Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
What are you trying to do, drown me?! You make seven posts in two days? I'll just have to forgive you. Given the somewhat hostile tone of our most recent transactions, I want to make clear that my random musings while reading do not necessarily demand an answer.

Ethaelen #1:
Very good. Nothing to report so far. My Plot Predictor™ is cranking out possibilites:
  1. The pendant is in fact causing the nightmare. The anguished spirits are trapped inside and want revenge.
  2. The pendant is a magical ward given to her by sympathetic druids. The spirits are angry at her for something she did or failed to do in the past.
  3. The pendant is a magical ward given to her by sympathetic druids. The spirits are angry at her for something she will do or fail to do in the future.

Ethaelen #2:
Is there some particular reason she would want to be alone? She was trying to get used to sleeping with others. Maybe they got freaked out by her behavior.

Nightmares about failure are commonplace, but this tormenting figure has me concerned. It sounds like a POW camp, but prisoners would not be armored. Some kind of quarentine, then?

Ethaelen #3:
cleared for a moment, and the Tree

Ethaelen #4:
Mind erased. Forbidden to enter the Emerald Dream; explains why she can't sleep. Did she piss off the Green Dragons?

Ethaelen #5:
If Darnassus is running on nocturnal time, why is everyone always sleeping at night in this story?

And suddenly, we're back to Slywyn!
There was a purple line
And who is 'they?' The Orc and his assistants?

Ethaelen #6:
Fun Fact: According to urban legend, if you have a dream in which you die, you won't wake up.

I generally avoid excesive compliments, but you're getting really good! As in "rivaling Ori Dubya" good. Your early work was choppy -and a bit too sentimental- but those problems have been solved. I truely feel 'inside the head' with these characters, something I myself never seem quite able to achieve. You've reduced me to complaining about plot logic. If I could declare you "graduated," I would. Bravo.
Hostile? I've never detected any hostility. :<

If I've come off as angry at ANY point, I sincerely apologize. I LOVE the critiquing.

For Eth 1, your first possibility is... possible. And I'll just say that.

Eth 2, she hates other people seeing her weak. Also that story was based on an ingame event. Several Sentinels were captured by trolls, and tortured/poisoned. Eth tried to save many of them at the expense of her own health, and still failed.

Eth 4, ... sort of.

Eth 5, it was said -somewhere-(I looked and can't find it) that many Night Elves have switched to being awake during the day to better facilitate working with the other races.

For Sly, yes. Orc and assistants.

Eth 6, that's why it shook her up so much. She'd been close before, but never quite reached that point.

Also: Yay. :3
Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 PM

Elune

Slywyn could feel some kind of semblance of coherent thought returning. It felt like it had been days since she had last been able to put one thought behind the other to create a train. Her entire body felt like it had been beaten and bruised, stomped on until bleeding, and then left to roast in the sun.

She couldn't even move, she felt so exhausted. They had seemingly put her through everything they could think of short of certain 'experiments' that would have killed her outright. Even so, the Orc in charge of her captivity had said several times he fully expected her to die at any point. That he was stretching the limits he knew of already.

Slywyn didn't like that that implied he'd taken other subjects to study before her.

She could feel it in the air that it seemed to be sometime in the evening, or perhaps the earlier parts of the night. Her vision had yet to be restored, leaving her in a constant and near-total state of blindness. She stretched her ears as well as she could, trying to hear -anything- she could. She was rewarded with an almost silent sound of a leather-covered foot scraping across the floor at the end of a step.

She froze even more still than she was already, barely letting herself take the shallow breaths her injuries allowed her. She heard the sound again. But it sounded... more, than it should. She listened, and heard it. There was a barely noticeable second sound behind the first.

Someone was sneaking around the Orcish camp. And there were two of them. Slywyn desperately hoped they were friends.

She continued listening, trying to track the movements of whoever it was as they continued through the stone halls. She knew she was too weak and injured to flee should they attempt to break her out or take her from this place, but she could hope that whoever it was could carry a message back to the Sentinels...

And that made Slywyn think. She vaguely remembered something from her Sentinel training. Something about sneaking. When scouting in pairs, Sentinels were... taught to step in unison to cut down on the sound. Her body went rigid. There were Sentinels in the Orcs' base.

Sly wanted to call out. Wanted to draw attention to herself in the hopes that they could come for her. She wanted so desperately for the pair to whisk her away to freedom. But her making noise would work against them. It could spook them. It could draw the attention of the Orcs. So she lay still. And quiet. And waited.

She continued to listen for the sound of steps being taken, but the sound was so faint and quiet that half the time she felt like she was imagining or hallucinating it. She also couldn't track the sound, as it was too soft for her to determine which direction it was coming from, other than it growing louder or softer as it moved away from or toward her.

Her first indication that her suspicions had been correct, and that she had been found, was a soft gasp that came from inside her room. It was quickly followed by a sharp intake of breath, and a whispered "By Elune...". Slywyn imagined that she must look quite the mess.

The sound of Darnassian, and the fact of the spoken exclamation, were enough for Sly to know that she had been found. By Night Elves. And Sentinels, at that. She wanted to cry. To shout. To make any sound of joy. But she held herself. She opened her eyes, only just realizing she had closed them to try to hear the soft sound of footsteps better.

She opened her mouth to whisper, to try to communicate to them somehow, keeping her voice as quiet as she could manage and still create speech. "Sisters...?"

She could feel as well as hear as the two Sentinels practically rushed to the cage, keeping their voices low. They spoke almost in unison, a twinned pair. Rare, but not unheard of, especially in scouting positions. "You live! Your injuries..."

It started to hit Sly now, just how much of a mess she must have been, that they thought her dead instead of still living. Her spirits sunk, her estimation of how long she had left to live dropping by the moment. "Are survivable." She lied as best she could. "Do you bring help?"

She could hear one of the sisters draw in another breath. But she couldn't quite detect the change in her voice. Slywyn was so elated that someone was here that she wasn't paying enough attention. But she could tell as she spoke that her hope was not well placed.

"Sister... It's Slywyn." The voice came from one side of her cage, the reply from another.

"... It is." The sister's voice deadpanned, no longer elated at finding the elf alive.

Slywyn's voice faltered, panic starting to creep into her mind. They knew of her past. They knew what she'd done. They were going to leave her here. She pleaded with them. "Please... just get me out of here. I'll leave the Sisters alone. I'll leave our lands completely. Please..."

She could hear the two stepping away from the cage, and they spoke as one. "You deserve this, Ravenwind. And you were exiled. We are not allowed to provide assistance to exiles. May your death be prolonged when it comes." They paused, and one of them spoke up separate from the other. "It shouldn't be long."

They went silent, as Sly lay there still in her cage. She could hear their footsteps retreating as the two withdrew from the Orcish camp. She listened until she could no longer hear the footsteps, real or imagined.

She felt as if something inside her had just died. But she could feel something else growing within her. Something familiar. A great rage welled up inside her.

They had -left- her here. To die. Slywyn had protected her people for years. Fought in wars. And when she defended herself and killed another, they all turned their backs on her.

Slywyn felt like some kind of fog descended over her thoughts, then. Things no longer seemed to come as clearly as they had before. All she could feel was this horrible throbbing rage at everyone. Her people. The Orcs. The Humans that had come to the forest before.

All of them had done wrong. None of them could be absolved. She hated every single last one of them, from the oldest elder, to the youngest child.

Slywyn lay in her cage then, and seethed. She let the rage inside of herself have free reign. She felt changed. Like her old self had died, and something else had taken it's place.

She welcomed it.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Ranger

More good work! I've decided to just let your blog be. If there's something embarassingly bad, I'll PM you.

Quote:
"Are survivable," she lied as best she could. "Do you bring help?"
I think that was your intent, wasn't it?

Please, don't begin sentences with 'but.' I'm willing to let it slid if it's just once in a while, but it gets on my nerves when it's every other sentence. Yeah, I'm a Grammar Nazi. Never forget that the Gestopo is watching everything you do. Bwahahahahaha!

Quote:
"You deserve this, Ravenwind. And you were exiled. We are not allowed to provide assistance to exiles. May your death be prolonged when it comes."
Ouch! There does come a point where 'even the enemy doesn't deserve this.' Why the hate? She was apparently well-liked enough to avoid death for murder. Was one of these girls a close friend of (whoever is was she killed)?

All right! Face-Heel Turn! Let's go kill some babies! Just kidding. Obviously this gets resolved, given chronologically later episodes. He wasn't injecting her with demon blood, was he?
"How do you deter and contain monsters? Simple: you use the only languages they understand, force and fear. How do you strike fear into the heart of a monster? Even simpler: create a worse monster and send it after them."
Old 07-21-2011, 02:24 PM

Elune

Quote:

Ouch! There does come a point where 'even the enemy doesn't deserve this.' Why the hate? She was apparently well-liked enough to avoid death for murder. Was one of these girls a close friend of (whoever is was she killed)?

All right! Face-Heel Turn! Let's go kill some babies! Just kidding. Obviously this gets resolved, given chronologically later episodes. He wasn't injecting her with demon blood, was he?
She's been under incredible mental and physical anguish/stress for quite some time by the time this post rolls around.

Straw that broke the camel's back, and all that.

And, Sly was never exactly popular except with her commander. Rumors start. Get spread.

Eventually everyone thinks you went on a giant murder-death spree.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Elune

Ethaelen had chosen to remain in Darnassus while the rest of the Shan're went on to Hyjal. She wasn't allowed, and wasn't going to tempt fate by trying to sneak around the mountain.

She was laying in bed, dreaming. But she could tell that this dream was different. Something about it didn't click. It wasn't like the others she'd had.

She was left in a small, closed room. She couldn't see any exits or entrances, no windows. The room was entirely sealed, leaving her completely alone.

Suddenly she felt this horrible feeling, like something creeping up from deep inside of her. She felt like she was going to puke, or explode if she couldn't relieve the pressure. She felt something climbing it's way out of her throat, until this disgusting black ooze began to seep from behind her lips.

Thoroughly alarmed and disgusted, Eth couldn't do anything to stop it. For some reason, though, it felt... good. It felt... familiar. She couldn't breathe, collapsing on the floor as more of this awful... her eyes went wide as the flow of ooze from her mouth continued. She knew what it was. This felt exactly like the power she'd wielded while corrupted within the Dream.

The Nightmare was oozing out of her. Ethaelen retched, expelling the corrupt disgustingness as quickly as she could, wishing and hoping to be free of it.

Ethaelen retched one last time, and felt the last of the ooze, feeling strangely solid, flop from her mouth to the ground. She wiped her mouth on the back of her leather sleeve, noticing that her lips left black marks on the surface. She frowned, looking at the puddle of ooze.

She turned her back on it, hoping that for some reason a door or window would have opened. Stranger things had happened in her dreams. She went to the side of the small room, running her fingers along the wall. It appeared to be wood, but smooth and polished from age. She pressed against it, testing it, but it didn't give an inch.

"Times are grim these days, aren't they?"

Ethaelen froze. She didn't say that. But it sounded like her voice. She turned, expecting to find the room she'd just been in, but the scenery had changed.

She suddenly found herself in a large, dark, clearing. She appeared to be in Feralas, somewhere near Dream Bough. But that wasn't even the most startling change. Standing in front of her, dripping the horrible oozing blackness, was a dragon. But not just any dragon.

She was facing herself. Her mouth fell open. She could recognize that form anywhere. The chip in her horn from where she fell in battle and smashed it against a rock. The missing tooth that was knocked from her maw by a swung claw.

She felt a pang of heartache in her chest, and unconsciously she reached out her hand, just trying to touch it, to feel it. Her dragon-self in front of her chuckled, though she could hear now that the sound was slightly distorted, warbling.

She stopped her arm's progress, pulling it back to her body, and stared up at... herself. The dragon-form in front of her pulled it's lip up into a sneer, turning it's head to peer down at her with one dull eye.

"I see you haven't changed any. Still holding on to what you cannot have." Her dragon-self advanced a step, causing Ethaelen to stumble backward.

She glared up at the Nightmare monstrosity, balling her fists at her sides. "There is always a chance. Always hope."

The dragon reached forward, then clipped Eth's shoulder almost lazily. Even so, the blow was enough to send Eth flying off of her feet to faceplant in surprisingly hard soil. She impacted hard enough to drive the wind from her lungs, leaving her face throbbing.

When Eth recovered her breath and sat up, she was back in the small room. There was no sign of her nightmare self. Not even a remnant of a puddle.

Suddenly, louder than she imagined her ears could take without damage, she heard her nightmare self scream "GET UP".

Eth sat up in her bed suddenly, blinking confusedly. She looked around, not really understanding what had just happened. The pendant around her neck glowed a soft green, and she instinctively wrapped her fingers around it.

Then, something else happened that hadn't happened before. She heard her distorted voice laughing derisively at her. "There's no hiding, now."

Her nightmares had just become real.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Elune

Default Where The Wild Things Are

(I know I haven't written things in a while, but I've been pressed for time, what with work and whatever. But a friend of mine bet me that I couldn't write a Night Elf being in our modern time without it being stupid. And I have some measure of pride in my writing, which means I have to take this challenge. No matter how godawful it turns out to be. You guys can be the judges. Feel free to post your thoughts after this. Should you read it.)

Sly unfurled the plans for her new contraption onto the table, checking things one last time. She scratched her chin with her left hand, her right tapping a certain spot on the plans. "You know, I still don't understand why we need four Khorium cores for this, Jinx."

She turned her head to look behind her, at a small(even for a Gnome) Gnome working at a Gnome-sized bench. The Gnome, Jinxilat Spinscrew, was a close friend, and was in fact the Gnome that had taught Slywyn engineering in the first place. He waved a hand over his shoulder. "You have seen the size of this teleporter, haven't you? This could send a Steam Tank all the way to Northrend from the depths of Gnomeregon!" He continued tweaking the power supply, four oblong tubes about six inches in length, to get it all to fit inside the housing.

Sly blew air through her lips, turning back to the plans. "Where did you get these, anyway? I mean, I can get all the way to Northrend from Booty Bay with my Wormhole Generator, and that doesn't even take a core!" She didn't sound worried as much as amused, her eyes flickering over the details on the paper before her.

He raised an eyebrow and turned back to her, stopping his work for a moment. "You do realize that your Generator is using dimensional folding that we don't even fully understand yet." He waved a wrench at her accusingly. "I told you several times not to build it. And yet you did. And what's happened since then?"

Sly sighed. "I dunno, Jinx. Why don't you tell me what's happened? You sure love doing it." She turned around to look at the Gnome, leaning on the bench with her arms acting as supports behind her.

The Gnome ignored, or simply didn't hear, the implied barb, as he launched into what sounded like a well-practiced list. "When in Ulduar, a stray jolt of electricity activated it and teleported half your squad to Sholazaar. Then there's the time where you turned it on by accident, didn't input coordinates, and almost sent yourself to Tanaris. And -then- you actually managed to come back from Outland with it, which is something that I still don't know how you managed to pull off."

Sly frowned a little. "I've told you a dozen times that Ethereal plugged in the coordinates to get me home when I was hurt. I don't even know how he did it."

He waggled the wrench at her again. "That's exactly my point! You don't know what he did to make that happen. You haven't been using it since then, have you?"

"Well, no. It still makes a funny sound when you start it up."

"I told you to take that thing apart. It's too dangerous." He frowned and turned back around to continue tinkering, going silent.

Sly shook her head and turned back to the plans, grumbling. "You know, I'm not getting on you about how you pulled these out of a half-destroyed mechagnome's CPU or some shit. Or that they take four cores to work."

Sly pursed her lips and continued to look over the plans, then to the large circular device in the corner of the room. "Why'd you pick me to help you with this, anyway?"

Without turning around, he quipped back. "Because you have no imagination and follow plans to exact standards without trying to alter them."

Sly glared at him for a moment. "Fair enough."

---

Several days later, Slywyn and Jinx stood before the completed teleporter, which now took up most of the room. It looked much like any other location teleporter, but was about three times larger, and was constantly whirring with the power supplied by it's cores.

Sly glanced toward Jinx, her hand on the satchel at her side, and a somewhat worried look on her face. "I still don't trust this thing."

He smirked. "That's why you're going first. You have your parachute with you?"

"Yes."

"Teleporter?"

"Yes."

"And you left the Generator at home. ... Right?"

"Right."

"You don't sound so convincing."

Sly glanced back at him, frowning a bit. "You don't trust me?"

"Not really." He stared back.

Sly shifted a bit on the spot. She didn't want to tell him that she did in fact have the Generator on her, hidden wrapped in a sock in the bottom of her satchel. She trusted it more than she let on, having gotten her out of several situations she'd managed to get stuck in before. "Just once, trust me. It's at home."

He let out a sigh and finally nodded, looking back toward it. "Alright. I input the coords from when I tested my teleporter. It should land you just outside of Gadget. But you've got that rebreather I made you. And your parachute. You're wearing your armor. You have a cloak." He was starting to sound somewhat nervous himself. "You've got your sword. Just in case. Right?" He wrung his hands together.

Sly smirked a little, stepping into the circular 'launching pad' of the teleporter. "Yeah. I've got all that." She felt a slight rumbling from her side, but decided it was just nerves. Or her bag shifting against her leg, as it had done before.

He nodded again, then stepped to the controls. He pushed a button, starting up the power sequence. The humming in the room grew louder as the teleporter surged to life, several tracking arms around the top beginning to spin slowly, measuring and calibrating to the size and mass of the subject within. The teleporter was easily twenty feet in diameter, dwarfing the elf in the center.

Jinx continued the startup sequence, metal screeching against metal as the components jerked and scraped to life for the first time. Lights winked on as the containment field arms swung out from behind the supports, spinning around Slywyn slowly, but steadily picking up speed.

Sly shifted a bit in her spot, the whirring growing louder as all the components began to spin and work faster, steam blowing out from the capacitor as it heated up.

Unbeknownst to both of them, Slywyn's Generator began to react to all the power being unleashed around it, the crystalizied elements that acted as it's power source being awakened by the energy in the air. It began to glow within it's sock, the chaotic elements within starting it's own startup sequence.

The twin sets of arms around Slywyn began to spin faster and faster until they were simply a blur. Sly's hair whipped around her back in the vortex created, her cape billowing around her legs and whipping around the platform.

Sly began to feel a pull of sorts, and Jinx's voice came from behind the console. He had to yell to be heard over the commotion of the machine, cupping his hands around his mouth to attempt to amplify the sound. "Ten seconds Sly!"

He punched in a final line of code, and hit the enter key on the console. Whatever happened next couldn't be stopped, the machine moving too quickly at this point for either participant to react.

Five seconds from activation, Jinx watched in horror Slywyn's Generator jumped to life, the portal materializing inside of the teleporter. Slywyn gasped as the dim blue-white light suffused the platform. Whatever she said next, Jinx couldn't hear it. An edge of the portal touched the tracking arms and was instantly stretched as the energy of the portal latched onto the spinning arms, engulfing Slywyn inside it.

With a horrid screeching noise, both devices discharged at the same time, bowling Jinx over as a blast of air radiated from the center. When he picked himself up, his eyes went wide at the state of the teleporter in front of him.

The entire platform was warped in on itself, the tracking arms dripping molten metal onto the floor of the workshop. The containment field arms were bent and warped outward, one of them having sliced through the console when the machine discharged.

The entire teleporter was scrap metal. And Slywyn was nowhere to be found.

"Oh, Cogs." Jinx sighed, putting his face into the palm of his hand.

(I'd finish but I'm short on time. Booo.)

Last edited by Slywyn; 09-05-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM

Elune

Sly felt like she was being stretched, smashed, burnt, and frozen all at the same time. It was agony and it was bliss, all at the same time. She could feel something pulling her along, almost like there was a rope tied inside her core that she was being pulled along. Something had gone terribly wrong, but she was in no position to try to figure out what it was.

She could almost feel things as they whizzed past her. One moment she felt intense heat that left her feeling crisped, and then there was such intense cold that she could have sworn there was frostbite on her face. She could see flashes of light that made no sense, and then millisecond long flashes of darkness so intense she wanted to recoil from them.

Finally she felt like the rope stuck inside her snapped, or was removed, and felt like she was falling. Her fall was short, and she faceplanted into something hard. Metal scraped against rock as she slammed into the ground, her armor steaming and smoking, while she felt icy cold to her core. She would have shivered would she had been able to move.

The ground around her felt scorched and barren, but she couldn't even bring herself to open her eyes to see what it was. Suddenly, she felt something fly past her head so fast that it had to be something unnatural. Maybe a dragon? She put her hands under herself as a shot of adrenaline at the imminent danger of whatever it was that had just passed her surged through her body.

She opened her eyes, noting that the ground in front of her was black and semi-reflective, before something green and small flew past her face with a high pitched screeching noise and the smell of something she didn't recognize. Something else careened past behind her with a similar sound. She pushed herself from the ground, noting that somewhere along the way her hair had come loose, obscuring her vision.

She could feel her armor around her body was hot enough to possibly be dangerous, but was in too much danger to even consider removing it. As she stood and gained her bearings, two more things streaked past her at speeds she hadn't imagined possible. The only thing that came to mind was a high speed dive out of the skies on Malcarion. But these things were on the ground.

She put a hand out in front of her as a brown one came speeding toward her, but noted dimly in the back of her mind that it wasn't slowing down anywhere near fast enough. She crouched as it approached her, readying herself to jump as that same high pitched squealing came from it. Something on the front of it blinded her as it approached, and she had to guess when to jump.

Slywyn pushed off of the ground as much as she could, leaping straight up into the air. She could catch only the faintest image of... a human? peering out of the thing. The sight startled her so much that she botched the landing, coming down hard on a foot and knee. Another one sped toward her, slowing down, but not nearly fast enough.

Slywyn hopped as well as she could, and she imagined in her mind that she must look something akin to a fish flopping on the ground after being thrown out of the water. The thing, whatever it was, impacted her with the sound of crunching metal and shattering glass. Slywyn had been expecting something a bit more solid, or at least something with less... give.

That didn't make the impact at all less painful, though her armor took the brunt of the impact. And if she wasn't mistaken, the person inside the... whatever it was, had begun screaming. The thing carried her a few feet before finally stopping with a sudden lurch, tossing Slywyn off the front of it to roll on the ground. She groaned, noting somewhere that it had definitely been a human inside of the thing. And that her nose was bleeding, which was likely the least of her injuries judging from the pain she was in.

Sly lay on her side on the ground until something touched her shoulder. She gripped it with her right hand, noting that whoever it was wasn't wearing armor of any kind. Her mind instantly lept to a Mage, and she knew that if they were readying a spell as retaliation for her destroying their... thing, she was as good as dead.

Fortunately, all the thing in her hand seemed to want to do was scream some more and try to pull away, which wasn't doing it any good. Sly turned her head to look at it, noticing another human. Several of the things that she had seen speeding along the road were stopped around her, parts of them leaning open. She could see the one she'd impacted looked severely damaged, and was leaking steam, among other things.

Slywyn rolled over onto her front and began to stand, all of her joints protesting furiously. Her left arm seemed to be mostly useless, but wasn't bent at any odd angles. Just likely dislocated. She noticed several humans standing around her, but as they began speaking animatedly, she realized she couldn't understand a word they were saying.

It sounded only very very vaguely like Common, but was so far removed from it only the basic sounds remained the same. Try as she might, she couldn't pick out a single word she recognized among the multitudes.

A few of them gasped aloud as Slywyn rose to her full height of near seven feet. It seemed that while she was in a great deal of pain, the only limb with any severe damage was her left arm, which hung loosely at her side. It was dark, but that didn't affect her much other than dimming her vision slightly.

She turned her head, and several more of them yelled something and pointed at her head. It seemed they'd noticed her ears. Sly tried to speak, her voice hoarse, either from the cold or heat, or just the method of transport, she couldn't tell which. She tried Common, Darnassian, Draconic, every language she knew, but their sounds only grew louder as more of them approached and began speaking.

Suddenly, flashes began to emanate from the crowd. Slywyn caught a glimpse of some kind of handheld device and dove, expecting projectiles or spells to go flying past at any moment. She rolled and tried to come up, forgetting momentarily that her left arm was useless. She fell to the ground with the sound of metal grinding on the stone as she slid, her momentum carrying her through the crowd.

Several more screamed, the crowd backing away from her and scattering. Sly shakily pushed herself to her feet, realizing that there was a stand of trees not far away. One of them pointed to the sword strapped to her back and yelled something she still didn't understand, and Slywyn decided that it was time to get away. She lowered her shoulder and charged for the treeline, cradling her left arm with her right as she bowled several of them over.

The din of the crowd faded swiftly as Slywyn sprinted at her top speed into the cover of the trees, and she was dimly aware that several impressed-sounding exclamations followed her.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I've just now caught up to this, pretty interesting read so far from what I've read.

Keep up the good work.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Elune

Slywyn crept through the stand of trees, which only seemed to be something like one hundred feet wide, and strangely straight. She could hear more of those things whizzing by with their odd humming noises. They sounded almost like the steam engines she knew from home, but they had a much deeper note than what she recognized.

The entire area smelled awful. Now that she had a moment to herself, she felt like she could feel the smell burning into her nose and dimming her sense of smell somehow. It was acrid and seemed to suffuse everything in the area.

She let her eyes travel over the trees, confirming something she'd already gathered from glances. None of these trees looked remotely like any species she recognized from home. Oddly enough, though, some of them looked strangely similar to some of the trees from Elwynn and the rest of the Human-controlled areas.

This, among a few other factors such as the strange machines, led Slywyn to believe that she was no longer on Azeroth. But this didn't look anything like Outland, and she didn't recognize any of the sky above her, when she could catch glances of stars between the cloud cover.

She noticed that the moon above looked very different as well, both a different size and color from the ones she knew. The only option left to decide based on all the information she had, was that she was somehow in an entirely different part of the Great Dark Beyond than she had been before.

Sly could really only blame herself for this. If she hadn't brought along her Worm Hole Generator, she likely would be in Gadgetzan right now enjoying a drink and some sun while she waited for a Gryphon to fly her back home. She let out a sigh, deciding not to dwell on the problems anymore, and instead try to figure out some kind of solution.

First thing she needed to do was fix her arm. The entire time she'd been walking, she had been scanning the trees and underbrush for something suitable. She needed a crook or a divide in a tree that she could wedge her arm into.

Now that her adrenaline was fading, she could feel that she'd probably need to fix her arm soon, or the pain would just get worse. As of right now it was just radiating from her shoulder joint, but at a level she could deal with. She could already feel it spreading though, meaning she didn't have long before it would get bad enough to cloud her thinking.

Making matters worse was the fact that she could very vaguely hear things moving in the brush behind and off to the side, in the direction from which she had come. They were looking for her. Normally, she'd be able to travel in such a way that she could leave minimal tracks, if any at all. But being in her suit of armor, and having crashed into the brush as she did, she knew that she was leaving a much clearer track than she had been trained to do.

She could hear some kind of high pitched whining sound in the back of her mind, and wondered what exactly it could be. The sound changed seemingly at random, but the randomness would be followed with some kind of pattern. Thinking about it was making her head hurt, which she mostly attributed to the growing pain in her shoulder.

It also seemed like she was running out of trees, as before her she could see that the line of trees she was in ended a few hundred feet ahead. There looked to be some kind of dip in the land that just didn't seem entirely natural to her.

As she crept closer, a bit of a grim smile crept onto her face as she spotted what she needed. She smirked a bit, thinking quietly to herself. "Even on worlds removed from mine, you can always trust the forest to provide."

Just a few feet off of the general path she'd chosen was a pair of trees entwined with each other. They'd grown too close together, and had fused and split apart several times, eventually splitting and growing into two separate trees, though their bases were conjoined. Just about half a foot below Slywyn's chest level, they had finally split, leaving a somewhat oddly shaped V that she could use.

Sly winced in pain, gritting her teeth to keep from making any noise, and raised her injured left arm, placing it inside of the crook of the tree. Grunting in pain with each blow, she used her right arm to knock on her left, and wedge it into the gap as much as she could. Then, bracing herself for what she knew was to come, she put all her weight into the tree, trying to shove her arm back into socket.

It was something she'd only ever had to do once, hundreds of years ago when she fell from a free due to some moss she hadn't seen that forced her to lose her grip. She'd smacked her shoulder on the way down hard enough to knock it out of place. But that time she'd had someone to help her, and now she was on her own.

She gasped in pain, her knees going weak, on only the first shove. She apparently missed, or didn't use enough force, and she felt like someone had stabbed a knife into her shoulder. Her face grew damp as she struggled to remain standing, the pain searing all through her left shoulder and arm. She gathered herself for a moment, fighting against the pain, and pushed again, with as much strength as she could muster.

It seemed her luck held, for with a sickening grinding noise that made her stomach lurch, and a bit of a quiet pop, she felt her shoulder pop back into place. She went as limp as she could against the tree, being held up by her arm wedged into the crook. Her chest heaved, her nostrils flaring, as most of the pain faded from her shoulder and arm.

After a moment, she was able to gather her legs under her and stand, though she was much shakier than she would have liked to be. Her left arm was still in a rather large amount of pain, but it was back down to the tolerable level it had been before, and she'd be able to move on.

She pulled her arm free from the tree, wincing a bit as she looked over the damage her armor had done to the bark. Not only was the damage somewhat unnecessary, it would be a clear sign of her presence to anyone trying to find her.

She dimly noted that the strange whining sound had grown quite a bit louder, and she realized that it was coming from without, rather than within, as she had suspected. Somewhat relieved that she wasn't just hearing things, she continued toward the break in the trees.

She moved a bit slower, trying to leave as hard a trail to follow as possible. When she came to the break in the trees, she realized that the strange road the things had been moving on had a twin, where more of the things streaked by in the opposite direction. It was some kind of one-way pathway system, that the engineer in her wanted to study. But she knew she didn't have nearly enough time to stand around and observe.

Sly crouched and crept toward the strange dip, separated from the trees by a good fifty feet or so of open ground. Thankful that she had chosen to keep her armor with a matte finish rather than something shiny like many of the Humans chose, she made her way to the dip.

She peered over the edge once she arrived, a bit confused that the sides of it seemed to be some kind of incredibly flat stone that she didn't recognize. It was far too uniform in composition to be natural and smelled very very dimly of Human when she put her nose near it. It was laid in slabs, creating some kind of aqueduct that water flowed through.

With a shrug after her brief examination of the stone, she slid down it as quietly as she could manage, the only sound being of metal scraping against stone. Once in the bottom and holding herself just out of the water as she lay against the stone, she was faced with some kind of choice. She had noticed off in the distance that there was a strangely large amount of light radiating up into the night, presumably from a city of settlement of some kind. That was to her right, and to her left, she had noticed more woods and a lack of the same kind of light, though there seemed to be light everywhere in this world.

She decided to go right toward the city/settlement, wanting to know more about where she was. And she figured it might be easier to find some kind of shelter nearer something like that. If these Humans were anything like the ones she knew from Stormwind, they were likely to leave empty houses or shelters littering the landscape once their owners had moved on.

Dimly noting in the back of her mind that she felt strangely weak and tired for such a comparatively small amount of physical exertion, Sly slid into the water and crept her way downstream, making her way toward the city.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:06 PM

Ranger

Well, this is quite a burst! This explains the lack of updates to Internal Armor, I suppose. This is excellent work, such that most of my suggestions are more tentetive than usual. Asthetics is a matter of personal taste, and I shouldn't impose mine over yours.

Please refrain from starting sentences with 'but.' It's okay once in a while, but it's not a good habit to get into.
  • Suddenly, she felt
  • She hadn't said that; but it sounded
  • near the Dream Bough.
  • dripping the horrible, oozing blackness,
  • from when she fell

Ah, to Eth actually is a Green Dragon. That makes things more interesting.

Where The Wild Things Are
Well, that is a challenge indeed! We'll have to see how this goes.

Ignoring the hand problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slywyn View Post
The Gnome ignored, or simply didn't hear, the implied barb, as he launched into what sounded like a well-practiced list.
This sentence is correct. However, it also provides an example. You tend to use a lot of commas. While complex sentence structures are good, there is a such thing as too many commas. Personally, I would've set off the aside "or simply didn't hear" with dashes, rather than commas. It breaks up monotony.
  • at a small (even for a Gnome)
  • the large, circular device
  • he quipped back, "Because

Quote:
looking back toward it.
The last 'it' that came up was the smuggled generator, not the new teleporter.
  • Jinx watched in horror as Slywyn's Generator jumped to life

Okay, it's too late to keep going on this, so I'll be back tomorrow.
I'm back! Let's see how this transporter malfunction plays out. The only thing more fun than a transporter malfunction is a holodeck malfunction!

Quote:
something green and small
Here we have a problem. Last I checked, cars were big.
  • It was agony, and it was
  • millisecond-long flashes
That's some pretty impressive armor! Then again, Azerothian ores are capable of stopping bullets.

Well, I'd say you pulled it off. A Night Elf in the real world without sounding ridiculous. There is an undertone of humor from the absurdity of the situation, but her reactions a very believable. How often we forget the unnaturalness of our modern lifestyle, unprecidented as it is. Now, how long will it take before Sly is shipped off to Area 51 for study?
"How do you deter and contain monsters? Simple: you use the only languages they understand, force and fear. How do you strike fear into the heart of a monster? Even simpler: create a worse monster and send it after them."

Last edited by DarkAngel; 09-06-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Added second and third posts.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ignoring the hand problem?
Yeah. I felt like it would be waaaaaaaaaay too much of a handicap for her. She's a right handed fighter. Not having her right hand means no fighting.

It also means she's heavily handicapped should she need to build/construct things.

I decided it might make the story more enjoyable if she had both of them.

It's also supposed to be set before she went to Hyjal with her guild, but maybe I should have clarified that.

The lack of updates to Internal Armor is actually because the person she's in a relationship with has stopped RPing on that character entirely, so I'm leaving her 'alpha story' as it were, in limbo until Ty's player figures out what they're doing with the character.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 PM

Hippogryph Rider

I finished reading the CAW story a bit earlier and I must say that I quite enjoyed it, felt really sympathetic towards the characters handicapped status and inability to even live what little 'life' one could find as an undead being.

I look forward to reading the rest of your stories later on~
Official Prince Kael'thas Sunstrider Harem member #42

You may call me G.P.A, Great Programmer Alice
Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrysa View Post
I finished reading the CAW story a bit earlier and I must say that I quite enjoyed it, felt really sympathetic towards the characters handicapped status and inability to even live what little 'life' one could find as an undead being.

I look forward to reading the rest of your stories later on~
I've heard they're good. =)
Old 09-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Elune

((DA, as far as the car thing, I had just figured that a Night Elf who was used to seeing ships, steam tanks, giant floating dirigibles, among other things, a car wouldn't be all that big. :3 ))

"Dude, I'm telling you. That's what it was."

"You're insane."

"Come on! Look at iiiiit." Dwayne pointed at the computer monitor, where something big and covered in blue metal was glaring at the camera phone. The image was blurry, but it was just one of hundreds that had been popping up from the incident on Interstate 90 yesterday.

Colin turned to stare at the same picture Dwayne had been pouring over for the last hour. "I'm -telling- you, you're insane. Night Elves don't exist, dude. You're just trying to turn your ridiculous fanboyism into something real. Someone photoshopped a picture. Or something."

"Dude. Come on. It was on the news. They wouldn't report something like a photoshopped picture on the news. Have you seen how many pictures there are? Someone has to have gotten a video."

Colin plopped down on the couch to stare at the same news channel they'd been watching since the story broke yesterday. Something about seven feet tall had flashed into existence over the I-90 late yesterday afternoon, falling to the roadway. Government vehicles were already swarming the scene, and the interstate from Montana to Illinois had been shut down to keep vehicles off of it.

There was some kind of scorch mark in the asphalt where the thing had landed, and there were still pictures of the totaled car that it had hit, even if the car itself had been confiscated. The craziest part of the story to most people was that the thing had been wearing some kind of blue-colored armor, and had sprinted off into the trees at Olympic speed after being hit by a car.

"Dude..." Dwayne's voice came from over by the computer. "Someone got a video."

Last edited by Slywyn; 09-15-2011 at 11:14 AM..
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Elune

Slywyn had walked most of the night, sticking to the river as long as possible. She didn't know who was following her or how long they'd remain after her, so she was using as much caution as her considerable knowledge in woodcraft would allow.

She was steadily working her way toward the city she had guessed was there, and could tell it would be nearing morning soon. She couldn't tell which direction she was travelling, as she couldn't just assume that their sun rose and set in the same direction as Azeroth's did. She hadn't seen a moon, so either they didn't have one, or it just hadn't ever come into view.

She'd climbed a tree just about an hour ago by her guess, and checked the distance on what she'd presumed to be a city. She'd noticed the same glow, though slightly dimmer, and kept toward it. At her best guess she'd reach it in another hour or so of travelling.

She still couldn't shake the feeling that she'd felt somewhat... diminished since she'd arrived. Like something was missing, but she just couldn't place what. She was getting tired faster than she would have normally, her armor felt heavier. She almost felt like she was getting sick, but that shouldn't be possible. And it was moving a lot faster than any sickness she knew of other than the plague.

Up ahead she could see some kind of rickety old building near where the tree cover started getting thinner. As she made her way closer, she could smell the distinct smell of moldering wood and rusting metal. This building had clearly been abandoned for some time.

When she reached it, she remained hidden for some time, just to make sure there wasn't anyone inside hiding. When she couldn't hear, see, or smell anyone, she made her way to it.

As soon as she stepped inside she knew it wouldn't serve for any kind of shelter. The floor felt like it would give way under her footsteps at any moment, and the roof looked like it was going to give way under the next storm. She'd have to get closer to the town if she wanted to find anything.

---

Colin jumped off of the couch and covered the distance to the computer as quickly as he could, his eyes glued to the screen. Dwayne had pulled up a video on youtube, taken from someone's phone. Dwayne spoke first as the video loaded. "I told you, man. It's a Night Elf. Just look at her."

Colin couldn't dispute him. She looked exactly like the game had portrayed them. Tall, purple-tinted skin, with glowing silvery eyes. "Man... I can't believe what I'm seeing."

Dwayne looked back to him and grinned widely before hitting "Play" on the video. The elf onscreen stood, then looked over the crowd. There was too much noise to hear what she was saying when her mouth moved, and when she took off through the crowd the camera lost sight of her. But that was enough for both of them.

"Cooooooooooooooooooooool!", They both blurted out at almost exactly the same time.

----

It was now sometime around midmorning, and Slywyn had been scouting the outskirts of town. She'd come across something rather strange as she made her way in a very wide circle. It seemed these Humans lived in very regimented housing at the edges of their towns, but built extremely artificial dwellings for themselves, with a great deal of individual customization.

She'd found several more of the moving things, and had some time to examine an abandoned one of them in much greater detail. She'd drawn the inside workings of it on a few sheets of paper, but had been unsuccessful in taking it apart. The bolts and fittings had been too rusted, and breaking them would have made far too much noise.

She'd scavenged some parts off of something else she'd found, though she didn't know if they'd prove any use. As she'd been hiking through the woods earlier, she'd made a short stop to examine her Wormhole Generator. Not only did the elemental parts powering it seem to be completely dead, but the inner workings were fried. She wasn't about to get home any time soon unless she seriously got to work on it. And she had no parts.

As she made her way around more of the outskirts of town, she'd caught sight of a few signs. It worried her that the writing was completely unrecognizable. She'd hoped to find something familiar in the writing, but that just didn't seem to be the case.

Eventually, though, she found another small building. This one seemed much more recently abandoned, as well. It was down a short road just outside of one of the strangely arranged housing districts, around a bend and completely fenced in by trees. The road that led to it was dirt, meaning she could check every time she made her way back for tracks. Just in case.

Even better, there was one of those machines outside. Only slightly rusted, this one could prove to be much more fruitful for her examinations. The door was another strange contraption. It was broken up into three parts. The top was glass, then there was glass covered by metal mesh, and then a metal square. It creaked incredibly loudly when she tried to open it, so she'd chosen to go around back where there was a more-conventional wooden door with a small diamond-shaped glass window covered by metal foil of some kind.

The entire building itself was on deflated rubber wheels like the machines were, and smelled of mildew and the very beginnings of decay. If anything on this world worked like it did at home, she could guess that it'd been abandoned at most a year ago.

Luckily it seemed sound, and in her quick and furtive examination of the other rooms she hadn't found evidence of any kind of inhabitant. Everything was covered in an undisturbed layer of dust. Many new and exciting things had been found inside as well, contraption after contraption practically littered the building.

But first things first, she needed rest. She ventured back outside, taking some cut-up cans she'd found in a cabinet with her. They were red with white markings and more writing she couldn't read. The liquid inside had smelled foul, and tasted worse. It fizzed when she drank it, and she could barely convince herself she hadn't been poisoned. But so far, other than a slightly upset stomach, she hadn't noticed any ill effects.

After littering the dirt around the front and back doors with many cut up pieces of the metal and then covering those with dirt, she returned inside. There had been a spool of thread inside one of the drawers, which she then tied to a tree across the pathway toward the house. She looped it around another tree, then ran the line under a window that she cracked only slightly. She tied it to another of the cans that she'd filled with the pieces of metal, and set it next to the bed. If anyone were to trip across it, it would jostle the metal in the can and wake her.

Slywyn remained in her armor, but crawled into the bed. She felt as if she'd been awake for days, even though it had only been one, and in a battle besides. When she flopped onto the bed she stirred up a cloud of dust that had her coughing for a few minutes, but when she finally settled down she was out like a light before her head had really had time to settle on the pillow.

----

Colin's phone rang, and he groaned. He rolled over in the bed, glancing at his clock. Almost midnight. And he had work tomorrow! That asshole better have a good reason. "Yeeeees?"

"Dude, Colin. She's disappeared." Dwayne's voice rang out clear through the earpiece.

"What? I don't care. I have work!" He pinched his nose between his finger and his thumb.

"No, dude. You don't understand. They can't find her. It's like she's dropped off the face of the earth. They followed her trail to a river under the interstate and then they lost it. Dogs, helicopters with infrared, manned searches, none of them turned up single a trace. They've given up."

Colin groaned again. "Why do you care?"

"They released a map of the area she was found. It was right outside of town, dude. Like, just east of here. The whole town's been alerted. They think she's dangerous because she was carrying a sword. No one has a fucking clue, dude. They're all stumped. The government's been collecting statements from people who were there. They've been pulling the pictures and video off the internet, man. It's gone. I think they're scared."

"Give it up, man. I know what you're thinking. And you're an idiot."

"Come on! You know what kind of chance that could be? What if we-"

"No." And then Colin hung up the phone, laying back in his bed.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Elune

Slywyn sat up slowly. She felt mostly rested, but like she'd been hit by a steam tank. Which, now that she thought about it, wasn't really all that far from the mark. Her joints ached, her head was throbbing, and when she wiped her hand across her face, she realized she'd had a minor nosebleed at some point.

All in all, she was in pretty rough shape. On a world she knew next to nothing about, hiding out in a building on wheels that hadn't been touched in ages, in less than stellar fighting condition, with the only way home she was aware of nonfunctioning. She took stock of her current situation. It sucked. And to top it all off, she felt sick. She'd been sick all of once in her life, and it was one of the least pleasant experiences she'd ever had the privilege of having. She really didn't need a problem like that on top of everything else.

She checked the can near her bed, her day brightening just a fraction when she saw it was completely undisturbed. She pushed off of the bed, groaning. Her back was stiff. While the bed had seemed soft at first, there were metal springs inside it that had poked and prodded her all night, hard enough for her to tell through her armor. And they made her sleep awkwardly, being used to sleeping on feather or straw mattresses.

It was well past sundown outside, and she could barely make out the stars in the sky. It saddened her, even if she didn't recognize any of them. She made her way into what she guessed was the kitchen. This is where food was, even if the vast majority was far gone from being edible. She opened some of the cabinets and cupboards, checking what she had on hand that she could probably eat. There were pictures on some of the cans and boxes of things that looked slightly familiar. Carrots, some vegetables of other kinds, and there even looked to be a can of soup.

There was a sink buried in the counter, instead of standing free like she'd seen in most Human homes before. She opened the door underneath, noting the plumbing. Some of the homes in Stormwind had had a much more rudimentary system than this seemed to have, and there were more pipes than she was used to. Just to check, she turned the faucet on one of them, and strangely enough water flowed.

It looked dirty and smelled of rust, but it was running. She frowned a little, but was buoyed by the fact she wouldn't have to go drink from a river of indeterminate sewage content. If the water would run clean any time soon, that is. She turned it off, deciding to leave it alone for now.

She walked to a small switch on one of the walls, curious as to what it was for. She flipped it and immediately switched it back off when lights in the room came on. Surprised and a little afraid she'd set off some kind of trap, she crouched in the room to wait.

She gave it about five minutes with no movement before she stood back up. Apparently this place also had electricity, though from what she'd seen the lights here were much brighter than anything Gnomes had been able to produce so far. She wondered if she'd ever run out of strange things to find and study here.

After a few more minutes of exploring, she'd found another few rooms with more objects she didn't understand, a room that was apparently used for bathing, and another bedroom on the other end of the building. It was completely empty save for a bed, devoid of some of the little knickknacks and other things she'd seen in the first.

Now outside, Slywyn made her slow way down the dirt path to the house, checking to be sure there weren't any new tracks. Other than those of a deer, she didn't see anything. Though she happily took note of the fact that wildlife existed here.

Satisfied that no one had found her yet, she returned to the mobile home. She'd decided to call it that even though it didn't seem capable of self-movement, simply because it possessed wheels. Even if those wheels were deflated, dry rotted, and useless.

Making her way to the kitchen area, Slywyn took out her small pocket knife and set about opening a few of the cans to try to find something to eat. She tried the soup she'd seen first, getting a bit on her finger for a taste-test. She almost choked on the amount of salt in it, closing the can as best she could and setting it back on the counter for later.

However, none of the cans fared much better. It seemed everything in a can was heavily salted like marching meat had been when she'd been in the Sentinels. With a grimace she ate cold canned food, though if she set the factor of much salt on the side, the food itself wasn't all that horrible. All the bagged, boxed, or otherwise open food had spoiled long ago, and there was a large white box with two doors that she was dreading opening.

Even though it was closed and seemed to be sealed, there was a horrible smell coming from it that she suspected was from more rotting food. She reached into her satchel that she was still wearing at her side, and dug around for a minute. She pulled free her collapsible multi-tool that she'd built about a year ago. It had a shovel, an axe, a wire cutter, and a hammer. She'd built it after a customer had requested something similar for camping use, and she'd kept one around for her own uses. It was made of a mix of Mithril and Steel, making it both strong and light. And somewhat expensive.

After a few minutes of searching through the building, she came up with a large enough box to use to put all the food inside, and then piled everything she could carry that was rotten into it. She brought that outside, and set about digging a hole big enough to bury that food and quite a bit more she suspected to reside elsewhere in the house.

----

Earlier that morning, Dwayne's doorbell rang, and he pulled his headphones off to go see who it was. Making his way through his house in his socks, he opened the door. He blinked several times, a bit confused. There was a guy in a suit, complete with sunglasses and militarily-short haircut.

They stared at each other for a moment before the guy produced a picture. Dwayne's mouth fell open as he recognized the elf from the video he'd seen yesterday. The guy spoke first. "I see you recognize it." He pulled a notepad and a pen from a pocket on his suit. "We're investigating a matter of national security, and based on your town's proximity to the initial crash site we're going door to door to find out as many details as we can. If you could please provide me with any information you may have, it would help us immensely. No detail is too small."

Dwayne blinked a few times, a bit taken aback by the guy's attitude and dress, both completely cool and professional. It reminded him of the Men in Black. "Uh... we heard about a car crash on the news, and then all those pictures that got onto the internet about it, and then we saw a video."

"I see. Could you please tell me who 'we' are and what exactly you saw in the video?"

Dwayne scratched his head. "Colin is my friend. The both of us watched the video and the news about it. He's at work though?"

The Suit nodded, writing all of this down. "And what exactly did you see in the video?"

Dwayne could feel his cheeks heating up a bit. He was about to reveal his nerd-status to some government suit on his doorstep. "Well, it looked a lot like one of the elves from a game that came out a few years ago. Warcraft? Maybe you heard of it? The company went under a couple of years later, but I swear she looks exactly like the elves from the game."

The guy's mouth drew into a thin line, and then his head tilted down a few degrees to look at Dwayne over his sunglasses. His hand began scribbling all the information down, even if his expression was skeptical. "I'm going to take your name down, if you don't mind. Any information you can provide could be critical in our investigation."

Dwayne nodded a few times, now confused. The guy's expression had shifted from bored, to skeptical, to curious, before it walled up again to look bored. He stood up straight, looking to the side of the door where Dwayne's house number was. He wrote that down too, before turning back to Dwayne. "Thank you for your assistance. Have a nice day." He turned on his heel, moving back down the pathway from the sidewalk to Dwayne's house before moving on to the next house down the street.

"Huh..." Dwayne shrugged his shoulders a little before shutting the door and heading back inside to get some lunch. "They sure seem worried."

----

Slywyn was back inside 'her' building, resting a bit. All she'd done was dig a hole and then bury the rotten food, and she felt drained and tired. The large white box had been cleaned too, though it had given her quite a shock when she pulled it open. She tried the top door first simply because it had looked smaller, hoping that would also mean less work.

When she pulled the door open, she'd been met with a blast of cold air. She had hurriedly shut the door again, thinking it was some kind of magical trap. But when nothing inside exploded or made any other noise than the dim hum that the whole thing was making, she pulled it back open.

The entire inside of it was caked with ice, which amazed her. The building itself was cool, but not cold. Definitely nowhere near cool enough to support ice inside of the thing. There had been food inside of it, but it was all frozen completely through and covered in frost. However, none of it had seemed expressly bad, so she left it in there. As long as they stayed frozen, she didn't see any reason why they'd be particularly in danger of spoiling. And some of it was meat.

The larger door, however, was a different story entirely. Practically the whole thing was full of rotting or rotten food, and she'd had to plug her nose to work past the smell. The entire contents had been buried outside, along with the towel she'd wet in the sink to wipe it out. It wasn't perfectly clean, but at least it wasn't leaking a stench like it had before.

She didn't know exactly how long she'd be staying in this place, but she'd decided to at least make it habitable in the meantime. It wouldn't do her much good to ignore a problem now and have it come back to bite her in the ass later.

After venturing back outside, she'd discovered a small shed just inside of the treeline. It was full of bees, but aside from that it was practically a treasure trove of machinery and tools. She'd had to force herself to not make a sound, as she wanted to scream for joy. Many of the tools were things she recognized. Wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers. Most of the tools she was going to need to fix her wormhole generator. The problems were going to be parts, wiring, and power. Power would be the largest problem by far.

Something else she noticed about this place was the seeming lack of magic of any kind. She'd done some very minor studies in the Arcane when she was younger. Just enough to detect magic. This place seemed entirely devoid of any kind of magic at all. She vaguely pondered if that's why she felt so tired.

Without any source of magic in the smallest amount, she wondered if she'd feel any effects, and how badly. Night Elves were magical creatures by nature, having grown up near the Well on Azeroth. It was something she'd never understood about the banning of magic. They used it every day, and yet all those sources remained. The only thing that'd vanished was the Highborne.

She shook her head, deciding she had bigger problems than magical quandaries centuries removed in the past. She headed back inside the house, deciding to try and take stock of what else she had in her possession here.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Elune

Grimtale likes this continuation.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Elune

Jinx stood inside the destroyed lab in Ironforge. He'd just been allowed back inside after Ironforge officials, among Gnomish technicians, had examined the area for any kind of radiation or power leak that could be dangerous to the city as a whole.

They'd left the wreckage alone at his request, not that there was a whole lot left to salvage anyway. He was taking stock of the damage, noting which parts would need to be replaced, which ones were salvageable, and which would need to be rebuilt completely. He frowned a bit when he noticed the half-destroyed console blinking at him.

He took a few steps toward it, scribbling some notes and half-baked plans for rebuilding. He wasn't focusing overmuch on what exactly the console had to say, until he noticed the depleted power source was trying weakly to broadcast coordinates. He blinked in confusion. If she had been eaten by a wormhole, then there shouldn't be exit coordinates.

He quickly scribbled down the numbers on a clean part of the paper, then ripped the piece off carefully. He put it in a pocket of his jumpsuit, saving it for later.

Jinx looked up at the machine again. If the machine had managed to procure exit coordinates in the moment between the wormhole opening and the machine's destruction, that meant that an exit had been found and she hadn't been simply ejected into the Nether to die. Which also left the very vague possibility that she was alive.

He pursed his lips a bit. He'd have to call in a few favors to get the machine rebuilt. But he'd do it the right way this time. No mistakes with unsupported wormhole generators. Their experiment, while surprising, unexpected, and disastrous, had proven something Gnomes had been unsure about for about a year. Dimensional folding and teleportation sciences could work together.

----

Slywyn was not far from 'her' home/building/base, exploring the town in the night. She'd decided that exploring at night was going to be much easier than exploring during the day after a few quick observations suggested that the humans here were diurnal instead of nocturnal like her own people.

She was currently poking around a fenced in area of one of the houses after having carefully climbed the fence. It seemed that a rather large amount of them fenced off areas of vegetation, essentially claiming parts of the wildlife as their own. She didn't approve, but it wasn't like she was in any position to do anything about it.

She'd had a run in with a dog in one of the fenced off areas, though it was much much smaller than similar dogs on Azeroth. It also appeared to be much less threatening, and of a breed she didn't recognize. So much here was so strange, she noted for probably the hundredth time since arriving.

She crept up to a window in the house she was currently skulking around, peering through the glass. She saw a few items that looked similar to things she'd seen back at the house she'd claimed, but most of them looked much sleeker and newer than what she had.

Satisfied with her cursory examination of the buildings around the little base she'd established, she updated the small map she'd drawn to help her return. The pathways with more of the strange stone she'd noted at the dual pathways with the fast-moving machines were drawn out, as they seemed like the main ways of getting around.

It reminded her very much of Stormwind's streets and pathways, but excessively refined. A light shone from around a corner, and Sly crouched down behind a bush to watch. One of the machines rolled down the street with an audible hum of some kind of engine before pulling up to one of the buildings.

A human opened a hatch in the side, climbed out, and then shut the hatch again. Once he'd made his way into the building, Sly crept over to examine the machine. Many parts of it seemed hot, or at least warm, meaning that it ran off of some kind of combustion or heat source. The exhaust pipe smelled acrid, and was radiating so much heat she didn't want to get near it.

In contrast to the machine outside the building she'd claimed, the inside of this one was new looking and smelled of leather instead of rust and mold. There were dials and buttons and switches of all kind that seemed to be for myriad uses. She drew a quick sketch before crouching low and making her way back to the treeline to venture home, her curiosity satisfied for now.

Certain to skirt her tripwire, and making sure that there were no new tracks in the pathway to her home, Sly made her way inside. She made a mental note to improve the defenses around it soon, perhaps the next night. As she walked through the kitchen area she heard a strange kind of "whump whump" sound she only vaguely recognized.

Sly tilted her head at an angle to try to hear better. The sound was getting louder and deeper, implying that whatever it was was coming closer. As it passed overhead, a bright searchlight passed over her building. Sly threw herself to the floor, her heart pounding.

As the thing passed on, she recognized the sound of it. It sounded just like her whirligig that she'd built, though it appeared that the rotors spun much faster and powerfully than her own did. She was rather curious as to what they were using as a power source. She hadn't seen evidence of water tanks or power cores on any of the machinery. As a matter of fact, the engines didn't seem to have any power sources at all.

She shook her head, climbing up from the floor and dusting herself off. Now that she suspected that Nordrassil's blessings no longer had any effect whatsoever, she guessed that she'd have to clean this place up a bit to avoid some kind of infection or sickness. Especially since a place like this was likely to have diseases she'd have no defense against.

She frowned a little and glanced around the room. There was a lot of dust. Deciding to do it later, she moved back into what seemed to be the main room of the building. There were two couches against walls, and something with a large screen and a bunch of buttons. She guessed that it was some sort of video screen, based on similarities to things she'd seen in Tinkertown and Gnomeregan after it was partly retaken.

Deciding to leave it alone, especially since she didn't know exactly what it was for, she sat on the carpeted floor and dumped out her satchel. Aside from her wormhole generator, she had a few other things. A parachute, her multitool, her hammerpick and Gnomish Army Knife. Multiple teleporters, which all seemed strangely nonfunctional, as well as her goggles, a few knives of differing sizes, a few samples of food she'd forgotten in the depths of her bag for far too long, and a change of clothes. There were a few other minor things, but nothing worth much notice.

Then, attached to her armor in various places, were her handheld High-Powered Bolt gun, combat knife, screwdriver, wrench, and bootknife. Her crossbow was folded against her thigh, bolts secured under it. Satisfied with her personal inventory, even though the majority seemed useless to her, she stowed everything away back where it needed to be.

She looked up at the ceiling as she heard several more things fly overheard. More than a little curious, she decided against going to look and putting herself more at risk. She looked back at the state of the building. She'd set about cleaning and making this place more habitable while she could.

----

Dwayne groaned, rolling over in his bed and looking at his clock. 6:30 in the morning, and someone wanted his attention. He rubbed at his eyes, slipping on a pair of slippers. It was the last day of the weekend, and he'd been looking forward to sleeping most of the day before he had to go back to work the next day.

He padded to the door and pulled it open, only to be mostly blinded by more than one light pointed in his direction. He raised his arm to block the light, and gasped. There were three Suits standing right in front of his door, and more around. One of the flashed a badge.

"We've been told you may have information on the extraterrestrial that landed two days ago. Would you come with us please, sir?" They didn't wait for an answer, taking Dwayne by his arms and frogmarching him toward several waiting SUVs.

"Hey! Wait a second!", Dwayne was angry and more than a little confused.

One of the men faced him, then pulled open the door to the backseat of one the SUVs. Colin waved meekly before the man pushed Dwayne's head down and forced him into the seat.

"Sorry, sir. Matter of national security." Dwayne looked out the window to see several more Suits entering his house before the SUV pulled away from the curb.

Colin's voice came from beside him. "What the fuck did you do this time?"

Last edited by Slywyn; 09-17-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM

Ranger

Quote:
((DA, as far as the car thing, I had just figured that a Night Elf who was used to seeing ships, steam tanks, giant floating dirigibles, among other things, a car wouldn't be all that big. :3 ))
Okay, I was just assuming the default size-comparason standard is your own body.

Quote:
It was on the news. They wouldn't report something like a photoshopped picture on the news.
Sadly, they do.
  • since the story had broken yesterday.

Somehow, I get the uncanny feeling that I've met Dwayne and Colin somewhere.

Getting sick... She's already lost her immortality before, so it can't be that. It could the classic 'you die if you stay in the wrong universe for too long.' Worst-case scenario: Night Elf biology is similar enough to catch the same germs as humans, pathogens to which she has no immunity.
  • a video on YouTube,
  • Luckily, it seemed sound,
  • But first things first: she needed rest.

"The guy?" Wouldn't it be better to say "the man?"

Wait, Blizz is bankrupt? I suppose that's needed to explain the general ignorance.

"centuries removed in the past." How about just "centuries in the past?" Come to think of it, wouldn't that be millenia?

She acutally opened the doors of the car? That's pretty hard to do quietly.
  • One of them flashed a badge.
  • Wait a second!"

I'm liking this. I can always use a few laughs to brighten my day, and you deliver. More of your excellent work, please!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

DA, you've been on everyone else's new updates but not Lehne's. He's sad.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Whenever I see this thread I read "Sly's Suppository". Just thought you should know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Elune

To anyone that liked Slywyn's fanfics as much as I did but haven't seen anymore of his updates to them I found this website and his fanfic updates are located in them.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7393905/9/Collision

I don't know why he would move them there instead of updating here, come to think of it I haven't seen him post a lot either.

Grimtale am sad.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Then please just stop posting if all you're going to do is whine.
Kay. Bye.
That's Sly's last post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: AndyJP#1205
Send a message via AIM to AndyJP

I haven't read through everything yet, but I really love that you put so much thought into your characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus
AndyJP is indisputably superior to me in every way.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
That's Sly's last post.
His loss. Those who don't post here don't get me. The wierdest part is that his conversational posts felt "male," while his fiction felt "female." Maybe it's me.