not sure I would go with that anymore, not as a mod. Making campaigns of the events of WoW seems easier (models and basic lore are already done), and has much more potential. Just look at my TBC campaign ideas. I think the result is fabulous, something much more harder to achieve with those other events.

If you were talking about W4, or making a mod with lots of dedicated people, then I would go for it. I would focus on the 16k war. Since balancing races is hard, I would change the concept of "race", and make people build their armies, like you do when you play Warhammer. That way, each player would have an unique army (I remember I already posted this "race concept" in some W4 thread, but using WoW races instead, but I prefer it to be pre-WoW).

I started to write pretty much all my ideas, and this post turned to be too long, so I gave it its own thread (I don't want to use this one anyway, with explanations made there's no point at keeping it alive).

Keep the discussion here: (I'll edit when I finish writing it, it's turning to be goddamn long)

EDIT: It turned to be 99% gameplay, and I don't think that's what you want, is it?

My basic lore ideas for the 16k war are an old version of Alliance vs Horde. The aqir get all the races west, and the trolls all the races east. Everything is here: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8451 so no point at reposting it. I'm not sure I'm answering your question, so feel free to specify a bit more, please.

EDIT2: I wrote it anyway, so figured I would post it no matter what: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ad.php?t=22976 (see what you made me write, you evil Cantus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
I wouldnt mind if Blizz made something like Lon said. Battles of World of Warcraft? Trolls, Nelves, Aqir and Demons. Troll/Aqir war campaing for trolls, The fall of Azjol Nerub campaing for Aqir (?), WotA for Nelves and Fall of Argus for Demons
I love the idea, too (I made it, after all). They put the negative tone on purpose to confuse people. I had some gameplay ideas, but I don't remember them well. The ones at the leak are a distortion of those.

Last edited by Lon-ami; 03-30-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Elune

Am i the only one who thinks War of The Ancients would be a good setting for an RTS game ?