Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Super Bowl and America's Pop Culture

I touched on this in the NFL thread but wanted to see if we could have a broader discussion about it. Was anyone else just repulsed by the whole event last night? I mean is this what we consider entertainment in this country? I'm not even referring to the game, which was a decent enough football affair. The game itself isn't the least bit important anymore.

The Black Eyed Peas halftime show was among the most horrendous musical events I have ever witnessed in my life. And it was totally representative of what popular music has become. Nothing has any melody, every voice is masked with auto-tuning.

The commercials literally seem to BE ABOUT watching commercials. People are being convinced to buy things simply by the process of osmosis. I can think of a no more fitting venue for the unveiling of Trasformers 3 (god help us).

I almost feel sorry for religious people in this country. One likes to imagine that Christmas is the most holy day of the year, but that is simply not true. Super Bowl Sunday is America's true religious holiday, our own annual pilgrimmage to our advertsing Mecca, where we worship flashing lights and cacophonic sounds.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstraka View Post
I touched on this in the NFL thread but wanted to see if we could have a broader discussion about it. Was anyone else just repulsed by the whole event last night? I mean is this what we consider entertainment in this country? I'm not even referring to the game, which was a decent enough football affair. The game itself isn't the least bit important anymore.

The Black Eyed Peas halftime show was among the most horrendous musical events I have ever witnessed in my life. And it was totally representative of what popular music has become. Nothing has any melody, every voice is masked with auto-tuning.

The commercials literally seem to BE ABOUT watching commercials. People are being convinced to buy things simply by the process of osmosis. I can think of a no more fitting venue for the unveiling of Trasformers 3 (god help us).

I almost feel sorry for religious people in this country. One likes to imagine that Christmas is the most holy day of the year, but that is simply not true. Super Bowl Sunday is America's true religious holiday, our own annual pilgrimmage to our advertsing Mecca, where we worship flashing lights and cacophonic sounds.

Look, I get that you're a Vikings fan, so let's be honest. You're just in a shit mood here because the Packers fans are going to be smug as hell for the next 8 months or so, and that's gonna make life miserable.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Look, I get that you're a Vikings fan, so let's be honest. You're just in a shit mood here because the Packers fans are going to be smug as hell for the next 8 months or so, and that's gonna make life miserable.
No, lol I'm totally serious. I honestly care about the Packer angle alot less than I thought. The whole thing just made my skin crawl, long before the outcome of the game was settled. We don't have any entertainment of redeeming quality in this country that is both worthwhile AND popular, not on a large scale. It is all plastic garbage.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:58 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

I live really far away from American and I heard a few of my friends mention the Super Bowl today. So yeah, apparently it's really well known even outside of the U.S.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM

Arch-Druid

and in the rest of the world, not a single shit was given that day. All I heard is that fergie took a good song, force-fed it hamburgers until it died of disgust and then proceeded to molest it in every way possible. I lost my respect for Slash for even participating in that abomination people call "pop music".
Old 02-07-2011, 02:06 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I'm hearing a lot of people say the BEP's halftime show was horrendous... while I don't care for them I essentially had no opinion on their show other than "why is Will I Am wearing a clear plastic combover on his head?". Was it really that bad, and I just didn't notice it?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM

Arch-Druid

I can understand why our European friends would not care. My broader point is this American popular entertainment seems to cater to the absolute lowest common denominater. And my theory is that is because a majority of our population is just mind-numbingly stupid and easily manipulated into liking whatever they are told to like. It's depressing.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
I can understand why our European friends would not care. My broader point is this American popular entertainment seems to cater to the absolute lowest common denominater. And my theory is that is because a majority of our population is just mind-numbingly stupid and easily manipulated into liking whatever they are told to like. It's depressing.
Glenn Beck is the living avatar of what you're saying
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Arch-Druid

While we're on the subject of America's Pop Culture, don't you just love it when South Park's predictions come true? (the thing I'm talking about is at 20:45)
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Arch-Druid

And I have just learned that last nights clusterfuck was the most watched television program in history. I don't even have the words.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

It really wasn't that bad.

I'm not sure what you expected, but overall, the game was fairly interesting, the commercials were well produced and generally amusing, and the halftime show was tolerable, and certainly not the worst I'd ever seen.

Then again, Super Bowl Sunday is really only a "huge" deal if you have a team in the game... otherwise, it's just a good excuse for me to spend half a Sunday sitting in an easy chair stuffing loaded potato skins in my mouth.

Maybe you just need better Super Bowl food...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:01 PM

Warden

I haven't met a single kid who likes today's garbage (I'm in an American public high school). I'm honestly confounded as to where they get their fan base.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
I haven't met a single kid who likes today's garbage (I'm in an American public high school). I'm honestly confounded as to where they get their fan base.
You must not live in a coastal metropolitan area.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SicilianNecktie View Post
Well that is somewhat promising. I mean, even Rap, in the late 80s and especially early 90s, while it was not doubt vulgar and violent, was witty, inventive, catchy and topical. Rock music died, sometime around 1995 I think, tough to say. I'm very cynical about music. I tend to not even seek out any that was made after about that date. I seem to work backwards. But I'm being serious when I say I haven't heard a significantly good Top 40 single since Outkast's "Hey Ya", which I believe was almost 7 or 8 years ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Well that is somewhat promising. I mean, even Rap, in the late 80s and especially early 90s, while it was not doubt vulgar and violent, was witty, inventive, catchy and topical. Rock music died, sometime around 1995 I think, tough to say. I'm very cynical about music. I tend to not even seek out any that was made after about that date. I seem to work backwards. But I'm being serious when I say I haven't heard a significantly good Top 40 single since Outkast's "Hey Ya", which I believe was almost 7 or 8 years ago.
I'm happy to say that it's completely different here in Belgium, we constantly have new good rockbands popping up and reaching high up in the charts combined with many british ones. The most listened to radiochannel doesn't play any of that crappy popmusic, it's a mix between rock,some good pop and alternative.
Here are a couple of examples. There are many, MANY more though.
This is probably one of the best songs of the last few years. Too bad it is probably only known in the U.S. as soundtrack to twilight.

Last edited by Reyson; 02-07-2011 at 03:48 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Thankfully I recently found a Internet Radio venture that sometimes seems to be reading my mind.

http://www.devilsnight.com/radio.htm

You have to listen for about an hour to get a real feel for what their about, but you may become addicted.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I only watch the Superbowl for the commercials and an excuse for eating copious amounts of snack foods. The commercials weren't the greatest but they weren't bad. I only started watching a couple of years ago anyways; it really doesn't hold any meaning to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Warden

My brother was telling me that, in the 1950's, there was a psychologist who theorized that stupid commercials did a better job than funny commercials. The reasoning was that the stupid commercials made a company appear more lovable and foolish, and led viewers to lower their initial guard.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:51 AM

Elune

Quote:
And I have just learned that last nights clusterfuck was the most watched television program in history. I don't even have the words.
It was between the two teams with two of the biggest fanbases, that also have the most hard-core fans. And to boot, the game wasn't decided until 00:51 in the fourth quarter. Holy shit there's no way that a Steelers/Packers Super Bowl would be a big deal, that's just ridiculous.

The notion of the half time show? I don't give a shit, that gave us time to leave the bar, go outside, return the phone calls we ignored, take a piss, and so on. It's good it was terrible, because if they signed someone I actually enjoyed I'd not want to miss it.

Last edited by Fordragon; 02-08-2011 at 12:54 AM..
Old 02-08-2011, 06:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Not only did you have the Steelers who already have a large fanbase and the Packers who I believe have an even wider fanbase around my way you had the ravenous Ravens fans who only watched to "see the Steelers lose" and make rape jokes.

I missed the first two quarters, but I managed to catch the halftime show which at least served the purpose of giving me something to laugh at and make me feel better.

Quote:
Not to be "that guy" but most of the talent isnt popular. There are talented musicians around they just arent marketable so they dont get popular, also alot of them waste their time in shitty bands or realise that being a musician isnt as awesome a life as people make it out to be.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Honestly, the best musicians I've ever listened to are always people with real fucking jobs who aren't in it for the money. Of course, that also means they can never make it big, but that's kind of the point, I guess.

I really should restart my psychobilly band.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Did it have an electric washboard?

It needs an electric washboard if it doesnt have one.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

I really should restart my psychobilly band.
I always sort of pegged you as someone who would be a fan of The Cramps. Maybe I was correct.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I always sort of pegged you as someone who would be a fan of The Cramps. Maybe I was correct.
Hah, funny, since the whole reason I started the band was because Lux Interior died and I wanted to honor his memory.

We were actually pretty experimental... though we only played for like a month. We wanted to be to Psychobilly what New Wave was to Punk, and we had a very sci-fi theme with our songs. We were alternating between calling the band "Raygun Diplomacy" and "Raygun Administration".
Old 02-08-2011, 09:34 AM

Arch-Druid

I try to listen to "Garbageman" at least once a week. On the band name note, I was once listening to a show Lou Reed was hosting on satellite radio and he played something by a band called the "Space Shits", which I am pretty certain is the best name ever.